Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

DocHorror posted:

Whats interesting, though, is that the Judges don't really get anything from the current system. They have power over the citizens of MC1, but they mainly live near monk-like lives, patrolling the streets nearly 24 hrs a day. Even the Chief Judge spends all their time at work. The 'elite' aren't living lives that are enviable. They even punish their own far worse than they do the citizens (short of death of course).

That's one of the deceits(?) of a fascist regime--that the people in charge with all the power aren't all that better off than you or I the ordinary citizen (in fact they're said to lead worse lives because of the "responsibility") then when you actually go to where they actually live (not so in the Judge Dredd universe, of course) they've got massive gated mansions with huge swimming pools full of coke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

marktheando posted:

I think people overstate her disillusion because of the scene where she gives Dredd her badge- the last shot of the movie is her riding off in full judge uniform right as Dredd's voiceover says judges are the only ones holding back the chaos.
Like so much of Dredd (the comic, as well as the movie) this is an amped-up, satirical take on Dirty Harry. After getting rid of his badge, Harry at least waited until the next movie before coming back to carry on doing exactly what he'd been doing. Anderson is probably back on the bike as soon as her stitches stop itching.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

api call girl posted:

That's one of the deceits(?) of a fascist regime--that the people in charge with all the power aren't all that better off than you or I the ordinary citizen (in fact they're said to lead worse lives because of the "responsibility") then when you actually go to where they actually live (not so in the Judge Dredd universe, of course) they've got massive gated mansions with huge swimming pools full of coke.

Of course, you're operating under the presumption that being forced to live in gated mansions, with guards, guard-dogs, CCTV's, snipers, cyborgs, and with the constant paranoia and threat of being assassinated by their underlings (and possibly their superiors), is somehow outweighed by the presence of swimming pools full of coke.

Sure, they may seem to be better off, but they aren't always. Try asking Nikolai Yezhov how being the head of the NKVD worked out for him. :commissar:

Then again, it does seem to have worked out nicely for Bill Clinton. But he wasn't in charge of a fascist regime. Unlike the commies, we don't put people in prison under frivolous charges, assassinate American citizens, rewrite history, or have corruption in the government.

Alcholism Rocks fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 31, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DocHorror posted:

The long walk is their reward for a lifetime of service.

AKA a clever solution to avoid exploding pension costs over time.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Then again, it does seem to have worked out nicely for Bill Clinton. But he wasn't in charge of a fascist regime. Unlike the commies, we don't put people in prison under frivolous charges, assassinate American citizens, rewrite history, or have corruption in the government.

Uh, yeah, you do. You do all of that.

(Unless this is a joke that is careening straight over my head)

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Barry Foster posted:

Uh, yeah, you do. You do all of that.

(Unless this is a joke that is careening straight over my head)

It most certainly is.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
A handful of people had scars on their face like Ma-Ma's. Is it suppose to imply a gang affiliation, or their rank, or that they wronged Ma-Ma in such a way that this was their punishment?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Given that wronging Ma-ma tends to end with getting skinned I'm going to say one of the former, if anything.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Sinding Johansson posted:

Yes because the Judges are pretty amoral people. They don't care that she's a bleeding heart liberal because she kills just as well (maybe even better) than the rest of them. Besides, I think it's pretty clear she is rethinking her desire to be a Judge by the end of the movie. She walks away defeated. She accepts that she was disarmed [e: and so accepts she fails the test] but she isn't talking about losing her gun. She is talking about her loss of faith.
If she lost faith, I imagine it was in her own ability to do the job rather than the system itself. I'm not even sure if a psychic as powerful as she is would even be allowed to simply return to civilian life in the Dredd universe. Had she been expressing doubts about the vocation, she wouldn't have been so assertive over the last floor of the tower.

dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die

Kegluneq posted:

I'm not even sure if a psychic as powerful as she is would even be allowed to simply return to civilian life in the Dredd universe.

