Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Well, I drive a GT500 with no mufflers, and my last bike was a Buell with a Jardine, so noise isn't an issue...So you guys recommend the Pilot Powers over the Distanzia even though I will go on some dirt roads? Also, which Pilot Power?

dry dirt roads will be fine in pilot powers, wet muddy roads or wet grass will not be from my personal experience of them, they're also pretty poo poo on wet sandy beaches.
They are brilliant on tarmac though and wear really well, I have a 2CT front and a regular PP rear on my drz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I would go with the distanzia only if you want to be able to ride on soft surfaces, the tread doesn't make much difference on a hardpacked dirt road. The Contiforce SM tire if you want something with good wet weather performance and life, the ContiAttack SM if you want an all out grippy summer tire.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Well, I drive a GT500 with no mufflers, and my last bike was a Buell with a Jardine, so noise isn't an issue...So you guys recommend the Pilot Powers over the Distanzia even though I will maybe go on some dirt roads? Also, which Pilot Power?

I have a full Yoshi on my DRZ, and the problem can be summarised in what the cops told me right after they stopped me for going across a pedestrian zone and over a small drop in a park;

"Yeah, we heard you three blocks over and thought we'd check it out."

FALSE EDIT: ContiAttack SMs are really good tires.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh thats why I'm probably going with the FMF Q4 instead of the MRD or Yosh that make more power.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I replaced my fmf Ti4 with a Q4 because the Ti was completely obnoxious. I wish the Q4 was even a little quieter, but I've gotten compliments on the tone, rather than the glares I used to get.

Might've finally found someone on thumpertalk to buy my Ti4 so I can get it out of the basement! At least he said he would. I haven't seen paypal money yet.

(You're really in every thread i have bookmarked, Jim.)

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 22, 2013

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Excellent guys, thanks. I'll definitely look into all three of those choices (Pilot Power/Contiforce/Conti Attack) before spring rolls around. As far as the exhaust goes, I guess the noise is up to personal preference so I'll check out maybe some YouTube videos and compare.

Edit: The bike currently has the Conti Force tires on it, and the front is in great shape, so I think I'll just match it in the rear, especially since I would like some good wear and wet performance.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 22, 2013

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Excellent guys, thanks. I'll definitely look into all three of those choices (Pilot Power/Contiforce/Conti Attack) before spring rolls around. As far as the exhaust goes, I guess the noise is up to personal preference so I'll check out maybe some YouTube videos and compare.

Youtube vids rarely convey the bass laden ignorance of loud exhausts. try to hear them in person if at all possible.
My DRZ has a full yoshimura rs2 that the PO in his infinite stupidity decided to cut 6 inches off of.
Here's a vid of it being dyno'd its even louder and more annoying in person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJoX_ILhqzM

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I daily drive a Mercedes E55 with no mufflers, and I cut the baffle out of the Arrow 3-1 exhaust on my Street Triple. The DRZ with full Yoshi is subjectively louder than both combined. The visceral pounding of the exhaust cannot be represented with videos. It's the first exhaust I ever went out and bought a baffle for.

Edit: I have Michelin Pure Powers on the DRZ and they are absolute poo poo in the dirt. I guess that's not much of a surprise. It's pretty easy to hang the back (or front) end out.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 22, 2013

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

echomadman posted:

Youtube vids rarely convey the bass laden ignorance of loud exhausts. try to hear them in person if at all possible.
My DRZ has a full yoshimura rs2 that the PO in his infinite stupidity decided to cut 6 inches off of.
Here's a vid of it being dyno'd its even louder and more annoying in person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJoX_ILhqzM

Yeah, your video is pretty drat loud. Is the 2hp gain worth the noise? Seems like I should just keep it as-is and enjoy it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I once fired my old DRZ up with just the header on, no midpipe or exhaust. It was downright frightening.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Spiffness was riding a 690 in a two heat sumo race last spring, and the exhaust fell off in the first heat. On the second start I was directly behind him and his open pipe, 650ccs at WOT. My head was in pulsing in tune with his exhaust, my only thought was "MOVE".

Youtube doesn't capture the intensity but you can still hear the tone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0XuFaqTqVs&t=30s

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That looks like wicked fun.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It was the loudest thing ever. Going through the barns and enclosed areas of the 'course' was just incredible with that audible feedback. I'd never do it again, but I'm glad I ran a race with a fuckoff loud bike once.

