Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

No, it's an American model. I think the pins on my Blast Corps cart are just too dirty, so I was going to open it up and clean the gently caress out of everything.

e. Or are you saying I can use my n64 cables on my SNES? That would be awesome!

No I thought you were talking about opening the 64 to cut the tabs off. But yeah, the 64 cable will work. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

zenintrude posted:

If only someone could mod the SNES to accept the GCN component cable.

And then the only hurdle would actually be finding a GCN component cable!

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

But the Gamecube component cable takes digital signals...and snes... ....why would you... what? :confused:

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Cicero posted:

Even in cases where you can still buy them, gamers generally don't consider old games to be warez the way we do new games.

That's like a completely artificial distinction though. The idea that there's nothing wrong with downloading roms of games that are still commercially available is wrong, and only exists because gamers have this sort of blind spot when it comes to piracy and roms. The only difference between downloading the rom of a game like Link's Awakening or Super Mario World and bootlegging a new game is that the new game is more expensive. I think the rom issue is a particularly stupid one in retro games. Everyone is so concerned about reproduction cartridges that no repro maker will make something that was commercially released, but it's perfectly cool to just pirate the hell out of games in the form of roms. I'm convinced that it's simply because repro carts hurt the value of real carts, or there's a fear that they do, and this hobby is more about collecting as many expensive pieces of plastic as possible rather than enjoying games for a lot of people.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

BoutrosBoutros posted:

I'm convinced that it's simply because repro carts hurt the value of real carts, or there's a fear that they do, and this hobby is more about collecting as many expensive pieces of plastic as possible rather than enjoying games for a lot of people.

Not just plastic, but expensive pieces of paper and cardboard too. There are people who hoard games just because they're rare/expensive with no intention to play them. Even if they buy multiple copies they won't even open one. They enjoy the concept of a videogame they do not enjoy actually playing them. BUT HERE LOOK AT MY MISB COLLECTION SEE HOW MUCH EVERYHTHING IS WORTH. A few of these people that i've talked to who are like this figure they're going to be able to retire on their collection if they hoard enough. It's literally the same mindset that made comicbooks be some investment before they turned out to be a ruse.

There is a man who has probably enough copies of Earthbound to build a tool shed, and no that's not an understatement. He played one copy but only got to level 3 before he decided that the game was stupid, but lordy he's keeping the thousands of other copies. He's not even selling them because according to him they'll be worth 4X as much next year and it'll just keep going up. He doesn't even have an SNES to play the games on anymore, he sold that after he decided the game was stupid.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 29, 2013

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Did anyone else get in on the GCW Zero KickStarter? I'm pretty excited at the prospect of a well supported handheld emulator.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Little issue with my sd2snes that I noticed, there's some vertically-crawling video interference on my screen when it's very dark or black. This kind of surprises me, since I'm using RGB via SCART to YUV. Is there a revision of the SNES that doesn't get interference, or maybe a different TV? Or something?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Crimson Harvest posted:

Little issue with my sd2snes that I noticed, there's some vertically-crawling video interference on my screen when it's very dark or black. This kind of surprises me, since I'm using RGB via SCART to YUV. Is there a revision of the SNES that doesn't get interference, or maybe a different TV? Or something?

I assume you don't see this when using an actual SNES cartridge? I'd guess since the SD2SNES uses more power (confirmation?) that it is introducing the interference.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Did anyone else get in on the GCW Zero KickStarter? I'm pretty excited at the prospect of a well supported handheld emulator.

I did but prepare for negativity in here. I posted the link when I first found it a few weeks ago and it wasn't very well received. But ya, pretty pumped.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I do wish there was a way to preserve retro games that was on par with our ability to preserve and instantly consume other media like music, tv, and movies. Absolutely everything available seems cool in the concept but the execution never gets there. The virtual console barely scratches the surface of the libraries of the consoles it supports. I don't have experience with the playstation or xbox equivalents, but I can't see them being much better since they don't have have nearly the library nintendo has to draw from.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
To be fair, it's way easier to just crank out new compatible copies of completely non-interactive media than interactive stuff. When you think about it, there's going to be DVD menu interactivity stuff that will be lost in 30 years for whatever standard format we use then and stuff like that, even if you can still watch the same actual movie.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

StellarX posted:

I do wish there was a way to preserve retro games that was on par with our ability to preserve and instantly consume other media like music, tv, and movies. Absolutely everything available seems cool in the concept but the execution never gets there. The virtual console barely scratches the surface of the libraries of the consoles it supports. I don't have experience with the playstation or xbox equivalents, but I can't see them being much better since they don't have have nearly the library nintendo has to draw from.