I don't know about PSI Judges specifically, but generally most if not all Judges take the long walk rather then join society. They basically go from policing the streets to policing the bad lands outside the city walls. They go from Robocop level justice to Mad Max level justice. Their retirement plan kind of sucks.

dirtgolem fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 31, 2013

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Physical posted:

A handful of people had scars on their face like Ma-Ma's. Is it suppose to imply a gang affiliation, or their rank, or that they wronged Ma-Ma in such a way that this was their punishment?

Judging by the way she menaced her captive hacker with a knife, I'd say they're warnings.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

h210679 posted:

I don't know about PSI Judges specifically, but generally most if not all Judges take the long walk rather then join society. They basically go from policing the streets to policing the bad lands outside the city walls. They go from Robocop level justice to Mad Max level justice. Their retirement plan kind of sucks.
Most of the Judges who took the Long Walk were captured, crucified outside the city walls and then burned alive in 'Relentless', so yeah, it's not really the way you'd hope to end a long career.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

h210679 posted:

But presumably if she failed the test, she would never have officially been a Judge, and would be just a regular psychic civilian. (I'm slowly rereading the comics, but I think rookies on their exam get a white helmet rather than the classic red-and-black. In relation to that though, have any Judges ever expressed a wish to quit in the comics?)

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Kegluneq posted:

But presumably if she failed the test, she would never have officially been a Judge, and would be just a regular psychic civilian. (I'm slowly rereading the comics, but I think rookies on their exam get a white helmet rather than the classic red-and-black. In relation to that though, have any Judges ever expressed a wish to quit in the comics?)

From the movie it seems strange she failed the test. She knows The Law and proves she's got good instincts for enforcing them. Her failure means the bar on becoming a Judge is insanely high which makes the appearance of no less then four corrupt Judges later on seem strange

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

CeeJee posted:

From the movie it seems strange she failed the test. She knows The Law and proves she's got good instincts for enforcing them. Her failure means the bar on becoming a Judge is insanely high which makes the appearance of no less then four corrupt Judges later on seem strange

4 out of what's probably a shitload of Judges isn't that much. Not to mention that Lex mentions having been on the streets of Mega-City One for 20 years, which would likely wear down even most highly-trained, trustworthy Judges to the point that they just don't give a poo poo. And maybe Ma-Ma just has good connections. We really don't know how common Judge corruption is. Just another thing I would have liked to see explored in a sequel. :( Or a TV series - does the movie feel like a really awesome, high-budget pilot to anyone else?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

CeeJee posted:

That was all entirely tied to her losing her primary weapon, which was a pretty harsh requirement - Dredd has been disarmed on a number of occasions, and the same must be true of other judges. Had she kept her pistol I suspect she'd have breezed through.

In a Case Files 01 storyline, Dredd is notorious for only ever passing one rookie prior to a character in that plot. There, he overlooked earlier incompetence when the rookie rescued a child using an extremely dangerous technique. That's a precedent (of sorts) for Dredd being flexible when it comes to the test, I guess?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
So this didn't do well enough in theaters to warrant a sequel? I like Urban and all but honestly they could have used ANYONE. The use of 3D was perfect imo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SyRauk posted:

I like Urban and all but honestly they could have used ANYONE. The use of 3D was perfect imo.

He had Oscar quality frowning in the movie and also seemed to get the nuances of the character all the way down to not taking off the helmet even between takes.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

etalian posted:

He had Oscar quality frowning in the movie and also seemed to get the nuances of the character all the way down to not taking off the helmet even between takes.

The best way I've heard it put was that his chin out-acts Stallone's entire face.

And SyRauk, yes, sadly the movie had awful box office. Though it's done well on Blu-ray/DVD/VOD. I guess word-of-mouth did work - slowly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BreakAtmo posted:

The best way I've heard it put was that his chin out-acts Stallone's entire face.

And SyRauk, yes, sadly the movie had awful box office. Though it's done well on Blu-ray/DVD/VOD. I guess word-of-mouth did work - slowly.

