Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So did all these ministers you encountered sit down and have a candid heart-to-heart with you where they told you they didn't believe in any of the poo poo they were saying or are you just making generalizations based on how authentic they felt to you? I will reiterate that being a hypocrite and holding contradictory beliefs does not make them not "believers." It makes them stupid, sure, but it doesn't mean they don't wholeheartedly believe in whatever they claim to believe in. Someone claiming to be a devout Christian and not following any aspect of the religion to any degree does not mean they don't fully believe they are what they say they are. Basically the only way you could definitively say someone was full of poo poo would be if they came out and told you they were or they got caught doing something they constantly tirade against, like having a homosexual relationship. You could argue that he's not as good of a Christian as he thinks he is, but I don't think you can reasonably say he doesn't actually believe in the stuff he is saying. Especially not to the degree of clowns like Limbaugh and Beck.

If you can't tell when people are obviously full of poo poo I don't know what more there is to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

I think a lot of this argument may just be misunderstanding where these beliefs come from. It doesn't really matter why any conservative pundit believes "all women are sluts". That's a pretty standard idea that's inculcated into us by society, and that core idea is what people rationalize their worldview around. When Rush was attacking Sandra Fluke, he believed that he was right to be angry, everything else is just him justifying that anger. Similarly, genuine hatred of Obama is the starting point for the opposition to all of his policies. It's a relationship of emotional reaction -> post-hoc construction of reasons for emotional reaction. Even when people do things they explicitly advocate against in public, there's usually a "the only moral [blank] is my [blank]" emotional justification for why they weren't really sinning when they had sex with that male prostitute. It's all fundamentally rooted in privilege and the belief that they have the right to act in a way others don't. I would argue that all conservative pundits, even the ones people claim are just shills like O'Reilly, harbour emotional reactions like racism in their brains, even if they don't 100% believe every talking point they spew.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

SilentD posted:

This again though really depends on where you live. I don't ever see fundies here in large numbers, they don't really exist. On the other hand militant atheists are a thing here and it's fairly easy to run into one of them, and they will read the riot act to Christians and call them all idiots. Here, they are the aggressors. I don't have to go travel all that far for the situation to be reversed though.

Really any group can behave like incredible assholes when they are the majority in that area.

That there are assholes on both sides of the political spectrum is unsurprising - and irrelevent. What matters is how much control a party gives to it's assholes.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

e: wrong thread

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think SilentD actually lives in reddit, that's the only place on Earth I can think of where you'd constantly be assaulted by militant atheists.

aka shit_that_never_happened.txt

beatlegs posted:

That there are assholes on both sides of the political spectrum is unsurprising - and irrelevent. What matters is how much control a party gives to it's assholes.

This is something hard for SilentD to grasp; that atheists are a non-factor in the Democratic party, whereas fundamentalist Christians are a driving force.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just received a barrage of IMs from a co-worker regarding the "exodus of wealthy" from the US. I'm sure you all know the drill, as it's been big news out of France recently. I couldn't think of anything better to say than, "Fine, let them go."
I would love to read an earnest discussion of this topic. What about those who leave but don't renounce their citizenship? What about those who do? Where is there to go? The Bahamas? What might they miss?

I invite any and all thoughts on this topic, as I've never really given it much credence (Leave the US? To go where?)

What are your thoughts?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

I just received a barrage of IMs from a co-worker regarding the "exodus of wealthy" from the US. I'm sure you all know the drill, as it's been big news out of France recently. I couldn't think of anything better to say than, "Fine, let them go."
I would love to read an earnest discussion of this topic. What about those who leave but don't renounce their citizenship? What about those who do? Where is there to go? The Bahamas? What might they miss?

I invite any and all thoughts on this topic, as I've never really given it much credence (Leave the US? To go where?)

What are your thoughts?

It's basically bullshit because a) people don't move around that easily, and not many countries offer the standard of living (including things like schooling for kids) that the US does, for rich people even more so, b)there's only so many beachfront mansions in tax haven countries to go around, and the vast majority of the wealthy won't have the resources to totally uproot themselves and c)the US government isn't above chasing people down like dogs to get money they perceived is owed to them. You should laugh in their face and ask whether any of them have seen the procedures to renounce US citizenship, which includes paying the taxes you owe on everything you have. You can't just up and leave with all your money, and even if people did, the productive assets of most companies still remain in the US so it's not like the the US is loosing that much anyway.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Dr. Faustus posted:

What are your thoughts?

