Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alright, I'm ready to sit down and play King's Field. I'm playing the one labeled "1" in the US so I guess that's King's Field 2 in Japan. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nohman posted:

I've finally gotten around to playing the Mass Effect series and have made it up to Mass Effect 3? What should I know? Any DLC worth grabbing? What's the score?

Omega isn't worth getting. It's a two-hour mission that adds all of two weapons, neither of which are particularly spectacular, and a few weapon mods that are boring (things like a pistol barrel that does a bit more damage than the regular barrel extension, but adds 50% weight). Leviathan is far and away the better buy, along with From Ashes (which adds a LOT of little nuances to various points in the story). Oh, and don't forget to get the Extended Ending too. If you have leftover points, the two weapon packs add some pretty fun guns (I've grown quite fond of the N7 Typhoon LMG and the Venom Shotgun).

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 29, 2013

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Omega isn't worth getting. It's a two-hour mission that adds all of two weapons, neither of which are particularly spectacular, and a few weapon mods that are boring (things like a pistol barrel that does a bit more damage than the regular barrel extension, but adds 50% weight). Leviathan is far and away the better buy, along with From Ashes (which adds a LOT of little nuances to various points in the story). Oh, and don't forget to get the Extended Ending too. If you have leftover points, the two weapon packs add some pretty fun guns (I've grown quite fond of the N7 Typhoon LMG and the Venom Shotgun).

The cerberus harrier is a pretty brutally great assault rifle, I kind of can't use anything else now that I've started on it. It even has a cool, sounds-like-a-gun sound effect.

And I agree with the other comments. Omega would be cool if it were $5, maaaaybe $10, but not any more than that. It's just a bunch of shooty missions, pretty much. The story's self-contained and not that interesting. Plotwise, it's the Mass Effect 2 of DLCs. Leviathan's neat, because it sheds a little more background on the universe, and some of the missions go a little bit beyond the usual "walk down this hall, shoot some dudes, now shoot some dudes in a room" fare. Not far beyond, but it's nice to see the effort.

From Ashes doesn't offer a terribly fun mission, but the character you get out of it is pretty unique and it's neat to have them around for universe-fleshing-out purposes. I can't remember how much it costs, but it's worth it if it's cheap I'd say.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Project1 posted:

The Void?

I loved Pathologic, Cargo was not bad, but I don't seem to be able to get into this. Love the aesthetics and ideas, just that the gameplay isn't triggering for me (yet). I've checked the wiki, but there's not much there.

Try to use Azure, Emerald and Silver for utility purposes as they have the least negative effects on the void and you can use empty vials of colour to move across the map.

Always try having a lot of Violet when planting gardens and always keep a stockpile of Gold for feeding sisters as it will help you get the most out of these activities.

Don't open more than 2 hearts of a sister until you know what you are doing.

If you can't hurt something, you might need a certain glyph to actually damage it.

Feeding a sister will have them give you advice. Therefore it's best to try and give them small amounts until they run out of things to say.

For bosses, you will need a full usuable vials of pretty much everything so that you can whack their weaknesses. You will get some colour back once you defeat them so go wild. For your stored colour, use Crimson for attack, Azure for speed and Emerald for defense.

If you can, don't even bother killing the predators. Just avoid them. However, the larger ones that look like tumors with flippers give up silver when killed which can sometimes be useful as silver is relatively rare.

I think the Owl and Hawk glyphs are the most useful attack glyphs and you will probably need them for later bosses but the order you get glyphs is relatively random so try not to worry about it too much.

I hope this helps since the void is really the best thing and I hope you enjoy it.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
Thanks for the Zelda tips guys! Those help a lot. :hfive:

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

From Ashes doesn't offer a terribly fun mission, but the character you get out of it is pretty unique and it's neat to have them around for universe-fleshing-out purposes. I can't remember how much it costs, but it's worth it if it's cheap I'd say.

And you get a cool gun!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh and for the Mass Effect 3 guy; make sure you did all the content DLC from ME2 before you start (Kasumi - Stolen Memory, Overlord, Shadow Broker, and Arrival). They influence a ton of little things, and they're all pretty decent in their own right.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 29, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Capitalism Bro! posted:

I hope this helps since the void is really the best thing and I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, I'll give those a shot. One thing I remember from playing a year or two ago is that I kept getting a "you screwed up this rune and wasted colour" message. The wiki says "- Unless attacking or feeding, do not hold down your mouse button as you'll basically drop a bunch of extra color on something when all you need to make the runes is usually a bare minimum amount." Not sure I understand how I can draw without holding down a button.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Project1 posted:

Thanks, I'll give those a shot. One thing I remember from playing a year or two ago is that I kept getting a "you screwed up this rune and wasted colour" message. The wiki says "- Unless attacking or feeding, do not hold down your mouse button as you'll basically drop a bunch of extra color on something when all you need to make the runes is usually a bare minimum amount." Not sure I understand how I can draw without holding down a button.

