Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Blue Jays? Barn owls? Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

uglynoodles posted:

Ah! I have a bird tattoo!

It's not quite finished, the pinion feathers need filling out with black, but most of the rest is done.

... Jesus Christ my hair looks poo poo from the back since it grew out. I really need to shave it into a Mohican again. drat.

Also, I worked in a tattoo studio for a good while doing piercings, designs, and a few tattoos myself. I have loads of experience designing tattoos. None of that 'Pick it from a book' bullshit either, I mean custom, describe to me what you want and I draw it. I can also offer some basic tattoo advice.

No seriously I love talking tattoos.

Here was an idea (NOT A FINAL) for a bird arm shield I was making for myself. Lots of elements of this are wonky because it was just a doodle but the idea is still something I want to work with:

Awesomeeeeee. If you use AIM and feel like discussing my crazy tattoo ideas and would like to contribute, holla, dirtysanchez220 (yes, I've had it since 8th grade)

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Official Bizness posted:

I've been thinking a lot lately about getting a tattoo that would represent the love I have for my flock of idiots. Anyone have their own bird-based tattoos or ideas?
Someday I want to cover up two of the stupid, stupid tattoos I have with conure ones. I am thinking of getting a yellow sided conure with a little monocle or something silly like that. To match, I could get a green cheek with a little bow on the head. That way my male and female bird are represented.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I have a bird tattoo too, though it's quite simple especially compared to noodles' lovely one!

Picture was taken the day of, which is why it's a bit shiny. I wanted something simple to complement my existing tat, and this summer I'm probably going to build on it to have a half-sleeve of vines/feathers. Her name's Alma. :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
That blue jay is just so loving jazzed to be a tattoo :3:

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

uglynoodles posted:

Ah! I have a bird tattoo!

I love this tattoo! I'm a big fan of tattoos that use shaded colors, like a real painting, to create the finished art. Solid silhouettes like LITERALLY A BIRD's are also very very lovely and seem like they would age well. So many tat's I see are just colored in outlines with hard edges and I don't like the look.

My sister and I have been kicking around ideas for similar-themed tattoos since we were teenagers. Would you be willing to help when we finally get serious about it? (especially because I really want to incorporate a bird and yours is so gorgeous)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Why did we look at the green cheek again... Why did we look at the green cheek again... Why did we look at the green cheek again.. Why did we look at the green cheek again...

It loves scritches. And its a little nippy. But its awesome, and missing a rear toenail, but it still does the conure acrobatics just fine.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Green cheeks are exponentially better than suns. JUST SAYING.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Green cheeks are exponentially better than suns. JUST SAYING.

We were just looking at black caps on google. GF Really wants a turquoise, but any green check variety will do.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Turquoises are ridiculously beautiful. Maybe I'm weird: I like parrots in dark greens and blues and black more than I do the brighter, more traditional parrot colors. They're just so earthy and organic.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

They're still going to poo poo all over everything you own because that is how it is.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

No love for 'Tori? You can have some more photos anyway.

He was sat on his bottle, watching the crows in the snow earlier.

Then he got furious at the human taking photos of him and getting up close with the camera.

I managed to appease him in the end.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
The last one looks like he could be a bottle opener.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Lenswork posted:

My sister and I have been kicking around ideas for similar-themed tattoos since we were teenagers. Would you be willing to help when we finally get serious about it? (especially because I really want to incorporate a bird and yours is so gorgeous)

Thanks, and yes of course. :3:

mikerock posted:

They're still going to poo poo all over everything you own because that is how it is.

Mostly true. Iro is super good about this though. She never poops on people and tends to 'hold it' as long as she can when she's out of the cage. I try to put her back on her perch for a second every 10 - 15 minutes. She seems to have gathered why. Every now and then if she's near her cage she'll climb up, do her business and then come back down.

But she has crapped on one of our expensive surround sound speakers before. :(

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Wozbo posted:

The last one looks like he could be a bottle opener.

You know, I wonder if I could train my bird to open bottles now that you mention it. Especially an umbrella, since they have two pronounced prongs on their lower beak. And then I could go to Budweiser or Coors and make a million for putting my retard bird in a Super Bowl commercial.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I tried having a small training session with Steve, starting with Wave, and teaching him the same way as Ohtori but using praise instead of food since there's nothing he'll work for. He isn't even fond of sunflower seeds-he leaves them in his bowl.

He ran away after I praised him the third time, then tried to bite me the on the fourth attempt. :saddowns:

Eejit posted:

You know, I wonder if I could train my bird to open bottles now that you mention it. Especially an umbrella, since they have two pronounced prongs on their lower beak. And then I could go to Budweiser or Coors and make a million for putting my retard bird in a Super Bowl commercial.

Definitely-Ohtori doesn't have the strength or I'd teach him, but your bird would be able to, and it probably wouldn't take very long either.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qujtreX642g

Oh god the Green Wing likes lovely beer.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

No love for 'Tori? You can have some more photos anyway.

