Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

There's a known bug in 1.10 that was discussed a page or two ago where the app would crash if you tried to load a page with any posts by users you've put on your ignore list. That's been fixed in 1.10.1, which I believe was submitted for review yesterday. Any chance that's what you guys are seeing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Cryptic Edge posted:

Same here, found this in the console
code:
[snip]

Fixed, thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

Is the awful code intended to be one of those "download and hit build and it just works" or does it require massaging?

Because I attempted just that with the latest xcode, and I get a pile of errors about retain cycles.

The plan was to poke at the code out of boredom, but objective C is pretty alien to me.

That's the idea. I only just grabbed Xcode 4.6 and fixed the warnings. Grab the latest from GitHub and let me know if there are still problems.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Diabolik900 posted:

There's a known bug in 1.10 that was discussed a page or two ago where the app would crash if you tried to load a page with any posts by users you've put on your ignore list. That's been fixed in 1.10.1, which I believe was submitted for review yesterday. Any chance that's what you guys are seeing?

It's crashing for me, too, when I tried opening the paranormal/conspiracy theory forum, and I don't have any ignored users.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
After the just published test flight update

Edit: console came with this mess
code:

Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-999 "The operation couldn’---t ---b---e ---c---o---m---p---l---e---t---e---d---. ---(---N---S---U---R---L---E---r---r---o---r---D---o---m---a---i---n ---e---r---r---o---r -------9---9---9---.---)---" ---U---s---e---r---I---n---f---o---=---0---x---2---6---c---d---6---0 ---{---N---S---E---r---r---o---r---F---a---i---l---i---n---g---U---R---L---K---e---y---=---h---t---t---p---:---/---/---f---o---r---u---m---s---.---s---o---m---e---t---h---i---n---g---a---w---f---u---l---.---c---o---m---/---f---o---r---u---m---d---i---s---p---l---a---y---.---p---h---p---?---f---o---r---u---m---i---d---=---2---4---2---&---p---a---g---e---n---u---m---b---e---r---=---1---&---p---e---r---p---a---g---e---=---4---0---}

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Cryptic Edge posted:

After the just published test flight update

Edit: console came with this mess
code:
Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-999 "The operation couldn’---t ---b---e ---c---o---m---p---l---e---t---e---d---. ---(---N---S---U---R---L---E---r---r---o---r---D---o---m---a---i---n ---e---r---r---o---r -------9---9---9---.---)---" ---U---s---e---r---I---n---f---o---=---0---x---2---6---c---d---6---0 ---{---N---S---E---r---r---o---r---F---a---i---l---i---n---g---U---R---L---K---e---y---=---h---t---t---p---:---/---/---f---o---r---u---m---s---.---s---o---m---e---t---h---i---n---g---a---w---f---u---l---.---c---o---m---/---f---o---r---u---m---d---i---s---p---l---a---y---.---p---h---p---?---f---o---r---u---m---i---d---=---2---4---2---&---p---a---g---e---n---u---m---b---e---r---=---1---&---p---e---r---p---a---g---e---=---4---0---}

I saw the same message on opening 1.10.1 Beta #4 (today's release) for the first time on my phone but I haven't gotten it to do it again.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pseudonordic posted:

I saw the same message on opening 1.10.1 Beta #4 (today's release) for the first time on my phone but I haven't gotten it to do it again.

Yeah, I just force closed and relaunched, seems like a one time error.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

Same here.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Same message, same console thing. Also appears to be one-time

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
Bug, I guess- I keep my phone on silent/vibrate pretty much all the time, and if I try to follow a YouTube link with the Awful browser it's silent unless I turn the ringer back on. In mobile YouTube, Jasmine, etc, things will still play audio even if the phone is silenced.

Neena fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 31, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
edit: Wow, wrong thread.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 31, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Pressing the title of an embedded YouTube video (which I expected would open it in the browser) opens the page within the thread and makes the thread inaccessible which is odd.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Pressing the title of an embedded YouTube video (which I expected would open it in the browser) opens the page within the thread and makes the thread inaccessible which is odd.

That certainly is odd, I'll check it out!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Weird error on launch fixed, you're a wizard pokeyman

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It's me… again :cheeky:

Are there any plans to add read it later support in the future? It'd be handy when long pressing links or hitting the 'share' button in the in-app browser. Here's an example of Tweetbot's menu which I think does it pretty well.

