Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Mac Miller Says "Blue Slide Park" Criticism Made Him Turn To Drug Use

HipHopDX posted:

“I love lean; it’s great,” he said. "I was not happy and I was on lean very heavy. ... I was so hosed up all the time it was bad. My friends couldn’t even look at me the same. I was lost.”

Mac, who was on his Macadelic tour that hit many colleges, said that reviews that branded him a "frat rapper" drove him to substance abuse. He said that critics weren't focusing on his music but instead was blasting him as a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Robert Analog posted:

Holy poo poo this is amazing.

The song is good but why is the video amazing? It seems to be the same poo poo that A$AP and them are doing. Glamorous/Expensive objects on black with nice lighting, and then some random scenes with no meaning. Dude dancing in the woods/Girl undressing/Dude giving a speech. Its decently well shot and done but can you tell me why its amazing? No hate, actually curious

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Well first of all man that was a jungle, not the woods.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

bows1 posted:

The song is good but why is the video amazing? It seems to be the same poo poo that A$AP and them are doing. Glamorous/Expensive objects on black with nice lighting, and then some random scenes with no meaning. Dude dancing in the woods/Girl undressing/Dude giving a speech. Its decently well shot and done but can you tell me why its amazing? No hate, actually curious
LOL you don't get it. I saw this waaaay before my friends.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

bows1 posted:

They could leave out the dictator I don't really get that, but the guy dancing in the jungle is really hypnotizing to me. Plus it's a lot different than Danny Brown's other videos and doesn't have him in it at all. The beat starts out with that eerie kinda vibe like it's gonna be another Cyclops-type video then it's just some surreal looking African militant guy who just seems like he's feeling the poo poo out of that song in some sort of tribal groove thing he's got going. It's just a lot of contrasted poo poo that doesn't make sense really but for some reason it fits together well to me.

For comparison I thought the newest ASAP Rocky video was sort of weird and pretentious. That Danny Brown looks like it could be a Dead Prez video but it's a guy rapping about his dick for 3 minutes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that new danny brown song is great, nice beat. vids ok, would happily just watch that guy dancing for the whole thing, it's hypnotizing

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

the black husserl posted:

Well first of all man that was a jungle, not the woods.

You are correct, I meant the Jungle my bad.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that new danny brown song is great, nice beat. vids ok, would happily just watch that guy dancing for the whole thing, it's hypnotizing

I think this would have been better; similar to the flying lotus video.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

How the gently caress do you shoot at Rick Ross and miss?

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
50 cent said it was staged :tinfoil:

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

THNDRTHF posted:

50 cent said it was staged :tinfoil:
Which is completely plausible. Beanie Sigel staged a robbery gone wrong where he took a bullet to the rear end to promote his album.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

vanbags posted:

Which is completely plausible. Beanie Sigel staged a robbery gone wrong where he took a bullet to the rear end to promote his album.

drat I never heard of that and I really like Beans, a little less now. Also 50 has a point there aren't any bullet holes, I get missing a person but a huge rear end car like that?

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Robert Analog posted:

drat I never heard of that and I really like Beans, a little less now. Also 50 has a point there aren't any bullet holes, I get missing a person but a huge rear end car like that?
Never confirmed, but I think the police speculated it looked staged. And it was his arm, not his rear end. It was Gravy who got shot in the rear end.

Also Wrath of Caine goes hard. "I Am Forgiven" might be Pusha's best drug rap to date.

vanbags fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 29, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ha that must have been the inspiration for that "Fleshy Part of the Thigh" bit in The Sopranos

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

If it was staged I'm going to be very disappointed that he thought someone missing 12 shots was a good idea.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Why didn't Rick Ross shoot back? I thought he had the chopper in the car?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Why didn't Rick Ross shoot back? I thought he had the chopper in the car?

