Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nahxela posted:

Do it, do it, do it.
Wakestones are like candy there.

Oh. Well. I should have done it, then. Oh well, I'll try it again. Maybe this time my main pawn won't get eaten before the first head is lopped off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The hydra and archydra are some of the most fun fights in the game and you should definitely do both. I wish there'd been more like them.

(You can fight the hydra in the post game by getting the "A Challenge" quest from the notice board at the inn. It's an easier fight than the archydra, though.)

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 28, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

There we go, took care of the fucker that time and cleared the post-game quests. That was fantastic. I can't wait for Dark Arisen.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

likecnsnnts posted:

then I grabbed the Gardener who was going to testify against him and threw him off the cliff outside of Cassardis!

Me too, but while I was doing it I was very very sorry for him...

... actually not.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tooooooo bad posted:

Worth noting that you could probably count the number of people still playing the 360 version on one hand.
I don't know how true this is, I see plenty of pawns all over, and the last time I played over a couple day period I had 5 different payments for my pawn overnight.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

coyo7e posted:

I don't know how true this is, I see plenty of pawns all over, and the last time I played over a couple day period I had 5 different payments for my pawn overnight.

Yeah there's definitely still plenty of people playing on 360. Like me. Hire my pawn I'm on the list in the op he owns.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

coyo7e posted:

To be fair, seeing pawns isn't really an indication of whether or not people are still playing. Pawns will always be all over the place.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
A lot of pawns are just randomly generated by the game, right?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

A lot of pawns are just randomly generated by the game, right?

I'm pretty sure all the pawns are actually made by people except for Rook. There's also an icon when you talk to them that tells you if the player is online.

edit: I guess a few of the pawns in the Everfall aren't either.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ I think that in offline mode there are randomly generated pawns?

Nahxela posted:

To be fair, seeing pawns isn't really an indication of whether or not people are still playing. Pawns will always be all over the place.
However, having 5 different people in one night rent my short, fat, mustachio'd rogue is a pretty good indicator that someone's playing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
There's supposed to be a set of pawns for people who don't have internet access. Since most people have internet access, most people have human-made pawns, but I'm pretty sure you can still hire Capcom pawns.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, there are tons of pawns for people without online access. I don't know how the population of wandering pawns works, but if you just take a look at the Rift and search through the various pawns, it's not too hard to find pawns without actual players/owners, which are the game generated ones.

coyo7e posted:

However, having 5 different people in one night rent my short, fat, mustachio'd rogue is a pretty good indicator that someone's playing.
Oh yeah, I certainly don't deny that.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

^^^ I think that in offline mode there are randomly generated pawns?

Those are actual people, right? Because on the PS3 I got poo poo loads of "pawn rentals" that didn't have ratings, list names, or anything and were therefore just the AI trying to make me feel better about having a weirdo gimp as my pawn.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Naw they had names. I was blown away that I got 5 overnight because I hadn't played in ages, and the day before was te first I'd played in eons.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If you get items without a rating, it means the game is taking pity on you and tossing you a free pittance.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

poo poo, in that case nobody ever used Rain. Ever.

:smith:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

kirbysuperstar posted:

poo poo, in that case nobody ever used Rain. Ever.

:smith:

Everybody's just really burned out on kpop right now, no worries.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
I really think this is my favorite game. Not sure why, but something about it captivates me. Anyone else feel the same way? I remember first hearing about it and falling in love. Followed it since spring of last year, and now I'm ready and willing to buy the new version and any sequels. I hope the next iteration allows pawns to use abilities that use both magic and strength. Switching horses midstream really bugs me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm kind of curious if it's worth a complete restart of the game on Dark Arisen or to just load off from a character I haven't played in like 6 months.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

OK Octopus posted:

I really think this is my favorite game. Not sure why, but something about it captivates me. Anyone else feel the same way? I remember first hearing about it and falling in love. Followed it since spring of last year, and now I'm ready and willing to buy the new version and any sequels. I hope the next iteration allows pawns to use abilities that use both magic and strength. Switching horses midstream really bugs me.

I don't know about "favorite" but I sure played the poo poo out of it, many flaws and all. It's still the only game that I've gotten all the achievements for.

I think I've probably played Dark Souls more overall (and know quite well just how much of a more finely tuned and generally better game DS is), but even with all it's wonkiness I love Dragon's Dogma a lot, and if I had to pick one of the two to be a favorite I think I'd go with DD.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think this game is pretty good and deserves more credit for finally doing the D&D monster manual justice in an action game. I think going into it I was expecting something similar to Dark Souls or Demon's Souls, though, considering how often the games are compared, when it isn't really similar to them at all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've recently rented the game and started in on it myself (at around level 15 or so, just got to Grand Soren and started on the Wyrm Hunt quests), and I'm wondering: does this game require much grinding or worrying about loot drops to upgrade your equipment and so on as you get to the later parts? I'm a pretty casual gamer, I chose this one because I wanted to pick it up and wander around a big world in a suit of armor, smacking around goblins and ogres and the like on slow days after work, but some of the comparisons to Dark Souls have me worried (because that game is the polar opposite of the kind of thing I look for in a video game).

