Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

It seems Serenes has been brought to its knees by these news as well. The site's down.
Which is a problem, since I A) can't get the FE5 translation patch to work and B) have no idea how to unlock the gaidens in that game since I've only beaten it once and I was loopy from painkillers for 90% of it.

Which is probably the best way to play FE5, but details.

EDIT: I also got the menu-only patch to work, but all the villages in the first chapter inexplicably started out destroyed, which may be the weirdest glitch I've ever seen.

EDIT2: I also found a character guide for FE5 that offered such roaring descriptions as "Shiva has black hair." "Mareeta has black hair." and gave characters scores like 8.1 and 7.8. Man, character guides on gamefaqs for these games are always kind of hilarious.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
For the FE5 gaidens

2x: Save every village in chapter 2
4x: Save all the civilians in chapter 4 I think, maybe also do it in chapter 3?
8x: Keep Dagda and Tania alive and complete chapter 8 in a certain amount of turns? It's nothing difficult though
14x: Visit four of the houses that don't give you anything for entering them
22x or 23x or whatever: Have one person captured over the course of the game
24x: Have the destoning staff (whatever that's called)

There's probably one more in there somewhere, this is entirely from memory

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Hikarusa posted:

8x: Keep Dagda and Tania alive and complete chapter 8 in a certain amount of turns? It's nothing difficult though

You had to capture the boss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hikarusa posted:

For the FE5 gaidens

2x: Save every village in chapter 2
4x: Save all the civilians in chapter 4 I think, maybe also do it in chapter 3?
14x: Visit four of the houses that don't give you anything for entering them
22x or 23x or whatever: Have one person captured over the course of the game
24x: Have the destoning staff (whatever that's called)

There's probably one more in there somewhere, this is entirely from memory
Thaaank you. I can probably make do with the japanese menus since I've played these games so much. Not sure what that says about me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Terper posted:

Canada got it early.

loving Canada. At least I have overnight shipping and pre-ordered early enough it'll be there on the 5th.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Aw poo poo

I'll head over to the EB Games closest to me in the morning then. Vancouvergoons, I will report back asap.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So jealous. Australia doesn't even have a proper release date yet.

Not watching LPs is going to be impossible.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Do we have all the english names for the child characters yet?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hey, so there's forging in this game, like in PoR and RD?
Can I choose the weapon's color? I enjoyed equipping Boyd with a bright, orange ax. Looked pretty cool. I want to equip MU with purple gear, to match his pimpin' coat.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010
This is the best possible timing, I called my EB games up and they can sell it and the street date is lifted and I have the next 2 days off and :unsmigghh:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just got to actually listen to this and oh man that's definitely Jennifer Hale as Female 3. :allears:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Zurai posted:

It's possible they increased growth rates. We already know the Avatar's HP growth at least is increased since it's possible to get +2 HP levels in the demo if you take the HP blessing.
That's actually possible in the Japanese version as well. Suspicion is the growths may just be wrong. Serenes has a screenshot of a guy getting +2 HP with his Avatar in the Japanese version, so it's got to be a growth over 100% which isn't supposed to be possible for a Tactician with the Avatar's base growth rates.

So my guess is less that "growths were changed for NA" as "growths were never right in the Japanese guidebook to begin with." Although growths could also have been changed, but the +2 HP is not a sign of that.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Terper posted:

I just got to actually listen to this and oh man that's definitely Jennifer Hale as Female 3. :allears:

gently caress yes

This game just won't stop getting better.

e: Does the Avatar character have a significant number of lines, in-game?

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 29, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Terper posted:

Yes indeedy, as soon as I heard it I expected one of the voice clips to be "I'll kill your dick!"

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, is the early release only a Canadian thing, or is it happening in the U.S as well?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Just tried a nearby Gamestop in NY, and they're flat out not taking any pre-orders, they said apparently it's come down from the main office that no Gamestop is taking pre-orders? But I'm not about to believe a random cashier.

Well, If I don't find any stores pre-ordering, it looks like it's digital download for me!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If it's Jennifer Hale, I can pretend the game is Mass Effect 4.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Nakar posted:

Shepard wills herself into another dimension to continue kicking rear end for the rest of eternity. :black101:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Fancy Hat! posted:

Just tried a nearby Gamestop in NY, and they're flat out not taking any pre-orders, they said apparently it's come down from the main office that no Gamestop is taking pre-orders? But I'm not about to believe a random cashier.

Well, If I don't find any stores pre-ordering, it looks like it's digital download for me!

Yeah, when I pre ordered my 3DS bundle, the clerk said corporate was putting a hold on pre orders of the game itself. Not the bundled one though.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Dang, well, I'd rather not bother to switch carts anyhow! I mostly was peeved cause I wanted to trade in some games, but I can always put it towards Eshop cards. Has it been said how large the file size is?

You know, this is good, now I can buy it at midnight and not have to sleep! :shepface:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bloomington posted:

This is the best possible timing, I called my EB games up and they can sell it and the street date is lifted and I have the next 2 days off and :unsmigghh:

Oh my, please post if you get it. I'd like to know. I might have to cancel my Amazon order! :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Terper posted:

Well, I was going to play a male Avatar first BUT SO MUCH FOR THAT :getin:

(Oh god why is it not next week yet :cry:)

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

The Fisher King posted:

So, is the early release only a Canadian thing, or is it happening in the U.S as well?

