Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

That's a lot of writing just to say that "Mitt Romney is a stuffed shirt/empty suit" and that most modern GOP candidates are of the same mold.

You're right though.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

My father called me to crow about how I feel now that my taxes have gone up. I hadn't noticed, it's such a small increase. And I don't even make that much!

He was displeased with my answer.

Tell him you're super pissed off (at the Republicans that let it happen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

watt par posted:

Actually he doesn't. That's what the theology derail on the last page was about. He's a self-promoter first and foremost; he just uses incorrect bible quotes to that end.

I would bet money you could find more American Christians who didn't know what the Bible actually says than ones that do. Granted he was a minister so you would expect him to be more acquainted with the texts, but I still think that's probably not the case more often than it is. You can't say he doesn't believe it just because he's full of hypocrisy and contradictions. Religion is one of those things where all it takes for someone to "genuinely believe" is for them to believe that they genuinely believe. They don't have to actually know or understand anything about that religion to be true believers. I'd also wager there are more than a few people in Congress that claim to be Christian just to get votes and actually couldn't give two shits, but I seriously doubt Huckabee is one of them.

boom boom boom posted:

What documentary is that?

It's called Sarah Palin: You Betcha! and it's still on Netflix instant as of right now.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

My father called me to crow about how I feel now that my taxes have gone up. I hadn't noticed, it's such a small increase. And I don't even make that much!

Ugh. My FB was loving ridiculous.

"OMG THEY WITHELD 80 DOLLARS FROM MY CHECK THIS PAST MONTH WTF OOOOOBAKKKAMA?!?!? MONEY I NEED/"

How much was your withholding last month?

"72.96. :colbert:"

ed

The reason I think Huckabee is not a con artist but is a dupe pawn helping to further the con is not scientific, verifiable, or even remotely sensible. Regardless, my opinion of him rests purely on one thing: When I hear him I feel a deep and gut wrenching pity for the guy instead of the white hot anger I feel for Rush.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 29, 2013

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Did he respond with, "Well just wait until you start making more money!"? I get that a lot from my parents when I disagree with whining like a child about having to pay taxes. The funny thing is that I don't actually make that much less than my parents, but I guess old habits are hard to break.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The whole conservatives believing Colbert isn't satire reminds me of a similar situation on radio . Several years ago, a guy named Phil Hendrie used to "do shtick" on his radio show (on KFI in Los Angeles, though he was syndicated in a lot of places) by throwing his voice to make it appear he was talking to other people when he was actually just talking to himself. He would come up with crazy or outlandish situations for these fake people to talk about, like a man believing he was being bombed by Al Qaeda because he heard a loud noise in the back of his car.. while he was inside a carwash. Or he would have supposed "JPL Scientist" Dr. Jim Sadler "come on" his show and claim things like abortions were actually healthy and women should get them as often as possible. (I don't think that was an actual topic, but similar things were!)

He would come up with overtly offensive stuff for his characters to say, and the audience would call up to complain and "debate" his fake characters. This continued until he quit the show after around 8 years, AND even after he was forced to put in a disclaimer at the start of the show revealing his charade. Some people just couldn't believe that it was fake, and continued to call in outraged.

He was probably the one guy on the station that wasn't overtly right wing (at least before 9-11), and I believe his show has actually returned and he's doing the same stuff now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phil_Hendrie_Show

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I had the reverse happen to me - Phil Hendrie was the reason why I thought Alex Jones was a deadpan humorist.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I spent a decent portion of today looking for Francis Dec youtube clips. He may have died, but his insane rantings are actually funny.

Maybe this will happen to Alex Jones in the next 10 years...

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly don't think Michael Savage believes what he says. Folks like Rush, Levin, Hannity, sure. But not Savage.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
What do you guys think of Ross Douthat? He's one of the few conservative writers I can stand to read any more. I think as you all know the intellectual landscape for those of us conservative who aren't raging lunatic GOP types is pretty barren right now. (and then you can go back to making fun of the likes of Hannity and Limbaugh which I fully support.)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do-that? Sounds like a Statist to me :colbert:

This one is interesting:

http://www.theatlantic.com/personal/archive/2009/04/the-tea-parties/56092/

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Douthat says just as stupid poo poo as the rest of the field he just does it a more boring way. Anyway he should have stuck with his first love, reviewing romance animes and comparing the difference in crotch shading between import copies. Not because I want to read them but because then nowhere would publish him and we wouldn't be talking about him now.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Goatman Sacks posted:

I honestly don't think Michael Savage believes what he says. Folks like Rush, Levin, Hannity, sure. But not Savage.