Probably in the trunk :/

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Why didn't the Illuminati/Israel protect Rick Ross?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Anyone got a download for big loving baby? the mad decent link is broken.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
A Clipse/Pusha-T fan review of Wrath of Caine

Overall: Meh
Somehow the trailer for the mixtape is better than the entire mixtape, certainly a way more interesting use of the beat than what ends up being used (Track 2, Millions).

1. Intro - Meh
2. Millions Feat Rick Ross - The mixtape trailer http://youtu.be/yBLat03LNmI with Reagan as the intro is awesome. Gives the whole thing clarity and purpose, instead we get another bullshit MMG track about money being hidden in places.
3. Doesnt Matter Feat - Decent lyrics
4. Blocka - Awesome beat, good song but it's really the only song that stands on it's own.
5. Road Runner - No idea who Troy Ave is or why he's loving up my songs with his autotune but again, lyrics are good
6. Revolution - Would have never guessed this was a Neptune's production, this is the second best song.
7. Only You Can Tell It - soft r'n'b bullshit, the high pitched voice does poo poo all for the song
8. Trust You Feat Kevin Gates - what the gently caress is this soft r'n'b doing in my drug music
9. Take My Life Feat Andrea Martin - decent
10. Liva-Re-Up Gang Motivation - I'll take any Re-up I can get, so can't complain here.
11. I Am Forgiven (Prod By B nk) - Meh

Really, the trailer should have been the intro to the album on repeat for 11 songs instead of this.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 30, 2013

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

If I think Pusha has been weak for years but I loved "Road To Till The Casket Drops", will I like this mixtape? Ugh, why couldn't Ab-Liva get signed to MMG instead.

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
coming up soon!

harry fraud, lex luger, statik selektah...big names

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

If I think Pusha has been weak for years but I loved "Road To Till The Casket Drops", will I like this mixtape? Ugh, why couldn't Ab-Liva get signed to MMG instead.

Can't help ya if you think Pushas been weak for years but I'd say that album had a proper range. This mixtape feels like it's trying to be a Clipse/Re-up album, but not quite there. Production is way to all over the place for me and no real single track bangs unlike Road till, which even has tracks like Pop Champagne which still hit hard for me (and normally I can't stand autotune hooks), the closest thing this mixtape has is Blocka.

I miss Clipse... :\

Morphix fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 30, 2013

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

Lil B made a Joey Badass diss song because Joey said poo poo about him on twitter I guess :rap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfNyPQS5W5Q Lil B's made a million songs but still records through a laptop mic it seems

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
not one of lil b's 36000 tracks fucks with anything made by joey badass, just for the official record

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

THNDRTHF posted:

not one of lil b's 36000 tracks fucks with anything made by joey badass, just for the official record

Lil B makes amazing diss tracks though. Remember when he laid it all out for Joe Budden?

quote:

Shut the gently caress up with those depressing rear end songs
It's the summer time
Get some loving pussy and go home

quote:

Put him on the internet cause don't nobody play you
Performing at cafes
You still underground
How you go mainstream
And run back underground?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTQPozm8bQ

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 30, 2013

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

No.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Lil B makes amazing diss tracks though. Remember when he laid it all out for Joe Budden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTQPozm8bQ

You have some bad taste in music my man.

e- This track just keeps getting weaker and weaker, 'joe budden you're a clown'?

Morphix fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 30, 2013

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
To be fair, Joe Budden is a clown.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
lil B is loving terrible and there is a separate thread for "discussion" of his "music" if im not mistaken (never read it, the subject is obnoxious though)

Edit: but seriously... Shut the gently caress up about him nobody cares

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 30, 2013

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Morphix posted:

e- This track just keeps getting weaker and weaker, 'joe budden you're a clown'?

Is it not lyrical enough for you morphix? Perhaps you would prefer his classic rhyme that ruined drake's image as a real rapper forever?

quote:

Drake said he ain't cry when 2Pac died
I bet a dub he ain't say that poo poo if 'Pac was alive

Cold! Anyways, lil b has his own thread and I dont care about him. I listened to Wrath of Caine and yep its more tepid poo poo from the once great Pusha. What happened, it used to be like zen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb9QGRoNfvo

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Is it not lyrical enough for you morphix? Perhaps you would prefer his classic rhyme that ruined drake's image as a real rapper forever?
Cold!

