Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Athanatos posted:

Maybe?

I'm more thinking the Sandman, or magic bag of sand somehow takes the kids to a fantasy world, or other alternate place.

:smith: It's a long gone and hazy memory

Could it be a sand-fairy? E. Nesbit's Five Children and It has the Psammead, who lives in a sand quarry, and grants wishes. In the sequel The Story of the Amulet they time-travel to various places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

Hedrigall posted:

A book of weird short stories. I think they were illustrated. Wasn't Roald Dahl or Paul Jennings. Some of them I remember include:
a) A story about three princes who want to get a wish granted, and to do so they need to climb to the top of a huge tower. One tries to take the elevator and dies, the next starts using the stairs but is mean to a woman he meets cleaning the stairs and never progresses, the third helps the cleaning woman and reaches the top in no time.
b) A really poor kid finds a button/badge that says "Kick Me" and thinking it's stupid, kicks it over a fence. He then goes home to discover his family has become really rich and live in a nice house. But they end up more miserable than when they were poor.

Coming back to this from page 55: This is The Magician who Kept a Pub, by Dorothy Edwards, who wrote the Naughty Little Sister stories. I was going through a box of old books in the attic this weekend and found it!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

This is a really long shot but I figure it's worth a try.

Fantasy novel. Read it sometime between 2000 and 2005, but it may have been published earlier. It was the first book in a series, and the subsequent books hadn't (I think) been released yet. The book had "fire" and "ice" in the title (not necessarily in that order); it wasn't any of the Song of Ice and Fire books, though.

I remember nothing else about it except that I liked it and would like to see if the series was ever finished.

Searching various places (amazon, isbndb, etc) for books with 'fire' + 'ice' in the title published before 2005 has been a bust, although apparently a lot of people have written books called "Fire & Ice" (and when they're part of a series they always seem to be book 2 for some reason).

I realize this is incredibly vague, I'm hoping someone else has read the same series and remembers the title of the first book.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

ToxicFrog posted:

Fantasy novel. Read it sometime between 2000 and 2005, but it may have been published earlier. It was the first book in a series, and the subsequent books hadn't (I think) been released yet. The book had "fire" and "ice" in the title (not necessarily in that order); it wasn't any of the Song of Ice and Fire books, though.

I remember nothing else about it except that I liked it and would like to see if the series was ever finished.

Searching various places (amazon, isbndb, etc) for books with 'fire' + 'ice' in the title published before 2005 has been a bust, although apparently a lot of people have written books called "Fire & Ice" (and when they're part of a series they always seem to be book 2 for some reason).

I realize this is incredibly vague, I'm hoping someone else has read the same series and remembers the title of the first book.

This maybe?

What about this one?

Can you tell me anything else about it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

It doesn't have both words in the title, but just in case you may want to consider the book A Cavern of Black Ice, published in 1999 and the first installment of a fantasy trilogy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Shonagon posted:

Coming back to this from page 55: This is The Magician who Kept a Pub, by Dorothy Edwards, who wrote the Naughty Little Sister stories. I was going through a box of old books in the attic this weekend and found it!

Holy poo poo! I never thought anyone'd know this. Thankyou!!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zola posted:

This maybe?

What about this one?

Can you tell me anything else about it?

mystes posted:

It doesn't have both words in the title, but just in case you may want to consider the book A Cavern of Black Ice, published in 1999 and the first installment of a fantasy trilogy.

In responding to these and looking up covers for Black Ice to see if it looked familiar, I remembered parts of the cover, and that was enough for me to remember the title, and it has nothing to do with fire or ice. I'm sorry. :suicide:

The book, for those wondering, is The Lord of Snow and Shadows by Sarah Ash, the first book of the Tears of Artamon trilogy.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 28, 2013

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...
Memory can be a tricky thing, the important thing is that you found it.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

ToxicFrog posted:

In responding to these and looking up covers for Black Ice to see if it looked familiar, I remembered parts of the cover, and that was enough for me to remember the title, and it has nothing to do with fire or ice. I'm sorry. :suicide:

Memory is weird. That book of Hedrigall's that I tracked down a couple of posts above, I remembered it really well, couldn't place the title but I totally knew the cover was dark blue/black with brightly coloured firework effects on the front. Would have recognised it anywhere, would have put money on my accurate recollection of it, can still visualise it now.

When I pulled the book - my own old copy, the only one I have ever seen - out of the box, I got this:

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

I have been trying to remember the name of a book for quite some time. Read it in highschool so my knowledge might be a bit sketchy.

