Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nino does own though. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
She owns on paper. In practice, unless you're willing to feed her basically every kill in Cog of Destiny, Pent or Erk are better choices for being able to play along as soon as they join.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Feeding Nino every single bit of EXP in Night of Farewells and then using her to take out Sonia at the end of the stage was a highlight of FE7 for me, so put me in the 'Nino owns' camp.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
There's also Lucius, and when you have a choice between the manliest man ever and someone like Erk, the choice is obvious.

Dr Pepper posted:

Nino does own though. :colbert:

My army does not allow children. Nino owns the bench like no other though, I'll give her that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Artix74 posted:

She owns on paper. In practice, unless you're willing to feed her basically every kill in Cog of Destiny, Pent or Erk are better choices for being able to play along as soon as they join.

I use all three.

(Why hasn't there been a Mage Triangle Attack)

Momomo posted:

My army does not allow children. Nino owns the bench like no other though, I'll give her that.

Everybody knows Children are the strongest people in anime land. Ergo by not allowing children you are objectively weaker.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!
As someone who didn't preorder, I'm wondering if there is a way to get a copy from EB Canada shipped to the USA. Can anyone quickly talk me out of this crazy idea?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

As someone who didn't preorder, I'm wondering if there is a way to get a copy from EB Canada shipped to the USA. Can anyone quickly talk me out of this crazy idea?

It might not be possible, would cost you a lot extra if it was, might not arrive before the 4th, and you can just buy a digital copy at midnight on the 4th if US copies do face a shipping delay. Is that enough?

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

Slate Action posted:

It might not be possible, would cost you a lot extra if it was, might not arrive before the 4th, and you can just buy a digital copy at midnight on the 4th if US copies do face a shipping delay. Is that enough?

Yeah. I knew there had to be reasons, but it was a bit hard to pierce my desperate optimism. Thanks.
:smith:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Amazon is now telling me the 6th, preordered months ago. :smith:

At least I'll have time to beat Persona :v:

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Maybe this is all just a ploy by Nintendo to drive up digital sales?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Picked up my copy today, really stoked. This is the first time I can remember Canada getting a game before the US since Kingpin for PC, and that was in friggin 1999.

Now time to agonize which difficulty I should start at.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Called up my EB Games here in New Brunswick. They're holding onto a copy for me that I'll pick up as I swing into work. Just confirming that this is a thing so Canadians should at least call their EB Games and see if they've got it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

Picked up my copy today, really stoked. This is the first time I can remember Canada getting a game before the US since Kingpin for PC, and that was in friggin 1999.

Now time to agonize which difficulty I should start at.

Start at Hard. Normal is a bit too easy.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Grabbed my copy at lunch. :smug:

:canada:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Dr Pepper posted:

Everybody knows Children are the strongest people in anime land. Ergo by not allowing children you are objectively weaker.

Anime logic didn't hold up enough to warrant using Nino for me though.

Pent, however, is awesome!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

My local EB games is apparently getting the game later today :toot:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Curse you, end-of-the-month student loan payments! :argh:

Oh well, it's not like I was planning on getting it before the 4th anyway. :sigh:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ImpAtom posted:

Start at Hard. Normal is a bit too easy.

Okie dokes that is what I am gonna do then.

I picked +Skill -Resistance, hope that doesn't bite me in the rear end.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Evil Canadian posted:

Your resistance growth will be bad (~20%) but everything else will be good to great and Skill is used in like every formula in this game (including Assassinate). This is the combo I eventually settled on for my own hard mode run.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Evil Canadian posted:

I wish serenes forest would come back up so I could fiddle with their character creator more. Resistance is one of the harder stats to get, and I think resistance comes with a -5% growth to both magic and defense, but there's no real way to gently caress yourself with those choices. I think the worst you can make a non-resistance (resistance always has a small growth for non-mage classes) growth is like 40% if you really tried. If anyone cares I think +speed -luck is the most balanced of the starting choices.

I swear I didn't even know this game was coming out last week but now I'm just too obsessed with this. Fire Emblem is just one of those games it's easy to get too deep in.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Considering the growths are most likely not even correct, don't fret too much over how small some of the growths seem to be with the Serenes tool; the growths are most likely higher than they appear to be.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
A few thoughts - is it just me or are children characters going to vastly outstrip their parents? And not even in terms of stats - the average of all three is a much saner way to get stats than FE4's "parent's growths plus half the other's", but as was pointed out skills seem to be the defining factor in a unit's power much more than growths now. More accurately skill availability seems to be the big one to shoot for, and parents being stuck with only three base classes means many of them would likely fall behind - not in power so much as in utility.

Am I way off?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EB here got it early too. They won't hold a copy though. They always insist they can't do that, even though I know they can.

Odds are they'll still have copies in a few hours though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theshim posted:

A few thoughts - is it just me or are children characters going to vastly outstrip their parents? And not even in terms of stats - the average of all three is a much saner way to get stats than FE4's "parent's growths plus half the other's", but as was pointed out skills seem to be the defining factor in a unit's power much more than growths now. More accurately skill availability seems to be the big one to shoot for, and parents being stuck with only three base classes means many of them would likely fall behind - not in power so much as in utility.

Am I way off?

Yes, Children are probably going to be better than their parents. They have access to skills they couldn't normally get which alone is a huge deal. Having a male character with Galeforce or whatever is hard to beat.

That said some parents will still be amazing if just for their unique attributes, and it isn't like the parents are terrible, you're just going to be slightly less minmaxed.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 29, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

theshim posted:

Am I way off?
No, you're pretty much right. The children are better and have more potential unless you really screw them up. That's more or less the point of them.

Still, there's more than a few parents who are pretty awesome. But in general Vaike is just never going to be better than Panne's son with Vaike as his dad or something, that's just how it goes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Who wants another trailer??? Because here is one. Character progression!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wish someone could buy the bundle and ship it to me. Except that would probably burn a huge hole through my wallet. :ohdear:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Terper posted:

"This will significantly expand your tactical options"
*attacks a sword user with an axe*

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
A promoted unit with silver weapons can do whatever the gently caress he wants. :colbert:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Terper posted:

Two things; first, music rocks. Second, Nowi spotted around 3:00!

I'm so jealous of my Canadian buddies. I want to play so bad!!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Hey Vancouver goons, ebgames just called to say I can pick up Fire Emblem today. Additionally a friend of mine got confirmation that his copy has shipped.

:toot:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
First you set our capital on fire, and now you take our Fire Emblem??????????

Pomp fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 29, 2013

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
Just picked up my copy today. Chapter 5 now, pretty fun. Also, pairing up is really good: With a B-Crom/Sumia support, they one rounded the chapter 4 boss, just by doubling him, and with the dual attack triggering on each attack.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I checked my local US Gamestop, and nope, still nada.

Endorph posted:

Let's invade Canada.

Third time's the charm, right? :downs:

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Strange Quark posted:

Third time's the charm, right? :downs:

I'm sure they won't mind if we promise to keep it contained to Quebec.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
My EB said the 5th. gently caress YOU, I WANT IT NOW.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Golden Battler posted:

Aw poo poo

I'll head over to the EB Games closest to me in the morning then. Vancouvergoons, I will report back asap.

Just got the call here in New West (for Lougheed). Headed there now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hate you all.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't suppose any goons in Sault Ste. Marie would know if they broke the street date there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
Seems like the street date has been broken everywhere in Canada. Just got my copy from an EBGames in St. John's.

• Locked thread