The PSN has about 200 PS1 games and about 50 PS2 games. Far from a huge collection, but at least for the PS1 it's passable for a large chunk of the most popular games. And most of the available PS1 games are cheaper there than they would be if you bought physical copies. Obviously you don't have that physical copy, but the digital one does come with box art and a full scan of the manual.

Install Gentoo posted:

To be fair, it's way easier to just crank out new compatible copies of completely non-interactive media than interactive stuff. When you think about it, there's going to be DVD menu interactivity stuff that will be lost in 30 years for whatever standard format we use then and stuff like that, even if you can still watch the same actual movie.

Yeah, this, especially when you consider how much garbage and shovelware would have to be entirely ported in order to be brought to newer consoles. Video games don't make as much money as movies as a whole, so while plenty of lovely movies were put on DVD, it lost less money if it lost at all with the comparatively fast and inexpensive process of putting a video on to a DVD, separating it into chapters, and coding a quick menu.

Now what WOULD be nice is more official emulators of some kind. Plenty of them exist for ported games, things like the PSN and VC, etc. And it would cost basically nothing to get the ROMs for these games. Sega has the right idea with the Genesis games available on Steam, but take it a step further and make a proprietary Steam-like client where we can quickly and easy purchase and download old games for a couple bucks a piece and run them right there in the client on an official, perfect emulator.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 29, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Other than Action 52 are there any other notable shovelware games that are hard to get? Stuff like Mobile Lightforce 1 and 2 have dozens of copies still available and can be had for like a dollar or two complete in their original format.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ugh, no more proprietary devices please. Call me a entitled or whatever but I have enough clients, enough usernames, and enough passwords. It's hard enough sorting out legal rights, let alone the fact people treated (still treat) source code like disposable 1930s film reel. Just last year one of the devs of Killzone said he found the source code for the first game in a shoebox under his bed. Konami's lovely Silent Hill "collection" was a mess because they didn't have the code for either game and had to reconstruct it (poorly) from the ground up. What the flying gently caress? It's the 21st century and people haven't heard of external hard drives, cloud servers, and cd-roms?

What it boils down to is that there's no "perfect" emulator, rights management is a loving nightmare, hardware isn't there yet, and mismanagement of assets should be a crime.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

When you think about it, there's going to be DVD menu interactivity stuff that will be lost in 30 years for whatever standard format we use then and stuff like that, even if you can still watch the same actual movie.

I strongly suspect optical disks will have gone the way of floppies within 30 years.

I'm also confident you'll be able to find a disc reader with relative ease (the same way you can nowadays get a USB turntable) and that there will be an open source app like VLC which will be able to emulate all the menu interactivity features (and rip it all to a digital image so you don't need the physical disc anymore).

It won't be a feature typical consumers care about, but I don't think it'll get lost altogether; emulator programmers are too weirdly passionate.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Burning money this month. Just purchased a turbo twin famicom with a broken disk drive. Here's hoping it just needs a new belt but at least my Japanese console collection will be done.. And saving about 125 on that twin famicom will be worth it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

You guys can add this to the Retro Gaming time capsule to be read in 5-10 years when the PS3 is considered "old school." The wizard edition of Ni no Kuni is this generation's Earthbound (in price). It's also a good game, very reminiscent of the "good old days" of console JRPGs like Dragon Quest and Grandia. Check it out.

Thanks for posting this, and I really hope people chime in with stuff like this more often. I picked this game up yesterday and it is completely fantastic. Keep in mind I have not given a poo poo about RPGs since FF9. I absolutely love it.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Does it look anything like this? (The vertical line):

univbee posted:

I'm also curious as I cross the last knick-knacks I need off my list: the RGB-modded NESes have what kind of connector on either end? I'm guessing it uses either a custom cable or the same cable as SNES/N64. I probably won't do the RGB mod if HDMI-outputting NESes are just around the corner, but figured I'd cover my bases cable-wise just in case.

They are all custom ports. You can get whatever you like, but no one really does component or HDMI from the NES, because that means you'd have the scaling device INSIDE the NES and that would suck. Just get ~pure RGB~ from your NES via whatever wacky cable you want. My original modded RGB NES toaster I think had a serial port on the back. My NES 2 had a hot glued AV port. The AV Famicom is the only iteration of the original Nintendo that had anything resembling an actual A/V port rather than just a composite or RF jack, so naturally you'd use that.

kynikos posted:

The model 2 is surprisingly easy to open if you want to be certain. I checked mine last night and it only took about 5 mins. I had to remove the shielding before I could see the board version (print is really small) but I probably would have done it anyway because I'm curious like that.

