Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

pokeyman posted:

Can you check which version of Awful (in the Settings tab) and iOS (Settings app, General, About) you're using for me? I haven't seen that happen before.

Are there, perchance, any ignored users' posts on that first page you're trying to load?

Using Awful 1.10.

I've tried several different threads...if I use the "first" button or if I scroll to page 1, the app crashes.

I doubt there is an ignored user on the first page of every thread...but I'll dig deeper if I need to.

I tried logging out and logging back in...same problem.

I'll try updating to iOS 6.1 and restarting...maybe that's all my phone needs. I'll report back.

EDIT:

Updated to iOS 6.1...same problem.

On shorter threads (like this one) I can jump to page 2, then press the back arrow to go to page 1, but I cannot go to page 1 directly.

On longer threads (like the jail breaking thread), I can't even do that. If I try to jump back, the app crashes.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ozmodiar posted:

Using Awful 1.10.

I've tried several different threads...if I use the "first" button or if I scroll to page 1, the app crashes.

I doubt there is an ignored user on the first page of every thread...but I'll dig deeper if I need to.

I tried logging out and logging back in...same problem.

I'll try updating to iOS 6.1 and restarting...maybe that's all my phone needs. I'll report back.

EDIT:

Updated to iOS 6.1...same problem.

On shorter threads (like this one) I can jump to page 2, then press the back arrow to go to page 1, but I cannot go to page 1 directly.

On longer threads (like the jail breaking thread), I can't even do that. If I try to jump back, the app crashes.

Can you grab this System Console app, get Awful to crash, then open System Console and copy the most recent messages from Awful? Then if you could email them to me at pokeyman@nolanw.ca or send me a PM that would be awesome. If this is more work than you're willing to undertake that's perfectly fine.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

pokeyman posted:

Can you check which version of Awful (in the Settings tab) and iOS (Settings app, General, About) you're using for me? I haven't seen that happen before.

Are there, perchance, any ignored users' posts on that first page you're trying to load?

I have a bookmarked thread where there are a couple new posts. I can see the thread was killed by someone on my ignore list. When I tap on the thread the app crashes.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

This is a good update, but I am having a problem with the new addition to the keyboard with my 4S.

I'm not able to go down in this post to click the x to prevent the autocorrect.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Love the update so far!

Just a little feedback - I updated the app using my phone on WiFi and could not get the app to start afterwards. It would show the title bar region at top, the main section empty, and the toolbar at the bottom (without icons), then crash back to the home screen. I tried resetting my phone but got the same result. Turns out deleting and reinstalling the app fixed this. Thought I'd post in case anyone else runs into this.

I'm running iOS 6.01 on an iPhone 3GS.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

pokeyman posted:

Can you grab this System Console app, get Awful to crash, then open System Console and copy the most recent messages from Awful? Then if you could email them to me at pokeyman@nolanw.ca or send me a PM that would be awesome. If this is more work than you're willing to undertake that's perfectly fine.

Sent!

Let me know how else I can help.

Thanks!

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Great update as always! Also, the non-retina icon on the iPad looks better!

pokeyman, how are you guys handling development? Is it just you and some core contributors, or is it possible for others to contribute as well?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

unpurposed posted:

Great update as always! Also, the non-retina icon on the iPad looks better!

Yeah I was tearing my hair out (figuratively, I have a buzzed head) trying to figure out the white line on that non-retina icon, then noticed the app exporting template I was using had their own "shine" layer outside of my art object that it felt was necessary.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

unpurposed posted:

pokeyman, how are you guys handling development? Is it just you and some core contributors, or is it possible for others to contribute as well?

The OP has the list of contributors to date, and I'm always happy to get more people involved! We coordinate development through GitHub. Let me know if you need anything more to get started!

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

I have a bookmarked thread here in which I appear to have an infinite number of unread posts:

I clicked it, and it just took me to the OP. It may be a forums issue rather than an app issue, since I logged in on the computer and it's marking everything after the first page as unread now, but I saw it on the app first so I figured I'd let you know. Also, if the forum had just marked the whole thread as unread, it seems like the app just wouldn't have displayed anything there?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I have a bookmarked thread here in which I appear to have an infinite number of unread posts:

I clicked it, and it just took me to the OP. It may be a forums issue rather than an app issue, since I logged in on the computer and it's marking everything after the first page as unread now, but I saw it on the app first so I figured I'd let you know. Also, if the forum had just marked the whole thread as unread, it seems like the app just wouldn't have displayed anything there?

I believe that that's how the app handles a bookmarked thread that is completely unread. It's not a perfect solution, but it's done that way since the unread badge is used to show bookmark colors.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What does it mean if the unread post number is red?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Christoff posted:

I think that means you've set the bookmark color to red

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Christoff posted:

It means that you've given the thread the red bookmark color on the forums.

The colors don't totally match up between the forums and the app since the new stylesheet was added though. Blue was changed to orange on the forums, but is still blue in the app.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
It should never change from blue in the app, either. Orange bookmarks were a bad decision.

All if my general bookmarks were blue and most-read threads were red, but now the lack of contrast means I'm likely to miss when a red thread is updated :(

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

It should never change from blue in the app, either. Orange bookmarks were a bad decision.

