Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The bowl of my wsm is getting a little rusty. Will it impart any off flavor to the pork buttnim doing this weekend? If so, what should I do about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
Rust is pretty much inert. I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, just knock off any lose bits or maybe use a wire brush on it.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Woke up at 6:30 to throw my baby backs on my WSM. Decided to use the standard method rather than Minion because it was so cold, which was dumb because it sat at 275 for like 30 minutes then plummeted to like 215. I think I'm going to A. throw 7-8 unlit briquettes in and B. use the Minion method exclusively from now on, regardless of weather.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Same boat here (6AM), but went with some St. Louis ribs today, came out too phenomenal to descrbibe. Just an all purpose rub I had laying around, and went with the 5 parts KC Masterpiece 1 part honey mentioned in the VWB best ribs in the universe recipe, just nailed it.

As to cold, it was about 12 degrees this morning and still went with the Minion method. Had the vents at 100% for about 3 hours and it was barely staying above 225 at the grate (like 200 on the lid thermometer), but was enough to do the trick. No way I could have gone higher with that method though, never cracked 230 until after I rotated the ribs 3 hours in.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Bob Mundon posted:

Same boat here (6AM), but went with some St. Louis ribs today, came out too phenomenal to descrbibe. Just an all purpose rub I had laying around, and went with the 5 parts KC Masterpiece 1 part honey mentioned in the VWB best ribs in the universe recipe, just nailed it.

As to cold, it was about 12 degrees this morning and still went with the Minion method. Had the vents at 100% for about 3 hours and it was barely staying above 225 at the grate (like 200 on the lid thermometer), but was enough to do the trick. No way I could have gone higher with that method though, never cracked 230 until after I rotated the ribs 3 hours in.

Did you have water in the pan? In my high heat brisket experiments, I've found leaving the water out of the pan will give you an extra 100 degrees or so to work with. If it is really cold out and you are trying to cook at higher temps, it might be worth starting out with no water and shooting some in later with the hose if things get too hot.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

cornface posted:

Did you have water in the pan? In my high heat brisket experiments, I've found leaving the water out of the pan will give you an extra 100 degrees or so to work with. If it is really cold out and you are trying to cook at higher temps, it might be worth starting out with no water and shooting some in later with the hose if things get too hot.

It will, but I was going for a low heat, so while on the low range of what I was looking, worked fine. Mainly just saying even at 12 degrees Minion works fine, at the very least for a low heat cook (might have only been around 300 without water and a lot of coals going).

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 21, 2013

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Best smoked food for the superbowl.......................and go.

Thinking some baby backs, even if I just did ribs.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ribs, chicken legs, pulled pork for sandwiches

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Does anyone have a working link to the plans for the temperature probe/controller made from a router? I was looking around and the original seems to be down. I just got a new modem from the cable company today which has built in wireless, so I now have a WRT54G with no use.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

dms666 posted:

Does anyone have a working link to the plans for the temperature probe/controller made from a router? I was looking around and the original seems to be down. I just got a new modem from the cable company today which has built in wireless, so I now have a WRT54G with no use.

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter

It should be known however, that while building a WRT based Heatermeter will indeed work, development on the software side of things has ended on the 3.x series. The new heatermeter 4.0 based off the Raspberry Pi is way faster and more capable, so that's where CapnBry is focusing his efforts.

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Ribs, chicken legs, pulled pork for sandwiches

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Hi Guys

I recently got interested in replicating some of the stuff that you do in American style BBQ. It's been a little difficuly because you use different cuts and smokers aren't really available over here. I've been using a charcoal fired Kamado oven and had pretty good success so far, I think.

These are my first tries at each.

Ribs - ours aren't as meaty as yours as we butcher pigs when they're younger, I think. Used the Amazing ribs memphis dust, cooked @ about 120-130c for 3.5 hours.

Pulled Pork - Smoked in the Kamado for 3 hours@ 130/140c, followed by 8 hours in the oven @ 110c

Just got some proper digital thermometers so I'm keen to see how it improves. Doing pulled lamb shoulders on Saturday followed by another pulled pork on sunday.

