Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Pfffff who eats vegetables :smug:

edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I love vegetables. I eat many of them. That was the only thing I didn't like about Spain - the lack of vegetables anywhere (though it was made up for by the amount of olives, ham, and cheese available. And I think they count wine as a vegetable.)

Mindphlux it's wintertime you should be eating lots of cabbages and beets and home canned tomatoes.

In other news, I discovered this morning that Hertz UK has absolutely wonderful telephone customer service, and they don't put all sorts of crazy surcharges on Americans renting cars like the other companies do.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I love vegetables. I eat many of them. That was the only thing I didn't like about Spain - the lack of vegetables anywhere (though it was made up for by the amount of olives, ham, and cheese available. And I think they count wine as a vegetable.)

Mindphlux it's wintertime you should be eating lots of cabbages and beets and home canned tomatoes.

In other news, I discovered this morning that Hertz UK has absolutely wonderful telephone customer service, and they don't put all sorts of crazy surcharges on Americans renting cars like the other companies do.

Any good Savoy cabbage recipes then? I do a white bean, potato and cabbage soup with pistou (the pistou makes it amazing); stir fried with soy and ginger; braised with butter and mustard; and steamed and made into colcannon. Any other good suggestions? Could I braise it like red cabbage with vinegar, sugar and juniper?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Look at that smug loving face.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

This is a terrible thing. Essentially service blackmail. I travel a lot and get perks for being a platinum member for particular airlines and hotels, but that is a "thank you" for lots of repeat business and probable continued business. This is just groveling for fear of a bad review. I hope restaurant and hospitality industry businesses would be able to laugh in the face of people who try to flash a review card.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

I don't see why I gotta pay that dude a C note for one of those cards when I can just get some business cards that say "Will write good internet review for preferential service"

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Happy Hat posted:

You will always be welcome! Seriously!

Did you get any mail yet?

Man that would be so amazing. :allears: I have not gotten anything in the post yet, no. :(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I was expecting James Franco.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

Any good Savoy cabbage recipes then? I do a white bean, potato and cabbage soup with pistou (the pistou makes it amazing); stir fried with soy and ginger; braised with butter and mustard; and steamed and made into colcannon. Any other good suggestions? Could I braise it like red cabbage with vinegar, sugar and juniper?

You sure could. Most cabbage works that way. Or sauteed in a bit of bacon grease/lard/butter, with onions, caraway, and cider vinegar (my favourite way). Or, if you have really good cabbage, the best way is sometimes just very quickly boiled in very salty water and then dressed with a bit of butter and black pepper.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

KWC posted:

This is a terrible thing. Essentially service blackmail. I travel a lot and get perks for being a platinum member for particular airlines and hotels, but that is a "thank you" for lots of repeat business and probable continued business. This is just groveling for fear of a bad review. I hope restaurant and hospitality industry businesses would be able to laugh in the face of people who try to flash a review card.
I realize it's easy for me to say this as a non-restaurant-owner, but my kneejerk reaction would be to throw out anyone brandishing that card as an implicit threat with a free side of go gently caress yourself.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bartolimu posted:

I realize it's easy for me to say this as a non-restaurant-owner, but my kneejerk reaction would be to throw out anyone brandishing that card as an implicit threat with a free side of go gently caress yourself.

I think you might have to start that to avoI'd setting the worst precedent:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"I'm sorry, we have a policy to not serve guests who have disclosed that they are reviewers in order to prevent any possibility of favoritism so that we can ensure that all our guests get the same service. Now that we know who you are, we will unfortunately be unable to serve you in the future.

We would be delighted to show an aanonymous reviewer from your organization how we treat all our guests, please send them along! "

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Hmm - why not print that poo poo up yourself, and do the "Free reviewer card with every meal!" thing instead...

It really is preposterous that people are looking for differential treatment while posing as unbiased on the internet..

Oh... wait...

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
@Dino. I made your Eggplant v2 last night, was awesome, and I'm not particularly a fan of eggplant. Wife loved it. Still trying to source curry leaves, but I am excited to try the other things in your book!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for all the suggestions - mandolined brusslesprouts is a great idea for a slaw. I saw that in a restaurant recently and was impressed, but promptly forgot about it. I do puddle bath carrots, but to be honest, I find them a little boring - they're never as intensely carroty as I'm hoping they will be.

I have been eating a lot of kale and to a less extent beets - I never thought I'd say this, but I actually really dig raw kale salads, thanks to wholefoods. I had no idea you could do anything but braise the poo poo out of greens 3 or 4 years ago, but now I cook them a ton, and love the raw/marinated approach. crispy kale is a favorite of mine too - especially in a salad with apples, bacon, and a buttermilk dressing.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

If this was cheaper I'd totally buy it as a joke. And then everyone would think I just made it myself.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I posted this in the other thread, but... lol

quote:

In the 1990s, he launched a social-networking site.

