Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well hell, my Gamestop (in Texas) doesn't even have it in stock yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

The chapter 3 boss just landed a critical hit on my unit.

his critical hit chance is 1%

Fire emblem...:shepicide:

I've gone through the game twice without seeing a single enemy critical. Fire Emblem!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

First attack on my playthrough of the lunatic difficulty demo was a crit against my Avatar. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Seriously, we need our own :darksouls: for this kind of stuff. Maybe a critting soldier/fighter clad in red?

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr Pepper posted:

First attack on my playthrough of the lunatic difficulty demo was a crit against my Avatar. :v:

Just don't end up being like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blt333ugIV4. This guy is playing lunatic mode wrong.

On a related note, has anyone found a reliable way to get past the first five guys on lunatic without having Frederick kill one?

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
I vote a red FE7 mercenary doing the little taunt with his sword at the start of his crit animation.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I'm friends with a dude working at gamestop, and he just explained the whole situation to me on facebook (for anyone not entirely sure what's happening).

quote:

mkay, so. FE:A was dated for Feb 4th on the gamestop computers
but this wasn't the "street date"
that date actually varies store to store
so certain stores will have the system and game before the 4th
and because there isn't a street date
the game can be sold upon delivery

its just that Nintendo didn't set an official sale date
if they had, it would have been either this past sunday or next sunday

So anyone getting it shipped from Gamestop is boned because that shipment date isn't going to be weirdly early. Everyone else- go hogwild.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Henry is kept as Henry. No idea about Liberia yet.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kanpachi posted:

I vote a red FE7 mercenary doing the little taunt with his sword at the start of his crit animation.

It needs to be animated somehow, but I have no talent for that. I'd say first show the chance to hit/crit, then show the merc doing the taunt, then show a high speed unit that normally would have an excellent chance to dodge or otherwise survive a regular hit.

After reading this thread I ran down to the Gamestop I have Awakening reserved at, knowing it wouldn't be in. The worker I talked to confirmed that the game is no longer on their "Coming Soon" listing on their registers so it's open season. Basically it could be in my hands RIGHT NOW if they'd even received the game. :sigh:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

It needs to be animated somehow, but I have no talent for that. I'd say first show the chance to hit/crit, then show the merc doing the taunt, then show a high speed unit that normally would have an excellent chance to dodge or otherwise survive a regular hit.

After reading this thread I ran down to the Gamestop I have Awakening reserved at, knowing it wouldn't be in. The worker I talked to confirmed that the game is no longer on their "Coming Soon" listing on their registers so it's open season. Basically it could be in my hands RIGHT NOW if they'd even received the game. :sigh:

In the US?

Goddamn this is the one game that's going to make me go to a gamestop for the first time in like, a year.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Serenes lives again. HD failure, apparently.

Early impressions: Hard mode is hard, but in a good way. I do have a lot of trouble keeping people alive while also getting optional objectives, like recovering treasure stolen by thieves (why are they stealing from themselves? I guess they know they're hosed and hightailing it?) in the first side mission. Enemy axe users hit really hard.

Vaike is your only axe user for quite a while, unless you want to use Fred, and his defense is poo poo. I pair him with Sully for extra stats, and then they get total weapon coverage plus mobility.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Mordecai posted:

Vaike is your only axe user for quite a while, unless you want to use Fred, and his defense is poo poo. I pair him with Sully for extra stats, and then they get total weapon coverage plus mobility.

You could stick Fred on him to give him a nice boost to his Def. Though that doesn't really fix his low Skl. Really I'm using him more as a support unit since his Atk bonus is pretty nice.

The first paralogue was the first time I had to reset fifty times because of dumb mistakes at the beginning. It's been too long, Fire Emblem :allears:.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Whats are accepted ways to pay for the eShop? Im currently inclinced to buy a used US 3ds here since I have no chance to get the awakening bundle from the US after all. :(

Buying an European 3ds is out of the question because the other games I want for it probably wont be localized.