Beaucoup Haram fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 30, 2013

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cuahtemoc posted:

Hi Guys

I recently got interested in replicating some of the stuff that you do in American style BBQ. It's been a little difficuly because you use different cuts and smokers aren't really available over here. I've been using a charcoal fired Kamado oven and had pretty good success so far, I think.

These are my first tries at each.

Ribs - ours aren't as meaty as yours as we butcher pigs when they're younger, I think. Used the Amazing ribs memphis dust, cooked @ about 120-130c for 3.5 hours.

Pulled Pork - Smoked in the Kamado for 3 hours@ 130/140c, followed by 8 hours in the oven @ 110c

Just got some proper digital thermometers so I'm keen to see how it improves. Doing pulled lamb shoulders on Saturday followed by another pulled pork on sunday.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Stringent posted:

Out of curiosity, where are you located?

Australia.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Cool, where'd you get a kamado?

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Stringent posted:

Cool, where'd you get a kamado?

I bought one for $650 off eBay but that distributor has since stopped importing them. There are a few other options though,

Costco have the Vision Kamado for $700 ish
Bear Grills (http://www.bear-grills.com.au/) have one similar to mine but apparently better quality for $750 + delivery
Primo Grills (http://www.primogrills.com.au/) have a fancier oval one for about $1750 - lets you do 2 zone cooking
Komodo Kamado's (http://www.komodokamado.com/) are the fanciest around and cost about $4k, they've just setup a regular australian distribution center.

TBH, there isn't a lot that I'd want to do with a Kamado that I can't do with my cheapy. I've got to be a bit more careful when I move it around but as far as using it I don't think I could justify a much more expensive one.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Cuahtemoc posted:

Bear Grills (http://www.bear-grills.com.au/) have one similar to mine but apparently better quality for $750 + delivery

There is a great joke about drinking piss in here somewhere, but my coffee has not kicked in.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?

Cuahtemoc posted:

What's up Australian kamado buddy! :hfive:

We've been getting our pork ribs from Costco; the slabs are HA-YOOOOGE and pretty meaty. It can be a bit of a crapshoot as to how fatty the ribs are (hard to tell by sight because of the way the ribs are packed)... even with plenty of trimming, there can be enough left to make eating them somewhat unpleasant, depending on your level of tolerance for delicious pig fat. :) I'd definitely recommend looking there though, if you're having trouble finding meaty ribs. We've also had success getting really nice, juicy tri-tips from there in the past (super good roasted in the kamado) - although you may have to "special order" them now, as they used to sell them as big steaks but have recently started slicing them up thinly.

Which city are you in?

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

SonicDefiance posted:

What's up Australian kamado buddy! :hfive:

We've been getting our pork ribs from Costco; the slabs are HA-YOOOOGE and pretty meaty. It can be a bit of a crapshoot as to how fatty the ribs are (hard to tell by sight because of the way the ribs are packed)... even with plenty of trimming, there can be enough left to make eating them somewhat unpleasant, depending on your level of tolerance for delicious pig fat. :) I'd definitely recommend looking there though, if you're having trouble finding meaty ribs. We've also had success getting really nice, juicy tri-tips from there in the past (super good roasted in the kamado) - although you may have to "special order" them now, as they used to sell them as big steaks but have recently started slicing them up thinly.

Which city are you in?

Adelaide, so no costco for me. Haven't asked my local awesome butcher about what he can do yet - I'll check when I pickup another pork shoulder, 2 lamb forequarters and 6kg of chicken wings I'm cooking this weekend :)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I had posted a bunch of this stuff yesterday in The Football Funhouse's super bowl cooking thread, but then I remembered this thread so I though I'd share here as well.

I decided to smoke a couple of briskets.

One for me, one for the party this afternoon.

I've posted pictures of my rig earlier in this thread so I'll not bore you with that.

The fuel. While most cooks in Texas (including the professionals) prefer oak, I really like pecan. I like the way it burns and the smoke flavor it produces for briskets and ribs as well. Pork shoulders and whatnot like sweeter fruit woods, but I don't usually make those myself.