"I don't want to say it was the first Facebook, but it was," Newman said. "Even though it bombed."

He now primarily does marketing for dental offices.

a goon reviewer card you say

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:smug: gently caress you, got mine (reviewer card).

You're all just jealous of the prestige that comes with carrying a card that lets the world know you write reviews... on the INTERNET. You're pretty much a cyber warrior, a modern day electro cowboy. Some would call you a ninja samurai data pirate monkeycheese ultragoon but you know what? They're just jealous. Jealous of all the power that is inherent with submitting your opinions to Yelp or Travelog dot com.

This is it, this is the bigtime.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wasn't this an entire chapter of The Restaurant at the End Of The Universe? Except that it worked.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wasn't this an entire chapter of The Restaurant at the End Of The Universe? Except that it worked.

It was the second-most efficient way to power intergalactic travel I'm not sure that's really quite the same.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Here is Stovetop posted:

@Dino. I made your Eggplant v2 last night, was awesome, and I'm not particularly a fan of eggplant. Wife loved it. Still trying to source curry leaves, but I am excited to try the other things in your book!

Curry leaves???

Got it!
:)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It was the second-most efficient way to power intergalactic travel I'm not sure that's really quite the same.

No, not the drive. I seem to recall Ford running up a huge tab in a bar, and then offering a favorable review in The Guide as payment.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Happy Hat posted:

Curry leaves???

Got it!
:)

XD Oh my god you smug bastard. I don't know if I mentioned it, but the curry leaves I sent you are the curry leaves from my mother's garden. They're a cross-breed of about three different strains. There was one plant that came from our Trinidad friend. Cool guy. Another came from this couple that lived in south Miami who had enormous trees, and would bring huge branches of the stuff to give away at the temple. Still another came from a friend who grew them on his farm to sell to Indian stores across the USA. Anyway. We planted all three in the front yard, and the bees just kept cross-pollinating them after the rainy season. Eventually, it got so that the trees that grew from those initial plants were their own strain, and have an incredibly fragrant taste, while the leaves are thinner and slightly more waxy (making them last a bit longer in transit). I've yet to find another tree that comes close to my mother's leaves.

In other words, a little bit goes a long way.

Placenta Smoothie
Aug 25, 2008

Somehow I don't think walking unarmed into a herd of boar with razor blades for tusks is an entirely sound idea.
In other words you probably have to best curry leaves in the Northern Hemisphere.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I would train each and every one of my servers to look at the card, then return it with a big kindergarten-teacher smile saying, "Wow, that's a nifty card- did you make it yourself?"

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

I would train each and every one of my servers to look at the card, then return it with a big kindergarten-teacher smile saying, "Wow, that's a nifty card- did you make it yourself?"

wroughtirony, oh wroughtirony

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

dino. posted:

XD Oh my god you smug bastard. I don't know if I mentioned it, but the curry leaves I sent you are the curry leaves from my mother's garden. They're a cross-breed of about three different strains. There was one plant that came from our Trinidad friend. Cool guy. Another came from this couple that lived in south Miami who had enormous trees, and would bring huge branches of the stuff to give away at the temple. Still another came from a friend who grew them on his farm to sell to Indian stores across the USA. Anyway. We planted all three in the front yard, and the bees just kept cross-pollinating them after the rainy season. Eventually, it got so that the trees that grew from those initial plants were their own strain, and have an incredibly fragrant taste, while the leaves are thinner and slightly more waxy (making them last a bit longer in transit). I've yet to find another tree that comes close to my mother's leaves.

In other words, a little bit goes a long way.

I want these magical curry leaves. I want them inside me.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 31, 2013

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I want these magical curry leaves. I want them inside me.

dino santa = best santa!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Good curry leaves are hard to find around here. Kam Man has them sometime; we've got a bunch drying in the kitchen right now.

Immergeîl
Feb 28, 2004

I wine them and dine them, but I don't let them tell me what to do. I DON'T LET THEM TELL ME WHAT TO DO!
Finally moving today, so now I won't be sharing a kitchen with my ex-girlfriend anymore and I can actually start cooking again. gently caress me, I'm excited!