It also did not help that where it was played it had three 3d showings to 1 2d. While the 3d was awesome that did not seem like a good idea.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

It also did not help that where it was played it had three 3d showings to 1 2d. While the 3d was awesome that did not seem like a good idea.

Yeah, the 3D was neat but it kinda reinforced the notion of "yet another cash-grab superhero movie" for a lot of people not familiar with the comics. The lack of marketing didn't help to dispell that either.

Speaking of 3D, was it only me or did they gently caress around with it during the mind-read sequences with Anderson? Those had a somewhat disorienting effect on me the first time I saw them.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

well why not posted:

Judging by the way she menaced her captive hacker with a knife, I'd say they're warnings.
Also, that wasn't her son was it?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kegluneq posted:

That was all entirely tied to her losing her primary weapon, which was a pretty harsh requirement - Dredd has been disarmed on a number of occasions, and the same must be true of other judges. Had she kept her pistol I suspect she'd have breezed through.

As I pointed out, the fact that Judge guns are designed to blow up if someone else tries to use them means that Judges getting their guns taken away from them is a common enough circumstance that it's hedged against.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Payndz posted:

I've decided that so long as the bidding doesn't reach insane money levels, I'm going to bid on a Judge's helmet. Because LAWWWWWW.

I've got one of these (skip to 1:16). With the chinbar up and the sun visor down it's kind of a poor man's Judge helmet.

Just watched the movie tonight (non-comic reader, think I might have caught the Stallone one on Sci-fi back in the day), echoing that it was better than expected. I could watch Karl Urban's mouth mean-mugging all day.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the 3D was neat but it kinda reinforced the notion of "yet another cash-grab superhero movie" for a lot of people not familiar with the comics. The lack of marketing didn't help to dispell that either.

Speaking of 3D, was it only me or did they gently caress around with it during the mind-read sequences with Anderson? Those had a somewhat disorienting effect on me the first time I saw them.

I thought this too. It looked like they messed with the depth on people's faces. Not the most impressive effect, didn't do a lot for me, but it gets points for trying something new, at least.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alchenar posted:

As I pointed out, the fact that Judge guns are designed to blow up if someone else tries to use them means that Judges getting their guns taken away from them is a common enough circumstance that it's hedged against.

This isn't exactly Dredd chat, but I thought it was interesting how in the tv show Continuum they have a female cop that acts a lot like Judge Dredd, and partly like Anderson since she never wears a helmet for some reason. Even down to performing her job even when she doesn't really even have to do that anymore. (And she also seems to have a weapon that kills unknown users.)

Canada seems to produce some good sci-fi stuff. I miss the good old days when they were cranking out episodes of Lexx. Sure, it wasn't the best show ever made, but I liked it. More than that other sci-fi show featuring a bunch of aliens stuck on a spaceship. Nowadays I have to settle* for Doctor Who when I want that kind of fix.

* The word "settle" should not be interpreted as being part of a negative comment in reference to Doctor Who. It's just hard to find a decent sci-fi tv show nowadays.

Alcholism Rocks fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 31, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

CeeJee posted:

Four corrupt judges who repeatedly mention that Dredd is one of the best and has higher standards of quality than most judges. Plus the two we see down at the base of Peachtrees, who aren't corrupt, are pretty gullible and incompetent. The Judge system isn't nearly as inviolate as Dredd says it is. He's the Serpico of the Judges.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

Four corrupt judges who repeatedly mention that Dredd is one of the best and has higher standards of quality than most judges. Plus the two we see down at the base of Peachtrees, who aren't corrupt, are pretty gullible and incompetent. The Judge system isn't nearly as inviolate as Dredd says it is. He's the Serpico of the Judges.

Plus the fact that Dredd immediately sniffs these guys out as being corrupt seems to show that it's not a particularly unique occurrence.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Plus the fact that Dredd immediately sniffs these guys out as being corrupt seems to show that it's not a particularly unique occurrence.

Well, I somehow doubt that Dredd has the time to evaluate all the rookies and make sure they are up to his standards. Not everyone can be as perfect as Chief Judge Fargo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Well, I somehow doubt that Dredd has the time to evaluate all the rookies and make sure they are up to his standards. Not everyone can be as perfect as Chief Judge Fargo.

