Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fancy Hat! posted:

So, I was thinking of making my Avatar +Magic and -HP, I was debating speed, but I'm sure I'd want my guy to cover more ground, and since I'm planning for her to be a mage she'll be attacking from afar most of the time anyhow. How much of a difference does it make in the long run, and should I consider taking a negative in another stat?

Speed is Fire Emblem's Uber-stat as it is the primary factor in your unit's ability to damage enemies, through double attacking, and their ability to dodge/prevent enemies from double attacking them. Picking Magic as your best stat actually adds to your Speed and Resistance as well as your magic, by about half as much. If you want to totally focus on magical attacks, taking Strength as your worst stat might be better than tanking your defensive stuff. Luck is also the least penalizing overall because it spreads the negavitves over a variety of stats instead of concentrating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I've narrowed down my favourite characters to Gregor and Vaike.

:black101:"Teach just got tenure!"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Speed is a lot less important in Awakening, it looks like from calculations.

Making the Double Attack threshold 5 made it a lot harder to double attack.

Skill seems to be a very important stat though. It deals with Skill activation rates (And skills are pretty powerful) as well a Dual Strike and Support Block activation.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I like the change to the double attack formula. Characters with overkill speed like myrmidons and peg knights will still double on a regular basis while your slower units won't be as doubled as much.

I'm kind of a fan of the Con/weight system in the GBA games, but I can understand removing weapon weight makes the game a lot harder. It benefits enemies more than your army.

ElCrims
Jan 29, 2013
I was debating whether to buy drugs or Awakening, so I decided to download the demo. That first-person thing sold me instantly. I'm sure it's just a dumb gimmick I'm going to get tired of pretty soon, but for now I'm convinced that it's the games best new feature.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Fisher King posted:

So, is there a list of the voice actors for the male and female avatars? I know people have mentioned them off and on throughout the thread, but just a straight up list would be handy.

The Japanese version at least gave full voice-acting credits, so presumably the english version will as well.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Retail releases go up at midnight.

Midnight in your local timezone? Or like PST or EST?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

ElCrims posted:

I was debating whether to buy drugs or Awakening, so I decided to download the demo. That first-person thing sold me instantly. I'm sure it's just a dumb gimmick I'm going to get tired of pretty soon, but for now I'm convinced that it's the games best new feature.

I feel dumb for thinking this, but I'm pretty excited to see what that's like for the flying characters.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

boxcarhobo posted:

Presumably Midnight PST, seeing as that's where NoA is based.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

boxcarhobo posted:

PST, sorry.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

boxcarhobo posted:

I think EST. I'm on EST and the Eshop always updates at noon here.

What do I exactly buy if I want to put credit on the 3DS account. I can't find anything on amazon except Wii/DSi 2000 point cards. Do those work on the 3DS? I don't want to use a credit card.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

boxcarhobo posted:

It was midnight EST (my local time) when I was able to get Professor Layton off the eShop, so it's either that or your local time. Definitely not just PST.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
What where did my monocle + pink afro go?

why do you do this to me IntSys

Anyway I feel like I'm going to regret choosing skill as a flaw. It's typically a dump stat but...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

In the second sidequest/paralogue/whatever Do I lock myself out of recruiting Anna if she dies here? I'm having trouble saving her without resorting to a Fredrick rush.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

In the second sidequest/paralogue/whatever Do I lock myself out of recruiting Anna if she dies here? I'm having trouble saving her without resorting to a Fredrick rush.

That's a different Anna, but save her anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

No, that's a different Anna from the one you recruit later.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Lord Ephraim posted:

I think EST. I'm on EST and the Eshop always updates at noon here.

What do I exactly buy if I want to put credit on the 3DS account. I can't find anything on amazon except Wii/DSi 2000 point cards. Do those work on the 3DS? I don't want to use a credit card.

Wii/DSi points do not work with the eShop. I've looked online and I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't offer a way to get credit for eShop on the internet just yet, just pick up a card at a Best Buy or Gamestop.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Cake Attack posted:

Spoilers regarding a recruitable character's recruitment condition, no story spoilers.

Since you can finish submission 4, where you recruit her, before submission 2, I'm guessing it's unrelated. I've never done that, though.

e;f,b

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Alright thanks. Admittedly, that only buys me an extra turn to reach the village, but I think I can work that easier.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vince Videogames posted:

Wii/DSi points do not work with the eShop. I've looked online and I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't offer a way to get credit for eShop on the internet just yet.