Meleemancer
Jul 24, 2007

Weapons that don't cost MP? Why would you want that?
Since reclassing gives you more room to grow by letting you gain more levels, does it make sense to do the previously unthinkable and promote at level 10?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's what I'm planning, since that means I get more skills.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meleemancer posted:

Since reclassing gives you more room to grow by letting you gain more levels, does it make sense to do the previously unthinkable and promote at level 10?
Well, I could see promoting before 20, but exactly at level 10 is a bit much. Reclassing costs money, and if you don't plan to grind you might not have enough to make up for it on every character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meleemancer posted:

Early promoting is basically sacrificing exp gain for earlier promotion benefits/earlier skill. If that's worthwhile is up to you.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DrManiac posted:

In the US?

Goddamn this is the one game that's going to make me go to a gamestop for the first time in like, a year.

Yeah, in the US, though I am almost sure they're not expecting too many sales outside pre-orders company wide.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
It's not clear in-game, but is there a limit to how many support conversations you can do like in previous games?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

One S support per character, but that's the only limit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
And S supports are just 'Will you marry me?' in support form so you really aren't missing out on much.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Endorph posted:

Well, I could see promoting before 20, but exactly at level 10 is a bit much. Reclassing costs money, and if you don't plan to grind you might not have enough to make up for it on every character.

From what I've heard, they basically throw money at you in this game. So, on lower difficulties it's probably not much of an issue.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

The chapter 3 boss just landed a critical hit on my unit.

his critical hit chance is 1%

Fire emblem...:shepicide:

Surround your own unit with three different characters, like so:
XOX
-X-
This decreases your chance to be critically hit by 10% :ssh:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
This is extremely important to me. Does reclassing in this game change my character's 3d model?

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

JackDarko posted:

This is extremely important to me. Does reclassing in this game change my character's 3d model?

It would be kind of hilarious if you reclassed to, say, Pegasus Knight, and your 3D model didn't change at all.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes. They will keep some of their personal flair (Donnel will always have his pot, no matter what class you are) though. Their portraits won't change though, so if you reclass Kellam into a thief, his portrait will still have him in his huge suit of armour.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

JackDarko posted:

Yes, everyone keeps their own head model but the body will change to the class' body. So all Great Knights will be wearing armor, and riding horses, very similar to Frederick's etc.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Oh god how do I save The mage and troubadour in chapter 5 I've forgotten just how hard these games are :negative:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Phlogistic posted:

It would be kind of hilarious if you reclassed to, say, Pegasus Knight, and your 3D model didn't change at all.

I'd be pissed! I would just hate for my armor to look the same...

:negative: I have to get shinier.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Serenes Forest is up again. All of it.

And with it, we got some names for the children.

Wood is Owain.

Azure is Inigo. (:allears:)

Cynthia stays the same.

Brady stays the same.

Selena is Severa. (:allears:)

Noire stays the same.

Nn is Nah. (:allears:)

Treehouse owns with this localization!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Nah. Hahahahahaha

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't like Severa, Inigo, or Owain. Unless I'm missing something Severa ruins the name theme her and her mom had going on, and Inigo and Owain just look/sound weird.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Also Degel -> Kjelle. Which is I think the only one I outright dislike.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I like Kjelle actually. It sounds kinda Scandinavian.

EDIT: Also, judging from an english support, they've made Nowi sound more mature. Expected.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 30, 2013

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Kjele is Norwegian for pot (well, cauldron/kettle). :haw:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

And Kjell means kettle, cauldron, or helmet.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Well if there is a character named Inigo I'll never not have them classed as a myrmidon/swordmaster.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just make sure to kill off whoever the father is.

And Kjelle should be pronounced "Shell", for those wondering.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 30, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Libera's name is just Libra apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Whats are accepted ways to pay for the eShop? Im currently inclinced to buy a used US 3ds here since I have no chance to get the awakening bundle from the US after all. :(

Credit card or Nintendo fun bux. Presumably both have to match the region where the 3DS comes from. Since you're a Euro, a credit card is out of the question so your only choice is to buy Nintendo's Mickey Mouse money.

You can get them pretty reliably from Play Asia since they'll just e-mail you the code after the purchase. But it's up to you if you want to get scalped a little bit when it comes to buying this stuff online.

• Locked thread