Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Are the ICE authored books any good then?

Malazan is one of my favourite fantasy series and I'd rather not taint my memory by reading ICE's efforts if they're too terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

They aren't as good as Erikson but they are no worse than your standard fantasy fare. Quality varies, most people here would say Night of Knives is the worst and Orb Scepter Throne the best. I just finished Blood and Bone and thought it good. The only ICE I haven't read NoK because everyone here was ragging on it. If you like the Malazan world then I would say go for it. In saying that I just started Forge of Darkness and goddamn Erikson is on a whole other level.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

dishwasherlove posted:

They aren't as good as Erikson but they are no worse than your standard fantasy fare. Quality varies, most people here would say Night of Knives is the worst and Orb Scepter Throne the best. I just finished Blood and Bone and thought it good. The only ICE I haven't read NoK because everyone here was ragging on it. If you like the Malazan world then I would say go for it. In saying that I just started Forge of Darkness and goddamn Erikson is on a whole other level.

Cool, I'll give it a go but amazon only seems to stock books 4 and 5 in Kindle version :(

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

WastedJoker posted:

Cool, I'll give it a go but amazon only seems to stock books 4 and 5 in Kindle version :(

ICE's books do follow a timeline and have some exclusive characters; Return of the Crimson guard is good, that's the one you should start with. Stonewielder is bland I thought but has some interesting history about Korel and the Stormriders. ICE's books tie in with themselves as well with the main series so it isn't the best to skip any, except Night of Knives. NoK is awful, you already know most of the story from the main series, and maybe you miss out on one character or two ICE introduces that show up in his other books but it can be safely skipped.

After Stonewielder is Orb, Scepter, Throne and it was really good, but I've heard mixed things about Blood and Bone but that wont be released here in the USA for months.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

dishwasherlove posted:

True.
The main reason for reading Esslemont is to get the back history of different characters and factions that appear in the main series. The difference in class between Erikson and Esslemont is quite noticeable.
Let's just hope that Esslemont don't gently caress up Assail, I've been waiting for that story since Memories of Ice.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Erikson has ruined epic fantasy novels for me.

I've recently been reading The Dark That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker. It's a good book, nicely epic and with a unique world. But after Erikson...it just feels very one dimensional. There is only one major plotline and most characters are largely unimportant. Even the various geographical locations seem pretty unimportant. The difference between two states rather than two continents.

Erikson! :argh:

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I had a bit of a break before I picked up Reaper's Gate, so MT seems like forever ago. I'm having problems remember some details about the Errant. What kind of God is he? I remember vaguely at the end of Midnight Tide during the final scenes just sort of watching events unfold and being smug about it. That and people basically substituting his name in for Hood in cursing (because nothing dies there?) but that's about it. Or is a lot of that stuff intentionally vague at this time?

It's hard to tell with these books sometimes.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Robot Danger posted:

I had a bit of a break before I picked up Reaper's Gate, so MT seems like forever ago. I'm having problems remember some details about the Errant. What kind of God is he? I remember vaguely at the end of Midnight Tide during the final scenes just sort of watching events unfold and being smug about it. That and people basically substituting his name in for Hood in cursing (because nothing dies there?) but that's about it. Or is a lot of that stuff intentionally vague at this time?

It's hard to tell with these books sometimes.

The Errant is an Elder god and the Mayer of the Holds. The way that I like to think of him it's a mix between the twins (Oponn) and the Master of the Deck. He controls fates and nudges people in certain directions to take certain actions. People in Lether die, but I don't know what Hold they go to, or if they go to Hood's realm. I don't even know if it's specifically stated what happens when people in Lether die.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Lether basicallly has a poo poo ton of ghosts from tiste vs. k'chain times up to the current day of the books. as all the ice and poo poo melts, hood/death is better able to reassert control of dead dudes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm really glad I decided to reread the series before trying to read Toll the Hounds again. I skipped Gardens of the Moon since for some reason that sticks clearest in my memory even though I read it so long ago. I'm picking up all sorts of things you don't get first time around though and probably wouldn't remember. I'm really struggling not to read the wiki for things I half remember that have come up in case I spoil anything in the future though. Its just going to be April probably by the time I've finished the series.

