Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Looking for single-player games with leaderboards and gameplay challenges (preferably action and/or rpg games) a-la the Dishonored DLC. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Recycle Bin posted:

Of all the big F2P games out there (Planetside, Tribes, etc.) which ones are best for the casual who can only spare a few hours a week to play?

Team Fortress 2, I would say.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Azran posted:

Looking for single-player games with leaderboards and gameplay challenges (preferably action and/or rpg games) a-la the Dishonored DLC. Any ideas?

Boy howdy the new Hitman was made for you personally. Every single level has your score posted and leaderboarded, and the Contracts system allows players to remix every level as they want and the whole thing is score attack.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Azran posted:

Super Meat Boy has par times and leaderboards. The whole thing is a completionist's/perfection's dream/worst nightmare, generally.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, what's a good browser based game that I can spend 15 minutes or so on once or twice a day? Preferably not something that requires the player to monitor or log in at certain times.

I've played Urban dead and Kingdom of Loathing in the past, but don't really want to return to them.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, what's a good browser based game that I can spend 15 minutes or so on once or twice a day? Preferably not something that requires the player to monitor or log in at certain times.

I've played Urban dead and Kingdom of Loathing in the past, but don't really want to return to them.

Fallen London

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm still looking for a decent WW2 game that lets me use mouse controls. Like War Thunder, but single player. Wings of Prey is alright, but the mouse controls are horrible.

Additionally, what else is out there that is like:

Theme Park
Rollercoaster Tycoon Series
Theme Hospital

Are there any other of those management type games that combine the whimsy and playability of the above?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

Theme Park
Theme Hospital

Are there any other of those management type games that combine the whimsy and playability of the above?

Not exactly the same kind of management, but Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius are both pretty good management strategy games with a pretty silly tone.

You might also like Startopia.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

SquadronROE posted:

I'm still looking for a decent WW2 game that lets me use mouse controls. Like War Thunder, but single player. Wings of Prey is alright, but the mouse controls are horrible.

Theme Park
Theme Hospital

Unfortunately, War Thunder is pretty unique in that regard. Hell, Wings of Prey is by the same company and it wasn't until they came up with a free to play, heavily MP oriented version of the game that they thought that yeah, maybe it is a good idea to make your game accessible to the average PC player without turning it into arcade.

Have you played the Tropico series? They're city (island) management games where you play as a Caribbean dictator during Cold War.

If you don't mind more whimsy and less management, check out Evil Genius. You play as an evil mastermind in his or her attempt to dominate the world, and the game itself is more similar to Dungeon Keeper than a Tycoon game. You get to do things like capture agents from several nations around the world, hide body bags in freezers, kidnap scientists, security guards and so on to help you train your minions, make elaborate traps for infiltrating agents/raids, personally execute one of your minions to make the ones watching work better and so on. It is a parody on the Cold War, spy movies and Austin Powers.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I played the demo of Evil Genius way back in the day, and enjoyed it a fair amount. I'll give that a shot. Startopia might also be worthwhile, I hear good things about it left and right.

Has anyone actually played any of the crazy "Tycoon" ones, like Zoo Tycoon and such?

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I'm going to go get some PS3 games this weekend.

I'd like something to scratch my horror itch.

How was Silent Hill Downpour?

Any suggestions for survival horror would be appreciated. I've never played the Fatal Frame games, was there anything in this vein released for PS3?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

schwenz posted:

I'm going to go get some PS3 games this weekend.

I'd like something to scratch my horror itch.

How was Silent Hill Downpour?

Any suggestions for survival horror would be appreciated. I've never played the Fatal Frame games, was there anything in this vein released for PS3?

I thought Downpour was actually quite good, although not exactly really scary. Obviously your mileage might vary on that point depending on your exposure to horror and how you normally react to it (I tend to be pretty stoic most of the time so I might be a bad benchmark). In terms of the actual gameplay though, I think it really nails "Survival horror" a lot better than most other games that carry that label. Running away is actually a viable option thanks to the somewhat open level design. Melee combat feels loose, but not overly clunky; it's just the right amount of "difficult to use" that you usually want to avoid doing it, but when you're forced to it doesn't feel frustrating.

One thing that bugged me which I'll warn you about now: there are a bunch of lockers throughout the game that ask for a numeric code. These are related to pre-order bonuses so do not drive yourself crazy trying to find the combination hidden somewhere in the game; you won't. If you want to see what you can get out of them, the various codes are on gamefaqs and such.

Another one to check out might be Deadly Premonition. I haven't played it but it seems to have gotten quite a lot of attention. It's not really the same kind of horror as Silent Hill (it's not nearly so serious; more of a Twin Peaks kind of thing), and apparently it's a bit hit or miss in terms of the design, but it's supposed to have a few elements that at the very least make it an interesting experiment. You may want to check out a few second opinions on this one before picking it up, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 1, 2013

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Perfect, thanks.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Perfect, thanks.