This comes up every time a tax increase is in the air. Most rich assholes are moving to Latin America or the UAE these days it seems like. Places that are considered third world where there money makes them important. I love suggesting to these types that they move to Somalia, the only true free state, but they never do. I actually wish they would stop talking about it and just loving go galt already.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I should specify that his "plan" is that they should leave without renouncing citizenship, to avoid the exit tax.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SilentD posted:

Watch his HBO show. He spends a ton of time bashing the hell out of liberals as well and has all sorts of libertarians on and keeps agreeing with them. He'll say crap about trolling conservatives because it's easy and makes money. He has Coulter on all the time, they are close personal friends, and she'll fess up there as well. Real Time With Bill Maher, go watch some of them it's pretty entertaining to see Bill defending Coulter and talking about bashing both sides.

I thought the same too till I participated in the 2008 campaign, and coming from a fairly liberal area holy loving poo poo progressives are many times worse than conservatives. It's mind numbing, a lot of the stupidity and crazy poo poo puts birthers and the Tea Party to shame. And the people are genuinely vile and hate filled human beings.

EDIT- I think this relates to where you are. If you're in the south you probably have extremely batty conservatives and fairly normal liberals. But if you live in a more liberal area the conservatives are all normal and middle of the road types but the progressives are nutters. Here in DC it's the left with the Obama as Hitler signs and talking about how half the nation is subhuman and we should drive them all into poverty and complaining about rural moochers and takers, bashing nuclear fuel, advocating veganism to stop global warming, and how people who drive SUVs should be thrown into jail. When Obama won none of them threated to move but when a Republican does you get all sorts of talk about leaving the nation to get away from Christians or moving to Canada. The entire dynamic is turned on it's head.

2008 really opened my eyes as to where the true jackasses are.

Speaking of true jackasses, aren't you the guy that identifies as a Democrat (despite hating liberals, progressives, hippies, etc.) because liberal women are supposedly easier to gently caress?

C.C.C.P. fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 31, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

C.C.C.P. posted:

Speaking of true jackasses, aren't you the guy that identifies as a Democrat (despite hating liberals, progressives, hippies, etc.) because liberal women are supposedly easier to gently caress?

SilentD is sort of the token asshat in these forums. He says really stupid things every time he opens his mouth, but he sticks around cause he likes to be a part of the discussion. Don't take his posts too seriously.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

watt par posted:

If you can't tell when people are obviously full of poo poo I don't know what more there is to say.

I feel like this is the same logic conservatives use to justify their belief that Obama is a Muslim. I don't know, congrats on your superhuman intuition I guess.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Sword of Chomsky posted:

This comes up every time a tax increase is in the air. Most rich assholes are moving to Latin America or the UAE these days it seems like. Places that are considered third world where there money makes them important. I love suggesting to these types that they move to Somalia, the only true free state, but they never do. I actually wish they would stop talking about it and just loving go galt already.

I actually wish we'd seize their loving money on the way out as well. While I'm wishing, I'd also like to see that money go to something useful instead of adding more holes in the Middle East but thems the breaks.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I should specify that his "plan" is that they should leave without renouncing citizenship, to avoid the exit tax.

Well then his "plan" involves tax evasion, since the US government collects taxes on citizens living abroad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

None of those people are really leaving. Why would they? What's stopping them from having multiple offshore tax havens?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Not to mention that there really isn't anywhere else in the world where you can enjoy all the perks of a well developed western society with lower taxes. The only 'moving off shore' argument that holds any water is in relation to business operations and the corporate tax rate.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

watt par posted:

Never blame on malice what you can attribute to stupidity.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
Hey guys, my co-worker today had a really bizarre talking point I'm sure comes off Hannity or Limbaugh, but I'm completely unfamiliar with it. We were talking about the declining GDP of the United States (he saw fit to let me know that the GDP had declined last quarter) and he mentioned something about how "before the 1970s, the prosperity of the US was not measured by the GDP, but by how much money people had saved in their bank accounts". He tied this in some way to moving from the gold standard to the Federal Reserve or something, but he kept insisting that the US's wealth used to be calculated by somehow factoring in how much money the average person ahd in personal savings, which stands in sharp contrast to todays' measurement of "how much people spend money like there is no tomorrow" (his words). Is anyone familiar with this talking point available that can explain this to me? I'm absolutely befuddled. I looked at GNP, but it just looks like a slightly differerent measurement than GDP and has nothing to do with people saving money.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sounds more like Dave Ramsey, who is mostly harmless. His political opinions are wrong and based on falsehoods, but his show is basically all about helping people be responsible with their own money.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Finally, a Safe Space for conservatives on the internet.

quote:

By Todd Starnes

A group of conservatives is launching their own social networking site after enduring what they call years of censorship and liberal bullying on Facebook.