About the screwing up a glyph thing I'm not sure but if the glyph you screw up was the donor glyph, it's because the game tells you the wrong way to do the glyph. You need to do it like this and make it as large as possible. Making it as large as possible is generally the best idea for all glyphs. On the other hand, if the brothers are telling you you're wasting colour ignore them because they hate you and any use of colour is seen as a waste to them.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Capitalism Bro! posted:

About the screwing up a glyph thing I'm not sure but if the glyph you screw up was the donor glyph, it's because the game tells you the wrong way to do the glyph. You need to do it like this and make it as large as possible. Making it as large as possible is generally the best idea for all glyphs. On the other hand, if the brothers are telling you you're wasting colour ignore them because they hate you and any use of colour is seen as a waste to them.

Yes, it was the α. It worked, but it was driving me crazy getting that message every time. Thanks!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Alright, I'm ready to sit down and play King's Field. I'm playing the one labeled "1" in the US so I guess that's King's Field 2 in Japan. Any tips?

I don't remember too much from when I first played this game (release) except for three things. One, it's hard as balls. Not Demon Souls or Dark Souls hard (which are easy in comparison), but just plain loving hard hard.

Two, learn to circle strafe or you will die constantly all the time forever and ever.

Three, listen closely to the sounds in the world. This isn't a game you can play with itunes in the background. Almost all of the secret areas are indicated by sounds.

And don't be afraid to look up help, cause holy hell. The game is just "Hey guess what, here you are, now go!" A lot of the item descriptions aren't helpful in the least bit.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Whoa, there are item descriptions? How do I see them? I have this loving crystal and I have no idea what it does and everything murders me. It took me like 5-6 minutes to kill two of those squid guys because I had to strafe with such a wide berth around them. Now I see some plants and squids which is like doubly terrifying.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Whoa, there are item descriptions? How do I see them? I have this loving crystal and I have no idea what it does and everything murders me. It took me like 5-6 minutes to kill two of those squid guys because I had to strafe with such a wide berth around them. Now I see some plants and squids which is like doubly terrifying.

poo poo, I just looked up a video of the first one and I'm getting the kings fields games confused. The second one added descriptions. Yeah, I think I went back to try the first one once and just sort of laughed, because of how ridiculously hard it is.

My other points still stand though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You're completely right about the circle strafing. The second game(again, talking about US numbering) does seem to be way easier from what I've played of it, except for those horrible mushrooms, but I like these games enough to start from the "beginning". And thanks for the tip about sounds, sometimes I play games with no sound so I'll know not to do that.

Speaking of the numbering, it just now occurred to me that that means it took three games for them to add item descriptions.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Geektox posted:

Anything for Dragon's Dogma specifically for the Strider vocation? My blades seems to hit like a wet noodle.

If you want to solve this problem in a hurry... try searching the tip of the spear on the hillside warrior formation, near the old Arisen's cave or maybe diversify into Assassin or Ranger. They both hit a lot harder (and the Ranger from much farther away) while giving up some of the more tricky, less direct Strider skills.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Project1 posted:

The Void?

I never played Pathologic but Cargo was like a normal game, sort of. Anyhow the Void is much less like a normal game and it expects you to fail and have to restart a bunch of times because usually the manner of your failure is supposed to educate you about its world in some way. For example initially when I saw enemy creatures I just killed them because that's what you do in videgames but in the void that just leads to even more of them spawning which means you will end up having to kill them because now they are in the way. I did this and wasted too much colour but before I starved to death one of the sisters explained the mechanic. A bunch of poo poo like that will happen to you. So make saves when you know you got things right enough. After that experiment till you are dead.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Should I play Dragon Age: Origins before Dragon Age 2? Do I have to?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Cliff posted:

Strike that, reverse it, be happy.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Cliff posted:

Things you should do before playing Dragon Age 2:
  • Play Dragon Age: Origins.
  • Literally anything else you can think of.

(don't play Dragon Age 2)

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's been ages since I played King's Field but I do remember some tips for starting out:

Avoid combat until you get your breastplate and fire spell. You can get both near the lighthouse. You may have to sprint to "jump" across the gap leading to both.

Monsters can respawn and hit each other.

You need to use spell crystals before you can learn spells.

Check barrels and check walls for hidden rooms. For example there is a hidden room near the first healing well / locked chest you encounter.

