Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

TjyvTompa posted:

i am thinking about all the uploadad stats mmmm stats

all those different stat companies, uploading their stats. there's never been anything like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

:staredog:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

holy poo poo

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

quote:

Before Wikipedia there was encyclopedia.
Encyclopedia is a company that takes what they can gather to make the best history resource. How
does Encyclopedia fair in today’s market against Wikipedia?

fucks sake ian

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

weve been trolled, there is no way

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BiohazrD posted:

weve been trolled, there is no way

im jealous that you've never had to fend off a pitch like this irl

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

i assume HW1 stands for Homework Assignment #1

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

im ordering a certified check for ian right now and i can't stop myself send help

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

quote:

Current progress of Statpedia has built this in as a functional API linking to the Wolfram search, much like how the iPhone has done with Siri.
this thing is solid gold

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
It truly is about 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. Perhaps I am the best person to do it because I am the most passionate about it. Perhaps I am the best person because I know how web products are supposed to be built. Perhaps I am the best because I came from a financial background and have spent countless hours reading charts.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

ian do you have any mental illnesses that you are not telling us about

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

This brings wealth to the team in both a good cause, as well as financially

Ah yes, investors love their returns to be in karma

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Ian as someone who works at Encyclopedia I can tell you we are doing fine

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

West SAAB Story posted:

dont worry ian i got you covered

oh yeah

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Ian McLean posted:

So about that Python program I wrote.

What happens if that just spreads to the world like wildfire?

Google comes to the Federal Reserve Board with a 100 billion dollar bill for one month.

Federal Reserve Board is like.... how is that possible?

Google says, oh there is this computer program going around the internet spamming your address for cost per click.

What is Federal Reserve Board going to say... oh well I guess we are still going to advertise the Federal Reserve Board on Google after paying this ridiculous bill?

Do I care if Federal Reserve Board pays Google 100 billion in advertising costs? Yes. I believe it would be a good thing. Google is responsible.

How does the printing press really work these days?

You have no idea how google works do you

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

quote:

I aim to take on role models such as Steve Jobs, and Larry Page to push me towards this future we live in.

well, steve wouldn't let statpedia get out of r&d, and larry page would probably ok releasing a half-finished version and then quietly abandoning it when nobody uses it

i don't think either of these are good role models for you ian

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

quote:

The competition is any company displaying statistics somewhere on the internet in some way.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
please write a plugin to query the farmers almanac i need to know the proper time to sow my seed :pervert:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

quote:

This brings wealth to the team in both a good cause, as well as financially. Down the road, Statpedia can take similar advertising approaches as Google has done. It would require a keyword input box for advertisers, then when those keywords are searched, Statpedia can display approved ads in a nice way. As Statpedia evolves as an organization, further growth and innovation can provide additional
meaningful wealth to the team.
i set google translate to "MBA => English" and it said "we'll sell ads like it's 1998 and maybe in the future we'll have an idea that actually works"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ian McLean posted:

If I do nothing but live that long, and still have statpedia running, I will be super successful.

1 - buy statpedia dot com name
2 - python ??
3 - ????
4 - profit :smug:

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Ian what if your friend came and asked you for 100 bucks and was like yeah, i'll pay it back eventually but i dont have a job right now but dont worry ill figure out a way to make that eventually and pay you back

would you give your friend the money?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm sure he would

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ian McLean posted:

So about that Python program I wrote.

What happens if that just spreads to the world like wildfire?

Google comes to the Federal Reserve Board with a 100 billion dollar bill for one month.

Federal Reserve Board is like.... how is that possible?

Google says, oh there is this computer program going around the internet spamming your address for cost per click.

What is Federal Reserve Board going to say... oh well I guess we are still going to advertise the Federal Reserve Board on Google after paying this ridiculous bill?

Do I care if Federal Reserve Board pays Google 100 billion in advertising costs? Yes. I believe it would be a good thing. Google is responsible.

How does the printing press really work these days?

ian what is your opinion on the gold standard? could i use statpedia to track the proportion of purestrain gold to boring normal gold in the world?

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Ian can I invest I am in the uk, so I can add continental flair to the board room. Unlike the French for they are le tired.

Regards,

Wayne King

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sweevo posted:

ian, who do you think is going to use statpedia? because academics aren't going to touch it with a bargepole. so you're basically aiming at lazy journalists, and people who need one more useless "fact" to pad out their latest tedious fwd: fwd: fwd: email

ian answer my loving question!