You might also want to give Cyber Nations a chance, it's not terrible and doesn't really take a lot of time during the day. If you liked Urban Dead, there's also Shartak.

Actually, are there any good sims at all that use mouse controls? Like, do any of the Wing Commanders do it?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I'm looking for free, non-graphics intensive multiplayer games to play with a friend of mine. He has no real money to spend on games and a barebones computer, but we like hopping on Mumble and having some fun. So more games we could play would rock.

We've played (and enjoyed) Toribash, Sub Rosa, Minetest, old Ace of Spades, and we're also going to try to play some retro games through an emulator with multiplayer functionality.

There's a good chance if it's multiplayer and free, we'll enjoy it. Thanks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm suddenly struck by a bout of nostalgia to play a Carmen Sandiego game again. Which is the best one to dig up and play?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'm looking for free, non-graphics intensive multiplayer games to play with a friend of mine. He has no real money to spend on games and a barebones computer, but we like hopping on Mumble and having some fun. So more games we could play would rock.

We've played (and enjoyed) Toribash, Sub Rosa, Minetest, old Ace of Spades, and we're also going to try to play some retro games through an emulator with multiplayer functionality.

There's a good chance if it's multiplayer and free, we'll enjoy it. Thanks.

Terraria if you like Minetest I guess. The old Doom 2 games are a blast, and have a metric poo poo ton of mods to make things new. That would probably be my highest recommendation. If you pop into the Retro FPS thread, there's a huge list of good ones. Some old RTS games a swell, like WC2, SC, the C&C games, and stuff like that. Hell even Diablo 2.

Edit: Terraria isn't free, but goes on sale for dirt cheap. The blizzard games may be hard to get for cheap. And if you can't find a copy of Doom 2, well I don't know what to tell you.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Mining. I'm looking for an awesome - freeware or no - game about mining and spelunking, that kind of thing. Terraria was basically the best game I've played yet for that, and I've also of course played Minecraft, DF, so other than those, any recommendations you goons have would be great. :)

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Age of Wushu.

Chinese free to play MMO, with Street fighter like Kung Fu combat.

Why should we do that ? well side from burning down guild halls that cost about US$400.00 that we are building ours for free with. Stuff like this happens in the game world, and the game world polymorphs around your character's leveling and reputation.

So, perhaps the worlds most awesome and weird quest happened last night in this game. Apparently this is pretty normal for players who play alot, but it is definitely the worlds most trippy quest I have done since Everquest.

It started last night when we were going to a raid boss. A bunch of Viet United were going to crash our world boss killing and since they were low level I thought, "ok killing time". Viet's had friends and I was killed shortly in a 4v1.
Mikh wakes up in the Shenzeng hospital, and a cutscene begins with a crazy lady in white crying over my body. So now this is where poo poo gets really really weird.

The girl turns out was raped, but she was raped so bad she can no longer remember who she is or where she is. Text pops up this is a random quest encounter. In this game, if you do quests, your reputation and the quests you do in the game world enable you to unlock these random instances. Anyways, she gives me a bloody hankerchief, that apparently she used to cover her bloody wound where her vagina was. It has a family china name on it, so the quest begins. Since this was a long quest, and TLDR ADHD, the rest will be bullet pointed.

