Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absinthe
Jan 9, 2004

Colonel Sanders posted:

Have you tried booting with the windows 7 hard drive unplugged? This could potentially be a really odd error with your CD drive, I would attempt booting from a USB drive. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ can createa USB drive for you, there are also directions on the Ubuntu website, but in my opinion that program is easier. Have you verified the ISO that you downloaded? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

I tried booting from USB, no dice. Tried using Unetbootin and booted from my hard drive, again same kernel panic. Ran checksums and all that. I said gently caress it and tried Arch. Arch works fine, and I'm posting from it now. Would really like to get back to Ubuntu though - this is the strangest error I've ever faced. I'm beginning to wonder if the kernel that the 12.10 livecd is using is somehow abhorrent to my system.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I have a Thinkpad W510 recently upgraded to 12.10, and I've noticed that I can no longer change my LCD backlight brightness from within the GUI. During boot up, I can change the brightness around, but once it gets into X, it seems that brighntess controls no longer work. I had this problem a couple years ago when I first got this computer, and I can't remember what I ever had to do to fix it(or maybe some software update fixed it).

The weird thing is I can switch to virtual console with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then do brightness controls from there, and switch back to X and it sticks, but this is a bit kludgy. When I press the brightness buttons within X, i actually get the OSD for brightness settings and it shows the brighness bar moving, but the actual brightness doesn't change until I'm back at a console. Also I'm using Cinnamon desktop if that matters. Any ideas why this brightness setting is so flaky?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

peepsalot posted:

I have a Thinkpad W510 recently upgraded to 12.10, and I've noticed that I can no longer change my LCD backlight brightness from within the GUI. During boot up, I can change the brightness around, but once it gets into X, it seems that brighntess controls no longer work. I had this problem a couple years ago when I first got this computer, and I can't remember what I ever had to do to fix it(or maybe some software update fixed it).

The weird thing is I can switch to virtual console with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then do brightness controls from there, and switch back to X and it sticks, but this is a bit kludgy. When I press the brightness buttons within X, i actually get the OSD for brightness settings and it shows the brighness bar moving, but the actual brightness doesn't change until I'm back at a console. Also I'm using Cinnamon desktop if that matters. Any ideas why this brightness setting is so flaky?

What graphics card?

http://massivecoding.blogspot.com/2012/06/lenovo-t410-nvidia-display-brightness.html

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Thanks, it's the NVIDIA Corporation GT216 [Quadro FX 880M] and that worked.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone have recommendations for guides installing OpenVPN on server 12.04?

I want to route my home connection thru my server but the Google is turning up different specifics for each guide.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

OpenVPN website? It did get worse after going commercial but still appears hidden within:

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a newbie to Linux and I'm outright loving the customization I can do with it, most prior distro have turned me off almost immediately within hours of installing.

I have a question about the WebApp integration that is in Ubuntu 12.04/12.10. Is it possible to run them through Google Chrome rather than Chromium as is currently intended? Chromium is loving unstable as all hell and spews out error messages and crashes a lot on trivial stuff like Youtube. Far as I'm able to read Google Chrome and Chromium share a code base and features are interchangeable as Chromium is the Opensource test bed and Google Chrome is the polished browser. The other major point between Chrome and Chromium is apparently Chrome has Flash built in whereas Chromium uses some open source hackjob.

I saw some Youtube video of some heavily lisping WebApp dev saying that it technically would work and was submitted to Google but they don't test under Google Chrome. In theory it should work by just yanking the extensions out of one and placing it into the other?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone else running 12.04 on a Mac?

I installed it on my 2010 Macbook Air and everything pretty much works perfectly out of the box. Used a USB drive that I dd'd the ISO to, installed rEFIt and it dual-boots as easy as on a PC.

Touchpad is super-sensitve and the wifi is a little buggy (lags on startup and magically lost the network twice), but the CPU clocks down and the brightness etc keys work.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
Anybody here use Wallch as their wallpaper changer?

Ubuntu has a neat feature, where your desktop background shows up on the login screen: when you select your account on the login screen, it changes the background to yours.

Wallch worked with this feature: the last background I had show up the last time I was logged in would show up on the login screen. But it broke just a few weeks ago. Now it only displays the default logon screen background. I have no idea what broke it.

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 6, 2013

bittey
Jul 22, 2012

Money & Charm

YouTuber posted:

I'm a newbie to Linux and I'm outright loving the customization I can do with it, most prior distro have turned me off almost immediately within hours of installing.

I have a question about the WebApp integration that is in Ubuntu 12.04/12.10. Is it possible to run them through Google Chrome rather than Chromium as is currently intended? Chromium is loving unstable as all hell and spews out error messages and crashes a lot on trivial stuff like Youtube. Far as I'm able to read Google Chrome and Chromium share a code base and features are interchangeable as Chromium is the Opensource test bed and Google Chrome is the polished browser. The other major point between Chrome and Chromium is apparently Chrome has Flash built in whereas Chromium uses some open source hackjob.

I saw some Youtube video of some heavily lisping WebApp dev saying that it technically would work and was submitted to Google but they don't test under Google Chrome. In theory it should work by just yanking the extensions out of one and placing it into the other?

Have you tried going on the Google Chrome page and downloading the .deb package?
http://www.google.com/chrome

If you're looking for the actual differences between Chromium and Chrome, the two are about 99% the same, except...
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome
However, keep in mind that Chromium development is ahead of Chrome's by months, so be sure to check the version numbers.
On the same versions of Chrome and Chromium, extensions will work the same.

bittey fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 6, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone else running 12.04 on a Mac?

I installed it on my 2010 Macbook Air and everything pretty much works perfectly out of the box. Used a USB drive that I dd'd the ISO to, installed rEFIt and it dual-boots as easy as on a PC.