There are 3DS and 3DS/Wii U pre-paid cards actually. They're even floating around in stores.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/01/fire-emblem-awakening-review-3ds.html

This review is pretty amazing. I dunno, am I biased or is this just hating on the game for being a Fire Emblem game.

e: VV I know. I know. But you should still read it if only for the criticism that FE has a byzantine interface.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 31, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

SC Bracer posted:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/01/fire-emblem-awakening-review-3ds.html

This review is pretty amazing. I dunno, am I biased or is this just hating on the game for being a Fire Emblem game.

I stopped reading when the "journalist" cited Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 as a good game that other SRPGs should emulate.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Regardless of the questionable assertions, factual inaccuracies, and low score, that dude's prose is a crime against language. I cannot believe he gets paid for this poo poo.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Nobody read that review. In addition to being lovely it gives some details about the game's ending.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zurai posted:

I stopped reading when the "journalist" cited Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 as a good game that other SRPGs should emulate.

What a load of pegasus dung.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Alright thanks. Admittedly, that only buys me an extra turn to reach the village, but I think I can work that easier.

Now that I say that, she survives but the village gets destroyed :argh:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I went to Gamestop for the first time in a long time to preorder the game and get the artbook preorder bonus, but apparently gamestop has SOLD OUT of preorders. Thought that sucked so I'm just going to add money to my 3DS account wait for it to go up on the store.

E: Well I probably should have been reading the thread since I missed this whole clusterfuck. Called 2 other gamestops to see if they had broken the street date but no dice (TX). Oh well I guess I'll have to wait til Monday?

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 31, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

I didn’t make any tactical mistakes, but the opponents Luck stat kicked in and caused a critical or double hit, or my character’s Easy Target stat flared up and drew some unexpected fire.
:psyboom:

He has a couple of good points like what characters can reclass into what being a bit obtuse, but jesus. "I didn't make any tactical mistakes, except leaving a squishy unit in front of the enemies! PS: I named my avatar buttfart lol"

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 31, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What a mature and rational thinker.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Man, they revealed that Marth is a women way earlier then I thought they would. No wonder the advertising didn't really hide it. Especially because she wasn't fooling anybody :v:.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The Japanese voice is less obvious about it, but it seems like that's usually the case in these circumstances.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wow what an idiot.

He does realize that making movement and attack animations separate helps smooth out play, right?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

So for all you that have the game, have you ran into any streetpass teams? I've ran into two now but I haven't streetpassed anyone. Real bizarre.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

neongrey posted:

The Japanese voice is less obvious about it, but it seems like that's usually the case in these circumstances.

Every time I've heard "the Japanese voice is less obvious about it" it ends up turning out being some Japanese woman trying too hard to do what she thinks is a manly or even boyish voice.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I found this but I'm not sure if it's right:
Males (Travis Willingham, Dave Wittenberg, Tony Oliver, James Arnold Taylor)
Females (Amanda Winn Lee, Kate Higgins, Jennifer Hale, Barbara Goodson)

I do know at the very least Jennifer Hale is in fact one of the voices of the female My Unit. Between that and the fact that only women get an eyepatch option, I think I have to roll up a lady.

David Earnest is the only voice you can choose in the demo too for the male character.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

So for all you that have the game, have you ran into any streetpass teams? I've ran into two now but I haven't streetpassed anyone. Real bizarre.

I ran into one guy who seemed to already be at the end of the game with his team.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There are some computer generated teams I think.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads-up for compulsive resetters: L+R+Start functions as a quick reset, you don't have to manually close/restart via the home menu or whatever.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Every time I've heard "the Japanese voice is less obvious about it" it ends up turning out being some Japanese woman trying too hard to do what she thinks is a manly or even boyish voice.

Could be they're trying to make the ambiguous gender thing plausible. Romi Park for instance is far more convincing with the dude voice with Edward Elric in FMA than she is with Naoto in P4.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just say the mask is Magic and changes voices, it's not that hard writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zurai posted:

"Fire Emblem: Awakening can be a library of ticketless panics" has to be one the stupidest goddamn sentences I've read in a long while

• Locked thread