You can chance getting a Knight Sword early by the skeletons near where you get the Short Sword -- you would have to avoid combat.

Slimes can cure poison if you're standing on them and get hit by them.

Use flasks on water.

Grind and save grind and save gr

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Chief Savage Man posted:

Things you should do before playing Dragon Age 2:
  • Play Dragon Age: Origins.
  • Literally anything else you can think of.

(don't play Dragon Age 2)

What about Awakening and all the other DLC? Is the Ultimate Edition worth it?

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Cliff posted:

The Stone Prisoner is pretty good. If it's cheap, it's worth it just for the extra character.

What you should know before you play is, Alistair and Morrigan are great characters, with even greater dialog. It's best when they're traveling together with you.

Mages are way OP. If you take two in your party, nothing will stand against you. Although, with spell combos, it makes for cool fights.

Do the Black Grimoire quest, do it.

Also, don't play DAO2.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Cliff posted:

Ultimate Edition is a good buy, especially because otherwise there is no other way to get the DLC other than dealing with the hilariously lovely Bioware Store and Bioware points and the ingame piece of poo poo installer. For ten bucks extra, you get the expansion, which isn't as good as the base game imo but a fun extra chunk of game to play with your character, as well as a good array of DLC that should give you a lot of stuff to play through.

I'd go for it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Chief Savage Man posted:

I'd go for it.
I bought the ultimate edition (well, I got it from a friendly goon, rather) after playing through the regular edition. Worth it.

Don't play the Witch Hunt campain though, just youtube the ending. And save the Golems campaign for after Awakening.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also, some DLC will unlock items for you to use from the get-go in the main campaign. Be careful though - those won't work for some DLC missions, like Witch Hunt. It was certainly amusing when my Warden started that mission pretty much naked. :v:

Also, there was a magic item modifier (I think, extra experience or health regen) that was bugged and won't work.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Cliff posted:

DA2 is a middlin'-to-high quality mindless action RPG with better than average character arcs for its genre. The connections to DA:O are tenuous; they change a few lines dialogue and probably a cameo or two.

If you compare it to stuff like Two Worlds, Divinity 2 or Circle of Doom, you will be pleasantly surprised. If you go into it looking for The One True Sequel to the first game, you will probably come away disappointed.

EDIT: Also, yes, the Ultimate Edition is worth it! Maybe consider skipping Witch Hunt though.

im cute fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 30, 2013

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

paco650 posted:

DA2 is a middlin'-to-high quality mindless action RPG with better than average character arcs for its genre. The connections to DA:O are tenuous; they change a few lines dialogue and probably a cameo or two.

Agreed. I loved DA:O and enjoyed my time with DA2 also. It has problems sure but I don't think they justify all the hate, they improved on a lot from the first game, but sadly made some new mistakes too. Still, the story was good and the characters were interesting so I'd say give it a try.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mayor McCheese posted:

It's been ages since I played King's Field but I do remember some tips for starting out:

Avoid combat until you get your breastplate and fire spell. You can get both near the lighthouse. You may have to sprint to "jump" across the gap leading to both.

Monsters can respawn and hit each other.

You need to use spell crystals before you can learn spells.

Check barrels and check walls for hidden rooms. For example there is a hidden room near the first healing well / locked chest you encounter.

You can chance getting a Knight Sword early by the skeletons near where you get the Short Sword -- you would have to avoid combat.

Slimes can cure poison if you're standing on them and get hit by them.

Use flasks on water.

Grind and save grind and save gr

When do monsters respawn? I notice that it only seems to be certain monsters. Also, thanks for the tip about the Knight Sword and the flasks of water.

Also what the hell am I doing right now? I'm just wandering around and killing halberd men and squids and stuff. I think the halberd men might have been friendly initially but they sure hate me now.

I did find what I think are supposed to be several villages with some merchants and stuff. I was hoping one of them could sell me some directions instead of a sword and armor.

edit: Ah, Al Hunt has a Miner's Map for sale. I'll need to sell my kidney before I can afford it, though. Or maybe kill literally 100 of these halberd guys.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 31, 2013

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

When do monsters respawn? I notice that it only seems to be certain monsters. Also, thanks for the tip about the Knight Sword and the flasks of water.

Also what the hell am I doing right now? I'm just wandering around and killing halberd men and squids and stuff. I think the halberd men might have been friendly initially but they sure hate me now.

I did find what I think are supposed to be several villages with some merchants and stuff. I was hoping one of them could sell me some directions instead of a sword and armor.

edit: Ah, Al Hunt has a Miner's Map for sale. I'll need to sell my kidney before I can afford it, though. Or maybe kill literally 100 of these halberd guys.