- 5 fetch-and-quest quests whereby I had to deduce who the family was, it turns out after various conversations with people in Jinying, her father was a rich merchant lord who sold his daughter to the local black market money runner (in old china, holding gold and hiding your wealth was a big deal given the 80% tax rate to Bejing) because he could not pay the runner fee.
- Go back to Yanjing and do 4-quests to figure out where the seedy den of Kessel Run smugglers is hiding out at.
- Find a low level thug, beat him up and have him take me to the money runner. The boss then decides to send 10 equal level to my skill level NPC's at me to kill me on the map as I approach him (Kill bill restaurant scene ensues with many NPC innocents dead in the middle of the town, other players going wtf>!).
- Money runner found, he explains he will tell me the story only if he gets out of a contract to run money for a rich eccentric man who has given him 10 Deng (about US$900.00 out of game) worth of money. If we dump his cargo off, we get to keep it.
- I rally the guild, because 10 Deng a money train is stupidly good for the Goontang swarm
- We rally up, and run 1 really big cart. I didnt get a screen shot of this, but it was about twice the size of a normal cart, and had spikes and flags all around it.
- The goonquest ensued, whereby 40 of us killed everything on the map as a 40 man swarm through the heart of our Viet United / Magnum Opus's home province. Mulan soundtrack Karaoke ensued.
- We turn in the Cart, and nothing happens. Guild is Gipped out of 10 Ding.
- Quest does not complete, so we assume it is bugged and I go back to get the quest again. Cart adventure part 2 begins, and finishes. More carebears die and our cart completes. No Deng to the guild... I'm starting to get pissed off.
- The quest updates saying the game lied to us. There was no 10 Deng. Go back to the Money Runner and kill his rear end for wasting Goontang's time (this was the quest text).
- I go back and the dude is not at his place. I trash it anyways.
- I get knocked out, and respawn in a well, with the guy at the bottom and really broken up. He explains the rich old guy lied to us, to try and clean the evidence of the rich guy's daughter being raped to death, and the fact he embezzled 10 Deng from both the government and us, and the money launderer.
- Rocks start falling, and I have to avoid them, and break the rocks before we die (imagine Tetris meets Kung fu) for 2 min.
- Nailed it: escaped the hole, and now know where to find the Eccentric Murdering Billionaire guy.
- I fight old guy, who tells me if I find some magic weed in the forest all will be revealed as to why he wanted to gently caress Goontang. The man I need to find is Wu Boing
- Wu Boing tells me I need to find some magic weeds, smoke them and speak to Luong Dong Wu.
- Luong Dong Wu tells me I need to find Wu Dong who will tell me there is some magic mushrooms who bring people back from the dead.
- Wu Dong, apparently is like the Greg House of China, and he wants me to test this theory on some old rich lady. Turns out the old bitch dies, but not before she tells me she is the one who Rich Billionare was trying to fraud out of a divorice.
- Wu Dong then tells me to go back to Wu Boing, who was the Butler of Rich Eccentric guy, who then produces the prostitutes body.
- I give the schrooms (still tripping myself, screen super bright) to the girl, who then vanishes.
- Tripping, Wu Dong sends me a message saying follow your heart. This hyperlink text leads me halfway x-ross the map to a pool of water.
- Standing on the rocks by the water, hands from the rock grab my character and pull me through the map into the netherword. Cutscene begins where I find the body of the girl, and the guy who led me initially to the money launderer. I pull them to shore, and give them the schrooms.
- Guy becomes a zombie long enough to explain wtf is going on:
It turns out the girl was a prostitute and given to the billionare, who caused him to dump his wife, but she did not want him. She wanted to be with the guy. She tipped off the guy, who then stole the cart. They then realized that they would be raped killed and murdered, so he raped and killed and murdered his girl, and then used the money to send his family a workbench so they would not have to be thugs for the money runner anymore. He then kills himself.
- Girl thanks us for getting them off the hook by bringing them back, but their ancestors want them to stay dead, so they kill themselves again.
- Boy says that for putting up with his girls crazy poo poo. we can have the workbench.

Guild gets a 10 Deng workbench that we will now use for building weapons for people.

When I figure how to upload the screenshots I posted of proof that these guys do exist, and I did not make this all up; I'll add it to this post.

Needless to say, this game is loving lightyears ahead of EVE and WOW, and Secret World, and Star Trek online. It's like China said "how can we build the next-gen Ultima Online?", and they did it. Now Play this loving game already.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

A friend of mine is looking for a PC RPG that lets you customize your party. He's already played the hell out of Wizardry 8, Might and Magic, Exile/Avernum, so those are out. I can't think of any myself, thus I turn to the goon hivemind.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion Storms of Zehir lets you create your own party. It does it really well too; any party member can speak in dialog rather than just the party leader (there really isn't a "party leader" anyway since you can take manual control of any party member at any time), and pretty often your party members will have unique choices based on their skills or class or race or whatever, so it really encourages variation.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rorac posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a PC RPG that lets you customize your party. He's already played the hell out of Wizardry 8, Might and Magic, Exile/Avernum, so those are out. I can't think of any myself, thus I turn to the goon hivemind.

Icewind Dale 1/2. Baldur's Gate 1/2 will also do it but you have to load up a multiplayer game and give control of each party member to yourself. Temple of Elemental Evil is another choice, played with the Circle of Eight mod.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Beamed posted:

Mining. I'm looking for an awesome - freeware or no - game about mining and spelunking, that kind of thing. Terraria was basically the best game I've played yet for that, and I've also of course played Minecraft, DF, so other than those, any recommendations you goons have would be great. :)

No, "mining" exactly, but you can't go wrong with Spelunky.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

HardDisk posted:

No, "mining" exactly, but you can't go wrong with Spelunky.

I already beat both it and the "secret" dungeon. :(

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Beamed posted:

I already beat both it and the "secret" dungeon. :(

You sir are a liar and I will not stand for this. :mad:

I can barely get past the mines. I'm so jealous.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Rorac posted:

Legend of Grimrock.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Beamed posted:

Miner Dig Deep, XBox LIve Arcade Indie Section. You are a miner. You dig for gems and valuables, avoid rocks that might crash in on your head, use the money to continue digging as far and as deep as you can.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
So I just stopped playing Omerta: City of Gangsters. I guess it wasn't bad for what it was, but I was expecting a more in-depth, detailed form of crime/mob administration that would have made it really interesting - like hitting enemy gangsters, fighting over turf, a more detailed economy, and so on. Full city-level play would have been great, too, instead of the small, self-contained mission islands you got in Omerta.

