Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Not worried, just anxious! Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Burning Shed have got a load of classic prog records up for pre-order, mostly Genesis plus a pink/grey splatter 2LP set of In The Land Of Grey And Pink by Caravan.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Some rad stuff I picked up recently. Beserkley comp and the Mothers of Invention comp were found at a thrift store for a buck each (!). The Beserkley comp has 4 Jonathan Richman songs/covers I hadn't heard before. Kill Rockstars comp is probably the worst out of the trilogy (B-side opens with Rancid??) but it has a different mix of a Smog song which is rad. The rest of the stuff was picked up at the DC record fair this weekend where I tried not to spend too much money. I'm stoked to finally get the Pre-Moon Syndrome record. A bunch of awesome bands are on there (Pagans, Unrest, Velocity Girl, [the better] The Go Team, Lungfish, etc).

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I'm finally getting around to listening to my Halloween 3 soundtrack. Death Waltz really put out a great product. Still my only vinyl from them, but if the rest are as good, I'm definitely looking forward to picking up more from them.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Ok I have to talk these Ultimate Outer 5.0 sleeves up. I just bought 100 of them and they are glorious. They are a bit stiffer than most sleeves I've used, so they kind of almost try to force themselves flat again so it fits most things pretty snugly (even my fattest gatefolds which are 9-10 mm thick):

They are also clear as hell:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
The preorder for the new album by The Men, New Moon, is up:

http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/releases/sbr090/

Check the limited edition:

Sacred Bones posted:

Limited edition of 350 hand-numbered copies in deluxe packaging. Includes a bonus CD Campfire Songs, featuring six acoustic songs not on the LP, along with hand-screen-printed wrap-around sleeve, wax-sealed, available by mail order only.

The limited editions of their previous albums go for mad cash. I really like their previous albums and they are supposed to be great live, which I will find out this weekend.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Chill Callahan posted:

Some rad stuff I picked up recently. Beserkley comp and the Mothers of Invention comp were found at a thrift store for a buck each (!). The Beserkley comp has 4 Jonathan Richman songs/covers I hadn't heard before. Kill Rockstars comp is probably the worst out of the trilogy (B-side opens with Rancid??) but it has a different mix of a Smog song which is rad. The rest of the stuff was picked up at the DC record fair this weekend where I tried not to spend too much money. I'm stoked to finally get the Pre-Moon Syndrome record. A bunch of awesome bands are on there (Pagans, Unrest, Velocity Girl, [the better] The Go Team, Lungfish, etc).

drat that Pre-Moon comp looks great.

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

not everybody's cup of tea

Doctor Cave posted:

The limited editions of their previous albums go for mad cash. I really like their previous albums and they are supposed to be great live, which I will find out this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Doctor Cave posted:

They used to be really good live (about a year and a half ago), wasn't too big on Open Your Heart and not feeling their new stuff.

Immaculada and Leave Home are great, though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

david puddy posted:

Ok I have to talk these Ultimate Outer 5.0 sleeves up. I just bought 100 of them and they are glorious. They are a bit stiffer than most sleeves I've used, so they kind of almost try to force themselves flat again so it fits most things pretty snugly (even my fattest gatefolds which are 9-10 mm thick):

They are also clear as hell:

But are they worth paying $20 for 50 of them? That's basically double what standard (good) sleeves cost.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

But are they worth paying $20 for 50 of them? That's basically double what standard (good) sleeves cost.

The sleeves I buy cost half that and accommodate gatefolds and double/triple LPs perfectly. They're made by bags unlimited.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Speaking of waiting for things in the mail (and losing them). The Kickstarter project I backed back in June or July finally shipped late December. Didn't get anything, but luckily saw the guy perform a week or two ago. I told him about it, and he gave me an LP, and a CD. Unfortunately, I also would have gotten an exclusive shirt, and bought a Dutch compilation he appeared in. He has some more comps, but no more shirts.

Hand screen printed cover:

DETAIL!

With glow in the dark!

(Track names are glow in the dark on the back, as well)

I highly recommend this guy, and if someone wants the bandcamp code from the LP I got, let me know (PM if you can) I got a code from Kickstarter. He's on tour right now, and puts on a neat show by himself with loop pedals. Go see him!
http://everendingkicks.bandcamp.com/album/notion-free

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

They were worth it for me because all my local stores charge 40 cents per mediocre sleeve.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
^Sounds like record stores have been overcharging you for sleeves.

CPL593H posted:

The sleeves I buy cost half that and accommodate gatefolds and double/triple LPs perfectly. They're made by bags unlimited.

These are the ones that I buy too. $20 for 100.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

These are the ones that I buy too. $20 for 100.

It costs like $30 in shipping to order 100 12" sleeves from overseas, stores have got to at least break even on them. I tried ordering from bags unlimited once but they didn't have a very good system set up and asked me to email them all my CC info which I am not really comfortable doing :(

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Mining boom :australia:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/01/28/relationship-of-command-to-be-repressed/

Relationship of Command is getting the re-press deal :woop:

edit: :ughh: Record Store Day.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I think it's only being released on that day in limited colors but probably gonna have a wider release from there on out. They'd be stupid to just make it an RSD 2012 exclusive.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

WASDF posted:

I think it's only being released on that day in limited colors but probably gonna have a wider release from there on out. They'd be stupid to just make it an RSD 2012 exclusive.

quote:

The album, originally released in 2000, will be released on colored vinyl for Record Store Day 2013, with the standard release coming the following Tuesday.