Savage doesn't.

I'll talk to my friend next week and see if I can get him to write something up about all the radio blowhards he knows personally. You can count the number that believe the poo poo they're selling on one hand and that's probably generous.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My Statist joke made me think.

How many GOP voters in the future will be angry 'gently caress you dad' trustfund crust anarchists? The future is Paul Ryan *shudders*

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Goatman Sacks posted:

You've got it backwards, and it's going to hurt a lot when you realize it.

Rush and Hannity don't believe what they say (I pray to a non-existent god).
Levin and Savage DO actually believe what they say.

Levin and Savage listeners take it ALL in, and live it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Coulter and Savage always seemed to me the textbook examples of right wing blowhards who come across like they are just playing a role, trolling for fun and profit, and just amp up the outrageous factor to kind of give themselves cover. In the case of Savage, the guy's background before wingnut radio is pretty much a giveaway, IMHO. O'Reilly is another who probably doesn't believe a good portion of what he pimps (War on Christmas etc.), he seems somewhat intelligent and probably just saw what a great racket being a right wing media personality would be, and was one of the first big TV ones, got right in on the ground floor.

It wouldn't surprise me about almost any of them to find out that they felt most of what they were broadcasting was bullshit and just did it for the money. Hannity seems too dumb to be anything but a true believer in my opinion. I'll bet Limbaugh probably believes most of his bullshit these days whether he did or didn't initially. He's been built up as too much of a god on the right to not buy into his own bull, it would probably happen to almost any of us in that situation, it's too much adulation for almost any ego to withstand.

I bet hardly any of them buy into the religious right stuff. The fact that Coulter and Limbaugh stay single or multiply divorced says a lot, they probably laugh at the Bible thumping rubes who worship them and send them money, while doing lines of coke off hooker's backsides.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
I'm not so sure about Ann Coulter. Publicly declaring one's disbelief in Darwinism is a pretty goddamn big PR risk for one who presumably doesn't actually buy into fundamentalist Christianity.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby
O'Reilly knows it's all bullshit and has admitted it to some extent before. He's also not an idiot, he just plays one on the TV. Coulter and Limbaugh are quasi the same. Coulter just dislikes holier than thou liberals and get's a kick out of bashing them, understable and profitable. But if you've ever seen some of the times she's talking to Maher he gives up the juice that it's all a game and he does the same to conservatives for the same reasons, it's fun/pays the bills. Limbaugh actually is somewhat racist, but most of the poo poo he says is to get a reaction and he admits it over and over. Hannity is just playing a bit role. Even Beck tells people he's an entertainer.

Outside of the die hard libertarian types and the hardcore christians most of the celebs don't buy the bullshit they are pushing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

And this discussion goes back to what I was saying about Huckabee and Cain. I think the people who intentionally sell bullshit they don't even believe themselves are completely morally bankrupt and far worse than the idiots who believe the poo poo and are genuinely trying to sell about their beliefs.

I mean end result they're still both selling terrible beliefs, but one group is doing it solely for personal gain by exploiting stupid people and the other because they genuinely believe they are helping people "see the light." I find the former far, far more disgusting because they have the intelligence and awareness to make a better choice and they don't because it benefits them more not to do so.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I get disliking holier-than-thou liberals and hippies, but I don't understand disliking them more than holier-than-thou conservatives unless you're a true believer. You'd think Limbaugh wouldn't want to hang out with preachers.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

SilentD posted:

O'Reilly knows it's all bullshit and has admitted it to some extent before. He's also not an idiot, he just plays one on the TV. Coulter and Limbaugh are quasi the same. Coulter just dislikes holier than thou liberals and get's a kick out of bashing them, understable and profitable. But if you've ever seen some of the times she's talking to Maher he gives up the juice that it's all a game and he does the same to conservatives for the same reasons, it's fun/pays the bills. Limbaugh actually is somewhat racist, but most of the poo poo he says is to get a reaction and he admits it over and over. Hannity is just playing a bit role. Even Beck tells people he's an entertainer.