Also, I tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is full :)

What exactly did you check for though? I have my Genesis 2 open right now. It's got a Sony encoder but what else did you check??

ACID POLICE posted:

- BS The Legend of Zelda if you're a zelda freak which I am not

Yeah I am going to need to know which one of these to play in which order using which hack. I am not a Zelda freak (was as a kid) but A Link to the Past is one of my most favorite games ever.

flyboi posted:

Burning money this month. Just purchased a turbo twin famicom with a broken disk drive. Here's hoping it just needs a new belt but at least my Japanese console collection will be done.. And saving about 125 on that twin famicom will be worth it.

$125 off is a steal. I'd get one of those in a heartbeat if the controllers were removable. Also I like when my consoles get larger in height which is why I have the Sega CD model 1 :cool:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Does it look anything like this? (The vertical line):

Not at all. I'm talking a screen-wide band of video noise a lighter shade of gray than the background (on a black screen), that is repeated 3 or 4 times down the height of the screen. Luckily for me, I can't see the vertical line on my SNES or it doesn't exist.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

What exactly did you check for though? I have my Genesis 2 open right now. It's got a Sony encoder but what else did you check??

On the bottom right of the board there should be some numbers under the Sega logo. Mine says VA4 at the end, has the Sony encoder, and the holes in the shielding when viewed from the bottom. Perhaps the location is different on other revisions?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kynikos fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 29, 2013

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I ordered it in the last hour of the campaign. Is there anything to be aware of it not covered by the company?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Saw folks mentioning wanting a 3D0 and on a whim I checked local Craigslist: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/vgm/3524860526.html

I don't have the money to buy it (since no one will buy MY stuff) but maybe one of you guys can convince him to ship it to you. Looks like an awesome deal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

h_double posted:

I strongly suspect optical disks will have gone the way of floppies within 30 years.

I'm also confident you'll be able to find a disc reader with relative ease (the same way you can nowadays get a USB turntable) and that there will be an open source app like VLC which will be able to emulate all the menu interactivity features (and rip it all to a digital image so you don't need the physical disc anymore).

It won't be a feature typical consumers care about, but I don't think it'll get lost altogether; emulator programmers are too weirdly passionate.

You'll be able to rip it, but will the 2033 movie formats give you an exact copy of menus on current DVD releases? I doubt it. I mean, you can still dump cartridge ROMs from 1983 off a cartridge and then play it in an emulator but most of the games aren't buyable in a new format.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Now what WOULD be nice is more official emulators of some kind. Plenty of them exist for ported games, things like the PSN and VC, etc. And it would cost basically nothing to get the ROMs for these games. Sega has the right idea with the Genesis games available on Steam, but take it a step further and make a proprietary Steam-like client where we can quickly and easy purchase and download old games for a couple bucks a piece and run them right there in the client on an official, perfect emulator.

In 1998, Sega commissioned the guy behind the emulators KGEN and Kega Fusion to write the emulator used in the "SEGA Smash Pack" titles on PC and Dreamcast.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You should have a look at the Sega Genesis/Megadrive collection on the PS3/Xbox. 40+ ports of wonderful Sega goodness, including all the Streets of Rage and Phantasy Stars :allears:. I really wish they'd do a second one, but I suspect the licensing on some of the third-party titles would be insanely hard to get.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Is the NES Power Pad any fun at all, or is it unresponsive poo-poo-butt? They seem to go for pretty cheap.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Haven't been keeping up with this thread, but does anyone know the best place to find authentic, original Xbox replacement game cases for regular Xbox games (not 360)?

I just bought a used game off of Amazon and all of the plastic protecting the insert on the outside of the case is missing and the back of it was being held onto with scotch tape. It's like I took in an abused orphan or something and my OCD is kicking in. I need to find a new case for it that looks like all of the other Xbox game cases (360 cases are more see-through with a lighter green while original Xbox cases are a solid, darker green).

At least the game is otherwise in good condition, including the insert. Ugh.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Hey do any of you internet friends have some NES games to spare? Not looking to spend too much per game or get anything too rare but I got a free NES and need some games!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ACID POLICE posted:

Hey do any of you internet friends have some NES games to spare? Not looking to spend too much per game or get anything too rare but I got a free NES and need some games!

How many copies of Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt do you want? :haw:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Not even one!

VV Okay it came with SMB/DH but how can you consider that an entry in a console collection. Maybe one more to cannibalize for a NES everdrive.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 29, 2013

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
^^ EVERYONE should have at least ONE. (since when is something not part of a collection because it's common?)