Does anyone know a game that was made recently (that isn't, like, a Facebook game) that fits that description?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nombres posted:

So I just stopped playing Omerta: City of Gangsters. I guess it wasn't bad for what it was, but I was expecting a more in-depth, detailed form of crime/mob administration that would have made it really interesting - like hitting enemy gangsters, fighting over turf, a more detailed economy, and so on. Full city-level play would have been great, too, instead of the small, self-contained mission islands you got in Omerta.

Does anyone know a game that was made recently (that isn't, like, a Facebook game) that fits that description?

Nothing like that is even remotely modern. Mob Rule is kind of what you're looking for but also kind of not. Think Tropico meets the prohibition.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Nombres posted:

It's not at all recent but http://www.gog.com/gamecard/gangsters_organized_crime is pretty much the game you describe. It's not perfect but it is pretty deep. I wish someone would make a similar more modern game (there was a sequel but it was poo poo) and I was really hoping that was what Omerta would be.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rorac posted:

Realms of Arkania's party generation is amazing and will exhaust even the toughest grognard. Be prepared to choose from among dozens of skills and spells and agonise over exactly how hydrophobic and avaristic your characters are!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

My sister's SO's child saved up for a new computer. He wants to try something graphically intensive. But, alas, he is 9 years old so no Witcher 2 for him. In fact, no violent (i.e. high age rating) games at all.

Do gorgeous and non-violent games even exist for PC? All I can think of is Portal 2 and Need for Speed and neither of them are exactly cutting edge. On the other hand I think he has so far mostly been playing Minecraft, so...

Are RTS games too complicated for a 9-year-old?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

My sister's SO's child saved up for a new computer. He wants to try something graphically intensive. But, alas, he is 9 years old so no Witcher 2 for him. In fact, no violent (i.e. high age rating) games at all.
Space Engine maybe? Get him hooked on space early. :science:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Do gorgeous and non-violent games even exist for PC? All I can think of is Portal 2 and Need for Speed and neither of them are exactly cutting edge. On the other hand I think he has so far mostly been playing Minecraft, so...

I played Starcraft 1 when I was like 10-11 but I was horrific at it. YMMV.

How about Dirt 2? It's not *that* graphically intensive but it's pretty as hell. Also how does a 9 year old save up hundreds of dollars? Is he selling drugs? Also, the new SimCity or Anno 2070 might interest him. Anno can get pretty complicated but if you can find him some cheat codes depending on his personality type he might like it.

edit: Oh gently caress, if I had Space Engine when I was 9 I would be working at NASA right now.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 5, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Anno games look great - either 1404 or 2070. They're economic games so very little violence, but they may be kind of hard for a 9 year old by themselves, but if you play with him they're easy to follow along with and understand.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Trine 1 and 2 are really really pretty. Sonic Generations is rather good looking and loads of fun. The Anno games are also gorgeous. But if RTS games are too much, they might be as well.

Ridge Racer unbounded is supposed to be a blast to play, and looks real pretty to boot.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go try Space Engine.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Also how does a 9 year old save up hundreds of dollars? Is he selling drugs?

Kids these days! Apparently he's a bit of a genius, really good at maths and loves spreadsheets. Maybe he has a job on the side as an engineer or something? Actually, this means he might very much enjoy Space Engine!

Thanks for the other recommendations as well. I'll check if he likes strategy and all sorts of driving games are a safe bet I think. Trine looks like something I would enjoy, never bothered to see it motion before.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

This is not what your nephew is looking for, but I suspect it might be every grown-up's duty to introduce the youth to Oregon Trail. I'm not sure it's on school computers anymore, so this may be the only way the next generation of Americans know about dysentery.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Caufman posted:

This is not what your nephew is looking for, but I suspect it might be every grown-up's duty to introduce the youth to Oregon Trail. I'm not sure it's on school computers anymore, so this may be the only way the next generation of Americans know about dysentery.

:corsair:
No, they're not on school computers. Just give him the iPhone app.

Anyway, I asked for a game like Overgrowth, but I want to expand that question to any good recent fighting games for the PC. I've already played Toribash, and failed miserably at it. I love Tekken Tag Tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

V for Vegas posted:

The Anno games look great - either 1404 or 2070. They're economic games so very little violence, but they may be kind of hard for a 9 year old by themselves, but if you play with him they're easy to follow along with and understand.

Apparently he's a bit of a genius, really good at maths and loves spreadsheets.

Sounds like we have a winner!

If you really want to challenge him you could throw him into X3 :unsmigghh:
I guess blowing up other ships might be violent, though...