Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The archetypical JRPG, Dragon Quest, usually has you killing some analog of Satan, but God is there too and he'll spar with you if you want. The apparent weakness of the implied theodicy is sometimes addressed.

But it's clear that the structure of the games, where the player's power increases open-endedly, clearly lend themselves to a maltheistic storyline, more often than the games' creators specifically setting out to express maltheism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

The White Dragon posted:

So basically FF2, and then playing Dawn of Souls afterwards?

If Firion and company had barged in instead of Minwu, Josef, Ricard and Scott, pretty much, yes.

SpazmasterX posted:

I still don't understand how a giant faceless angel thing turns into a giant dragon when he absorbs one guy and Phoenix, so who knows?

I figure it's a combination of the writers working in bits of your character's Chosen One aspect from Wings of the Goddess, Selh'teus being a pretty big deal, and Promathia actually having enough time to grow to full power (and thus initiate the apocalypse), as opposed to you and your buddies kicking his teeth in not thirty seconds after he manifests a physical form as it happened in Chains. Phoenix was probably not as much of a factor compared to Selh'teus himself given how world lore treats Phoenix and the other Terrestrial Avatars as equivalent to housecats and pigeons and poo poo in the hierarchy of Vana'diel divinity.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Shaezerus posted:

I figure it's a combination of the writers working in bits of your character's Chosen One aspect from Wings of the Goddess, Selh'teus being a pretty big deal, and Promathia actually having enough time to grow to full power (and thus initiate the apocalypse), as opposed to you and your buddies kicking his teeth in not thirty seconds after he manifests a physical form as it happened in Chains. Phoenix was probably not as much of a factor compared to Selh'teus himself given how world lore treats Phoenix and the other Terrestrial Avatars as equivalent to housecats and pigeons and poo poo in the hierarchy of Vana'diel divinity.

Man, the Terrestrial Avatars get such a raw deal despite being the best Avatars.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
What are the odds of them making another FF9 type game where they go back to the roots?

If it were an American IP this would have been done long ago, I think, but it's Square and the Japanese are ~crazy~.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

SpazmasterX posted:

Man, the Terrestrial Avatars get such a raw deal despite being the best Avatars.

I like to think that aspect is the primary reason why Bahamut is so angry all the time, he likes being up near the top of the food chain while everyone above him is either too in stasis, dead, crazy or indifferent to do anything about it. His answer to someone even threatening to shake up the order and reduce his standing was to try and nuke all known sentient life.

oswald ownenstein posted:

What are the odds of them making another FF9 type game where they go back to the roots?

If it were an American IP this would have been done long ago, I think, but it's Square and the Japanese are ~crazy~.

What they're doing with A Realm Reborn is, likely, their idea of going back to the series' roots. People like Magitek Armor, right? Throw that poo poo in. The Crystal Tower from FF3? SURE, WHY NOT.

If not that, Dimensions is probably the next best example.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 30, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Isn't that what Bravely Default pretty much is? Which is also why everyone is so desperate for it to be localized already.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Shaezerus posted:

So it doesn't beat "Kill God, then travel to an alternate dimension where God killed you instead and kill him again" then?

The best part of this scenario in FFXI, by the way, is how the npc filling you in about killing God the second time has a line which is basically "you need to be careful, (player), He is not your run-of-the-mill Man-God anymore, he's something much more powerful." Because at that point in FFXI your basic model God is barely a speed-bump for your character at that point.

Also I honestly figured he turns from a giant hooded guy into a dragon because there was someone on the Dev team who's only job was going down a list of Final Fantasy staples as they add content and it was time to stick Shinryu in there somewhere.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Krad posted:

Isn't that what Bravely Default pretty much is? Which is also why everyone is so desperate for it to be localized already.

They even teased us and dashed our hopes with that All The Bravest trademark for a really lame iOS game.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Meiteron posted:

The best part of this scenario in FFXI, by the way, is how the npc filling you in about killing God the second time has a line which is basically "you need to be careful, (player), He is not your run-of-the-mill Man-God anymore, he's something much more powerful." Because at that point in FFXI your basic model God is barely a speed-bump for your character at that point.