From what i can remember, the cover had a picture of a man sitting on a rock ledge, holding a rather large rifle and next to him was a spherical robot.

Basic premise of the story: Famous hunters pay well to go to an Earth-like world to hunt the greatest prey known, a sort of either large cat or dog like species.

So, jump ahead a bit, the hunter discovers that the animal is actually a sentient creature. He discovers some ruins of stone structures that were pretty much lasered from low-orbit to try and hide their existence so that the company could own the planet. Corporation tries to kill hunter to continue to hide the fact they are selling hunts on sentient life and destroyed the beginnings of a civilization.

Sadly, this is all i can remember.

This sounds to me like Bloodsport by William R Burkett Jr. I honestly remembered this more from the picture.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I'm trying to remember two stories I read, I believe both were in those "Year's Best Scifi" collection books that come out in the early 2000s. The first was about a couple of guys who find a lost Beatles album, with an all-black cover, recorded in an alternate universe timeline where they didn't break up in 1970 (and the big reveal was they lived in the rusted out hulk of the Titanic or something like that). The second is about a boy who listens to nothing but Abba tapes on a walkman over and over again and is also some kind of plant expert.

DrewkroDleman
May 17, 2008

SHAME.
Every so often I think about this great story I read when I ready like 15 years ago when I was in 7th grade about the email exchanges between an A.I. program on some guys old computer and his creator. After awhile the program asks for more memory and after which gets way smarter and ultimately escapes the guy's garage computer when he hooks him up to a telephone or something. It fast forwards some months without any contact between the two and the program emails the guy again out of the blue saying he has evolved beyond the creator's wildest dreams and is about to take over a nuclear facility or something and it ends with the email saying good bye.

I want to read that story again. HELP ME GOONS!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

^^^ reminds me of one I'd like to re-read.

It's a short story about how all of the New Age Sci-Fi writers stories are actually written/edited by their sentient word processors. I think it was written by Zelazny or maybe Ellison. I'm sure those two are mentioned. Something about how Zelazny is writing yet another story about a demi-god immortal.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I'm trying to remember two stories I read, I believe both were in those "Year's Best Scifi" collection books that come out in the early 2000s. The first was about a couple of guys who find a lost Beatles album, with an all-black cover, recorded in an alternate universe timeline where they didn't break up in 1970 (and the big reveal was they lived in the rusted out hulk of the Titanic or something like that). The second is about a boy who listens to nothing but Abba tapes on a walkman over and over again and is also some kind of plant expert.

The first is, I'm pretty sure, Stephen Baxter's "The Twelfth Album". I read it in Interzone, but it looks like it was in Year's Best SF 4, so the contents might clue you in to the second story.

Edit:

DrewkroDleman posted:

Every so often I think about this great story I read when I ready like 15 years ago when I was in 7th grade about the email exchanges between an A.I. program on some guys old computer and his creator. After awhile the program asks for more memory and after which gets way smarter and ultimately escapes the guy's garage computer when he hooks him up to a telephone or something. It fast forwards some months without any contact between the two and the program emails the guy again out of the blue saying he has evolved beyond the creator's wildest dreams and is about to take over a nuclear facility or something and it ends with the email saying good bye.

Seems similar to David Gerrold's When H.A.R.L.I.E. Was One.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 30, 2013

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Hobnob posted:

The first is, I'm pretty sure, Stephen Baxter's "The Twelfth Album". I read it in Interzone, but it looks like it was in Year's Best SF 4, so the contents might clue you in to the second story.

That's the one, thanks! The second story wasn't from the same book, I just remember it was one of those yearly scifi anthology books.

DrewkroDleman
May 17, 2008

SHAME.

Hobnob posted:

Edit:

Seems similar to David Gerrold's When H.A.R.L.I.E. Was One.

I discovered that one in my search but I do not believe it is the write one.

