Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Speaking of Mechs... Here's a post from 150 pages ago.

RodShaft posted:

I AGREE! BEHOLD, Anub-hiss

This was made using only the pieces from 7325 Cursed Cobra Statue(but no pieces from the car).I did it this way because I wanted a challenge and I miss when the back of the boxes would show you 3/4 other things you could make with your new kit. Also the snake/spire statue thing kinda sucked.

Here's Anub-hiss's chest without the mummy using magical snakes to control him magically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

AzMiLion posted:

A bit less participation this time wich is a bit of a shame, but eh. let's hope
for better results next time!

Son of a bitch! I totally forgot about this :doh:
Ah well, since the next theme is space, I can at least make up for it in volume.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

I see people say this and every time I buy a set and can't find a certain piece (I'm a pile guy) I think "oh no it finally happened to me!" and then I find it hiding under something else. 20+ years and so far no missing pieces, fingers crossed!

I am usually this way too, unfortunately both are 100% missing.

AzMiLion posted:

A bit less participation this time wich is a bit of a shame, but eh. let's hope
for better results next time!

The theme didn't really get my creative juices flowing. The space/plane one will though :)

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Retardoniedes got sold on a high-def satellite package.

The signal strength is amazing!

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

ChesterJT posted:

I see people say this and every time I buy a set and can't find a certain piece (I'm a pile guy) I think "oh no it finally happened to me!" and then I find it hiding under something else. 20+ years and so far no missing pieces, fingers crossed!

I get that feeling too being a pile-type guy and have spent 20+ minutes looking all over the place for a piece. Then I go check the plastic bags and sure enough, despite how much I shake those things and double check them, a little 1x1 round blue peg gets stuck in a corner of the bag.

Sorry to hear of missing pieces. Worse I ever had was stickers missing, which was of no problem to me (I have a small drawer of unapplied stickers).

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Thankfully LEGO customer service is amazing and happily ships out missing pieces free of charge. The wait to complete the set is still incredibly frustrating though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

i81icu812 posted:

Thankfully LEGO customer service is amazing and happily ships out missing pieces free of charge. The wait to complete the set is still incredibly frustrating though.

I was missing two extremely common pieces from my Mines of Moria set. It made me sad.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

My Medieval Market Village was missing exactly one black 1x2 plate, but since the set was so big and it's probably one of the 10 most common Lego pieces, I wasn't too upset. (I actually used a brown 1x2 plate in its place, but I'll probably sub it out now that it's rebuilding time and it's not my own Lego on hand.)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ChesterJT posted:

I had my first missing piece ever today on the big Galaxy Squad ship, kinda. I was a black round 2x2 plate short, but there was an extra dark gray version of the same piece so it would have made it through their weight-based detecting system. Fortunately that's an easy-enough piece to come by, and I just used the dark gray for now. Still with this many people just in this thread having problems I wonder if something's changed in their QA process.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I thought I was missing several pieces from my Town Hall (the bags are numbered, which helps, but there's only 3 numbers and about 900 pieces per number, so not too much help), but it turns out I hosed up the build and used some 1x4s where I should have used some combination of 1x3s and 1x6s, so I had to tear apart half a floor.

Happens pretty often; sometimes you just don't notice that they're using a pair of 1x1 brown plates instead of a 1x2 brown plate. They really need to adjust the brightness of some of these colors in the manuals. At least they've put a white outline around black now, but brown, dark blue, and dark gray can be really tough to distinguish (both between each other and between identical color parts right next to each other).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember it taking me a while to realise that the really dark grey in the manuals is meant to be black.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I had to tear apart half the fuselage in my Sopwith because I assumed that the two sides were symmetrical and I was building with my bro in law. The 1X4 brick I thought I was missing ended up being a bunch of plates and a cheese wedge forming a little step. Situations like that are why Lego asks you what step you were on when you realized you were missing a piece.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Went to TRU last night, something I don't normally do. They had two Series 9 minifigs left, which kinda confused me, but the girlfriend and I each got ones we wanted so it's all good there.

But then, holy hell, has the TRU markup always been this bad?

loving $35 for <200 pieces!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Sockser posted:

Went to TRU last night, something I don't normally do. They had two Series 9 minifigs left, which kinda confused me, but the girlfriend and I each got ones we wanted so it's all good there.

But then, holy hell, has the TRU markup always been this bad?

loving $35 for <200 pieces!

They've been getting worse. That's a $10 markup on that set, which is loving huge on a $25 set. It used to be you could expect $2-3 for anything under $30, $5 for everything $30-70, and $10 for everything $70-100. They seem to have lowered those bars, and anything they think is going to be or actually is hot they'll mark up more--I've come back on successive weeks and seen certain sets jump $5-10.