We did recover the leo exhaust that had fallen off. The whoops in the dirt section were just too much for the dinky little bracket they provided.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Do people really put 10w60 oil in their LC4's? It seems like a load of garbage to me that an engine would be sensitive to a very specific weight like that. Seems to me that the engines blow up for other reasons than oil. :geno:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The '07+ LC4 has a comically small sump (1.7l) and the oiling, especially the top end, is apparently quite sensitive to weight. I've always used 10W60, but not usually the Motorex unless I can get it cheap.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Xovaan posted:

Do people really put 10w60 oil in their LC4's? It seems like a load of garbage to me that an engine would be sensitive to a very specific weight like that. Seems to me that the engines blow up for other reasons than oil. :geno:

I've only ever used 10W50 synthetic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xovaan posted:

Most all engines perform differently with different weights of oil in them, not just LC4's.

LC4's do blow up for many other reasons besides oil weight. Oil weight is simply one reason they blow up. :dukedog:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The manual says 10W50 or 10W60, but only Motorex. I recall reading the LC4 was intended for Motorex oil due to the Nikasil cylinder coating. Like all motorcycle oil recommendations it could be a bunch of bullshit, but the reference to specific technology was enough for me to buy into it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Nikasil cylinder liners aren't that uncommon. The Motorex recommendation is probably just a long term agreement between KTM and Motorex.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zool posted:

Nikasil cylinder liners aren't that uncommon. The Motorex recommendation is probably just a long term agreement between KTM and Motorex.

I would be willing to bet on this as well. Nikasil has been around since the 70's on bikes, it used to be an exotic technology, but not nowadays.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The guys who rode 690s around the world used whatever oil and were fine. But givem how I usually rode my 690, I figured it was cheap insurance.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Motor oil is an ongoing never ending stream of opinions and contractual agreements. For the longest time, Volvo recommended Mobile oils. An employee at a Volvo service shop even tried telling me that the engine on my Volvo was made for Mobile oils. Then, Volvo signed a new agreement with Castrol. So now, Volvo recommends Castrol oils instead. Last time I was at the same Volvo shop, I heard the same guy try the same poo poo on another customer, only this time with Castrol.

:ughh:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Actually it was the bearings that were supposed to be the problem. Supposedly KTM used some Silver Bearings (usually only used in niche diesel applications) in the new LC4 and normal motorcycle oils contain ZDDP which degrades this bearing type. I emailed Rock Oil about this a while back and their Technical Manager got back to me with the following.

quote:

Dear [ReelBigLizard],

This is always an interesting one for us.

We were advised that some KTM’s have silver plated components and had to use a ‘special’ product so we looked into the KTM recommended 10W-60.

I can advise that all motorcycle engine oils (that we know of) contain ZDDP including this one.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Martyn Waterhouse
Technical Manager
Rock Oil Company
90 Priestley Street, Warrington, Cheshire. WA5 1ST. England. United Kingdom.
Tel: +44 (0) 1925 636191
Fax: +44 (0) 1925 632499
Web: https://www.rockoil.com
Email: martyn@rockoil.co.uk

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I run 10W50 in mine, its just not worth the risk. That being said I have had a KTM dealer tell me it's fine to run 10W40 in them too, that being said this dealer also told me a bunch of poo poo needed to be replaced that didn't and liked putting excessive amounts of air in my tyres.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm running Rotella 5w40 in my 625smc... I hope I don't kill it. Although, there were a ton of scary metal shavings in the oil when I changed it after buying it, so maybe it's already on its way out. :/

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Yeah, your video is pretty drat loud. Is the 2hp gain worth the noise? Seems like I should just keep it as-is and enjoy it.

Isn't the consensus on here to not bother with full exhaust unless you have the FCR carb or whatever? I think there was a decisive lack of punch when going to a full exhaust unless you had a FCR, maybe even cam?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Putting a yosh rs-2 or MRD on DRZ's is probably the most popular mod out there. I never thought my RS-2 was unbearable although at the right rpm it would definitely be loud enough to cruise through neighborhoods at night instead of getting on the gas. I can vouch that rejetting the DRZ in addition to adding a pipe makes a very noticeable difference. It's definitely loud though - keep that in mind when messing around and watch your back for cops.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You'll get something from a full exhaust with the stock carb, but not much, and yeah in stock form, the carb is the most restrictive part.

