Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shalinor posted:

If we speak the Name That Shall Not Be Spoken - He Who Developed 100 Rogues, Lord Of Dinofarm - maybe we could get a few 100 Rogues avatars in here.

... though I still sometimes play 100 Rogues. I mostly don't get the hate. By no means my favorite roguelike, but the options for roguelikes on iOS are still pretty poo poo.

I don't think the game gets HATE in the technical sense. It became somewhat of an APP-DEV meme of like, "1 step forward, 3 steps back" that I think this forum just kinda laughed and slapped their foreheads at,

the hate came when the dev opened his mouth... about like anything, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

retro sexual posted:

Well we are getting Desktop Dungeons (eventually!) which is a lovely mix of roguelike + puzzler

Desktop Dungeons will be the iPad game to end all iPad games.

Honestly I would probably be fine if everyone packed up after this is out.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Spincut posted:

Which is somewhat baffling to me, really. Roguelikes seem like one genre that would be great on a mobile device.

If it's actually turn-based, then yeah, but "roguelike" as a genre seems to be drifting closer to ARPG nowadays, and god knows I wouldn't want to deal with anything like that on a touch device.

Are there even any released-in-the-last-5-years turn-based roguelikes out in the wild on any platform? The last time I recall anything like that was Lufia for the GBA.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

This looks kinda good, only problem it's an iPhone app rather than univrsal, does anyone know how well do he graphics scale up on an iPad 2?
I personally quite like a dungeon crawler by the name of Bit Dungeon
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bit-dungeon/id583949163?mt=8

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Also remember Fargoal 2 (miraculously) is in development, which I'm looking forward to quite a lot.

I didn't like 100 Rogues because if I die in a roguelike I want it to be because either I screwed up or the RNG screwed me, not because it's incredibly glitchy and crashes randomly. In fairness I haven't played the recent versions so it could be rock solid now but it's too late for me.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mr. Linden posted:

You know, I actually downloaded this being a fan of the sport. A suggestion: how about implementing some physics into the game?

Well, thanks for giving it a shot. Will pass this onto the team.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just as a reminder, if you haven't downloaded Gridlee yet, go do so. It still hasn't been taken down and it's the latest mobile version of MAME.

If you're not jailbroken, it's one of the few times you get a chance to have an emulator (especially one like this which works with the iCade to create a really cool iPad home arcade).

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I still have iDOS from the approximately 2 hours it was up the first time. I love it when stuff like that makes it through.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

JazzFlight posted:

Just as a reminder, if you haven't downloaded Gridlee yet, go do so. It still hasn't been taken down and it's the latest mobile version of MAME.

If you're not jailbroken, it's one of the few times you get a chance to have an emulator (especially one like this which works with the iCade to create a really cool iPad home arcade).
Do you know which mame romset it wants? I can't get anything to run on it. :(

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
.139u1 I believe.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mozi posted:

.139u1 I believe.
Yes; thank you! Robotron loads, but no sound and it comes up with one stick and 4 buttons instead of two sticks. So close...

edit: heh, fixed the sound issue (I had it set to airplay the sound to one of my apple TVs from earlier today when I was using the THX tuner (which is free for a bit and pretty OK). If there were a way to force two sticks instead of one stick and 4 buttons I'd be so happy ... any one know how it decides what controls to put up?

randyest fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 30, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ursine Asylum posted:

Are there even any released-in-the-last-5-years turn-based roguelikes out in the wild on any platform? The last time I recall anything like that was Lufia for the GBA.

Shiren the Wanderer on the DS and its sequel on the Wii and PSP

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
I'm loving the ghost trick "demo" is the rest of the game worth the $10? Also what other plot based games are there on iOS?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Good Citizen posted:

Shiren the Wanderer on the DS and its sequel on the Wii and PSP

Also all of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pan Ache posted:

I'm loving the ghost trick "demo" is the rest of the game worth the $10? Also what other plot based games are there on iOS?

Oh yes, Ghost Trick is absolutely worth it. Walking Dead is on iOS, if you havent tried it on other platforms.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ursine Asylum posted:

If by "released" you're not excluding free stuff, Crawl is my favorite traditional roguelike I've ever played and it's getting updated constantly-- the most recent version included an official Android port so maybe iOS is on the horizon

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The rear end Stooge posted:

A new Pokemon mystery dungeon is actually coming out in a few months on the 3DS.