An example of a half memory was combining the end of Deadhouse Gates for Kalam and what happens in the Bonehunters. Now I'm really curious as to what happens in the Bonehunters since I don't remember

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

pakman posted:

The Errant is an Elder god and the Mayer of the Holds. The way that I like to think of him it's a mix between the twins (Oponn) and the Master of the Deck. He controls fates and nudges people in certain directions to take certain actions. People in Lether die, but I don't know what Hold they go to, or if they go to Hood's realm. I don't even know if it's specifically stated what happens when people in Lether die.

I was really far off on my timeline as far as when Midnight Tides took place. I thought it was more of a case of Lether just being so far in the past more than that it just more of a backwater place in the world. Kind of like a long Dark Age period following fall of the First Empire. It didn't seem too strange considering the Tiste races living so long to have Trull in the other books.

Then Icarium just stepped off the boat and blew my mind.

I had it in my mind that everything that happened in Midnight Tides was thousands of years before Gardens on the Moon.

I feel quite stupid.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Robot Danger posted:

I was really far off on my timeline as far as when Midnight Tides took place. I thought it was more of a case of Lether just being so far in the past more than that it just more of a backwater place in the world. Kind of like a long Dark Age period following fall of the First Empire. It didn't seem too strange considering the Tiste races living so long to have Trull in the other books.

I had it in my mind that everything that happened in Midnight Tides was thousands of years before Gardens on the Moon.

I feel quite stupid.

Don't.

It's a plot point that the Nascent fucks hard with Trull's perception of time

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Robot Danger posted:

I feel quite stupid.

Yeah, don't feel bad at all. I thought exactly the same thing when I first read the book as well. I was very confused when all the characters started to interact.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

How is Forge of Darkness? I've been away from the Malazan universe since finishing TCG since I didn't really like ICE's writing. How does it compare to the original series?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Forge of Darkness is really really good but also really really different because it's structured differently than most Malazan books.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

For every question answered, another two appear. Can't wait for the next two books in the trilogy, although the Tiste are depressing as hell.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Ochowie posted:

How is Forge of Darkness? I've been away from the Malazan universe since finishing TCG since I didn't really like ICE's writing. How does it compare to the original series?

If you love the Malazan universe, Forge of Darkness is amazing. I loved it. Not much action but man does it make you look at the series differently.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Robot Danger posted:

When does this happen? I just finished it and have no recollection of this. Maybe i glossed over it somehow.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pakman posted:

Yeah, don't feel bad at all. I thought exactly the same thing when I first read the book as well. I was very confused when all the characters started to interact.

One of the things I've noticed in the books is that it's really, really hard to get a feel for the size and character of the world.

I just found this map that helps me visualize it a lot better:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SniTwfm5BwE/S_1KGMFTFpI/AAAAAAAACbo/nwNnJnEtBYg/s1600/Malazan+Book+of+the+Fallen+Cool+Map.jpg

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

gregarious Ted posted:

When does this happen? I just finished it and have no recollection of this. Maybe i glossed over it somehow.
This doesn't happen in Midnight Tides. Book 7 - Reaper's Gale - will continue the plotlines from Lether and connect it to the rest of the world.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So after reading Stonewielder, I'm re-reading (well, listening to this time, whatevs) Memories of Ice. Hit the quote at the start of Book 3. Mind = blown.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

dwarf74 posted:

So after reading Stonewielder, I'm re-reading (well, listening to this time, whatevs) Memories of Ice. Hit the quote at the start of Book 3. Mind = blown.

