Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Kenshin posted:

Fantastic episode. I was giggling the entire time through the rally segment, because that's basically what I would do if I had "gently caress you" money.

personally I'd jump motorbikes off piers but rallying supercars is good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I don't know why anyone didn't single out the Dragon's Den section of the P45 segment. It's unbelievably hilarious because it's shot and structured exactly how a reality show would be, a nice change of pace from the rest of this awesome segment.

"words"
"I'm sorry I can't understand a single word you're saying"

Jeremy has now insulted Duncan, and he too is out.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Logikv9 posted:

I don't know why anyone didn't single out the Dragon's Den section of the P45 segment. It's unbelievably hilarious because it's shot and structured exactly how a reality show would be, a nice change of pace from the rest of this awesome segment.

"words"

Jeremy has now insulted Duncan, and he too is out.

I don't think Dragon's Den is shown in the US, and I have only seen a couple of episodes of it on Australian TV, or something similar to it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I remember Dragon's Den being on BBC America a few years ago.

Semi-related, Duncan reminds me of a professor I used to have. That class was...an experience.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

You Am I posted:

I don't think Dragon's Den is shown in the US, and I have only seen a couple of episodes of it on Australian TV, or something similar to it.

Dragons Den exists in the US as the awesome Shark Tank.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just a reminder: US Top Gear comes back tomorrow night (1/29) on the History Channel at 9pm (EST).

The guys are going to find cars they drove in college and take a road trip through Mexico.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just a reminder: US Top Gear comes back tomorrow night (1/29) on the History Channel at 9pm (EST).

The guys are going to find cars they drove in college and take a road trip through Mexico.

Thanks! I never watch that horrible channel otherwise so I would have never known that was coming back. Hopefully they keep the changes they made last season, tightening it up to just the stupid competitions. As for the original version, I laughed like mad every time his face slammed into the visor of his awful transformer car. Do they do anything to let the other cars know they're filming while on the crazy busy roads or do they just hope for the best? I still think this was less terrifying than Jeremy's gigantic camper (I can't remember what the Brits call them) on the highway blowing him all over.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Logikv9 posted:

"words"

That's because frankly for me it was a cringingly bad, just plain unfunny abortion and a blight on an otherwise terrific season opener. Remove those five minutes and you would have had a perfect show.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Pretty good start to the UK season I thought - the Bentley and Pagani films were awesome. I skipped over the Star interview because I've never watched that show, though his lap was pretty entertaining.

But it looks like I'm in the minority with the P45 segment, in that I didn't think it was that funny. I got a few laughs from it, but too much of it felt like a re-hash of the original Peel P50 segment.

All in all I'm glad Top Gear is back, and it looks like we're in for a pretty good season.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Anyone know what song was used at the very end of the Pagani segment? It's been in my head all day and I can't find it.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

KakerMix posted:

Anyone know what song was used at the very end of the Pagani segment? It's been in my head all day and I can't find it.
"All Eyes" by Post War Years.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

KakerMix posted:

Is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeYA4LcwdnM

EDIT: beaten

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I don't know, I was underwhelmed by this episode. Probably didn't help that I watched the latest Archer episode right before Top Gear, but it just seemed rather forced to me.

The Bentley rally was pretty awesome, though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MrChips posted:

I'd like to see them recreate the demolition scene from Ron Howard's Grand Theft Auto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW64qB-twPw

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

MrChips posted:

"Man in road" was my favorite part of the whole episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The rally thing was genuinely informative, too. I hadn't had any knowledge of the course callout language until just now.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Cat Terrist posted:

That's because frankly for me it was a cringingly bad, just plain unfunny abortion and a blight on an otherwise terrific season opener. Remove those five minutes and you would have had a perfect show.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But reality show-esque lines like the announcer saying "they think the car needs improvement" after they called it poo poo immediately before is pretty amusing.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

webmeister posted:

All in all I'm glad Top Gear is back, and it looks like we're in for a pretty good season.

This is all that matters. :3:

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I loved when the p45 ran out of battery and Jeremy had to fire up the motor and jetted for the door. Granted the best skit with a horrible car will probably always be the robin.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

meme posted:

personally I'd jump motorbikes off piers but rallying supercars is good too

I've always thought a Countach in a rally would be the best stupid idea if I had too much money

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Data Graham posted:

The rally thing was genuinely informative, too. I hadn't had any knowledge of the course callout language until just now.

I really liked that segment too, but I was always under the impression that the numbers were opposite of what they had explained. Ex: 1 is drat-near a hairpin, whereas a 6 is a super-gentle full-throttle turn. I guess it varies from driver to driver.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I really liked that segment too, but I was always under the impression that the numbers were opposite of what they had explained. Ex: 1 is drat-near a hairpin, whereas a 6 is a super-gentle full-throttle turn. I guess it varies from driver to driver.