If I keep it on easy mode, can I get by on just choosing whichever vocation seems fun to me at the time, and worrying about my equipment no further than by buying the latest thing available in shops? I don't care about killing the Ur-Dragon or min-maxing stats, I just kind of want to dick around in a fantasy world and stick to the main quest, as well as any of the side content that seems entertaining as far as escapist value goes (ie, not the "slay 25 bunny rabbits" or "find 50 war horns" quests).

A lot of the stuff I've read online seems to indicate that most builds are viable, that it's hard to screw yourself too badly, so I think I'm probably fine...I just want to make sure that there's not some vital piece of the game that I'm missing out on, like I'll be screwed out of some vital weapon because I accidentally sold a jar of dragon dandruff in a shop to buy a sword, when I should have saved it to craft a ring of +10 feelings protection or something.

The only thing that's given me trouble in the game so far is that bandit with a shield guarding the witchwood, but I'm told that everyone stumbles there if they try it too soon. Everything else has been fun so far.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The game gets really easy after level 10 or so either way so you should be able to cruise and not think about anything. I did no research and just did whatever I felt like it, only bothering to upgrade my equipment or buy new stuff every once in a while, and I did totally fine on normal. To be fair, though, Dark Souls doesn't have any grinding or worrying about loot drops if you don't specifically feel like doing it, either.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
You'll probably be screwed out of something at some point because DD is that kind of game, but you'll never be allowed to miss specific plot things to progress the game.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think this game is pretty good and deserves more credit for finally doing the D&D monster manual justice in an action game. I think going into it I was expecting something similar to Dark Souls or Demon's Souls, though, considering how often the games are compared, when it isn't really similar to them at all.

A better comparison would be to Dragon Age older RPGs. Dragon's Dogma feels like a weird Japanese Skyrim-Dragon Age hybrid without dialogue trees to me.

It's really nothing like Dark Souls, and I don't understand why anyone would compare the two, except perhaps in their themes and how they tell the story.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I might pick the game up again as I will probably get Dark Arisen but kind of forgot how to play since I haven't touched it since the summer. I loaded it up to 260,000 rift crystals waiting for me and realized I didn't remember a whole lot. I hope saves that are in NG+ can be imported since I don't think I'll finish the entire game again, I remember doing some Ur Dragon fights to cheese the grace periods for loot and not getting much farther than the start of the wyrm hunt quests before I moved on to other stuff.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Meowjesty posted:

You'll probably be screwed out of something at some point because DD is that kind of game, but you'll never be allowed to miss specific plot things to progress the game.

A better comparison would be to Dragon Age older RPGs. Dragon's Dogma feels like a weird Japanese Skyrim-Dragon Age hybrid without dialogue trees to me.

It's really nothing like Dark Souls, and I don't understand why anyone would compare the two, except perhaps in their themes and how they tell the story.

At some point in this thread, a long long time ago, DD was described as "A D&D campaign turned into an action RPG", and that sounds about right to me.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Shima Honnou posted:

At some point in this thread, a long long time ago, DD was described as "A D&D campaign turned into an action RPG", and that sounds about right to me.

This is the way I'd put it. I just started playing recently and the whole Pawn system, the limited travel options, the way quests tell you to go a long rear end way away and how adventure just kinda happens to you on the way there all make a given excursion from Gran Soren feel like a bite-sized D&D session to me. I love this feeling, too. I can't believe I waited so long to play this.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

OK Octopus posted:

DD is my personal GOTY for 2012. There is a lot wrong with it (glitches, uneven pacing, super easy to miss pivotal sidequests forever), but between the combat, the pawn system, and just a bucket of weird thrown in there's just so much goddamned charm in this series it outweighs it all.

Rascyc posted:

I'm kind of curious if it's worth a complete restart of the game on Dark Arisen or to just load off from a character I haven't played in like 6 months.

Provided you still get the rift crystals and ferrystones on a new character I will be making a new one myself. Just seems right for starting off again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ReWinter posted:

This is the way I'd put it. I just started playing recently and the whole Pawn system, the limited travel options, the way quests tell you to go a long rear end way away and how adventure just kinda happens to you on the way there all make a given excursion from Gran Soren feel like a bite-sized D&D session to me. I love this feeling, too. I can't believe I waited so long to play this.

I'm kind of enjoying the way you have to manually walk to your destination from Gran Soren every time you take a quest, instead of just fast traveling to your nearest waypoint, for the reasons you mention, but I have to say that I don't particularly care for having to walk back—it feels like padding, just a lot of time you have to spend doing something after the interesting part of your quest is over. To me, the right balance would have been to have a permanent ferrystone item in your inventory that just lets you teleport back to Grand Soren when you want (or even just an option to do it at the end of the quest), which is why Dark Arisen sounds nice.