Actually I showed my boyfriend the eagle photos and he thought they were great. Given that he is not a bird person that is a compliment of the highest order!

And I, too, want a parrot bottle opener.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In this one he looks like he's winding back for a reeeeeally big bite. :D

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

I tried having a small training session with Steve, starting with Wave, and teaching him the same way as Ohtori but using praise instead of food since there's nothing he'll work for. He isn't even fond of sunflower seeds-he leaves them in his bowl.

He ran away after I praised him the third time, then tried to bite me the on the fourth attempt. :saddowns:

Are you sure Steve isn't secretly taking angry bird lessons from Ohtori?

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Ohtori is just so pretty. I love all his colours! He and Iro would make pretty babbu birds. :)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ohtori is the best bird, I'm always happy to see the little Froot Loop :3: (I may or may not have shared your pictures with my sister)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

Ohtori is the best bird, I'm always happy to see the little Froot Loop :3: (I may or may not have shared your pictures with my sister)

I shared them with her. She loved them.

Of course she also loves LABs tattoo.

And wants one of her own now :eng99:

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 12, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Thanks for all the comments. :3:

I'm glad as well that my photo dumps are okay, I don't want to be one of those posters that keeps obliviously posting stuff that isn't actually interesting. That, and it takes time and :effort: to pick half decent ones and crop/resize.

Kenshin posted:

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qujtreX642g

Oh god the Green Wing likes lovely beer.

I was thinking a twist cap from a water bottle or something, this is far better.

Pookah posted:

In this one he looks like he's winding back for a reeeeeally big bite. :D

Even mid-yawn, he looks devious.

uglynoodles posted:

Ohtori is just so pretty. I love all his colours! He and Iro would make pretty babbu birds. :)

I will mail him out to you. He certainly has making babby birds on his mind lately, despite doing our best to minimise any hormonal triggers. Hopefully Iro won't take too much offense if he isn't interested in her because she's a girl.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Are you sure Steve isn't secretly taking angry bird lessons from Ohtori?

In seriousness Steve is meaner than Ohtori when it comes to biting-he'll actually break the skin on the first bite, for something as minor as thinking you're about to put him back in his cage. Lately though he seems to be learning some restraint, a few times he's grabbed my finger with his beak and not put a hole in it. Progress!

Ohtori will bitch and squeak and yell and roll on to his back kicking his legs in rage, or climb over you to chew on your neck and ears, or clamp down hard, but he never breaks the skin. If he's hurting, an EEEP will make him stop and let go, then readjust to a more gentle pressure. Even in the middle of a tantrum, surprisingly.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

I will mail him out to you. He certainly has making babby birds on his mind lately, despite doing our best to minimise any hormonal triggers. Hopefully Iro won't take too much offense if he isn't interested in her because she's a girl.

Ugh, tell me about it. Iro masturbates once or twice a day, and stares at me intently whilst doing it if I'm in the room. She does this horrible thing where she straddles the wooden block on a hanging rope toy so the other half of it drapes across her back, and then it's all flicking wings, horrid squeals that go on seemingly forever, increasing in volume, and the staring. Oh god, the staring.

Iro, I know a girl's got needs and poo poo, but do that when I'm not around, please. :(

Ugh. I do the best I can to keep her light levels regulated, but... Well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I had a lovebird that would masturbate on the window curtains and he once did it to an old lady's head of hair.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Joe Don Baker posted:

I had a lovebird that would masturbate on the window curtains and he once did it to an old lady's head of hair.

My female cockatiel does the former. Right above my desktop computer :gonk:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

uglynoodles posted:

Ugh, tell me about it. Iro masturbates once or twice a day, and stares at me intently whilst doing it if I'm in the room. She does this horrible thing where she straddles the wooden block on a hanging rope toy so the other half of it drapes across her back, and then it's all flicking wings, horrid squeals that go on seemingly forever, increasing in volume, and the staring. Oh god, the staring.

Iro, I know a girl's got needs and poo poo, but do that when I'm not around, please. :(

Ugh. I do the best I can to keep her light levels regulated, but... Well.

'Tori used to do it all day, every day, with his Happy Hut when it was left in during the day. Now he only gets it at night and sometimes, after he's covered up, you hear those telltale little mumbles and squeaks, and bashing of toys...

Now during the day he doesn't do it as he's not discovered anything else to do it with, but he spends a lot of time following Steve around and regurgitating. He then tries to force feed it to him and climb his back. He doesn't really do it for humans unless Steve isn't available, which is nice. I guess even though he was hand raised, living outside in an aviary with other birds has made it so he's more into birds than people. Or the noble 'tiel is just that handsome.

Said noble 'tiel is sweet and pure and probably has no idea what masturbating even is. I've never seen him do more than flirt every now and then with Ohtori. No idea if that's usual for male cockatiels or not.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Did the old lady realise what was happening?

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I've never seen any of my birds masturbating so I'm just going to assume they are pure little angels. Once Nugget got hormonal and was clucking at me and kept sticking her butt up at me but we put a stop to that very quickly.