Quote that quote! I don't have MoI and now I'm all curious.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
It's probably that bit about Heboric.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Leospeare posted:

Quote that quote! I don't have MoI and now I'm all curious.

quote:

The Last Mortal Sword of Fener’s Reve was Fanald of Cawn Vor, who was killed in the Chaining. The last Boar-cloaked Destriant was Ipshank of Korelri, who vanished during the Last Flight of Manask on the Stratem Icefields. Another waited to claim that title, but was cast out from the temple before it came to him, and that man’s name has been stricken from all records. It is known, however, that he was from Unta; that he had begun his days as a cutpurse living on its foul streets, and that his casting out from the temple was marked by the singular punishment of Fener’s Reve . . .

...basically, it puts those two in better context w/ Heboric and displays a lot more extensive foreshadowing than I'd suspected.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I really wish the quotes would come back instead of the poetry that I now slip over at the beginning of every chapter. :(

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Finished Toll the Hounds, and overall wasn't too impressed by it. It wasn't as much of a slog for me as Midnight Tides was, but was definitely not one of my favorites. I think what really killed it for me was the Kruppe narration. His dialogue is ok, and sometimes pretty funny. But having to go through pages of it at a time is... difficult.. So far the next book is off to a better start for me though.

Questions about the end: Why did Hood have to take physical form and get killed by Rake to get sucked into Dragnipur, yet his army could just waltz right in? Or did he somehow take them all with him? And uh... what the heck was up with the moon exploding? Did the hounds of light cause that? Or should I file it away in the "maybe it will make sense later" bin?

Speaking of which, should I know by this point what was up with Heboric and the giant green statues? I vaguely remember something about them coming from wherever the Crippled God came from, but other than that I have no idea how they're supposed to tie in to things, or what's up with the people inside them, or how touching the statue gave Heboric hands, or anything really. Did I overlook something, or does it just not get explained until later?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm about half way through Forge of Darkness, and I've got to say, I love that all of these forgettable minor Tiste characters are going to actually be memorable on my next readthrough of the ten book series. I feel like it's going to really add a dimension to it, and make their arcs meaningful.

CORN NOG posted:

Speaking of which, should I know by this point what was up with Heboric and the giant green statues? I vaguely remember something about them coming from wherever the Crippled God came from, but other than that I have no idea how they're supposed to tie in to things, or what's up with the people inside them, or how touching the statue gave Heboric hands, or anything really. Did I overlook something, or does it just not get explained until later?

I don't remember where the explanations are, so this might be a spoiler for you, but my understanding was something like those are the Crippled God's worshippers from his own world, coming to try and save him. When he touched the buried statue Heboric accidentally triggered them to come looking for him in greater numbers. That's probably as far as I can go, that plotline is still going in book 10. Now that I think about it, I've never read a really good explanation of the entire Heboric/Statues/Fener/Ghost Hands plotline. It'd be cool if somebody with a few more rereads under their belt attempted one.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've never read a really good explanation of the entire Heboric/Statues/Fener/Ghost Hands plotline. It'd be cool if somebody with a few more rereads under their belt attempted one.

I never really understood this one either. I thought it would end up playing a much larger part in the overall story arc and then it just kind of fizzled. Or at least, it seemed to and I missed some crucial element.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CORN NOG posted:

Finished Toll the Hounds, and overall wasn't too impressed by it. It wasn't as much of a slog for me as Midnight Tides was, but was definitely not one of my favorites.

Questions about the end: [spoiler]Why did Hood have to take physical form and get killed by Rake to get sucked into Dragnipur, yet his army could just waltz right in? Or did he somehow take them all with him?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was the whole thing, being able to pull them in after he'd reached it was part of the plan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm onto House of Chains now. How long is the Karsa Orlong stuff? Before the story starts proper that is. I remember most of it and its fairly basic so a bit dull on the reread. I'm not going to skip it but wondering how much longer I have to go. They just had the Rathyd village bit and my kindle has it at 5%.

zzttaozia
Aug 26, 2009

suck it down

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm onto House of Chains now. How long is the Karsa Orlong stuff? Before the story starts proper that is. I remember most of it and its fairly basic so a bit dull on the reread. I'm not going to skip it but wondering how much longer I have to go. They just had the Rathyd village bit and my kindle has it at 5%.