Also I honestly figured he turns from a giant hooded guy into a dragon because there was someone on the Dev team who's only job was going down a list of Final Fantasy staples as they add content and it was time to stick Shinryu in there somewhere.

I was just sad that he wasn't the crazy jagged crystalline dragon he used to be anymore. :(

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Meiteron posted:

Well by that point, if you've beaten every other storyline up to Abyssea, you've kicked the asses of:
- the lord of darkness,
- the lord of darkness's undying rage taken form,
- two immortals striving to become gods,
- at least two minor gods,
- two more minor gods in the Celestial Avatars of Light and Darkness (potentially multiple times),
- two dimensionally-displaced versions of the most powerful wizard alive at the same time,
- an alternate-timeline you,
- an alternate-timeline lord of darkness who ascended to actual divinity,
- (maybe) a cosmic entity whose job is to devour entire timelines,
- the actual god of twilight (possibly twice, depending on your take of A Crystalline Prophecy).

By this point the only thing left to do is encroach upon multiple realities to find and assault various deities. It's also worth mentioning that you do exactly this thing in the Voidwatch storyline as well.

SpazmasterX posted:

I was just sad that he wasn't the crazy jagged crystalline dragon he used to be anymore. :(

Provenance Watcher has you covered, but it's just not the same, I agree.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 30, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Yeah but Provenance Watcher is such a lame fight that you have to slog up to and through potentially multiple times. Shinryu is still fun to brew just because of how silly and easy it is.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Xavier434 posted:

I'm not so sure it is quite that simple. They tried to beat Sin in other ways, but nothing ever worked. The people of Spira were battling Sin for years using more weapons and strategies than just the final aeon. The Crusaders and Al Bhed are proof of that. The issue that they were facing is that no method that they tried was able to break Sin's outer shell except the final aeon. Over the course of many years, the people of Spira, like people everywhere, end up adapting the best that they can which in their case is to rely on the summoners bringing them the Calm. These are a people who have been mentally shattered by all of the suffering they endure. Clinging on so dearly to the only thing that brings you peace even temporarily in that kind of situation seems like a natural thing to do to me.

At least, that was my impression.

The theme I always saw in it was "Traditions are nice and all but sometimes they're only making things worse." The most obivous way it manifested for me was the "Don't follow in your father's footsteps" theme. Seymour became a Maester like his father and turned into a supervillain. Had Yuna followed completely in her father's footsteps, she'd be dead and Sin would just come back in a few years. Had Tidus followed in his father's footsteps, we would have liked him he would have become Sin.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Captain Vittles posted:

Had Tidus followed in his father's footsteps, we would have liked him he would have become Sin.
Tidus totally should've been a bro who was constantly drunk and fuckin' up Shoopuf legs.

with an optional story sequence where he downs a yard glass as the party chants CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Hearing all this XI talk makes me really wish I could have got into that game more in the past. It's really the only FF game I have no intention of ever trying again which is a shame since the story sounds ridiculous (and awesome).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Speaking of FF14:

I haven't paid attention to it in ages but the new version actually looks... good? They're rebooting it by taking a page out of FF7, a giant meteor/thing appears in the sky and it's just been getting bigger and bigger as time goes by and when it hits the new game will launch with a totally new engine, new story. Looks interesting.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

ShadeofDante posted:

Hearing all this XI talk makes me really wish I could have got into that game more in the past. It's really the only FF game I have no intention of ever trying again which is a shame since the story sounds ridiculous (and awesome).

It's a shame that the Special Task Force cracked down on Fell Cleave parties run by RMT because with a little starting cash you could get yourself from a fresh account to 99 in two weeks or so and solo most if not all of the pre-Abyssea content.

Depending on the Job you take you can even say "I made a ladybug headbutt the apocalypse to death!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Speaking of FF14:

I haven't paid attention to it in ages but the new version actually looks... good? They're rebooting it by taking a page out of FF7, a giant meteor/thing appears in the sky and it's just been getting bigger and bigger as time goes by and when it hits the new game will launch with a totally new engine, new story. Looks interesting.