I just don't understand why they do it; they still generally have the largest selection outside of a Lego store, but most of the sets you can find in Walmart or Target or Fred Meyer and get them for MSRP, easily saving you 10-20%.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

InfinEight posted:

50% off clearance items means this is $40? Yes please! Same store also had a huge bin of Series 9 so I found 4 more space orks and called it a day. :v:

No such luck at the FM I was at yesterday, I have my wife looking at hers today. Nice find!

e:\/\/ Yeah, I looked at all the Home clearance tables, there was no Lego at all. There was a small blank area at the end of the Lego aisle with a 50% off clearance sign, but there was nothing there. I missed out :(

kensei fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 28, 2013

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

kensei posted:

No such luck at the FM I was at yesterday, I have my wife looking at hers today. Nice find!

The Rage posted:

Yeah I'm insanely jealous. My Target still has it at full price.

jeeves posted:

Holy gently caress wow. Good score.

I feel like I need to point out I just happened to find this in a clearance section that wasn't even near the toys, it was on the other side of the store near electronics and shoved on the shelf sideways with only the edge showing. So if your local store has multiple clearance sections, don't pass them up since you never know what might be hiding in them.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Oh poo poo that is the FM clearance tag. Time to check both of the local ones.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
This is quite possibility the only time in my life that I am sad I don't live within 30 miles of a local Walmart.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I went to a Lego Store for the first time ever yesterday.

Oh my god, what else have I missed out on?

I bought the Sopwith Camel with the coupon you get with the mail-order catalog for 90 bucks, and then made custom mini-figs for about half an hour.

One of my co-workers upon seeing the Lego bag on my desk revealed to me he's a huge AFOL and has been contributing a ton to the Brickfair in the DC Area. Upon seeing his flickr account, I decided that I need to start buying generic brick packs and start building my own models. Ugh, my wallet.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Goblin King Battle for £50 from Amazon... dare I ask my girlfriend to get it me for Valentine's Day?

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Could any of you kind goons help me identify a Lego piece? Not particularly the set(s) it features in, but even just what it might be used for... here it is:

I bought a nice pile o' Lego (packed in an official Lego storage case) from a thrift store, I'm currently sorting the pieces but this one has thrown me. It seems to have pegs/handles the right distance apart for a minifig's hands.

(If there's a better thread to ask this in, let me know) thanks in advance!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's a jetpack dealie, it was used a lot by Blacktron II figs, dunno if it showed up anywhere else.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

^^^Yup, one of my favorite accessories.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Showed up quite a bit in the old City line's space sets (the NASA-like); I've got like six of those things from when I was little. It's a pretty nifty piece.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Ah, thank you so much! It makes perfect sense now; I wondered if it was the steering off a vehicle; but it kind of *is* a vehicle then!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It's the loving RADDEST LEGO EVER and if anyone says differently I'll shoot blue lasers out of it at them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I used to build ridiculous shoulder-mounted cannons for my space minifigs on those things

Ah, memories.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

The Muffinlord posted:

It's the loving RADDEST LEGO EVER and if anyone says differently I'll shoot blue lasers out of it at them.

On an unrelated note, I too have difficulty with identifying colours when building. It doesn't help that I'm red-green colourblind and can't tell the difference between brown and dark red (a problem that led me to believe that my Winter Village Toy Shop had been packaged without any dark red 1x1 tiles).

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Time to post this again:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The chainsaws were great to put on the bottom of ships as chainguns.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Yes, but what if you COMBINE THEM FOR CHAINSAW JETPACKS

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
My friends and I used to do ski-jumps with those sets down stairway railings - sometimes I miss being 8

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

Yes, but what if you COMBINE THEM FOR CHAINSAW JETPACKS

I could do this when I get home :hfive:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

InfinEight posted:

Time to post this again:

This is basically what I did with crowbars when I found out that the hook end of the bar is the same size as the shaft (and, of course, anything else that fits in a minifig hand.) There's also a hole that size in the large velociraptor's mouth. So yes, much fun was had there.

Goddamn I love LEGO.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

InfinEight posted:

Time to post this again:

That makes me think of:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure I built something like this with chainsaws and an Aquasharks cockpit canopy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uynmApjhWI

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Fair Hallion posted:

Could any of you kind goons help me identify a Lego piece? Not particularly the set(s) it features in, but even just what it might be used for... here it is:

Someone already identified it, but for future reference, most LEGO pieces have their part number somewhere on them. It's usually a 4 or 5 digit number. Then you take that number, say 2341, and put it into bricklink and it will spit back the part. From there, you can find the name and every kit it was ever sold in.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Found Ghost Trains for $54 at one of the walmarts here, and Mad Scientists for $35. Picked up a Scientist, but couldn't justify a second train purchase. Not even for speculation purposes.

Friggin Monster Fighters. For a line I wasn't initially too keen on, I sure ended up with a ton of the sets.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I would've bought that train off of you, you rear end in a top hat.

Guess I'm stopping at WalMart after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Monster Fighter's larger sets (maybe not train though) are all expected to be massive investment makers due to their now-limited nature and how by every Halloween people will be wanting them again.