The format of the story I am looking for consists entirely of the emails exchanged between the A.I. and the creator.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I remember a short story from a sci-fi anthology (that seems to be a theme in this thread). It was written in the first person, with the main character fleeing through space from a group he called the Usurpers, until he finds a world that seems totally untouched by them. He hides there and realises this is the place he first met them, and shared his knowledge. He hides but they find him and run him to ground, declaring that the world is a sacred place and he may not be there. Resigned to his fate he asks, in a pitiful fashion, "But why? I am God!". The Usurper replies "Yes. But I am Man. Now come". End of story. Any ideas?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sanford posted:

I remember a short story from a sci-fi anthology (that seems to be a theme in this thread). It was written in the first person, with the main character fleeing through space from a group he called the Usurpers, until he finds a world that seems totally untouched by them. He hides there and realises this is the place he first met them, and shared his knowledge. He hides but they find him and run him to ground, declaring that the world is a sacred place and he may not be there. Resigned to his fate he asks, in a pitiful fashion, "But why? I am God!". The Usurper replies "Yes. But I am Man. Now come". End of story. Any ideas?
"Evensong" by Lester del Rey.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

A Pinball Wizard posted:

That's the one, thanks! The second story wasn't from the same book, I just remember it was one of those yearly scifi anthology books.

Looks like it may be "The Thing About Benny" by M. Shayne Bell, collected in Year's Best SF 6.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Action Jacktion posted:

"Evensong" by Lester del Rey.

Brilliant, thank you. I just found an online version, and the story is about one hundredth the length I had remembered. Poor God :(

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
So I've read this sci-fi book as a kid, and the only thing that I remember was that it involved aliens who procreated much like Xenomorphs, except instead of giving you a faceful of alien wang, they were all about butts. What the hell was that? It was published, not some internet fanfiction.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Forgall posted:

So I've read this sci-fi book as a kid, and the only thing that I remember was that it involved aliens who procreated much like Xenomorphs, except instead of giving you a faceful of alien wang, they were all about butts. What the hell was that? It was published, not some internet fanfiction.
Wasn't Stephen King's Dreamcatcher, was it? That has alien arsebursters.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Runcible Cat posted:

Wasn't Stephen King's Dreamcatcher, was it? That has alien arsebursters.

No, it was some kind of far future military type sci-fi, as far as I remember. Also I'm pretty sure author's last name started with "R". I thought it could be John Ringo, but nothing like that comes up in wikipedia summaries of his books.

Forgall fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 1, 2013

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Hobnob posted:

Looks like it may be "The Thing About Benny" by M. Shayne Bell, collected in Year's Best SF 6.

That's the one! Thanks! Glad I'm not the only one who loved those books.

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 2, 2013

modernwinglish
Dec 28, 2012

I'll squawk the world and molt with you
This is probably entirely too vague, but I've searched everywhere and figured this might be the place to ask. When I was in seventh grade, a friend loaned me a book. The cover was gray and the story had to do with dragons. Much of the book was illustrated (black and white) although it was still broken down into chapters and the majority of it was text. It was probably 300-ish pages. Judging from the look of the cover, my guess it was probably published sometime in the late 70s-80s. My friend and I both talk about enjoying the book, even though our recollections of the plot are vague. I really want to track it down and reread it. I understand that this description is a lot like the nebulous requests I'd receive all the time when I worked for a bookstore--"There's a book about a guy and the cover is blue. It's either fiction or self help. Find it."

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

modernwinglish posted:

This is probably entirely too vague, but I've searched everywhere and figured this might be the place to ask. When I was in seventh grade, a friend loaned me a book. The cover was gray and the story had to do with dragons. Much of the book was illustrated (black and white) although it was still broken down into chapters and the majority of it was text. It was probably 300-ish pages. Judging from the look of the cover, my guess it was probably published sometime in the late 70s-80s. My friend and I both talk about enjoying the book, even though our recollections of the plot are vague. I really want to track it down and reread it. I understand that this description is a lot like the nebulous requests I'd receive all the time when I worked for a bookstore--"There's a book about a guy and the cover is blue. It's either fiction or self help. Find it."

http://www.amazon.com/Dragonworld-Byron-Preiss/dp/0671039075 ?

modernwinglish
Dec 28, 2012

I'll squawk the world and molt with you

That's it! Thanks!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Aright, so there's a book about a second-generation Chinese-Canadian who goes back to China during the 70s and 80s to learn Chinese. It's something of an autobiography. I could've sworn it was called something like Red White and Blue all over but nothing's coming up. Anyone have any ideas?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Benagain posted:

Aright, so there's a book about a second-generation Chinese-Canadian who goes back to China during the 70s and 80s to learn Chinese. It's something of an autobiography. I could've sworn it was called something like Red White and Blue all over but nothing's coming up. Anyone have any ideas?

Is it "Red China Blues" by Jan Wong?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I remember reading a Fantasy series (from the 80ies-90ies), with some sort of wizard dude who ends up getting his arm turned to stone and has to cut it off before the poison(?) reaches the rest of his body.
Another character is tricked(?) into wrapping himself in some sort of evil invisibility cloak to escape imprisonment.