Looks to be the case. Color me excited for this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

david puddy posted:

It costs like $30 in shipping to order 100 12" sleeves from overseas, stores have got to at least break even on them........ :(

Oh that's right. I always forget that you live in Asstralia.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 29, 2013

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Square deal does 1200 packs for $90. Shipping brings it to like $110.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Being a fan of 90s music is hard when you're a record collector, considering that CDs were king. I liked a lot of electronic music from that era, though, and that's no so bad considering that DJs still used records and there's a lot of DJ-only pressings floating around.

That being said, I'm not sure if too many people will care about this, but I had one of those great finds (to me) that makes roaming the used bins so sporadically rewarding. It's the 12" single of Soul Coughing's "Screenwriter's Blues" that had some remixes on it that I'd never even heard of before. I LOVE Soul Coughing from that era (Ruby Vroom and so on) and was genuinely surprised to see this in the bin for 4 bucks. Very cool.

Regarding the electronic music aspect, one of my favorite things was when Amoeba here in San Francisco had a giant "electronica" blowout and the bins were full of stuff like singles from the Chemical Brothers in the Dig Your Own Hole era, older Prodigy, things like that. Super cheap and nostalgic.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I bought The Flaming Lips - Christmas on Mars: Once Beyond Hopelessness soundtrack on vinyl from a local record store yesterday used and it came with some previous-owner history.

I'd like to imagine that the receiver of the record was a man who would pretend to be a young attractive girl online in games like World of Warcraft and trick lonely but affluent nerds into sending her (him) flaming lips vinyl. The record itself is pretty sick. Great spacey mellotron jams. Sounds really classic sci-fi and at times even Disney. If you like how that sounds you should definitely pick this up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You had me at "mellotron".

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Yeah that's probably the coolest thing about the soundtrack, I think.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
http://www.recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/3348

When you spend your one day a year in a record store for Record Store Day, make sure you do it wearing the Official Record Store Day shoe.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I really don't think RSD needs to exist anymore. At all.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
LP sales are up again for like the 10th year running, let's call it a day and look back fondly as "(expensive) fun while it lasted".

fake edit: Let's not look back fondly enough to necessitate it coming back ever again.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

not that I want to haul this debate back up but from a consumer standpoint, gawwwwd I agree. Ask a record store owner and I bet they think it can stay around for much much longer.

It is kind of funny seeing completely out-of-place Incubus records unpurchased at one of my local record stores though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I thought this was a cool find:

Guitar Wolf - Run Wolf Run, the vinyl absolutely mint.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
RSD gets a pass in my book because my electric blue reissue of Chronic Town probably wouldn't exist without it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

WASDF posted:

How will I get my re-issue of Tusk on cotton candy vinyl?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Another thrift store find.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
http://vimeo.com/54125853

Pretty cool video

A expedition undertaken to discover, learn, meet and document the ideas and people behind the controls of vinyl record production.
Recorded over 6 weeks, travelling through Germany, Switzerland, Austria and the UK - For The Record exposes a number of notions about why vinyl is such an indelible medium and how it continues to remain popular in the the face of opposing format change.
Special thanks to all the people who helped and collaborated on this documentary.
Additional thanks to Creative New Zealand, for support funding.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So I just got my copy of the Profondo Rosso soundtrack from insound today. And of course it wasn't the edition listed on the website, good job insound. You lived up to your reputation the one loving time I decided to buy something from you!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

So I just got my copy of the Profondo Rosso soundtrack from insound today. And of course it wasn't the edition listed on the website, good job insound. You lived up to your reputation the one loving time I decided to buy something from you!

I have yet to receive my copy of the Soft Bulletin reissue that I ordered back in mid-November. Sorry I advocated for them, I guess. :(

Have you tried emailing them? They're decently prompt, in my experience.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I have yet to receive my copy of the Soft Bulletin reissue that I ordered back in mid-November. Sorry I advocated for them, I guess. :(

Have you tried emailing them? They're decently prompt, in my experience.

I'm still deciding on what I want to do. My major gripe is just that the one I got seems kind bootleggy. The disc and the sleeve have "Made in Italy" printed all over them, but there's also a little sticker on the cover that says "Made in Germany". So that seems kind of suspect. It was also not shrink wrapped and according to discogs this edition of the album is supposed to come with an insert, which it does not. I of course still paid 40 bucks for this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm still deciding on what I want to do. My major gripe is just that the one I got seems kind bootleggy. The disc and the sleeve have "Made in Italy" printed all over them, but there's also a little sticker on the cover that says "Made in Germany". So that seems kind of suspect. It was also not shrink wrapped and according to discogs this edition of the album is supposed to come with an insert, which it does not. I of course still paid 40 bucks for this.

Yeah, I would be blowing up their email/phone support over that. That sounds ridiculous.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

This looks cool! Thanks.

Alan Zweig made a documentary about record collectors back in 2000. It's not the best-made documentary, but it's worth it just to see some of the people he gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNRvB8lyRSM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Chill Callahan posted:

This looks cool! Thanks.

Alan Zweig made a documentary about record collectors back in 2000. It's not the best-made documentary, but it's worth it just to see some of the people he gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNRvB8lyRSM

Thanks, will give this a watch !