Outside of the die hard libertarian types and the hardcore christians most of the celebs don't buy the bullshit they are pushing.

Just out of curiosity do you have any links or quotes from Maher on this? I pretty much suspected as much about him, just hadn't seen where he had admitted to it, even partially so. Coulter I'm sure is just a giant troll laughing all the way to the bank.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

vulturesrow posted:

Just out of curiosity do you have any links or quotes from Maher on this? I pretty much suspected as much about him, just hadn't seen where he had admitted to it, even partially so. Coulter I'm sure is just a giant troll laughing all the way to the bank.

Watch his HBO show. He spends a ton of time bashing the hell out of liberals as well and has all sorts of libertarians on and keeps agreeing with them. He'll say crap about trolling conservatives because it's easy and makes money. He has Coulter on all the time, they are close personal friends, and she'll fess up there as well. Real Time With Bill Maher, go watch some of them it's pretty entertaining to see Bill defending Coulter and talking about bashing both sides.

quote:

I get disliking holier-than-thou liberals and hippies, but I don't understand disliking them more than holier-than-thou conservatives unless you're a true believer.

I thought the same too till I participated in the 2008 campaign, and coming from a fairly liberal area holy loving poo poo progressives are many times worse than conservatives. It's mind numbing, a lot of the stupidity and crazy poo poo puts birthers and the Tea Party to shame. And the people are genuinely vile and hate filled human beings.

EDIT- I think this relates to where you are. If you're in the south you probably have extremely batty conservatives and fairly normal liberals. But if you live in a more liberal area the conservatives are all normal and middle of the road types but the progressives are nutters. Here in DC it's the left with the Obama as Hitler signs and talking about how half the nation is subhuman and we should drive them all into poverty and complaining about rural moochers and takers, bashing nuclear fuel, advocating veganism to stop global warming, and how people who drive SUVs should be thrown into jail. When Obama won none of them threated to move but when a Republican does you get all sorts of talk about leaving the nation to get away from Christians or moving to Canada. The entire dynamic is turned on it's head.

2008 really opened my eyes as to where the true jackasses are.

SilentD fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 30, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

I get disliking holier-than-thou liberals and hippies, but I don't understand disliking them more than holier-than-thou conservatives unless you're a true believer. You'd think Limbaugh wouldn't want to hang out with preachers.

$$$$$$$

SilentD posted:

Watch his HBO show. He spends a ton of time bashing the hell out of liberals as well and has all sorts of libertarians on and keeps agreeing with them. He'll say crap about trolling conservatives because it's easy and makes money. He has Coulter on all the time, they are close personal friends, and she'll fess up there as well. Real Time With Bill Maher, go watch some of them it's pretty entertaining to see Bill defending Coulter and talking about bashing both sides.

Maher is a liberal through and through. He trolls conservatives for fun, but he also finds their politics terrible. Also he agrees with libertarians on getting rid of laws based on social issues, just like any other liberal.

SilentD posted:

I thought the same too till I participated in the 2008 campaign, and coming from a fairly liberal area holy loving poo poo progressives are many times worse than conservatives. It's mind numbing, a lot of the stupidity and crazy poo poo puts birthers and the Tea Party to shame. And the people are genuinely vile and hate filled human beings.

It's probably easier to sit quiet and contentedly when your "side" essentially controls political discourse in the country. Like yeah, for one example, vocal atheists are annoying as poo poo, but they do have legitimately more to bitch about than Christians.