Just a thought, great for some of the more link-centric threads.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It's on the list. I don't want to store any usernames or passwords or even api tokens in Awful, but I'm happy to add any services that don't require that.

overseerbrian
Jun 25, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

From the checking I just did, this seems to be the case. Sorry about that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Feature request: I want to read in portrait mode with my iPod Touch upside down, so my headphone jack doesn't get squashed. Or is there an iOS 6 issue with this? I noticed Bejewelled lost this ability when I upgraded to the latest version.

Short answer: I'll fix it, no problem with iOS 6.

Long answer: I had assumed there was something in the Human Interface Guidelines about not allowing the portrait upside-down orientation on iPhones and iPods touch, but having just re-read the guidelines it seems to say the opposite. Most, if not all, of Apple's apps don't rotate upside-down, and I imagine other apps follow that cue. Awful followed that lead, but I'm not sure it really makes sense, so I'm happy to change it.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

pokeyman posted:

Short answer: I'll fix it, no problem with iOS 6.

Awesome - thanks once again!

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Long answer: I had assumed there was something in the Human Interface Guidelines about not allowing the portrait upside-down orientation on iPhones and iPods touch, but having just re-read the guidelines it seems to say the opposite. Most, if not all, of Apple's apps don't rotate upside-down, and I imagine other apps follow that cue. Awful followed that lead, but I'm not sure it really makes sense, so I'm happy to change it.

I think the logic behind it is that if you don't support upside-down portait, people can still read in landscape lying down on their side. Unlike the iPad (where orientation locks to the current orientation), the iPhone orientation lock is really just a portrait-lock - so if an app supports upside-down portrait there's no way to keep it in landscape, whereas if they don't (eg Safari) you can rotate "past" landscape and it will stick to landscape.

That's a lot of repetitive words on orientation and I don't think I'm explaining myself well, but I'd say there's more of a use-case for not supporting upside-down than there is for.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Most iPhone apps don't support upside-down orientation, and people (myself included) definitely take advantage of this in order to have a sort of ghetto orientation lock. I doubt that that's why Apple does it in their apps though. If Apple wanted people to be able to lock it in landscape orientation they would just make the orientation lock work the same way it does on the iPad.

Awful did support upside-down orientation at one point, but it was changed because a lot of people wanted to do what you're describing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I always assumed the logic was that a phone has an up side in portrait, and if an app is in portrait upside-down when a call comes in, you end up putting the mic to your ear. That logic doesn't hold for the iPod touch but whatever.

My plan was to look into the Awful-specific orientation lock that's been on the list for awhile. It'll default to not-portrait-upside-down on the iPhone, but will be changeable. I get the feeling is will be far more complicated than it should be, so I don't know when I'll get to it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I always assumed the logic was that a phone has an up side in portrait, and if an app is in portrait upside-down when a call comes in, you end up putting the mic to your ear. That logic doesn't hold for the iPod touch but whatever.

This makes sense. I never thought of it like that. From a software perspective, the iPod Touch is essentially the same as the iPhone anyway, so I'm not surprised it wouldn't get special treatment.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

pokeyman posted:

My plan was to look into the Awful-specific orientation lock that's been on the list for awhile. It'll default to not-portrait-upside-down on the iPhone, but will be changeable.

Thanks, this would be great.

Downcast has Portrait Lock settings section with:
Disabled
Enabled
Enabled (Prevent Upside Down)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is there anyway to get text in spoilers selectable? Someone put a URL in a spoiler without parsing it, and there was no way to just select the URL text. I had to copy the whole spoiler, paste it into notes, then select just the URL.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I can certainly take a look!

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
Thanks for the app! I think I read the forums way more often on an iOS device so this helps a lot. Plus, I didn't even know you could customize the CSS for the app and I figured that out thanks to this thread so I could fix all the minor things that annoyed me. I've got two minor things though:

1) When you click on the "Go To Awful Thread" button in settings are you supposed to jump to the very last post in this thread? It did so for me and that seems a bit illogical to me.