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

You have no idea how google works do you

A professor mentioned something about it yesterday. They are able to make custom cases for situations I do believe.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Sweevo posted:

ian, who do you think is going to use statpedia? because academics aren't going to touch it with a bargepole. so you're basically aiming at lazy journalists, and people who need one more useless "fact" to pad out their latest tedious fwd: fwd: fwd: email

The reality is... statpedia can live forever with this collection of stats. When all those academics die, then who is to say what?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Ian McLean posted:

The reality is... statpedia can live forever with this collection of stats. When all those academics die, then who is to say what?

Do you actually store the data you're scraping, or just blindly do a MitM passthru to Wolfram?

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Ian McLean posted:

Muad'Dib could indeed see the Future, but you must understand the limits of this power. Think of sight. You have eyes, yet cannot see without light. If you are on the floor of a valley, you cannot see beyond your valley. Just so, Muad'Dib could not always choose to look across the mysterious terrain. He tells us that a single obscure decision of prophecy, perhaps the choice of one word over another, could change the entire aspect of the future. He tells us "The vision of time is broad, but when you pass through it, time becomes a narrow door." And always, he fought the temptation to choose a clear, safe course, warning "That path leads ever down into stagnation."

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

West SAAB Story posted:

Do you actually store the data you're scraping, or just blindly do a MitM passthru to Wolfram?

We store it of course.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Ian McLean posted:

We store it of course.

welp

Wolfram ToS posted:

You are not allowed to use Wolfram|Alpha to create something that is likely or intended to be reused as a data source for further processing, or that in some other way serves as a replacement or alternative to using Wolfram|Alpha itself. This applies whether what you create is in electronic or print form.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Hashtag Nascar posted:

Ian can I invest I am in the uk, so I can add continental flair to the board room. Unlike the French for they are le tired.

Regards,

Wayne King

Hi Wayne.

You are welcome to contact me on email to email to discuss: ian@statpedia.com :)

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Ian, you have not even gained enough experience to understand that statpedia is utter dumpster garbage in every possible way. Only when you feel it in your heart that you have produced a steaming turd of a project, can you move forward on a quest to build a Less lovely Thing.

oh and by the way that next thing will be lovely too

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

I work for a startup whose main product is a pretty stupid idea, but they have something that you don't. their plan to generate revenue is not:
1. gather unverified crowdsourced stats on a server
2. uhhh ads i guess?
3. maximum profits, fifty million dollar house

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

hmm. Then Siri violates this. Why does wolfram not sue apple? Because it is free advertising on Siri for them.

That Policy Agreement is stupid and doesn't apply to me. I will prove my case in court.

We do not do any further processing of the data. We just display it like Siri, and store it because our severs are slow.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Ian McLean posted:

hmm. Then Siri violates this. Why does wolfram not sue apple? Because it is free advertising on Siri for them.

no, ian

siri is a passthrough. siri does not store the data. when you ask siri a question it queries WA and then passes the data back to you. it does not store the data and use it later or anything else that would violate that (incredibly simple) EULA

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

raruler posted:

Muad'Dib could indeed see the Future, but you must understand the limits of this power. Think of sight. You have eyes, yet cannot see without light. If you are on the floor of a valley, you cannot see beyond your valley. Just so, Muad'Dib could not always choose to look across the mysterious terrain. He tells us that a single obscure decision of prophecy, perhaps the choice of one word over another, could change the entire aspect of the future. He tells us "The vision of time is broad, but when you pass through it, time becomes a narrow door." And always, he fought the temptation to choose a clear, safe course, warning "That path leads ever down into stagnation."

Ian is the kwisatz haderach

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Ian McLean posted:

hmm. Then Siri violates this.

I don't really give a poo poo, I'm just telling you that it explicitly states that you're not allowed to do that without a prior agreement. Also, Apple has one. Siri doesn't store this anywhere, AFAIK. Perhaps you can add that into your blob data.

How are you indexing this internally? Please tell me you aren't just storing query strings with blobs of pre-parsed data.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hey Ian your overarching goal of owning a 50 million dollar house or die is indicative that you are a bratty whitebread burgoise-wannabe fucker so maybe you should pick the latter option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ian McLean posted:

no, it's because apple gave them a shitload of money because apple has a shitload of money because apple sells products for money

• Locked thread