Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
the trailer for a documentary about the Texas Board of Education and their handling of textbook material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoeMm0Tm95M

Homocow fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 29, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Oh goddammit, you're off probation again.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Cool false graph bro.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Wolfsbane posted:

There might have been some central government regulation I don't know about, but I think it's just a compilation of various common restriction or warning signs. You see "grillen verboten" in most parks and open spaces, because Bavarians are loving obsessed with barbecuing and will start fires in any open space if you don't stop them.

In my last apartment, the house rules were that I could only grill two or three times in a given summer, and had to notify the rest of the house first. Even on the Neckarwiese, people are only allowed to grill on the grillplatz. Though in all fairness, there would probably be more holes in the grass due to people just dumping their coals on the ground.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Every day I see cyclists completely ignore traffic law. Stop signs, stop lights, cross walks, turn signals, the whole 9 yards. In the US cars and bike's are legally the same. This upsets me and makes me not give two shits if they get hit by a car.
A lot of American cycling subcultures are full of shitheads. SF, LA, and NYC are all pretty bad.

E.g. these pieces of poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlZrK9WYpo

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Go on :allears:

It's great depression time!

The trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange just after the crash of 1929. On Black Tuesday, October twenty-ninth, the market collapsed. In a single day, sixteen million shares were traded--a record--and thirty billion dollars vanished into thin air. Westinghouse lost two thirds of its September value. DuPont dropped seventy points. The "Era of Get Rich Quick" was over. Jack Dempsey, America's first millionaire athlete, lost $3 million. Cynical New York hotel clerks asked incoming guests, "You want a room for sleeping or jumping?"

Police stand guard outside the entrance to New York's closed World Exchange Bank, March 20, 1931. Not only did bank failures wipe out people's savings, they also undermined the ideology of thrift.

Unemployed men vying for jobs at the American Legion Employment Bureau in Los Angeles during the Great Depression.

Bud Fields and his family. Alabama. 1935 or 1936. Photographer: Walker Evans.

Squatter's Camp, Route 70, Arkansas, October, 1935.
Photographer: Ben Shahn

The photograph that has become known as "Migrant Mother" is one of a series of photographs that Dorothea Lange made in February or March of 1936 in Nipomo, California. Lange was concluding a month's trip photographing migratory farm labor around the state for what was then the Resettlement Administration. In 1960, Lange gave this account of the experience:
I saw and approached the hungry and desperate mother, as if drawn by a magnet. I do not remember how I explained my presence or my camera to her, but I do remember she asked me no questions. I made five exposures, working closer and closer from the same direction. I did not ask her name or her history. She told me her age, that she was thirty-two. She said that they had been living on frozen vegetables from the surrounding fields, and birds that the children killed. She had just sold the tires from her car to buy food. There she sat in that lean- to tent with her children huddled around her, and seemed to know that my pictures might help her, and so she helped me. There was a sort of equality about it. (From: Popular Photography, Feb. 1960).

Dorothea Lange's "Migrant Mother," destitute in a pea picker's camp, because of the failure of the early pea crop. These people had just sold their tent in order to buy food. Most of the 2,500 people in this camp were destitute. By the end of the decade there were still 4 million migrants on the road.

Gellert, Hugo, 1924. Vote Communist poster. During the 1920s the American Communist Party was often a victim at once of government oppression and of its own sectarian struggles, but in the mid-1930s it adopted a "popular front" policy of alliances with liberal organizations. Its membership tripled, but more important still were the thousands of sympathizers who endorsed party-supported causes.

Squatter camp, California, November 1936. Photographer: Dorothea Lange.

Toward Los Angeles, California. 1937. Photographer: Dorothea Lange. Perhaps 2.5 million people abandoned their homes in the South and the Great Plains during the Great Depression and went on the road.

Leland, Mississippi, in the Delta area, June 1937. Photographer: Dorothea lange.

Durham, North Carolina, May 1940. Photographer: Jack Delano. "At the bus station."

A very abridged version of this photo essay: http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/depression/photoessay.htm

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Durham, North Carolina, May 1940. Photographer: Jack Delano. "At the bus station."

I want to read the story about Hitler's Love Life.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ho Chi Mint posted:

I want to read the story about Hitler's Love Life.
There was a British aristocrat, Unity Mitford, who fell in love with him, and tried to commit suicide when WWII was declared.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

It's almost as if IQ is not an unbiased measure of intelligence. Crazy!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

There was a British aristocrat, Unity Mitford, who fell in love with him, and tried to commit suicide when WWII was declared.

There were quite a few British aristocrats and royalty that went gaga for Hitler, weren't there?