A Realm Reborn looks great and I really, really hope I get in the beta soon. :ohdear:

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 30, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Subscription fee :|

If it's really loving good, the final fantasy nerd in me will succumb for at least a month or two, but I just can't justify them anymore - too many awesome games are free, or free with pay stuff that doesn't bother me a whit.

I hope it is good though, FF14 was the biggest waste of animators, artists, musicians, and other creative talent I've seen in a long time :(

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

victrix posted:

Subscription fee :|

If it's really loving good, the final fantasy nerd in me will succumb for at least a month or two, but I just can't justify them anymore - too many awesome games are free, or free with pay stuff that doesn't bother me a whit.

I hope it is good though, FF14 was the biggest waste of animators, artists, musicians, and other creative talent I've seen in a long time :(

Tanaka's announcement of leaving Square Enix was literally the best news to come out of Vana'fest 2012. The whole event could have just been thirty seconds of him walking on stage, saying "I'm out," and disappearing into the night and it would have been a resounding success. The Seekers of Adoulin reveal didn't even compare.

How he managed to return to 11 for a year and a half after the colossal fuckup that was 14's release is still beyond me, and despite the health-reasons air I can't say anything less than thank gently caress he's gone. For what he had to clean up, Yoshida is a drat miracle worker, and Matsui is finally giving 11 fixes that desperately needed fixing for years.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 30, 2013

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Once they can't get anymore money reselling all the old games on every device known to man at a cheap buck.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd love to see a class-based multiplayer Final Fantasy game, kind of like TF2 or Mass Effect 3 MP. MMOs are just a complete time and money sink for me these days, it would be awesome to have something casual like that. Ooh, especially if they made it like FF5, where you play long enough as one class and you can assign one of its abilities to another class.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I've wanted an action-RPG based on the class-system from FFV with the ability to change classes on the fly and equip sub-abilities for some time, but that'd be almost like a dream project that'd be extremely unlikely to see today.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Mordaedil posted:

I've wanted an action-RPG based on the class-system from FFV with the ability to change classes on the fly and equip sub-abilities for some time, but that'd be almost like a dream project that'd be extremely unlikely to see today.

Is this not basically what FFXI is? (minus the on-the-fly class change)

edit: nevermind, battle is menu-driven (barring shortcut keys which aren't really the same thing as press button get action)

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Mordaedil posted:

Isn't more or less this what they are doing in LR:FFXIII?

Also, have a moustache video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih3Fjb8XB6g

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I hope Square Enix stops making games and just makes mustache engines. Everyone would be happy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wish someone could/would do a Let's Play of FFXI because I would like to see the story. I don't know if it would be possible.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Hey can anyone sum up the key differences between FF6 SNES and FF6A? I'm about to finish 5 and then I figure I'll give 6 another run, it's only been like a decade since I've played it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I wish someone could/would do a Let's Play of FFXI because I would like to see the story. I don't know if it would be possible.

I think you can find all of the plot scenes chronologically in some youtube playlists.

I actually did try the FF11-for-story thing about a year or two ago. It didn't go well. The game is more 'friendly' than it was once upon a time, but it was still an unfriendly slog.

And as is the case with all old mmos,the entire playerbase assumes you know everything, which made playing a real chore.

Ironically I never did go check for the whole story on youtube v:v:v

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Hey can anyone sum up the key differences between FF6 SNES and FF6A? I'm about to finish 5 and then I figure I'll give 6 another run, it's only been like a decade since I've played it.

-Different translation, more coherent in some areas but a lot of the woolseyisms are removed. Opinions are split on which is better (putting it mildly).

-Because of the way the GBA handles sound the music had to be redone. It's, uh... it's not that great sounding, and if you have any familiarity with the SNES versions of the tracks it can be very off-putting. If you don't care that much about the music though you probably won't care that much.