Don't worry about farming gold for the map. Make sure you pick up the Star Key from the Small Mine before you go too far. You can place the Star Key on save point pedestals and when you use the Star Gate it will warp you back.

Are you at the part with the Rhombus Keys near the bridges and soldiers? You use those on the blue star-shaped things next to doors: This will lead you to the Jail Key (check for a hidden room when you grab the key) and then the Dragon Stone from a NPC. One of the cells has a hidden room that will lead to the shrine and pedestal where you need to set the stone. Make sure you place it opposite of the blue water so you can regen mana.

You'll want to head to the area adjacent of Big Mines and explore Central Village before going in. Both locations are still near the Jail/Blue Door area.

. . This is the point in the game where it's a bit of a blur for me, so I probably wont be able to help much beyond here. My brain likes merging bits from the sequel, and in my mind's-eye I begin seeing faceless blockshapped people within a black void of hallways & wall humping.

The game is very vague, and you can kind of get the jest of what the game wants from you by the time you make it to Big Mines. Keep exploring & checking walls for hidden rooms, make ghetto maps if you need to, check behind gravestones, check the ground for gear, check the ground for hidden gear at dead ends, take mental notes of pedestals and points of interest. Eventually you'll need to start copying keys from the keymaker NPC if you want any of the loot from locked chests, and later, combining crystals to make more flasks.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 31, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Thanks, dude, that fills in a lot of blanks for me. I have the rhombus key but I wasn't sure where I got it. I have the game paused in the small mines right now. I know exactly how to get back to that blue slot. I do have the star key.

Getting the sword behind the waterfall made all the difference. I was totally incapable of weaving in and out before that because enemies had more reach and would always hit me first, as I was coming in. I no longer have to circle strafe endlessly.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 31, 2013

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Agreed. I loved DA:O and enjoyed my time with DA2 also. It has problems sure but I don't think they justify all the hate, they improved on a lot from the first game, but sadly made some new mistakes too. Still, the story was good and the characters were interesting so I'd say give it a try.

Same here. DA2 was definitely a disappointing sequel, but by no means an awful game in its own right. I'd ignore everyone telling you to avoid it at all costs, it's at least worth playing to see if you like it. If not, fair enough, but it's not an objectively bad game or anything.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Same here. DA2 was definitely a disappointing sequel, but by no means an awful game in its own right. I'd ignore everyone telling you to avoid it at all costs, it's at least worth playing to see if you like it. If not, fair enough, but it's not an objectively bad game or anything.

It's also one of the rare games out there with a free demo for you to try.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll echo this. I never thought it was this super awful game everyone made it out to be.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I felt it was aggressively mediocre, but I could see some good things in it from time to time, it just never felt like anything was done to make it more than passable.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I would feel less strongly about DA2 if I hadn't paid $40 for it. No man should pay that much for a game that's merely mediocre,

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I'm pretty sure DA2 is just a bad game. It doesn't matter what the rest of the game is, the mere fact that there's only 3-4 environments that are reused for every single quest in the entire game, as well as the fact that every single battle is just the exact same waves of some random mook enemy...it's just horrible gameplay.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Zeron posted:

I'm pretty sure DA2 is just a bad game. It doesn't matter what the rest of the game is, the mere fact that there's only 3-4 environments that are reused for every single quest in the entire game, as well as the fact that every single battle is just the exact same waves of some random mook enemy...it's just horrible gameplay.

Plus it was a preview for Mass Effect 3's "these endings aren't actually different" style of storytelling.

Daedo
May 5, 2002
Keeping on the Dragon Age subject, I got the Ultimate Edition dirt cheap and have finally decided to dive in. I played it years ago on the PS3 but got my rear end kicked pretty much all the time after Ostagar. How should I be playing this so that doesn't happen again?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Daedo posted:

Keeping on the Dragon Age subject, I got the Ultimate Edition dirt cheap and have finally decided to dive in. I played it years ago on the PS3 but got my rear end kicked pretty much all the time after Ostagar. How should I be playing this so that doesn't happen again?

Where are you going after Ostagar? I'd recommend doing the Tower of the Circle quest first, then maybe the forest (which is a pain in the rear end to navigate) or the defense of Rohan Redcliffe. The Circle quest should get you a second Mage, and that's all you need. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Daedo posted:

Are you playing it on the PC? Use tactical pauses all of the time and you should be completely fine. Failing that, have two mages in your party. I think technically the optimal player character is an Assassin but as long as you have two mages you're set. And yeah, go to the Mage Tower first for two reasons:

1. It's utterly terrible, so you get it out of the way early.
2. Gives you a bunch of stat bonuses.

Do Redcliffe second.