Last night one of the nightlights in the bird room burnt out. Nugget had a night fright even though the other one was still on. Luckily I heard her flailing and got up to calm her down before she hurt herself. Seems odd that the only slightly-darker room would freak her out, but we also had a pretty rough storm last night so the combination probably set it off.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Yeah Sunny will rub his vent on my hand sometimes and ugh. :gonk: I've never really seen male cockatiels masturbate, though female ones seem to do it all the time.

By the way tell me if you don't want me to post any of the bird outing pictures anymore if they're too boring. :ohdear:

EDIT: oh my god I will never get tired of pictures of Ohtori, he's just the most adorable and weirdly colored bird ever. :3: Sunny will do the light biting thing when he's upside down throwing a tantrum too, he doesn't break skin unless his cheeks are really fluffy and his tail is open.

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 31, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My cockatoo is massively in love with my mom. She can't handle him for more than 5 minutes before he starts courting her, which hilariously involves smacking her as hard as he can with his beak and regurgitating food all over whatever she's wearing. I'm talking leaning back as far as he can go and then a full on, high-speed headbutt straight into her arm--he has literally left bruises from this. He'll proceed to actual sexin' if she doesn't put him down.

All I have to do is make sure not to pet his body basically past his legs. But everything else is a-okay, bird is completely fine being manhandled.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Never not post bird pictures. My current living situation doesn't allow for them, so I need to live vicariously through you all :ohdear:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Battle Pigeon posted:

Did the old lady realise what was happening?

She made comments like "Oh he really likes me. He's so tame and sweet." It was pretty hilarious once we all , with the exception of the old person, realized what he was doing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Joe Don Baker posted:

That guy would hump everything, and it also is what likely lead to his untimely death.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Official Bizness posted:

I'm on oxycodin after falling down the stairs and breaking my everything, so I don't trust myself with letting my birds out to snuggle. I'm worried Zoe will wiggle under the bed and refuse to come out and I'll hurt myself worse trying to reach her. Everyone keeps making sad little warking noises behind me. :saddowns:

I've been thinking a lot lately about getting a tattoo that would represent the love I have for my flock of idiots. Anyone have their own bird-based tattoos or ideas?

If the bad tattoo thread has taught me anything, it's that tattoos of birds end up looking pretty dumb.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ohtori will bitch and squeak and yell and roll on to his back kicking his legs in rage, or climb over you to chew on your neck and ears, or clamp down hard, but he never breaks the skin. If he's hurting, an EEEP will make him stop and let go, then readjust to a more gentle pressure. Even in the middle of a tantrum, surprisingly.

Oh my god, I need to see a video of Ohtori rolling over to kick his little birdy feet in tiny birdy rage. :kimchi:

edit omg double post I DONT EVEN CARE

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Joe Don Baker posted:

She made comments like "Oh he really likes me. He's so tame and sweet." It was pretty hilarious once we all , with the exception of the old person, realized what he was doing.

Yeah, the first time my conure Sunny did that my mom was all "Oh he's so cute, look at how fluffy he is and he's making adorable sounds!" and then a old guy and I told her what he was actually doing.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Pile of Kittens posted:

Oh my god, I need to see a video of Ohtori rolling over to kick his little birdy feet in tiny birdy rage. :kimchi:

edit omg double post I DONT EVEN CARE

Seconding this. I want to see something akin to a toddler having a tantrum in conure form.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'd have to work out how to catch him doing it on camera, first. Or find something that's guaranteed to provoke him into a rage so I can do it then film him.

He used to have a foot toy that would make him act in a sort of similar way, posted a video of that once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epHKmH52ghA

Pile of Kittens posted:

If the bad tattoo thread has taught me anything, it's that tattoos of birds end up looking pretty dumb.

That thread has taught me that every idea I ever had, and am likely to have, would probably end up looking pretty dumb. Though it did introduce me to the concept of tattoos that look like watercolour and ink paintings(there was one tattooist especially who was amazing at such, though I can't remember the name), and now I wonder what a phoenix or crow or whatever in that style would look like... :ohdear:

Also I just ended up googling "parrot tattoo" because of your post and wasting a good amount of time looking at the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

so a two month old bird is just like a child...? I just had to get tiny bird up because it kept crying and crying and crying to the point where Finn and Marci were screaming at it to shut up. Then I carried it out here and held it in my hand and rocked it while shushing it and now it's sleeping in my lap wut. I laid and hatched an egg I guess...??????

In other news... has anyone ever had an older dog and then gotten a puppy? Or cat with a kitten but to a lesser extent? You know that hyper defeated look they have while the puppy is crawling all over them and biting their ears and yapping at them? That's the look Finn keeps giving this bird. It is constantly flapping and warking and shoving him out of the way and when he realized he can't bite her he started giving me that look. That look of "Gee thanks mom I'm so thrilled you got this new loud annoying thing. Sorry Finn :[