[e] And ZHP (which is the best casual rougelike imo) which came out 2 years ago is getting a spiritual successor on the ps3 later this year.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Pan Ache posted:

Yes! Also get Phoenix Wright if you like it.

So I gave Dungelot a try. It gets better after the first run because they appear to have disabled about half of the obstacles on your first. Still simple though.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

The rear end Stooge posted:

Oh interesting, I thought it was just a generic JRPG with a slightly-different-than-usual-pokemon take. Is it any good as a roguelike, or is it all pretty low key?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

DrManiac posted:

[e] And ZHP (which is the best casual rougelike imo) which came out 2 years ago is getting a spiritual successor on the ps3 later this year.

Oh poo poo, I had no idea ZHP was getting a spiritual sequel on the PS3. I liked ZHP but never got that far because the down button on my PSP suddenly thought it'd be cool to stop working. As you can imagine, that's a pretty serious problem for a roguelike

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Anyone have some words on Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes?

Strategy RPGs can be pretty hit or miss with me, but I can really get into them if they have good battle systems or unique classes or something to grab me. Is it good?

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

Davincie posted:

Yes! Also get Phoenix Wright if you like it.

So I gave Dungelot a try. It gets better after the first run because they appear to have disabled about half of the obstacles on your first. Still simple though.

That's how I felt about it. I deleted the demo after playing once but I grabbed it when it was free and I like it more now. It's still pretty mindless but there's a little bit of strategy involved. I always have subgoals in mind when I play now. I like to go on a money run and try to leave a corpse in the right place so that I can make a progression run later and buy lots of attack upgrades, then grab my corpse down the road when I need a health boost.

It's still just a lazy ripoff of Desktop Dungeons without any of the thinking or challenge though.

The Royal Scrub posted:

Strategy RPGs can be pretty hit or miss with me, but I can really get into them if they have good battle systems or unique classes or something to grab me. Is it good?

It's one of my favorite puzzle games ever but it barely works on old devices. I can only vouch for the OG iPad and iPhone 4 and I absolutely would not buy it to play on either of those.

JGTheSpy fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 30, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Royal Scrub posted:

It's more like a match 3 puzzle battle game with RPG dressings.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

The Royal Scrub posted:

M&M:CoH is a good game but the controls on an iPhone translated pretty badly. If you have a later model iPad or an Xbox/Steam account then it's a pretty good connect 3 game with a lot of underlying strategy. Otherwise I'd skip it.

I bought it on both Xbox and Steam when it was on sale and didn't regret either purchase.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Are there even any released-in-the-last-5-years turn-based roguelikes out in the wild on any platform?

Time for you to try ToME.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Time for you to try ToME.

I could never get into Maj'Eyal. It's Nethack or nothing, for me.

Well, I've played Shiren on the DS a lot, but I just don't take it as seriously as Nethack.

FoppSomms
Oct 9, 2007

psylent posted:

I was out seeing a band the other night and suddenly realised that I was wishing there was a business sim where you manage a music venue.

You'd need to book top bands, hire staff, set ticket prices for each show, hire staff, set prices for drinks etc. It could have mini games like controlling the lights during a show, balancing the fine line between making an audience wait too long for a band to come on/building their anticipation etc.

Hilarious parody band names like The No No Nos, Lady Googoo, Werewolf Weekend, King and so on could be employed.

You'd start off managing a lovely little back room venue in a bar and progress up to stadium arena type dealies.

Could someone sort that out for me? Ta.

Awesome idea!

Whoever remakes this for ios: http://www.mobygames.com/game/rockstar will have all my money, forever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been playing Clash of Heroes on my iPad, so the controls havent been as much of an issue. What I would like is an animation speed slider though. Some turns take forever.

And I am so bad at chaining and linking stuff.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

I feel like the revert to level 1 is going to get irritating, but going from elf to knight and having both more room to combo in and no double- or quadruple-sized units cockblocking me feels so liberated.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 30, 2013

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

SynthOrange posted:

I've been playing Clash of Heroes on my iPad, so the controls havent been as much of an issue. What I would like is an animation speed slider though. Some turns take forever.