Karsa is one of the best characters in the series. He starts off pretty bad in HoC but it gets better.

Edit: Just read your post properly; the Karsa chapters are pretty constant throughout the novel, but it gets better, reading wise.

zzttaozia fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 27, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I guess I meant, how long before its not just Karsa?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think the story opens back up again once you hit Part 2.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Scott Bakula posted:

I guess I meant, how long before its not just Karsa?

The Karsa part takes up the first fourth/fifth or so (third at most) . I think it's just Book 1 of HoC. Sorry that's still a huge range but it's been a while.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Finally finished my six month long reread-everything-then-read-TCG-athon. :toot:

I really thought the whole epic stuff wasn't as good as the more basic military fantasy from the start of the series. That, and there's something that bugs me:

There doesn't seem to be any kind of gradual transition from "the Crippled God is the BBEG" to "TCG is actually super nice and on the good guys' side." (book 10 spoilers)

It felt like it came completely out of left field for me, and my reread included all of ICE's stuff as well. Did I miss something blindingly obvious or was it really as odd as it seems to me?

e; actually, what the hell happened to the whole Skinner stealing the Blessed Lady's box thing and "usurping" TCG's power (Stonewielder spoiler) that gets mentioned towards the end of The Crippled God, that seems to have gone absolutely nowhere.

It seems like it would make a lot more sense if the TCG incarnation that gives Rhulad the sword and has the Unbound acting like dicks originally is a completely separate thing from the Crippled God's heart (which, in symbolism 101, is obviously going to be the gentle and kind part of him) (book 10 spoiler) but I can't think of anything at all in the books that makes this intended/true.

It certainly seems like a possibility given that the Lady and the Heart behave completely differently (book 10/Stonewielder), but again, I have no evidence whatsoever to support this. Hopefully I just missed something at some point.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 28, 2013

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
Got a question, did they ever actually resolve what happened to Leoman and Whiskeyjacks sister/cousin or whatever when they entered that portal and the Queen of Dreams froze them in time there, or was that meant to be the whole point? That they didn't get away and have now been imprisoned by her

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Chucullinn posted:

Got a question, did they ever actually resolve what happened to Leoman and Whiskeyjacks sister/cousin or whatever when they entered that portal and the Queen of Dreams froze them in time there, or was that meant to be the whole point? That they didn't get away and have now been imprisoned by her

read orb, sceptre, throne

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I finished Dust of Dreams last night.

I really don't understand why Tool is now on a mission to kill absolutely everyone. Is it because the Senan did nothing after he was "murdered" or was it because Toc denied him entry to the warren where Udinaas was staying with the Imass?

At the end when the sky keep was made into a house of the Azath, was it even an Azath? I know that Icarium made a finnest of the Errant's eye given to him by Feather Witch (somehow). And then when Sinn and Grub appeared at the end by Stormy and Gesler, I assume they were using the power of the new warrens that Icarium has created to defeat the Nu'ruhk sky keeps. Are these new warrens more powerful than the ones of K'rul? Or are they just an imposition of a new order upon the old ones?

I am really confused after reading this book, but I'm assuming that most of the big story points are wrapped up in The Crippled God, and what happened to the Bonehunters and the Letherii when fighting the Nu'ruhk Che'Malle.

This is really the first time where I really have no idea what is going on right now.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Blood and Bone ties up a bit more of the fragments of Crippled God. Although I don't remember a resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I love that even people who have read the entire series can post here about events and characters and I, another person who has read the entire series, can have no loving idea what they're talking about nor be able to adequately answer questions.