Got the fire started. Just a bit of lump charcoal to kick things off, topped with a length of seasoned pecan. Now it's time to season the first brisket!

Super secret rub: salt and pepper. :rolleyes: I like the Montreal Steak Seasoning as well because it is salt and pepper with a bit of garlic, but it'd not required. In addition to the canned pepper, I also use a bit of fresh cracked pepper for a slightly sharper flavor.

Cover liberally on both sides, but not to the point where it's caked on. When you bite into a slice, you should taste meat, not a bark of salt and pepper.

Now that the fire has burned down, we can slap this ho on the pit and get to cooking.

Now comes the waiting, the watching, and my favorite part, the breakfast beers. :coal:

Fast forwarding several hours, here's a shot of the second brisket just prior to it's foil wrap.

Fast forwarding several hours more...

The small brisket, unwrapping and preparing for tightening on the smoker. You can see all the juices that stay close to or inside the brisket when it's wrapped. This keeps them from evaporating, thus stopping the well-fabled stall.

Same deal for the larger brisket.

Tightening.

After tightening.

The money shot.

Both briskets turned out really good, as evidenced by the fact that there was none left of the one I took to the party. :coal:

Norville Rogers
Oct 17, 2004
Like, zoinks!
Smoking some Cornish Game Hens and onions with cherry and applewood, with an underskin rub of oregano, onion, garlic and smoked paprika. Hope it goes well!

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

I know this is far fetched. I used to do a fair amount of smoking in my weber kettle grill. I've since moved to an apartment building with no balcony. I am trying to imagineer a way to efficiently vent an electric smoker from within my apartment so as to: 1. not get evicted 2. have delicious smoked things.

The only thing I can find is either oven/stovetop smokers or that pressure-smoker (redundant as I already have a cooker). Hoping someone here has a brilliant idea- I was thinking I could build something with ducting and use and amaze-n-smoker, probably sufficient for fish and cheese but nothing heavy duty.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I'm sure you'd be able to vent the exhaust somehow. The problem is when you open the door. This is compounded when you're cold-smoking, because from my experience cold smoke is heavy and thick vs. hot smoke.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Don't do it.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

My first attempt at brisket, smoked over red gum @ 275. Only took 6-8 hours to reach 203f internal.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
So I've read through the whole thread and am now absolutely starving. I've been playing around with grilling on a tiny weber smokey joe, but I'd really like to get into smoking. Mostly interested in chicken and fish, so I'm not terribly concerned with smoke rings etc. I'm mostly concerned about ease of setup/cooking so I've been looking at the little electric Brinkmann Smoke'N Grill since they're fairly cheap on Amazon, and seem really easy: http://www.brinkmann.net/products/outdoor_cooking/electric_smokers_and_grills/details.aspx?item=810-5290-C .

Would something like that work out well for the weekend smoking of chicken and the occasional fish? What other supplies would I need to get started, just charcoal, wood chips, a meat thermometer, and an internal thermometer? Does anyone have any experience with smoking a big batch of chicken and freezing/storing it for a few weeks? Would really like the ability to smoke a bunch of breasts or legs and thighs and store them safely for a few weeks. Whats the best way to bring them back up to temp if they're smoked and then frozen?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
It should work fine. Smoking really isn't hard.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Iron Lung posted:

So I've read through the whole thread and am now absolutely starving. I've been playing around with grilling on a tiny weber smokey joe, but I'd really like to get into smoking.

I know you said you were looking for an easier option, but if you have the tools and patience you can build a smoker from your Smokey Joe.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Well I got the brinkmann up and running, looks like you get what you pay for. I think it will do the job, but the lid seems like its a little loose fitting, there is about a half inch gap on one side. I'm in the process of curing the smoker right now, but I tossed in an oven thermometer to measure the heat. Its running at 425F consistently, which seems pretty high to me. Is this an ok temp for smoking chicken or fish? I came with a meat/time chart and for a 4lb fryer it says it should take 4 hours, does that sound right?