The key is to just prep your groups ahead of time. Put an off color unit in the middle of what would be a group of 4. YYBYY, for example. Next turn, you can delete the B, and add on two Y. Let them chill out in that formation until a similarly colored champion unit is 1 turn from attacking, then pop that row at once. Any unit will immediately change to full power at that point, so they'll go off next turn, and because you made a group that is going to go off at the same time as the champion, you will essentially link and fuse a group on the same turn.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

retro sexual posted:

Well we are getting Desktop Dungeons (eventually!) which is a lovely mix of roguelike + puzzler

Is this really ever going to happen? It's at least three years late already.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Maybe they should start a kickstarter.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

Unfit For Space posted:

Is this really ever going to happen? It's at least three years late already.

They still post updates pretty regularly. They're probably just slow. It's in Unity so porting to iOS shouldn't be much work.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

FoppSomms posted:

Awesome idea!

Whoever remakes this for ios: http://www.mobygames.com/game/rockstar will have all my money, forever.

God that game ruled. Haven't thought about it in years. Thanks for that nostalgia trip hahah

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dungeons of Dreadmor was planning on coming out for the iOS, but it seems like that got put on the back burner for their newest game. Which looks awesome but my lovely computer can't play it, so I would prefer more DoD :(

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

JGTheSpy posted:

They still post updates pretty regularly. They're probably just slow. It's in Unity so porting to iOS shouldn't be much work.

It's a mystery as to why they haven't released the game yet. I remember it looking done two years ago.

Dungelot is a casual roguelike for people that hate any sort of strategy or having their decisions in a game matter at all, but still want to experience the brutality of a really harsh RNG.

All actions (maybe one exception) in the game that let you affect the outcome of a fight are limited by items. A good example are the exploding pigs. They do extra damage to you if you kill them with a physical attack, but there are only a few spell scrolls that will counter this, and two are a huge waste to use on them. And there will always be way more pigs than scrolls. The ranged attack enemies are a similar deal, where you need items or they can take a bunch of extra health. And the traps you can only counter by finding a lantern, otherwise there's nothing you can do about them. Even the low level bats will usually attack first and chip away at your health over time.

It's a game of attrition, except you really can't do anything about it other than pray for good luck (lantern, compass, other essentials), grind gold for high attack power (the crappiest part of Desktop Dungeons), and hope for the random quests that give you a ton of health back. In the demo I had a super long run because I got the essential items and then a bunch of armors (they stack), and kept getting a quest that gave 80 health over and over. There doesn't seem to be much more to the game than that.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Ursine Asylum posted:

Oh interesting, I thought it was just a generic JRPG with a slightly-different-than-usual-pokemon take. Is it any good as a roguelike, or is it all pretty low key?

I haven't played it in a while but I remember liking it a lot. It's aimed at kids so it's obviously less complex and punishing than your average roguelike, but it's pretty fun. It's very similar to Shiren the Wanderer.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pan Ache posted:

Ghost Trick has a surprisingly awesome story. By the end I loved all the characters so much. It was worth the $10.

There's a decent amount of RPGs that were ported to iOS too, like Lunar or some of the Final Fantasy games. If you want actiony plot Bastion is on iOS and the controls aren't too bad. #Sworcery gets a lot of love for a plot driven thing.

Walking Dead is amazing on the PC, dunno how the iOS version holds up but that was the best plot I've played in years.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

Kepa posted:

It's a mystery as to why they haven't released the game yet. I remember it looking done two years ago.

Also, it's currently free for a limited time, whatever that means. It says so on the paid version's App Store page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ghost Trick has a surprisingly awesome story. By the end I loved all the characters so much. It was worth the $10.

There's a decent amount of RPGs that were ported to iOS too, like Lunar or some of the Final Fantasy games. If you want actiony plot Bastion is on iOS and the controls aren't too bad. #Sworcery gets a lot of love for a plot driven thing.

Walking Dead is amazing on the PC, dunno how the iOS version holds up but that was the best plot I've played in years.

I remember Lunar being poo poo on the GBA, including fun tropes as "guy leaves your party and takes the items he has on him with", "party members removed from the party and given back 30 levels later at the same level as when they left", and "all endgame mobs effortlessly killed using main characters first-learned magic ability". Did they modify it at all for iOS?

• Locked thread