I talked to my buddy who is a GS district manager, and it's more likely that the 4th is the shipping date. He's not 100% sure because it's a Nintendo product and they do everything differently.

I know EB games is practically the same thing as Gamestop but every time I hear something good come from the company it's with the EB Games name.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

Don't be ridiculous. It isn't like you're a part of a team called the Shepherds... oh my god.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Lord Ephraim posted:

I talked to my buddy who is a GS district manager, and it's more likely that the 4th is the shipping date. He's not 100% sure because it's a Nintendo product and they do everything differently.

I know EB games is practically the same thing as Gamestop but every time I hear something good come from the company it's with the EB Games name.

Ah, I have the bundle ordered from the local Gamestop, so as long as it's available for me to pick up next Monday, I really can't complain :-P

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

I'm going to be in Canada starting the 2nd, currently desperately trying to contact my Canadian friend to see if she can pick up our preorders early so it's waiting for me when I get there. :allears:

Also Jennifer Hale Avatar owns.

UPDATE: Friend successfully acquired Fire Emblem, wish I was flying out sooner.

Rainbow Unicorn fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 29, 2013

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Just called Gamestop. The guy confirmed that Fire Emblem is out next week, not now. Also, apparently GS has completely removed FE from their systems; he couldn't even bring it up to check the precise date. They're still honoring existing pre orders, but it seems Nintendo of America is talking like the entire first run of games has sold out.

Which is amazing.

Also neat, the clerk asked if I had heard about the Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei crossover game.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

RE: early release for Canada, I just called my local EB and yeah they're selling them now. I'm in Ontario.

It's gonna be a good day.:dance:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I had to cancel my original pre-order with amazon then re-order it to apply a gift card last week. I am going to be loving pissed if I have to wait for this game to get a reprint.

EDIT: Now would be a great time to use my dual citizenship. My family would be proud, I think :canada:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 29, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh my god yes. I'm heading straight to EB after classes, I'll report in fellow Edmonton goons

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
As an Eurogoon im so jealous right now. Since I have 0 chances of getting an US bundle now I might just wait for the European one and hope for an eventual release of etrian odyssey 4 over here. :sigh:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Nakar posted:

Wasn't it already Mass Effect 4?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

The Fisher King posted:

They're still honoring existing pre orders, but it seems Nintendo of America is talking like the entire first run of games has sold out.

Canadians are reporting that stores are having 4-5 extra copies. Either no one in Canada pre-ordered or entire NoA first print is being sold in there.

So people who ordered from Amazon or Best Buy, if you get any delay in your order you know who to blame. :black101: :canada:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

The Fisher King posted:

Just called Gamestop. The guy confirmed that Fire Emblem is out next week, not now. Also, apparently GS has completely removed FE from their systems; he couldn't even bring it up to check the precise date. They're still honoring existing pre orders, but it seems Nintendo of America is talking like the entire first run of games has sold out.

Which is amazing.

Also neat, the clerk asked if I had heard about the Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei crossover game.

When I was at GS yesterday paying off the preorder for my bundle, he was telling me that everywhere (in FL, anyway) was sold out of just the game, but there were still a few of the bundle left.

Either way, this is looking like a probably highly successful launch for Nintendo.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

They had 2 copies left at the gamestop I went to in Toronto about 45 minutes after the store opened. Whoever said they were getting like 4-5 non-preorder copies was probably right.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Goddammit, I ordered from best buy, and it only has ground shipping. I'll see if my EB games has it, and then cancel appropriately if so.

In Toronto, for reference.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://twitter.com/EBGamesCanada/status/296288264309051394

Gonna head to EB after class aaaaaaaaahhhhh :supaburn:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:negative:

Why does this have to be the one time NoA is actually on top of things and remembering to street date?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Endorph posted:

EDIT2: I also found a character guide for FE5 that offered such roaring descriptions as "Shiva has black hair." "Mareeta has black hair." and gave characters scores like 8.1 and 7.8. Man, character guides on gamefaqs for these games are always kind of hilarious.

I remember early FE (Blazing Sword) character guides kissing the ground that Nino walked upon, and condemning Marcus to crap for all eternity.

Which makes the present Blazing Sword metagame incredibly hilarious!

That said, Nino left me with a bad taste regarding the "Est" archetype as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Folt The Bolt posted:

I remember early FE (Blazing Sword) character guides kissing the ground that Nino walked upon, and condemning Marcus to crap for all eternity.

Which makes the present Blazing Sword metagame incredibly hilarious!

That said, Nino left me with a bad taste regarding the "Est" archetype as a whole.

That's because the GameFAQs lot were utterly obsessed with the Link Arena, and no character was "worthwhile" unless it had great growths, a good affinity, and good supports for Link Arena play. They also have an utterly unhealthy obsession with little girls, incest, and masturbation to FE characters.

• Locked thread