I wouldn't mind keeping it blue either

awesomekittens
Jan 26, 2007
oh my god dinosaur

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

All if my general bookmarks were blue and most-read threads were red, but now the lack of contrast means I'm likely to miss when a red thread is updated :(

Same here. My solution is to change all the orange (formerly blue) "general bookmarks" to yellow. The contrast is great enough for them to stand out.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Diabolik900 posted:

I believe that that's how the app handles a bookmarked thread that is completely unread. It's not a perfect solution, but it's done that way since the unread badge is used to show bookmark colors.

Ah, okay. The forums must have just marked it unread for whatever reason. Thank you!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Swipe to unbookmark or unread is a cool feature i just found out

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

If you want bookmark colors to stand out better, there is a Stylish stylesheet you should check.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Yo, whoever added the Open In Atomic option is rad as gently caress. Ever since upgrading to 6 and losing jailbreak I've been pulling my hair out with Safari being the default browser again. Yuck.

Thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I knew adding as many external browsers as I could find wasn't a complete waste of time!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Just got a weird bug in the latest test where I wrote a reply and it posted when I checked on my computer but when I next checked the app it was still on the reply page with a connection error indicating it hadn't gone through.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Are mods avatars not visible for anyone else? Here's Ozma for example and I know for a fact (and her profile) she has one.

Also the app crashed once when I tried to post this. Probably due to the two images.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I browse with avatars off but I think the star image replaces avatar images for the app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Are mods avatars not visible for anyone else? Here's Ozma for example and I know for a fact (and her profile) she has one.

Also the app crashed once when I tried to post this. Probably due to the two images.

Good catch. Other mods and admins' avatars seem to be showing up fine. I think it's because Ozma's avatar has a link around it. I didn't even realize you could do this. Is it a mod/admin only thing?

jojoinnit posted:

I browse with avatars off but I think the star image replaces avatar images for the app.

Nope, the star and the avatar both should show up.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

Good catch. Other mods and admins' avatars seem to be showing up fine. I think it's because Ozma's avatar has a link around it. I didn't even realize you could do this. Is it a mod/admin only thing?

Nope, the star and the avatar both should show up.

That'll teach me to speculate on an issue I don't even see. :v:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Diabolik900 posted:

The user-title is one big field of html. The purchase page let's you generate it but admins (and I'd guess mods too) can directly edit the html. T. Finn currently has an avatar linking to youtube.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

Thanks, I have no idea if it's only a mod/admin thing. It doesn't show Shine's either. Not sure if he also has a link around it. Can't check at the moment.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sereri posted:

The user-title is one big field of html. The purchase page let's you generate it but admins (and I'd guess mods too) can directly edit the html. T. Finn currently has an avatar linking to youtube.

And since it's just a hunk of html, we have to guess which image is the avatar. As usual, there are a few corner cases that ruin it for everyone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Great job on the update guys, it's all amazing! :)

One minor bug I've had is that twice now on entering the new paranormal subforum, it's crashed to desktop. No other forum has done this, and I've tried a fair few of them.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any chance of adding bookmark thread to the forum view drop down menu?

Sometimes I browse the forums when I have a spare minute and think "that might be interesting" but I have to load the thread, bookmark it, refresh my bookmarks and then mark it as unread. Just seems like there could be an easier way. There might be a reason for it but I thought I'd just throw my nitpick out there. :shrug:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It's on the list!

The_Doctor posted:

One minor bug I've had is that twice now on entering the new paranormal subforum, it's crashed to desktop. No other forum has done this, and I've tried a fair few of them.

Haven't seen this issue though. It's possible we already fixed it?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

It's on the list!

Haven't seen this issue though. It's possible we already fixed it?

It happened to me once on the latest test build.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Just loaded the forum myself on the latest Test Flight version and it crashed immediately.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Same here, found this in the console
code:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSGenericException', reason: '*** Collection <__NSCFDictionary: 0x2de6a0> was mutated while being enumerated.'
*** First throw call stack:
(0x3591188f 0x33535259 0x359113b3 0xa9905 0x34c9f6c9 0x34d2b531 0x358dd547 0x35869097 0x34c9f3eb 0x34ca0c1b 0xb8fe7 0x33c9ec59 0x33ca9e91 0x358e42ad 0x358674a5 0x3586736d 0x33602439 0x3303fcd5 0x83763 0x7e580)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is the awful code intended to be one of those "download and hit build and it just works" or does it require massaging?

Because I attempted just that with the latest xcode, and I get a pile of errors about retain cycles.

The plan was to poke at the code out of boredom, but objective C is pretty alien to me.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm crashing on the ipad app frequently after the update, I have a 3rd gen.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Feature request: I want to read in portrait mode with my iPod Touch upside down, so my headphone jack doesn't get squashed. Or is there an iOS 6 issue with this? I noticed Bejewelled lost this ability when I upgraded to the latest version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overseerbrian
Jun 25, 2005

Taima posted:

I'm crashing on the ipad app frequently after the update, I have a 3rd gen.

The same goes for me. It seems like it's happening every 3rd thread or so. It starts loading then crashes to desktop.

• Locked thread