Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

ahmeni posted:

how do the libavcodec developers not go insane trying to reverse engineer everything for free

they are fueled by rms-like rage against the machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i dont know crap about anything AV related because gently caress giving a poo poo about that, but when i play something on an imac running vlc through hdmi to a projector, the screen is often really dark

its not dark when watching something off a dvd or bluray or whatever

so what settings should i mess around with to make it less dark

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
brightness

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Carthag posted:

i dont know crap about anything AV related because gently caress giving a poo poo about that, but when i play something on an imac running vlc through hdmi to a projector, the screen is often really dark

its not dark when watching something off a dvd or bluray or whatever

so what settings should i mess around with to make it less dark

don't use vlc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well i already messed with brightness so i guess ill give mplayerx a try next time

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

does vlc still have a ui that looks like bad windows 95 software?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Sweevo posted:

does vlc still have a ui that looks like bad windows 95 software?

no, they invented a new way to have a horrible ui, whoever was in charge, if anyone, probably just said hmm needs more cones

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ahmeni posted:

how do the libavcodec developers not go insane trying to reverse engineer everything for free

autism

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i made a screen recording for a class, captured it with a lossless codec. i then encoded it in h.246 dragging the quality slider all the way to "0 (high quality)", and the about two-and-a-half minute 720p video was barely over 2 megabytes and the image quality is prtty much flawless. (it was mostly a static image, but still)

i guess what i'm trying to say is that my video codec was not a piece of poo poo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is it possible to force the encoder to only have 1 I frame?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Probablly not as hardware players need to have an i-frame every so often.

also the standard says that a GOP can only be so long.

i'm sure you could hack x264 to encode something like that but every scene change would look bad.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wheany posted:

i made a screen recording for a class, captured it with a lossless codec. i then encoded it in h.246 dragging the quality slider all the way to "0 (high quality)", and the about two-and-a-half minute 720p video was barely over 2 megabytes and the image quality is prtty much flawless. (it was mostly a static image, but still)

i guess what i'm trying to say is that my video codec was not a piece of poo poo.

you used a flying boat to encode your video? woa how did you do that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lior%C3%A9_et_Olivier_H-246

also it cant be flawless unless its a hi4:4:4 encode because lol 4:2:0

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

Probablly not as hardware players need to have an i-frame every so often.

also the standard says that a GOP can only be so long.

i'm sure you could hack x264 to encode something like that but every scene change would look bad.

GOP as in the republicans? Wow.. Weird anyway that's hosed up I mean it should just decode what is encoded

Are there any apps/toys that can be used for messing around with the encoding? Like giving wrong I frames or other fuckery?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

GOP as in the republicans? Wow.. Weird anyway that's hosed up I mean it should just decode what is encoded

Are there any apps/toys that can be used for messing around with the encoding? Like giving wrong I frames or other fuckery?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_pictures

nothing to do any type of editing at the frame level. Most tools just edit headers.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so i guess its scrub as but im using handbrake

what cool advanced features can i use to make my encode cooler... i dont care about encoding time but i want cool small files or something
i want to experiment but nothing makes any sense

like a 7 year old playing doctor with the teenagers next door - i am willing but naive

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also can we have a fight about constant quality vs 2 pass encoding

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
2 pass is alive

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

yes, it looked like the right-side picture, which is "pretty much flawless"

lol if you think that a web video about clicking some buttons has to have 4:4:4 video

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

ahmeni posted:

2 pass is alive

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

so i guess its scrub as but im using handbrake

what cool advanced features can i use to make my encode cooler... i dont care about encoding time but i want cool small files or something
i want to experiment but nothing makes any sense

like a 7 year old playing doctor with the teenagers next door - i am willing but naive

There is x264 placebo mode for all night encoding.

If you were to pre-process the video and paletize it down (anime) you could get really small file sizes that way too. It's like how gif reduces colors. Dithering wouldn't help much but solid blocks of colors compress easier.