2) Is the app supposed to be able to pick halfway through a page? Because I've found that (for example) when I stop reading a thread halfway through page 4 and then come back later to the app (after it has been flushed from memory) it starts me at the top of page 5, skipping all the posts I haven't read.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Had you read the Awful thread before? If so, I imagine that's why it took you to the last post. Regarding your second issue, this was mentioned a few pages ago, and is not part of the current build. There was some discussion about the difficulty involved in implementing it without overwhelming the server with repeated requests.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
You can just hit the three dots and "mark read to here"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

FSFunky posted:

2) Is the app supposed to be able to pick halfway through a page? Because I've found that (for example) when I stop reading a thread halfway through page 4 and then come back later to the app (after it has been flushed from memory) it starts me at the top of page 5, skipping all the posts I haven't read.

The app works just like the Forums: if you load a page of posts, that whole page gets marked as read. If you want to save your place halfway, you can tap the ... and mark read to that post.

I've thought about changing things around in various ways, but ultimately I think the right answer is to keep it like the Forums.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fyad thing is cool. But since you've gone this far, I hope u plan on supporting rotating style sheets

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

What are rotating stylesheets?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

pokeyman posted:

The app works just like the Forums: if you load a page of posts, that whole page gets marked as read. If you want to save your place halfway, you can tap the ... and mark read to that post.

I've thought about changing things around in various ways, but ultimately I think the right answer is to keep it like the Forums.

You could always save the state of a page locally instead and sort of ghetto rig the new post count with this info.

Let's say you go into a thread with 50 unread posts.

You read a halfway through a full page, let's say 20 posts read, 20 posts remaining. Next time the thread list is refreshed, just take the number returned from SA and add the 20 posts remaining on the page. You'd have to have some extra logic to determine if the next page was actually read on the website/other device (maybe if the most recent page is 1 ahead of where it would be in this situation or something complicated)

It's certainly a bunch of complicated logic that can have a lot of mistakes, and would probably make more sense as a toggle instead, but it'd be pretty nice to have the functionality eventually.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ethereal posted:

You could always save the state of a page locally instead and sort of ghetto rig the new post count with this info.

Let's say you go into a thread with 50 unread posts.

You read a halfway through a full page, let's say 20 posts read, 20 posts remaining. Next time the thread list is refreshed, just take the number returned from SA and add the 20 posts remaining on the page. You'd have to have some extra logic to determine if the next page was actually read on the website/other device (maybe if the most recent page is 1 ahead of where it would be in this situation or something complicated)

It's certainly a bunch of complicated logic that can have a lot of mistakes, and would probably make more sense as a toggle instead, but it'd be pretty nice to have the functionality eventually.

There's already a method to mark where you left off, the same method the forums have. Push last read on the last post you read if your leaving off half way, then you can change threads misread, exit the app without losing your place, do whatever else.

Changing it seems like it'll cause more problems than it'll solve for the few people who don't use that function.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Cryptic Edge posted:

There's already a method to mark where you left off, the same method the forums have. Push last read on the last post you read if your leaving off half way, then you can change threads misread, exit the app without losing your place, do whatever else.

Changing it seems like it'll cause more problems than it'll solve for the few people who don't use that function.

Is this present in the default forums? Or do you need the SALR browser extension for that? I don't see the option anywhere without it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Is this present in the default forums? Or do you need the SALR browser extension for that? I don't see the option anywhere without it.

It's in your options (under user CP). It's one of the most useful features I find. No idea why it's not a default.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Specifically the option is "Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not" with the description "The icon can be clicked on to set the seen time to that of the post."

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is it possible to have some kind of notice when the forums aren't loading? I am at school and apparently SA is blocked. I auto-joined their wifi and when I loaded up Awful all of my bookmarks just disappeared entirely. I figured out what the problem was but I'm just wondering if the app could maybe say "hey it's not my fault, the forum itself isn't loading!"

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Chuck Bartowski posted:

It's in your options (under user CP). It's one of the most useful features I find. No idea why it's not a default.

Diabolik900 posted:

Specifically the option is "Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not" with the description "The icon can be clicked on to set the seen time to that of the post."

Holy shiiiiiiiiit that is cool. I had no idea this was there and I've been wishing they'd implement this for awhile now. Thank you both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Yeah, it's a great feature. I use it all of the time.

• Locked thread