-They added a few new espers which teach new spells or provide access to existing ones which by themselves are pretty rare.

-There's a bonus dungeon, with bonus bosses inside, and a boss rush mode pretty much exactly like the one in FFVA.

I think that's basically all the big changes they made. Beyond that the port is pretty faithful. I, personally, would play the SNES version over the GBA one but either option will probably be alright.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I've wanted to do this myself for so long but video-recording and I... don't exactly see eye-to-eye. :smith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Meiteron posted:

-Different translation, more coherent in some areas but a lot of the woolseyisms are removed. Opinions are split on which is better (putting it mildly).

-Because of the way the GBA handles sound the music had to be redone. It's, uh... it's not that great sounding, and if you have any familiarity with the SNES versions of the tracks it can be very off-putting. If you don't care that much about the music though you probably won't care that much.

-They added a few new espers which teach new spells or provide access to existing ones which by themselves are pretty rare.

-There's a bonus dungeon, with bonus bosses inside, and a boss rush mode pretty much exactly like the one in FFVA.

I think that's basically all the big changes they made. Beyond that the port is pretty faithful. I, personally, would play the SNES version over the GBA one but either option will probably be alright.

The GBA version also fixes some of the bigger glitches of the SNES version, like the Vanish/Doom exploit and Evade being meaningless, so it has that going for it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think there's a music patch for it as well, though I don't know the details

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=&game=819&category=&perpage=20&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go

Here are all the available patches for Final Fantasy VI Advance. I think the translation is much better in the GBA version, but even for Woolsey die-hards there's a patch that restores his more memorable lines.

Make sure you at least use the colour and sound restoration patches, so all that you'd lose from the SNES version would be some of the vertical resolution.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

Shaezerus posted:

I've wanted to do this myself for so long but video-recording and I... don't exactly see eye-to-eye. :smith:

I had a test all ready for the sandcastle and made a test video in Jeuno... My computer let me know quite vividly that it is not capable of video recording. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All I need to know about FFXI I learned from Dissidia, Prishe is amazing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Mordaedil posted:

They made it, and called it Final Fantasy X-2, but everyone complained anyway.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who doesn't even like FFXI, I'd consider LPing that game myself if it weren't for the titanic time investment off-camera it would require. Especially in light of the fact that the best way to do that LP would be to have an entire party go through everything together and have assigned personalities or maybe even all the players posting in the thread about their solo experiences and poo poo. Creating that LP and managing that thread would pretty much be a fulltime job.

YggiDee posted:

I DON'T WANT TO BE A GIRL THOUGH

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

YggiDee posted:

Menu driven battle system != ARPG.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Zombies' Downfall posted:

As someone who doesn't even like FFXI, I'd consider LPing that game myself if it weren't for the titanic time investment off-camera it would require. Especially in light of the fact that the best way to do that LP would be to have an entire party go through everything together and have assigned personalities or maybe even all the players posting in the thread about their solo experiences and poo poo. Creating that LP and managing that thread would pretty much be a fulltime job.

Yeah. Basically, something like that would be best left to someone who as actually completed everything the game has to offer insofar as story missions. That way, they could skip over the boring filler quests and just use the assorted cutscene NPCs to give you the necessary story stuff. Then you just showcase the important/fun/cool fights along with those cutscenes as well.

It would still be a massive undertaking though. You'd have to cover:

-Ranks 1-10 of the chosen starting city (San d'Oria, of course)
-Especially ranks 1-6, since those are the whole first story arc.
-If for some reason you chose Windurst, you have to do all the Avatar fights.
-All the relevant Dynamis cutscenes. Thankfully, I think these can all be done outside Dynamis.
-All of Rise of The Zilart
-Then finally all of Chains of Promathia to finally complete the first story.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YggiDee posted:

I think he means something more like Elder Scrolls or Dark Souls. Which would be insanely awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

I think he means something more like Elder Scrolls or Dark Souls. Which would be insanely awesome.

Except neither of those games play well as action games(And this is from someone who loves Dark Souls).