I honestly can't tell if you're loving with me.

quote:

What happened, it used to be like zen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb9QGRoNfvo

I mean, true, but there's been good poo poo since
http://youtu.be/jf29_fvi9HQ

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJa6FB5crk

You forgot the best lil b diss

so don't yall ever speak on lil b

I saw death grips live the other day and it was one of the best live performances I've ever heard. The songs are so much better and they destroy the stage. By the end the snare had massive dents in it and was on the ground, at parts he was hitting the drums with his fists too. To the people who don't think it is rap, it certainly was more rap than the weak kanye west impersonation childish gambino put on afterwards.

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 30, 2013

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Harley C posted:

I saw death grips live the other day and it was one of the best live performances I've ever heard. The songs are so much better and they destroy the stage. By the end the snare had massive dents in it and was on the ground, at parts he was hitting the drums with his fists too. To the people who don't think it is rap, it certainly was more rap than the weak kanye west impersonation childish gambino put on afterwards.

Not that I was planning on seeing them anytime soon, but I'm still glad to hear that. I like their albums well enough but the Youtube videos of their performances have been atrocious, and I wasn't sure how much of that was them and how much of it was cameraphone mic quality - a lot of the drumming just didn't seem to "fit" with the music. Either I'm not watching the right videos, or they managed to get it together recently.

aeonicals
Sep 28, 2012
Joey Bada$$ has responded to lil' B already, here. I don't think either of the tracks were that fantastic, but I reckon Joey has the edge here

aeonicals fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 30, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
LOL at Joey falling for the trap and coming with the super duper lyrical miracle rhyme schemes and throwing in a bunch of Bay Area shoutouts at the end.

Rass P
Nov 23, 2012

by Ralp
Hi everyone. I'm new to hip hop as well as this thread, but I had an idea that I'd like some input on.

Would it be possible to become less nerdy by liking hip-hop? Most hip hop fans I've seen were strong, black, and uneducated, which we can agree are far from the qualities of a nerd. I'm also hoping some of the romantic success of the artists may rub off on me (if their claims to being "knee deep in bitches" are to be believed). I haven't had much luck in that department, and I respect women too much to use "PUA" techniques. I prefer to treat them like people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Raspy forgot posted:

Hi everyone. I'm new to hip hop as well as this thread, but I had an idea that I'd like some input on.

Would it be possible to become less nerdy by liking hip-hop? Most hip hop fans I've seen were strong, black, and uneducated, which we can agree are far from the qualities of a nerd. I'm also hoping some of the romantic success of the artists may rub off on me (if their claims to being "knee deep in bitches" are to be believed). I haven't had much luck in that department, and I respect women too much to use "PUA" techniques. I prefer to treat them like people.

Sick edgy post there bro

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

THNDRTHF posted:

i cant listen to joey badass without feeling embarrassed for him/myself. he tries to be a 90s rapper so hard it hurts

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://stereogum.com/1245191/stream-the-purist-tr-ill-ep-stereogum-premiere/album-stream/
Hell yeah. Danny brown, Cas ,Havoc and Big Twins on some cool electronic beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

Not that I was planning on seeing them anytime soon, but I'm still glad to hear that. I like their albums well enough but the Youtube videos of their performances have been atrocious, and I wasn't sure how much of that was them and how much of it was cameraphone mic quality - a lot of the drumming just didn't seem to "fit" with the music. Either I'm not watching the right videos, or they managed to get it together recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxFRO9pRlwE

the footage of what I saw was pretty good man, of course its a lot more intense being there and the drums fit more in the context of his desperation to hit them hard as gently caress rather than fit perfectly. Plus this video captures when mc ride threw a snare at the lcd screens so that was pretty awesome.

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 30, 2013

• Locked thread