I'll have to either learn to live with the cheapness or sell it and upgrade to a WSM!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Definitely too high for a smoke. That's closer to grilling or roasting temp.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

BraveUlysses posted:

Definitely too high for a smoke. That's closer to grilling or roasting temp.

drat, guess I wil have to see how it goes. Having the water pan should only lower it a few degrees right? Guess I can always just return to amazon if I need to. I'll throw the chicken on in awhile and see what happens!

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Iron Lung posted:

drat, guess I wil have to see how it goes. Having the water pan should only lower it a few degrees right? Guess I can always just return to amazon if I need to. I'll throw the chicken on in awhile and see what happens!

The water pan should make a pretty big difference, as will getting a good layer of gunk built up in it. Try to catch the temperatures on the way up rather than letting it get too hot and trying to cool it down after the fact.

If the lid is bent or out of shape, though, you might try getting a replacement because that is going to make things way more difficult than they need to be.

Chicken should be alright if you can manage to get it down into the 350 range. You can do high heat briskets there too.

Ribs and pulled pork will be fine at 275 as long as you go easy on the sugar.

It's a learning experience, and at worst you end up with "ok" BBQ which is still delicious.

Edit: oh you have an electric smoker. My advice is probably wrong. Thought it was charcoal.

cornface fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 23, 2013

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Using the water pan will keep you right around that 250 degree sweet spot. Don't worry about bent lids too much. If you're able to maintain 425, then you aren't really in desperate need of retaining heat. Let the thin blue smoke roll.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Did some ribs today and stuck a pan of beans with molasses and mustard underneath the ribs in the smoker.

Lamenting that I ate all the pulled pork leftovers last week because they would have gone good in the beans. Next time.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Thanks all, appreciate the advice. Ended up right around 250 the whole time, and was on the top rack for 3 hours before it hit 165. Let it rest for awhile and just broke it down, my first attempt at a whole bird so it's a bit messy. I've also never cooked a juicier bird so I'm paranoid it's not cooked but multiple thermometers in multiple places read at 165 or over.

Here's what it ended up looking like:
http://imgur.com/0pokhdb
http://imgur.com/3nvgXKt

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Iron Lung posted:

Thanks all, appreciate the advice. Ended up right around 250 the whole time, and was on the top rack for 3 hours before it hit 165. Let it rest for awhile and just broke it down, my first attempt at a whole bird so it's a bit messy. I've also never cooked a juicier bird so I'm paranoid it's not cooked but multiple thermometers in multiple places read at 165 or over.

Looks great. I'd eat it!

Glad you got your temperature issues sorted out.

Norville Rogers
Oct 17, 2004
Like, zoinks!

Iron Lung posted:

. I've also never cooked a juicier bird so I'm paranoid it's not cooked but multiple thermometers in multiple places read at 165 or over.

Hey your bird looks like the one I just pulled out, except someone shoved an orange up the rear end of mine:

Norville Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 4, 2013

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
I pulled out the old Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" out of storage, set that bitch up, and fired up some St. Louis ribs. Waterpan was almost full, used about half a ring of unlit and half a chimney of lit charcoal (stuff my wife buys at Trader Joes and ended up with this:

Odd thing was that anytime the fan turned off on the stoker, the inside temp shot up immediately and took another 20 degrees to recover. Stoker didnt start firing the fan until it got to -15 or so of the target temp of 225 degrees. Despite this, the ribs turned out pretty decent when they came off the smoker. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the guests weren't showing for another two hours so they kinda died while being maintained in a low oven. No pics this time, I was kinda pissed after all the temperature oscillation and 2 hour warming interval.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
You probably already know this, but instead of putting them in the oven next time, let them rest for a few minutes so they stop cooking, wrap them in foil, and shove them in a cooler stuffed with towels. They'll stay hot for several hours without drying out. If it is going to be a while, you can preheat the cooler with hot water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

cornface posted:

You probably already know this, but instead of putting them in the oven next time, let them rest for a few minutes so they stop cooking, wrap them in foil, and shove them in a cooler stuffed with towels. They'll stay hot for several hours without drying out. If it is going to be a while, you can preheat the cooler with hot water.

Actually I didn't know that, but I do now. Thanks for the info :)