It's like when Prop 8 succeeded and conservatives were like "welp, that's been democratically decided everyone should just drop the issue" when if they were actually on the side that experienced adversity they wouldn't shut up for anything. Conservatives have just won more battles in the last few decades and so it's easier for them to say "why even bring this up everything is fine as it is" and so they appear more calm and collected. Hell, they've been insanely vocal in the last couple years just because of a handful of marginal civil rights victories that were nowhere close to the scope of crippling union power in the US or deregulating the financial industry. Liberals are crazier because they live in a crazy country that would rather destroy itself than work toward a level playing field.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 30, 2013

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

quote:

It's probably easier to sit quiet and contentedly when your "side" essentially controls political discourse in the country. Like yeah, for one example, vocal atheists are annoying as poo poo, but they do have legitimately more to bitch about than Christians.

This again though really depends on where you live. I don't ever see fundies here in large numbers, they don't really exist. On the other hand militant atheists are a thing here and it's fairly easy to run into one of them, and they will read the riot act to Christians and call them all idiots. Here, they are the aggressors. I don't have to go travel all that far for the situation to be reversed though.

Really any group can behave like incredible assholes when they are the majority in that area.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SilentD posted:

When Obama won none of them threated to move but when a Republican does you get all sorts of talk about leaving the nation to get away from Christians or moving to Canada. The entire dynamic is turned on it's head.

It was really funny hearing conservatives making fun of liberals by saying "welp I'm moving to canada now" when obamacare was ruled constitutional. Try finding another first world country that doesn't have some sort of universal health care system then get back to me on that.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Lord Lambeth posted:

It was really funny hearing conservatives making fun of liberals by saying "welp I'm moving to canada now" when obamacare was ruled constitutional. Try finding another first world country that doesn't have some sort of universal health care system then get back to me on that.

Maybe the people you saw saying that were liberals, hoping that an Obamacare repeal would re-open opportunities for single payer :haw:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

SilentD posted:

EDIT- I think this relates to where you are. If you're in the south you probably have extremely batty conservatives and fairly normal liberals. But if you live in a more liberal area the conservatives are all normal and middle of the road types

I would just like to point out that Andrew Breitbart is from Los Angeles.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I would like to point out that Breitbart was actually from Des Moines, and will repeat it long enough that people begin to describe him as a "supposedly-Los Angeles based pundit."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The reason I think Huckabee is not a con artist but is a dupe pawn helping to further the con is not scientific, verifiable, or even remotely sensible. Regardless, my opinion of him rests purely on one thing: When I hear him I feel a deep and gut wrenching pity for the guy instead of the white hot anger I feel for Rush.

Funnily enough my feelings about Huckabee as a con artist stem from a similar gut feeling, though rooted in knowing plenty of small-time huckster Baptist ministers just like him who use the exact same tricks. That's not to say they're all atheists or don't have some religious belief, but it's nowhere near as deep or true as some people think. Honestly Jimmy Carter's the only Southern Baptist (well former) who I really think is a true believer in the gospel and actually understands it.

SilentD posted:

He hasn't had her on since they broke up. At any rate Maher also buys into a lot of the granola hippie poo poo like anti-vax that we all love tarring the sillier liberals with. He's a very credulous person.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 30, 2013

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

SilentD posted:

This again though really depends on where you live. I don't ever see fundies here in large numbers, they don't really exist. On the other hand militant atheists are a thing here and it's fairly easy to run into one of them, and they will read the riot act to Christians and call them all idiots. Here, they are the aggressors. I don't have to go travel all that far for the situation to be reversed though.

Really any group can behave like incredible assholes when they are the majority in that area.

The bolded quote is accurate but seems to contradict your thesis that liberals are, on the whole, more insufferable than conservatives. Yeah, there are some nutty, rear end in a top hat liberals, but the nuts don't seem to dominate the airwaves or the legislature. Meanwhile, the nuts on the conservative side do, in fact, have a significant beachhead on those two fronts. Of course, I live in Kentucky, so I see it more than you do. Many of my friends were saying school shootings happened because we don't force kids to pray in schools, echoing what that rear end in a top hat Huckabee said.

And you probably don't notice the militant atheists. Also, what is a militant atheist? It seems like Christians and Muslims have to kill people or call for people to be killed in order to be called militant, whereas militant atheists merely have to exist publicly.