Timing is perfect - just found Dino's book in my mail-box this morning.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
So I read where Cashews come from yesterday. I have to say I am terribly sad, that I will probably never get to eat a cashew apple, and I'm not going to quit eating them or anything but the nuts freak me out a little bit now.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Huh? Cashews are evil?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Interesting thread over in GBS:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531147

Some Russian family escapes religious persecution by running out into Siberia, build a shack and live there for 40 years, away from any human contact. A survey team accidentally discovers them in 1978 and interviews them, asking about their difficult life without metal tools, building their own shoes, etc.

The thing the dad missed the most about civilization? Salt.

Also, at one point their family might have perished if it were not for a single grain of rye they discovered. Check it out, it's a pretty gripping story.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Interesting thread over in GBS:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531147

Some Russian family escapes religious persecution by running out into Siberia, build a shack and live there for 40 years, away from any human contact. A survey team accidentally discovers them in 1978 and interviews them, asking about their difficult life without metal tools, building their own shoes, etc.

The thing the dad missed the most about civilization? Salt.

Also, at one point their family might have perished if it were not for a single grain of rye they discovered. Check it out, it's a pretty gripping story.

Yes, it's well worth a read.

Now I have to read about cashews.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Got a long letter from a certain Happy Hat in the post today. If you could have heard my fangirl-ish squeal of delight, you'd have glared at me for making such a high-pitched noise. It's been a /long/ day, and I just got home. This was exactly what I needed to lift my spirits. Thank you, Happy Hat. <3

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think it was me who started it, but I didn't say people were man babbies, I said the original "study" was stupid. The original study was basically a dude going to a "Twin Fair" and asking twins if they liked or hated cilantro and based on that he said that it may be genetic. To which, everyone who hates cilantro said, "SEE, IT'S GENETIC :science:".

Maybe it's because I'm a physicist and I'm used to being able to get real, measurable results not wishy washy "we asked a few people some questions and they gave us their subjective opinion which we cannot test or verify" results but even this sounds inconclusive to me. "Tastes soapy" is such a weird qualifier. What even does it mean for something to taste soapy? They separate "tastes soapy" from "likes/dislikes" but they didn't show any correlation. They don't mention any study of upbringing, culture. Were they raised to experience cilantro, do they have a propensity to like new foods, is cilantro even considered a "new food" to them? Sure they separate out by ethnicity, but the perception of soapiness could just be due to the lack of cilantro use in European foods. They could just as easily have asked "Does cardamom taste like vaporub?" or "Does cumin smell like some hippie's arm pits?" and probably got similar results, to which they could have run the same genotype analysis and got the same result. Not really correlation, unless I'm missing something.

Though, I admit, I am not a biologist, and if this is what is considered conclusive in that field I concede.

Link to paper:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1209.2096v1.pdf

Nope this is the proper response.

mindphlux posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions - mandolined brusslesprouts is a great idea for a slaw. I saw that in a restaurant recently and was impressed, but promptly forgot about it. I do puddle bath carrots, but to be honest, I find them a little boring - they're never as intensely carroty as I'm hoping they will be.

I have been eating a lot of kale and to a less extent beets - I never thought I'd say this, but I actually really dig raw kale salads, thanks to wholefoods. I had no idea you could do anything but braise the poo poo out of greens 3 or 4 years ago, but now I cook them a ton, and love the raw/marinated approach. crispy kale is a favorite of mine too - especially in a salad with apples, bacon, and a buttermilk dressing.

I just ate a giant pile of roasted broccoli for dinner last night with my sandwich. So great.

Additionally I too have recently discovered how awesome raw kale salads are. My favorite dressing so far is tahini+lemon.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Roast broccoli is great, but if you want to make it amazing, toast some flaked almonds in the same oven, then blitz with OO, garlic, lemon juice and S&P to make a really delicious dressing. So good.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

dino. posted:

Got a long letter from a certain Happy Hat in the post today. If you could have heard my fangirl-ish squeal of delight, you'd have glared at me for making such a high-pitched noise. It's been a /long/ day, and I just got home. This was exactly what I needed to lift my spirits. Thank you, Happy Hat. <3

Ahh.. I hope I wasn't too long-winded!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Raise your hand if you're jealous that dino. got a real HH letter.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Happy Hat posted:

Ahh.. I hope I wasn't too long-winded!

No not too long at all! It was lovely, and very you. I could almost hear your voice in my head. :) Now I'll have to write one back when I get home. Didn't have the energy to do so last night. Also, your kid is a good goose for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I was in IRC last night talking about truffles heres what I did:

lobster linguini with black truffle (butter tarragon, meyer lemon)

beef carpaccio over chanterelle panna cotta, crispy parmesan, deep fried parsley, grated black truffle

I was also greenlit on duck liver black truffle macaroni and cheese, but told to hold off for day or two since we dont want to run a hundred truffle specials