Still, it's not all that bad I guess, I'm enjoying it all the same for now. And I'm making enough money now that just buying a few ferrystones to have on hand for those particularly far away quests is beginning to sound a little bit worth it.

I started out as a Strider, and then switched over to Assassin when I got to Grand Soren. I found myself gradually favoring the sword instead of the daggers, and then a shield over the bow, and then I got tired of looking at that weird skimpy armor that just didn't quite seem to look right, so I switched to a fighter. I'm so boring with these kinds of games, I'm always that class, even when I try not to be. It seems like the skills they gave it in this game make it interesting, though. And I'm grateful that I was able to just switch over mid-game without too much consequence instead of having to start over from the beginning once I realized that it's what I wanted to do after all.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 29, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Picked this game up because of this thread, gotta say I am not disappointed. The lack of a easy fast travel system definitely makes this feel more like an adventure game of sorts. Games addicting as hell. Also has potential for silly funny stuff. Was descending down a big spiral staircase when an ogre shows up, then proceeds to drop kick one of my companions off into the pit in the middle, going down with him. It was a heroic sacrifice.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Has anyone ever fought the Everfall ogre without it flying off the edge to its death? I feel like its scripted to do that every time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I didn't fall down, neither did any of my pawns. I kinda wish it did, though, because that sounds loving hilarious.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I remember one battle on a ledge with a few things and a Manticore. My huge beefy Berserk Elf looking pawn likes to grapple stuff when he's not smashing it. I was fighting off some adds across a bridge, and I look over. He was first hitting the thing, and then he begins to grapple it. I kill another add, and he continued grappling it...and he grappled the drat thing right off the ledge onto the floor below. It was hilarious. He then continued to pound on it afterward. He did *not* like that Manticore at all.

There were times that the pawns seemed to have their own personalities. I had been pawn trading with some other friends. One fella's pawn liked to lecture on safety alot. Another one had a mage pawn who had collector, and she would constantly collect things. All the time. Anywhere. Middle of a fight? 'Ohh, twigs.' We started to say she 'building her nest' and he eventually just bought her the bird wing cloak.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When it comes to picking other people's pawns, I tend to look for a couple of things:

1.) Not a kid
2.) Creative appearance (armor selection mainly)
3.) Behavior

So if I need a healer I look for Medicant and so on. I appreciate people putting their pawns in sub-optimal gear if it means it makes a sort of outfit. If they just throw on Abyssal gear and call it a day then I'm just not interested. Of course, I had my pawn in a pretty standard Ranger outfit but it never got picked, so I added a little sex appeal in there (bare midriff) and she got chosen by a few people.

I beat the game again the other night after finishing up a save I had left off of a while ago. I was reminded how (end-game spoilers) much the 4th wall is broken in those questions you ask the seneshal. He basically just describes what happens to the universe whenever you pick up the game and play and multiplayer and all that stuff. I thought it to be pretty nice wink and nod.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bakalakadaka posted:

Has anyone ever fought the Everfall ogre without it flying off the edge to its death? I feel like its scripted to do that every time.

That only happened once for me. It was pretty nice though because that thing is just ridiculous at level 20.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jimbot posted:

When it comes to picking other people's pawns, I tend to look for a couple of things:

1.) Not a kid
2.) Creative appearance (armor selection mainly)
3.) Behavior

So if I need a healer I look for Medicant and so on. I appreciate people putting their pawns in sub-optimal gear if it means it makes a sort of outfit. If they just throw on Abyssal gear and call it a day then I'm just not interested. Of course, I had my pawn in a pretty standard Ranger outfit but it never got picked, so I added a little sex appeal in there (bare midriff) and she got chosen by a few people.

So far my favorite pawn that I've recruited was "Drippycrack", the transexual dwarf fighter. I even got a "dress a man in women's clothing" achievement for recruiting him.

He had a pleasantly disturbing deep voice. He was actually a pretty poo poo fighter, but I was sad to see him go all the same.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The effectiveness of a pawn is not nearly as good as how memorable the pawn is.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Jimbot posted:

1.) Not a kid

I made my pawn Schierke from Berserk (gotta be Guts), and she gets picked out the wazoo. She kinda looks like a kid? I mean really they just look like short adults. I have yet to care what my extra pawns look like, dumb looking parties ahoy hoy.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Bakalakadaka posted:

I've never had it do that :(

It does like to take my pawns and throw them to their death as I run past though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I've seen some pleasant surprises in which two pawns so far have been leveled up. When I saw an early pawn I had hired come back at level 30 I was pretty happy at that. Then I decided to look at my pawn history and it turns out I had hired two pawns twice now with them coming in leveled up form.

Only one person has actually hired my pawn, and she gave me 3's in all categories and no comment. :argh:

I'm about to be hitting my forties and I just maxed out assassin and fighter vocation for me and my pawn. I'm wondering about the magic archer and the ranger but I heard the MA can suck balls due to his low overall damage and the ranger is apparently plain awesome. I've also JUST now finally found some weapons to replace those loving stilettos I've been wielding for all of the game. Ugh.

• Locked thread