Scrubbing the U and V channels of noise gets you a better picture with less bits. Some denoisers let you select individual channels in the components (not RGB since all h264 is YUV 4:x:x)

You could probablly take the first pass of a completely different file that is the same length, and feed it in the second pass of the encode of a different file and watch the bitrate fluctuate in places it shouldn't

crf is great when you're making a file for local playback to save space. 2-pass is good for fitting into a specific size, or staying your peak under a certain bitrate while maintining that specific file size.

when they say "18 or lower is stupid don't go there" they are WRONG. Try feeding it a clean source you shot with a heavy film grain on top. 12 is probably visually lossless in that situation

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

Carthag posted:

i dont know crap about anything

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

here u go, my screencast.sh
code:
#!/bin/sh

# REQUIRED TOOLS (avconv and xwininfo, respectively):
#  apt-get install libav-tools x11-utils
# OPTIONAL EXTRAS:
#  apt-get install key-mon disper

NUMCORES="$(cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l)"
RESOLUTION="$(xwininfo -root | grep geometry | awk '{split($2,a,"+"); print a[1]}')"
SCREEN=":0.0"
OUTFILE="screencast-$(date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S)"

# example overrides -- secondary screen (1600x1200) to the right of the main screen (1680x1050)
RESOLUTION="1600x1200"
SCREEN=":0.0+1680,0"

echo "Tips:"
echo " Display keypresses with 'key-mon'"
echo " Configure secondary displays with 'disper'"
echo ""
echo "Resolution: ${RESOLUTION}  Output: ${OUTFILE}  Cores: ${NUMCORES}"
echo "Check your microphone levels..."
echo "Ready??? (Ctrl+C to abort, anything else to start)"
read IGNORE

#video in: x11grab with provided resolution and screen
#audio in: pulseaudio with 1 channel
#video out: vp8: gop size 120, level? 216, profile? 0, max quality 42, min quality 10
#audio out: vorbis with audio quality of 3 (alias for -q:a)
avconv -threads ${NUMCORES} \
-f x11grab -s ${RESOLUTION} -i ${SCREEN} \
-f alsa -ac 1 -i pulse \
-vcodec libvpx -g 120 -level 216 -profile 0 -qmax 42 -qmin 10 -rc_buf_aggressivity 0.95 -vb 2M \
-acodec libvorbis -aq 3 \
${OUTFILE}.webm
~70MB for my 1h20m presentation at work, and not too much cpu overhead while encoding either

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL at u for using linux

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its true

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Watching the super bowl OTA

dem macro blocks

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

Watching the super bowl OTA

dem macro blocks

10 mbps MPEG-2 hd is bad? the devil you say

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

10 mbps MPEG-2 hd is bad? the devil you say

no deblocking in mpeg-2 :(

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

what video player does this thread recommend for the Windows Operating System, since VLC is obviously not up to par

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Media player classic home cinema.

Built in decoders for stuff windows doesn't have (mpeg2) keyboard controls, hardware accelerated playback, minimal UI, color management if you profile your display.

Also takes less than 3 seconds to open.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
ugh Resolve is hardddddd

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

Media player classic home cinema.

Built in decoders for stuff windows doesn't have (mpeg2) keyboard controls, hardware accelerated playback, minimal UI, color management if you profile your display.

Also takes less than 3 seconds to open.

Um. Windows has all the codecs u need (including mpeg2) built in.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jimmy Carter posted:

ugh Resolve is hardddddd

If they would just shed the whole database thing it wouldn't be so hard, but it's sill better than Speedgrade because of curves, and nodes.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

Um. Windows has all the codecs u need (including mpeg2) built in.

woah, they put the mpeg-2 decoder in windows 7

didn't know

WMP still takes 10 seconds to open up, and there are no keyboard controls so its a bad player for playing videos.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

just download the matroska filter if you want to play pirated mkvs, or download media player classic-hc if you care about the thing looking right on your calibrated display.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
how do I calibrate my display

in windows

I thought that was just a mac thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

woah, they put the mpeg-2 decoder in windows 7

didn't know

WMP still takes 10 seconds to open up, and there are no keyboard controls so its a bad player for playing videos.

no it doesn't. it opens instantly. also it has all the keyboard controls a normal human would need

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

no it doesn't. it opens instantly. also it has all the keyboard controls a normal human would need

cant pause on my model m.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
get a real keyboard. or just do control+p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Silver Alicorn posted:

how do I calibrate my display

in windows

I thought that was just a mac thing

You buy a hardware coloremeter that is appropriate for your display, attach it to the monitor, and run the software.

You can get more complicated than that but being within ^E of 2% is good enough. Any more than that is really throwing money down the drain.

Unfortunately software has to be "color managed" or else it displays the poo poo straight. This is okay if you have a display that is native sRGB, as everything assumes sRGB

• Locked thread