The Tea Party Community is expected to officially launch on Saturday – but the social networking site for conservatives has already drawn nearly 50,000 members.

“It’s a new home for conservatives and the Tea Party movement in America,” said co-founder Ken Crow. “It’s a social community just for them.”

Crow partnered with Tim Selaty Sr. and Jr. to launch the new site last November – a “safe haven for the conservative movement where we can share ideas and thoughts and express ourselves without fear of retribution.”

“Most of us are subjected to censorship on Facebook,” Crow told Fox News. “I’ve been suspended there as have many of my friends. You also absorb a lot of abuse from liberals.”

Crow and many other conservatives believe Facebook is intentionally targeting conservatives.

“There’s absolutely no question in my mind,” he said.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 31, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Finally, a place where I can call the president a jigaboo monkey witch doctor and repost Breitbart links unfettered. Because every comment section on every website in existence wasn't enough.

Eulogistics posted:

Hey guys, my co-worker today had a really bizarre talking point I'm sure comes off Hannity or Limbaugh, but I'm completely unfamiliar with it. We were talking about the declining GDP of the United States (he saw fit to let me know that the GDP had declined last quarter) and he mentioned something about how "before the 1970s, the prosperity of the US was not measured by the GDP, but by how much money people had saved in their bank accounts".

That's a bunch of goldbug kookery stemming from Nixon getting us off the gold standard.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 31, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Man, they were taunting us like hell before the election, and now they're crying and taking their ball with them afterwards?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

That place is going to get infested with trolls so freakin' quick. I mean, if the number of troll facebook accounts are any indication and I'm correct in my assumption the "tea party social network" won't have the same kind of central controls facebook has, that should be hilarious.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yes. You see, when "their" candidates get elected, it's America sending a message. When "our" candidates get elected, it's because the government is hopelessly lost and corrupt. The whole "let's start over and make a new America" idea was very pervasive within the militia community of the 1990s. It's the same now except that Obama is black and social media allows these people to have a sense of validation by posting stuff online freely.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I bet they start charging for it, too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fandyien posted:

That place is going to get infested with trolls so freakin' quick. I mean, if the number of troll facebook accounts are any indication and I'm correct in my assumption the "tea party social network" won't have the same kind of central controls facebook has, that should be hilarious.

At the very least, Somethingwful will get a new thread out of it. Probably a funny one too.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Eulogistics posted:

Hey guys, my co-worker today had a really bizarre talking point I'm sure comes off Hannity or Limbaugh, but I'm completely unfamiliar with it. We were talking about the declining GDP of the United States (he saw fit to let me know that the GDP had declined last quarter) and he mentioned something about how "before the 1970s, the prosperity of the US was not measured by the GDP, but by how much money people had saved in their bank accounts". He tied this in some way to moving from the gold standard to the Federal Reserve or something, but he kept insisting that the US's wealth used to be calculated by somehow factoring in how much money the average person ahd in personal savings, which stands in sharp contrast to todays' measurement of "how much people spend money like there is no tomorrow" (his words). Is anyone familiar with this talking point available that can explain this to me? I'm absolutely befuddled. I looked at GNP, but it just looks like a slightly differerent measurement than GDP and has nothing to do with people saving money.

I'd agree with him that 'prosperity' is not well measured by GDP. His contention seems to be that people are using it that way? Then they're wrong, I guess.

My suspicion is he's conflating measures of the health of the economy with measures of individual well being, maybe mixed in with some goldbuggery. Someone focused on a big personal responsibility kick might be pretty confused as to why everyone is glad to hear it if consumer spending is up. What is helpful to the individual doesn't necessarily entail a great economy. For example, Japan had great savings rates (which have since fallen) during a crap economy.