This is what I thought, too. Thanks for nothing, Colin McRae Rally :argh:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Well if its all out then its "flat" so like 4 flat right over crest into bridge.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

This is what I thought, too. Thanks for nothing, Colin McRae Rally :argh:

As far as I know this depends entirely on the driver and co-driver. I've seen pacenotes where corners were categorised as flat, easy, medium, hard, and hairpin where the number meant the amount of turning in degrees. A corner read out as "easy 6 left" would mean a fast left corner of 60 degrees.
I've also seen interviews with rallye drivers who would note in which gear to take a corner, making a 6 a faster corner than a 3.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Ecstatic posted:

I think the time away has done them a world of good, in that they've had time to come up with some genuinely funny and entertaining stories and haven't had to milk them to death.

Wasn't a moment in that show that was padded out.

Also what's Lewis doing back in the SIARPC, he hasn't done anything of note for the last 5 years. Get Alonso in there.
He managed to do as well as he could with a team that is averse from the idea of winning a championship is what.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Deedle posted:

As far as I know this depends entirely on the driver and co-driver. I've seen pacenotes where corners were categorised as flat, easy, medium, hard, and hairpin where the number meant the amount of turning in degrees. A corner read out as "easy 6 left" would mean a fast left corner of 60 degrees.
I've also seen interviews with rallye drivers who would note in which gear to take a corner, making a 6 a faster corner than a 3.

I always figured the numbers were gears but it being the crews choice makes sense.

And while I'm guessing James had a bit more training than what was shown dropping someone into the co-drivers seat and expect them to read the notes was not very nice.

Afrika Shox
Mar 27, 2010
Made something top gear related

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Deedle posted:

This is exactly it, it depends entirely on the driver's preference. 1-6 can go in any order and have different connotations and then the co-driver can also throw in stuff like 'hairpin', '90 left/right' etc. It sounds lame but if I'm playing a rally game I prefer having 1 being slower than 6 so it roughly correlates with gear, and then 'flat' or 'absolute' as faster than 6.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It actually more varies country to country. While there is no fixed notes system, you tend to find Australia and NZ goes with 1-10 (this is what I use), England uses 1 to 6, Europe uses 6 - 1 and then there's the gears system, 1 to 4, or descriptive (ie, no numbers, only easy, tight, stop, hairpin, medium, flat, absolute etc)

The symbols tend to be more common across whatever systems, so that > is usually widens, < narrows, ^ crest etc. ! is ALWAYS a caution, this is across all systems as it is a route chart notation. Parachute is always a cliff on the side of the road. The Mineshaft in Canberra has it's own unique call that is common across all systems - !!!Parachute.

Look up on Youtube for Mineshaft and VR4 to find out why it has that unique notation.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I looked into pace notes a while back after watching some rally videos and it was all just :psyboom:. Whether or not James had time to prepare, I doubt it'd have made a huge difference when combined with the stress of the situation.

For anyone that hasn't scoured youtube for rally videos before (or particularly for co drivers), they're always entertaining:
http://youtu.be/rHLotUOvO9A
http://youtu.be/DzbspSE-t9U
http://youtu.be/kJg8E5LODTE

And for the SIARPC I liked in the practice lap on the hammerhead he almost pulled off the right hander after doing a sliding 360 to the left.

Edit: just saw the Canberra Mineshaft :drat:

japtor fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 29, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Cat Terrist posted:

Look up on Youtube for Mineshaft and VR4 to find out why it has that unique notation.
http://youtu.be/FxiyERUauwQ?t=10s
You weren't kidding.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cat Terrist posted:

It actually more varies country to country. While there is no fixed notes system, you tend to find Australia and NZ goes with 1-10 (this is what I use), England uses 1 to 6, Europe uses 6 - 1 and then there's the gears system, 1 to 4, or descriptive (ie, no numbers, only easy, tight, stop, hairpin, medium, flat, absolute etc)

The symbols tend to be more common across whatever systems, so that > is usually widens, < narrows, ^ crest etc. ! is ALWAYS a caution, this is across all systems as it is a route chart notation. Parachute is always a cliff on the side of the road. The Mineshaft in Canberra has it's own unique call that is common across all systems - !!!Parachute.

I love everything about the Mineshaft. Thanks for the info :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
His brother owns that car. Bought it after that, though.

Here he is retrying it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMW_2_j2tTg

and a better angle of the original crash (really fast cameraman here):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWdPpHj07g0

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I loved the TGUS mexican pinata derby :)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Afrika Shox posted:

Love this! Clarkson should be a playable model in the next game. I'm surprised nobody's modded them into one of the existing games yet.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.
Man, that was a fantastic episode. Basically everything was dead-on. If this is what the whole season is going to be like... excitement!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Afrika Shox posted:

Any chance you made those in some very high resolution originally?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
for a minute there i thought i was the only one who found the P45 segment to be stupid, not particularly funny, ridiculously contrived and far too long.

The Bentley segment however... awesome. Really would like to see more footage (behind the scenes maybe?) of it!

Afrika Shox
Mar 27, 2010

Jusupov posted:

Any chance you made those in some very high resolution originally?

I have the last two in 5000x3750.

http://rapidshare.com/files/1715946193/topgear-blueprint4.png
http://rapidshare.com/files/1239493105/lambo.png

Afrika Shox fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Afrika Shox posted:

I have the last two in 5000x3750. 7mb jpg or 30mb png. wouldn't know where to upload pics of that size though, i can email them if you want.
I think the new Megaupload, Mega.co.nz can handle it.