King Dopplepopolos fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 30, 2013

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

the2ndgenesis posted:

I'm not so sure about Ann Coulter. Publicly declaring one's disbelief in Darwinism is a pretty goddamn big PR risk for one who presumably doesn't actually buy into fundamentalist Christianity.

Didn't 5 out of 7 republican primary candidates keep their hands down when asked if they believed Evolution was a sound theory in the primary debates back in 2011?

Creationism may not be quite a unifying belief for conservatives, but those that do accept evolution will readily make excuses for the loons and dogmatists.

I'd be more cautious about giving O'Reilly the "he's a smart guy doing schtick for the rubes". It takes a moral monster to put a private individual on the media rack ("Tiller the Killer") knowing you are putting his life at risk, and then just wave it away when he does get killed, all the more so when you don't actually have a real ideological/moral beef with him and just needed to dangle something to rile the frothing masses.

That's pretty much straddling the line between sociopathy and psychopathy right there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SilentD posted:

The problem is that most of their listeners believe it entirely and think that those media figures are the only ones they can trust. It's a lot like mega churches and televangilists who know they're only in it for the money but whose followers think they're speaking directly for God.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will show you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

watt par posted:

Funnily enough my feelings about Huckabee as a con artist stem from a similar gut feeling, though rooted in knowing plenty of small-time huckster Baptist ministers just like him who use the exact same tricks. That's not to say they're all atheists or don't have some religious belief, but it's nowhere near as deep or true as some people think. Honestly Jimmy Carter's the only Southern Baptist (well former) who I really think is a true believer in the gospel and actually understands it.

I totally get this. Growing up in small-town Texas, I saw every preacher-type out there, and only a few truly believed their schtick. Most just viewed it as another job.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Sephyr posted:

Didn't 5 out of 7 republican primary candidates keep their hands down when asked if they believed Evolution was a sound theory in the primary debates back in 2011?

It was 2007 and you're exaggerating the numbers a bit. It was 3 out of around 10 candidates on stage that raised their hands to say they didn't believe in evolution

It was Huckabee, Tancredo, and Brownback

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Aliquid posted:

I totally get this. Growing up in small-town Texas, I saw every preacher-type out there, and only a few truly believed their schtick. Most just viewed it as another job.

I'm going to keep bringing up the story of how Huck vetoed disaster relief because it referred to it as "an act of God", and apparently he took offense at the idea that God would roll like that. You'd think a southern evangelical would know by heart exactly how Old Testament God did things, vis-a-vis rains of fire, wormwood, etc.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
You can't go on air and make a career out of lying and spewing propaganda if you aren't a conservative hack at heart. Even if someone like Coulter is trolling liberals for fun and profit, she knows what she's doing and how many people buy into her bullshit. Excusing all of it because it pays well is the essence of FYGM.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ErIog posted:

Did he respond with, "Well just wait until you start making more money!"? I get that a lot from my parents

This sure is a great argument. As my dad likes to say "I wish I paid a million in taxes", just imagine how much money you'd be making and have left after taxes if you paid that much, it'd be pretty drat sweet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Orange Devil posted:

This sure is a great argument. As my dad likes to say "I wish I paid a million in taxes", just imagine how much money you'd be making and have left after taxes if you paid that much, it'd be pretty drat sweet.

I got 98 problems, and money ain't one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

watt par posted:

So did all these ministers you encountered sit down and have a candid heart-to-heart with you where they told you they didn't believe in any of the poo poo they were saying or are you just making generalizations based on how authentic they felt to you? I will reiterate that being a hypocrite and holding contradictory beliefs does not make them not "believers." It makes them stupid, sure, but it doesn't mean they don't wholeheartedly believe in whatever they claim to believe in. Someone claiming to be a devout Christian and not following any aspect of the religion to any degree does not mean they don't fully believe they are what they say they are. Basically the only way you could definitively say someone was full of poo poo would be if they came out and told you they were or they got caught doing something they constantly tirade against, like having a homosexual relationship. You could argue that he's not as good of a Christian as he thinks he is, but I don't think you can reasonably say he doesn't actually believe in the stuff he is saying. Especially not to the degree of clowns like Limbaugh and Beck.