Also, it's silly to take the viewpoint that one particular indicator must cover everything. We do track individual spending and savings rates as well. All the things he's bitching about needing measurement are on the bea.gov website, literally the very next linked page after their link to GDP-related materials. If he thinks nobody looks at stuff like that, well, he's wrong.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yes. You see, when "their" candidates get elected, it's America sending a message. When "our" candidates get elected, it's because the government is hopelessly lost and corrupt. The whole "let's start over and make a new America" idea was very pervasive within the militia community of the 1990s. It's the same now except that Obama is black and social media allows these people to have a sense of validation by posting stuff online freely.

It's a phenomenon that's becoming more and more common in conservative America - voluntary segregation. It's a symptom of a totalitarian mindset and a refusal to accept alternative points of view. It's sad, but a sign of conservative decline.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Twisted Perspective posted:

It's a phenomenon that's becoming more and more common in conservative America - voluntary segregation. It's a symptom of a totalitarian mindset and a refusal to accept alternative points of view. It's sad, but a sign of conservative decline.

The Daily Show had a really apt metaphor the other night for conservative isolationism as being essentially a really lovely HOA

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Twisted Perspective posted:

Funnily enough, they still accuse liberals of being really close-minded and "having no idea how the world actually works."

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Eulogistics posted:

100% load of poo poo.

The only major country that did not measure growth by GDP that I can think of is the USSR, who switched to the GDP measurement with the Kosygin reform (maybe. I don't recall the exact year or term/initialism for how the Soviets measured growth, which relied specifically on raw materials produced and not the value of a product. Not GNP.)

ed

NMP, net material product.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 31, 2013

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

This is easy to laugh at but at the same time it seems like a really strange step to like... self withdraw. Is there much historical precedent or comparisons that could be made?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Heh... my local station has dropped Herman Cain for Glenn Beck. And in the evening spot where there used to be Laura Ingraham, more Glenn Beck. And also some dude I've never heard of named Andy Dean who seems to talk as much about pop culture dreck as political stuff. Also they replaced Alan Colmes with TMZ Radio lololol. Those last two surprised me at first, but now I think about it, it's pretty fitting.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Lemonus posted:

This is easy to laugh at but at the same time it seems like a really strange step to like... self withdraw. Is there much historical precedent or comparisons that could be made?

It's going to be at least an echo chamber, or possibly an actual honeypot for conservative advertisers (just like every other form of conservative media). I tried explaining to my co-worker why actually going there even as a conservative would be a very negative idea, and he seems to think that I should join so I could get the "conservative view on events while adding your [my] liberal point of view". I then asked him if he ever tried posting his conservative comments on Huffington Post articles and I think he got what I was talking about.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lemonus posted:

Conservapedia, FOX News, Drudge, homeschooling, creationist mueseums to name a few...or were you thinking of something on a larger scale and I'm missing the sarcasm?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

And also some dude I've never heard of named Andy Dean who seems to talk as much about pop culture dreck as political stuff.

Yeah...we get Andy Dean here in NE Florida and he mainly just sounds like a wannabe trying to fit in with the "cool" conservatives. Like he was made out of a mold or something and is wearing and saying the stuff that the more popular conservatives are.

It's pretty bleak. His show's not even interesting enough to make me angry.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lemonus posted:

Since they couldn't keep everyone else segregated, they decided to segregate themselves. It is actually quite a fitting, but not really new. There are all kinds of right wing only groups, they come and go from decade to decade. They tie very well into the discussion in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528385

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BiggerBoat posted:

...or were you thinking of something on a larger scale and I'm missing the sarcasm?

http://www.amazon.com/Searching-Whitopia-Improbable-Journey-America/dp/B003D7JV8Y

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BiggerBoat posted:

Conservapedia, FOX News, Drudge, homeschooling, creationist mueseums to name a few...or were you thinking of something on a larger scale and I'm missing the sarcasm?

These motherfuckers even have their own version of the Bible because some of the core philosophy of a religion founded 2,000 years ago is far too progressive for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Unzip and Attack posted:

These motherfuckers even have their own version of the Bible because some of the core philosophy of a religion founded 2,000 years ago is far too progressive for them.

Oh, thank you. This is fantastic. http://www.conservapedia.com/Word_Analysis_of_Bible