Charles Martel posted:

Haven't been keeping up with this thread, but does anyone know the best place to find authentic, original Xbox replacement game cases for regular Xbox games (not 360)?

I just bought a used game off of Amazon and all of the plastic protecting the insert on the outside of the case is missing and the back of it was being held onto with scotch tape. It's like I took in an abused orphan or something and my OCD is kicking in. I need to find a new case for it that looks like all of the other Xbox game cases (360 cases are more see-through with a lighter green while original Xbox cases are a solid, darker green).

At least the game is otherwise in good condition, including the insert. Ugh.

Buy a lovely sports title and cannibalize it.

EDIT : Say I get a SuFami without cables for power or video, what reasonable replacements am I looking at (or are US parts fine)? Looking around online as we speak but I trust you guys might just know.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 29, 2013

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Island Nation posted:

I ordered it in the last hour of the campaign. Is there anything to be aware of it not covered by the company?

I feel that they've done a good job of laying it all out there. It's definitely a passion project for them and it seems like they are running the project the right way. It's all built on GPL, the SDK is already available as are Dev kits.

I just happened to be looking for exactly a device like that when I stumbled on the KickStarter.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Someone brought up snes multitaps recently, are they region free? I have a PAL system, but the one i am looking at is NTSC-J

This is the mofo i am looking at.
eBay

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Caitlin posted:

Say I get a SuFami without cables for power or video, what reasonable replacements am I looking at (or are US parts fine)? Looking around online as we speak but I trust you guys might just know.

SuFami Turbo? You shouldn't need any power/video cables as it's just a cartridge really...

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

ACID POLICE posted:

SuFami Turbo? You shouldn't need any power/video cables as it's just a cartridge really...

No? A Super Famicom? So far I see that it uses the same PSU as the Famicom and the Model 1 Gen, which is fine... same AV connector as SNES/GC though? Still looking. Bleh.

(As in SHVC-001 or SHVC-101)

I got lucky and reconnected with a friend who still lives in Japan after many years who is actually willing to go retro diving for me :3: so I'm getting overly excited!

vv Yay thanks! :love:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 29, 2013

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Yup, same AV cable.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

the_lion posted:

Someone brought up snes multitaps recently, are they region free? I have a PAL system, but the one i am looking at is NTSC-J

This is the mofo i am looking at.
eBay
I assume they would work just fine since Super Famicom controllers will work on the SNES (unless there's something about the plug on the multitap that prevents it from fitting into your SNES's controller port).

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

You'll be able to rip it, but will the 2033 movie formats give you an exact copy of menus on current DVD releases? I doubt it. I mean, you can still dump cartridge ROMs from 1983 off a cartridge and then play it in an emulator but most of the games aren't buyable in a new format.

Well true, those kinds of design elements change over time, just like how books or movies get re-released with different cover art all the time. I can't buy a Blu-Ray disc of Star Wars with the original theatrical poster as the cover art, but I can go to a movie poster archive site and look at a reproduction. Everything might not be commercially available, but if something is interesting, there's still a good chance it'll get preserved for the historical record (e.g. all the old-timey films and recordings on archive.org).

Of course there are trade-offs too, like how interactive DVD menus do contain some interesting design aspects, DVD as a whole is already getting a little long in the tooth now that lots of stuff has been rereleased in HD.

The nice thing about digital media is that as long as you've got a good ROM dump/image dump, it's not so important if current emulation is less than perfect, it can be improved in the future.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

ACID POLICE posted:

I have a copy of Battletoads, PM me if you're interested.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

I have a copy of Battletoads, PM me if you're interested.

He'll play it for a bit and then get frustrated. Kind of mean don't you think? :)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tobaccrow posted:

Is the NES Power Pad any fun at all, or is it unresponsive poo-poo-butt? They seem to go for pretty cheap.
I remember it being fun as a kid but in retrospect I'm pretty sure it was actually terrible. I still plan to buy one for the novelty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Cicero posted:

I remember it being fun as a kid but in retrospect I'm pretty sure it was actually terrible. I still plan to buy one for the novelty though.

The AVGN did an episode on bad NES accessories, it's featured in it. Right here, starts at around 4:50: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kBMscW_dVg

Some of those other accessories...Are hilariously bad.

quote:

I assume they would work just fine since Super Famicom controllers will work on the SNES (unless there's something about the plug on the multitap that prevents it from fitting into your SNES's controller port).

Ah, thanks for that. Just checking first! :D

the_lion fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 29, 2013

• Locked thread