Yes, that's correct. Him evaluating Anderson is obviously a special case. I'm not saying he's not a total hardass, I'm just saying that from the looks of things, this is something he's dealt with before.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yes, that's correct. Him evaluating Anderson is obviously a special case. I'm not saying he's not a total hardass, I'm just saying that from the looks of things, this is something he's dealt with before.

Purely out of curiosity, is it possible when Dredd was first introduced to Anderson, the other Judge could have been lying about how Anderson failed or nearly failed some of her tests? I would think if she really did suck that badly they wouldn't have paired her up with the best of the best because it would virtually guarantee her failure.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Purely out of curiosity, is it possible when Dredd was first introduced to Anderson, the other Judge could have been lying about how Anderson failed or nearly failed some of her tests? I would think if she really did suck that badly they wouldn't have paired her up with the best of the best because it would virtually guarantee her failure.
It's possible, but I'm not really sure what the point would be, from the perspective of the Chief Judge.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I figured that the Chief Judge paired her with Dredd because she thought Dredd could bring out the best in her, and because her psychic powers make her such an asset to the force, they really needed a win on this one.

(Do we need to spoiler the setup of the film - i.e. the circumstances of Dredd and Anderson's pairing up? It's established in the first few minutes of the movie.)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I just thought that since passing her in spite of failing the tests would be a pretty serious breach of protocol, the only way they could justify that is by having her get passed by the most hardass Judge around whose judgement is considered beyond reproach. Kind of like "if we're breaking the rules, let's at least do so properly."

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Alchenar posted:

A lot of Judges also die on the job, so it may help discourage looting (fat chance).

Hewlett posted:

I figured that the Chief Judge paired her with Dredd because she thought Dredd could bring out the best in her, and because her psychic powers make her such an asset to the force, they really needed a win on this one.
I think it would be more accurate to say that she wanted the absolute most accurate assessment of her ability, and Dredd could be relied upon most in that regard..

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's more quickly noticing how the corrupt judge's story didn't line up.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Why are we spoilering so much stuff from the movie? I thought that was all comic book stuff and skipped over it.

Judges are expected to interpret and apply the law in the way they think is best. She failed the test test, but demonstrated way higher than that. To rule her out just because of the test would be an obvious waste. Dredd, just like the Cheif J, was won over by her. Given the events in the movie, she demonstrated critical thinking in their duties and accurately recited the law.

penismightier posted:

I didn't even realize that this was a theme that I latched on to and why I liked the movie so much. With Dredd's opening narration, the movie starts you off to think that The Law and Judges are almost omnipotent. But just like current law enforcement wants to project, it is actually inadequate and incompetent. Judges are still people, they aren't infallible. Because of that, society is just as bad as it is now, has always been, and will continue to be in the future and for all human history. People have always acted this way. It's a theme that also runs through Venture Bros and is another reason I like it. Oh, and The Incredibles. The Guild of Calamitous Intent for example, a union like the UAW for evil villains. The real life logistics of super-hero/super-villainy.

(Slight tanget: maybe Anderson actually is brianwashing them via physic powers, but that is totally unfounded in anything from the movie except that she is psyhcic).

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Physical posted:

(Slight tanget: maybe Anderson actually is brianwashing them via physic powers, but that is totally unfounded in anything from the movie except that she is psyhcic).

Maybe this is the real reason Dredd never takes off his helmet in the movie. :freep:

Maybe we should come to some sort of agreement as to what should and shouldn't be spoilered...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
http://www.geeknative.com/37289/judge-dredd-might-be-gay-but-are-fans-really-threatening-to-burn-the-comic/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Neo Rasa posted:

http://www.geeknative.com/37289/judge-dredd-might-be-gay-but-are-fans-really-threatening-to-burn-the-comic/

Here's the URL for the link; for some reason, you can't click on hyperlinks if they're spoilered.

• Locked thread