Shithead Edward VIII, king of the UK before his abdication in 1936, reviewing SS soldiers in 1937.

gently caress, now that I think about it there were a poo poo ton of royalty/aristocratic Nazi sympathizers/collaborators in general, not just among the British.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 18, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

Here's her sister Jessica, aka the only good Mitford. Eloped to Spain when she was 19 to support the Republic in the Civil War. Her husband later went MIA fighting the Nazis that her sisters loved. She then moved to the US, joined the Communist Party, and spent the rest of her life fighting for civil rights and writing classics of investigative journalism.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it
She looks just like Audrey Horne

Here's some random thing I found.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Crasscrab posted:

There were quite a few British aristocrats and royalty that went gaga for Hitler, weren't there?

Shithead Edward VIII, king of the UK before his abdication in 1936, reviewing SS soldiers in 1937.

gently caress, now that I think about it there were a poo poo ton of royalty/aristocratic Nazi sympathizers/collaborators in general, not just among the British.

The English royal family are german. Before World War 1 they were House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, because of anti-German sentiment during ww1 in the British Empire they changed it to House of Winsor.

quote:

"A Good Riddance"; propaganda cartoon from Punch, Vol. 152, 27 June 1917, commenting on the King having ordered the relinquishing of the German titles held by members of his family.

House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha family tree.

Three civil wars and still a Royal Family in Britain. :negative:

All the European royal families are all inbred with each other.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 29, 2013

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fluo posted:

It always made me sad to read about Charles II of Spain, the most inbred king of them all, because he couldn't really help it could he? Kill all royals and all that jazz, but he was just a poor disabled man on a throne he knew not what to do with. :smith:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

These are Charles' II ancestors. Comparatively tame compared to the Ptolemies, and over only about 200 years, while the Ptolemaic dynasty was going at it balls to the wall for 300 years. Which has always made me wonder - do we just not know about all the, um, outwardly inbred Ptolemies or what?

VVV I should probably have quoted the post right above this one :shobon: VVV

Smirr fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 29, 2013

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Smirr posted:

These are Charles' II ancestors. Comparatively tame compared to the Ptolemies, and over only about 200 years, while the Ptolemaic dynasty was going at it balls to the wall for 300 years. Which has always made me wonder - do we just not know about all the, um, outwardly inbred Ptolemies or what?

Had to look that one up.

It's a horrific soap opera.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Smirr posted:

Inbreeding is only a problem as it makes the inheritance of recessive or co-whatever negative genetic traits more likely to appear. So if there is a chance for something bad or a mutation makes the bad poo poo come up, that stuff isn't gotten rid off. If they get lucky with the genetic dice, then there wouldn't be that big of a problem. Homozygosity is not really an instant death sentence.
Also, as the Pharaoh would usually have his pick of several sisters, he could choose the one, least, uhh, yeah.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Is this seriously a thing now?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

e: oh i guess this is mega old. oh well

The Ass Stooge fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 29, 2013

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pussy Cartel posted:

Is this seriously a thing now?

It's from Cracked, actually, so no.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yesterday, in a village in Mali

ThirdReichNRoll
Nov 21, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Inbreeding is only a problem as it makes the inheritance of recessive or co-whatever negative genetic traits more likely to appear. So if there is a chance for something bad or a mutation makes the bad poo poo come up, that stuff isn't gotten rid off. If they get lucky with the genetic dice, then there wouldn't be that big of a problem. Homozygosity is not really an instant death sentence.
Also, as the Pharaoh would usually have his pick of several sisters, he could choose the one, least, uhh, yeah.
That's not true; decreased genetic diversity always has a negative effect on the immune system. Your immune system depends a lot on random chance and basically rolling the dice repeatedly until it hits on a combination that works. To continue the metaphor, inbred people have fewer sets of dice to roll so they're less likely to hit on the right combination and even if they do, it will usually take them longer. Before the age of antibiotics and vaccines, this would have been a pretty drat big problem. It still is a big problem for endangered species like the Tasmanian Devil, which may soon go extinct because it's so inbred.

B-cell immunoglobulin recombination

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fluo posted:

Not really limited to royalty, though. Cousin-marriages were practiced in most of the western world, though usually by the wealthy & the bourgoisie. It was a way to keep wealth and land from being "diluted" by the family growing too large. In Denmark, it required royal permission until fairly recently. Currently, there are no restrictions but it's exceedingly rare.

(from my own family tree; Christen Jensen Staunstrup Riis being the grandfather of cousin-couple husband & wife. He was a somewhat rich land-owner)

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8cYgYU5OGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Is John Kerry the first Secretary of State to have appeared on a TV Sitcom?

• Locked thread