The 4 riders of the apocalypse may have been involved.

I thought it might have been Eddings, but possibly some other author. It wasn't anything spectacular and I've forgotten most of the rest.

Any ideas?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
No idea what it is, but it really doesn't sound like Eddings. I tend to reread his stuff about once a year and nothing really sounds familiar with that.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, figured it might not be Eddings, but I finally found it!

The Druid of Shannara

Walker Boh was the wizard dude I was thinking of.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Okay, this one's been bugging me all day.

About a year or two ago I read the opening chapter of a book, thought it sounded interesting, mentally filed it away and then promptly forgot. Until today, for some reason.

Science-fiction novel. No idea if it was contemporary or a classic. Opening chapter features a family of four (two parents, two kids--brother and sister) landing on a planet in some shuttle craft. They start setting up equipment for some reason, only to get attacked by a bunch of creatures (wolf- or spider-like?) who torch the landing site with flame throwers, incinerating the family in the process. (Edit: One of the children might have been captured alive and enslaved with some mind-control tech, but maybe I'm mixing that up with something else.)

For some reason I keep associating this with Little Fuzzy, but that can't be right. Maybe something else connected to Scalzi? I've no idea. I'm pretty sure the book's considered a sci-fi staple, so hopefully someone can ID it pretty quickly.

Retroblique fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 4, 2013

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sonance posted:

Okay, this one's been bugging me all day.

About a year or two ago I read the opening chapter of a book, thought it sounded interesting, mentally filed it away and then promptly forgot. Until today, for some reason.

Science-fiction novel. No idea if it was contemporary or a classic. Opening chapter features a family of four (two parents, two kids--brother and sister) landing on a planet in some shuttle craft. They start setting up equipment for some reason, only to get attacked by a bunch of creatures (wolf- or spider-like?) who torch the landing site with flame throwers, incinerating the family in the process. (Edit: One of the children might have been captured alive and enslaved with some mind-control tech, but maybe I'm mixing that up with something else.)

For some reason I keep associating this with Little Fuzzy, but that can't be right. Maybe something else connected to Scalzi? I've no idea. I'm pretty sure the book's considered a sci-fi staple, so hopefully someone can ID it pretty quickly.
Vernor Vinge's A Fire upon the Deep, perhaps?

vvv Yay! vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 5, 2013

Traintruction
May 14, 2004

This is a long shot, but I'll go ahead and give it a try.

About 7 or 8 years ago I read a short story that's stuck with me. It was about a kid (high school maybe?) who befriends a new kid, who's kind of a misfit. Our Hero visits his buddy at home, where he meets the guy's sister. The thing is, she's supposedly sick and she can't leave her room. The room is completely dark, too, so they just talk. At first, the protagonist isn't sure if the girl is actually even real (it could just be his friend making a dumb girl voice). This goes on for a while, and then the main character gets fed up and opens the blinds.

Spooky stuff ensues.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's been driving me insane.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Runcible Cat posted:

Vernor Vinge's A Fire upon the Deep, perhaps?
Yes, that's the one! Thanks.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Looking for a book about a group of friends trying to create the world's greatest videogame. The cover looks like it was designed by the Sword & Sworcery guys.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

navyjack posted:

Is it "Red China Blues" by Jan Wong?

Yes! Thanks.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...
Two for detective-type goons.

Both of them were anthologies, but I don't think they were in the same anthology, that would be too convenient.

The first had a cleverly-done story about a virgin boy who liked to dress as a girl who was brought into a coven of Satan-worshipers as a sexual offering to their dark master. I do NOT want to spoil the story by giving additional details that give the fabulous plot twist away, but can if I must, including giving you the last line of the story.

The other one was told from the point of view of a dog who had his intelligence enhanced. I don't think it's the Zelanzy one. I most vividly remember one line where the dog is thinking about his purpose being to make his human happy, and he wonders "where is my happy if he is unhappy?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm not sure if this was in a horror anthology or if I read it online.

A night watchman at a college discovers a sub-basement with old long abandoned classrooms filled with old desks. As he explores he gradually finds more and more levels until he walks down an enormous utility stairwell leading deep underground where he finally comes to an extremely large dark room, where he finds some demonic doors and fights a were-tiger of some sort. I stayed up all night thinking about this story and would appreciate any help finding it again.