In other words, you'll get more from an FCR + Stock exhaust than you will from Stock Carb + Full Exhaust.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The FCR with an E model exhaust is about the best setup, IMO. The E model header is significantly larger around, but the sound from it is still relatively minimal.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have an FCR and Hot Cams to go into my DRZ, I just need an accelerator pump o-ring and a drz specific needle and jet kit, and money.

The PO of my bike was a retard, young guy still on a restricted license, he was riding it with a restrictor plate between the carb and intake but with a huge main jet and the aforementioned butchered endcan. I didn't find out about the can being stubbied till we drove down to get it, in the for sale ads it was still full length.

Taking out the restrictor plate, doing the solenoid and emissions delete, putting in the right main jet and doing the 3x3 mod made a huge difference to the power. It dynoed at 37 bhp at the wheel as it is now. with the fcr and cams it should go up to the low 40s.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I completely hate the Corbin seat on my DRZ. It's so steeply angled forward that I constantly slide all the way forward onto the tank, and trying to keep myself back by squeezing my slick textile-clad knees onto the even slicker plastic tank is pure frustration.

Unfortunately the short old guy I bought the bike from cut down the stock seat so it has the same problem. In pictures, uncut stock seats look much closer to level. Anyone got one collecting dust?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had a Corbin on my old DRZ, and I agree with you, despite being wider, and, on paper a better seat, it was crazy uncomfortable.

Hit up ebay for a stocker. I'm beginning to think they're the best seat for the DRZ, after experiencing the pain of the Corbin and the gel seat.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Is 4500 too much for this '06 625smc with 8k miles. Full akra, chain & sprockets, etc.

I'm thinking closer to 4 but they're not exactly common. I had a line on a cheap DRZ again but the guy sold it up :(

It looks clean and cared for. I'm not real worried about maintenance on the LC4. I'm trying to sell off my R6 for a sumo again. It's harder than anticipated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That's a real clean 625.

I'd say he's not smoking crack at 4500 but I'd be budgeting 4k.

They have quirks but they're great bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Depends on where you are really, but if it were me, I'd offer 4K.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So, back to my seat gripes: Since I have a stock seat that's been cut down, I'm looking at just buying a new foam and seat cover, hopefully cheaper than getting a whole seat.

I see three different parts called "cushion" here, but none of them have pictures. Any ideas?

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI..._MODEL_K2_K3_K4

And is a cover like this suitable (tough enough) to install right over the foam, or is it just meant to go on as an extra layer over the stock covering?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLU-DESIGNS...17a941b&vxp=mtr

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

So, back to my seat gripes: Since I have a stock seat that's been cut down, I'm looking at just buying a new foam and seat cover, hopefully cheaper than getting a whole seat.

I see three different parts called "cushion" here, but none of them have pictures. Any ideas?

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI..._MODEL_K2_K3_K4

And is a cover like this suitable (tough enough) to install right over the foam, or is it just meant to go on as an extra layer over the stock covering?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLU-DESIGNS...17a941b&vxp=mtr

You want part 45100-29F60-6BY, the other things labeled "cushion" are the rubber cushions that go between the seat pan and the frame.

The ebay seat cover is meant to go over the stock cover, and will probably not be a great option.

Honestly, ronayers wants $240 for the seat foam alone. I would go to Seat Concepts and order their foam and cover option. They are widely regarded as the best aftermarket seat, and they supply you with custom foam and a cover that you mount to your stock pan. Plus its only $160 for a known good product that is an upgrade over stock.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/~/product/category=1671358&id=7268114

E: They also have "low" and "tall" options if you want to change the seat height.

Double Edit: I also realize that like two posts ago I called the stocker the best seat, but from everything I've heard the Seat Concepts is the best aftermarket seat you can get.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 29, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I should've known that $3 was too good to be true.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I own a Seat Concepts seat, and I can confirm that it is a wonderful thing.

e: If you want to go crazy, you could order a Renazco seat, but he's really expensive and his lead time is crazy (or at least it was last summer). I imagine they're better than Seat Concepts, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For $160, I'm tempted to shitcan my crap gel seat, put the seat concepts guts on its pan and have both a stock seat and a seat concepts seat.

SD, do you have the stock seat to compare to on your bike?

• Locked thread