Touchpad is super-sensitve and the wifi is a little buggy (lags on startup and magically lost the network twice), but the CPU clocks down and the brightness etc keys work.

I'm running it (Xubuntu 12.04) on a fairly old Macbook 2,1 with no problems whatsoever. Brightness and volume keys work without issue and the touchpad is fine. I never tested the firewire or the video outputs, however. Have you?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I'm running it (Xubuntu 12.04) on a fairly old Macbook 2,1 with no problems whatsoever. Brightness and volume keys work without issue and the touchpad is fine. I never tested the firewire or the video outputs, however. Have you?

Video out works fine, I can have two separate desktops. Compiz RAM seems to go through the roof (1.7GB?) though.

Don't have firewire ports or devices so I can't speak for those.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
How would I go about installing Ubuntu on an external USB drive? Not a pendrive/USB stick (I know about pendrivelinux), but a full blown external USB drive. I looked around a bit but couldn't find much information, maybe it's really obvious/simple and I'm not seeing it.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Markovnikov posted:

How would I go about installing Ubuntu on an external USB drive? Not a pendrive/USB stick (I know about pendrivelinux), but a full blown external USB drive. I looked around a bit but couldn't find much information, maybe it's really obvious/simple and I'm not seeing it.

Just select the external drive as the installation target when running the usual installer. You'll probably also want to make sure to have grub install to the external drive as well (it should be an alternative during installation).

You can install to sticks like this as well, works perfectly fine.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

This might not be the right thread for this question, but here goes:

I have a scan of a lab notebook, saved as a pdf, and I would like use it as an example for one of my classes. To maintain my student's anonymity I would like to censor her name from the pdf. What's the best way to do this? I'm posting this here because I'm running Ubuntu and would like to avoid installing Adobe if possible (also I didn't see a "stupid questions megathread" for software).

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

VikingofRock posted:

I have a scan of a lab notebook, saved as a pdf, and I would like use it as an example for one of my classes. To maintain my student's anonymity I would like to censor her name from the pdf. What's the best way to do this? I'm posting this here because I'm running Ubuntu and would like to avoid installing Adobe if possible (also I didn't see a "stupid questions megathread" for software).

Inkscape is probably a good tool for this.

There's also Xournal, which is allright for editing/annotating PDFs - but I'm not sure if it easily lets you completely erase elements from the PDF.

edit:
vvv I totally missed the "scan" bit. Gimp is much better in that case, yeah vvv

kujeger fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 28, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

You could also open it in GIMP and edit it, and then save it to a PNG since it's kind of senseless to save a scan as a PDF. PDF just saves images as another image format (usually JPEG) inside the PDF file AFAIK

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I need to get a linux partition set up for some development stuff. Right now I have an SSD running Windows and big HDD for data (with some empty space for linux). What's the best way to install Linux on that bit of the HDD without getting in the way of my normal Windows booting? Ideally I'd just get a quick GRUB screen that defaults to Windows or (even better) use the nice new Windows 8 bootloader.

Also, I remember hearing stuff a while back about using VMWare or VirtualBox to load up a partition as a virtual machine too (so you can boot in or visualize)? Anyone have experience with this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mmm11105 posted:

I need to get a linux partition set up for some development stuff. Right now I have an SSD running Windows and big HDD for data (with some empty space for linux). What's the best way to install Linux on that bit of the HDD without getting in the way of my normal Windows booting? Ideally I'd just get a quick GRUB screen that defaults to Windows or (even better) use the nice new Windows 8 bootloader.

Also, I remember hearing stuff a while back about using VMWare or VirtualBox to load up a partition as a virtual machine too (so you can boot in or visualize)? Anyone have experience with this?

Just use VirtualBox - it's free and you don't need to risk borking your system by installing another OS and trying to dual-boot.

VBox will run an ISO right from your HD, you don't even need to burn it to a DVD/USB stick.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

You could also open it in GIMP and edit it, and then save it to a PNG since it's kind of senseless to save a scan as a PDF. PDF just saves images as another image format (usually JPEG) inside the PDF file AFAIK

This worked perfectly. Thanks for the advice! :cheers:

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Got Ubuntu up in a VM, but experiencing some issues do to my own stupidity. I was doing some rails development and accidentally installed postres-xc instead of the normal postgres package. I immediately went to remove postgres-xc, but apt-get will not uninstall it. I also tried installing the regular postgres, but it fails the same way.

sudo apt-get remove postgres-xc output:
code:
  Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  comerr-dev krb5-multidev libgraphics-magick-perl libgraphicsmagick++1-dev 
  libgraphicsmagick++3 libgraphicsmagick1-dev libgraphicsmagick3 libgssrpc4 
  libkadm5clnt-mit8 libkadm5srv-mit8
  libkdb5-6 libkrb5-dev libpq-dev libpq5 libssl-dev libssl-doc linux-headers-3.5.0-17
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  postgres-xc
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 17.1 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
(Reading database ... 217256 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing postgres-xc ...
 * Stopping Postgres-XC datanodes         [ OK ] 
 * Stopping Postgres-XC coordinators       [fail] 
invoke-rc.d: initscript postgres-xc, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing postgres-xc (--remove):
 subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
 * Starting Postgres-XC global transaction management daemons                [ OK ] 
 * Starting Postgres-XC coordinators                                        [ OK ] 
 * Starting Postgres-XC datanodes                                          [ OK ] 
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 postgres-xc
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I've discovered that it is at least partially uninstalling, as I cannot install anything else without using apt-get -f install to repair it.

Also seems to be a known issue

Postgres-xc won't uninstall (Fails on Stopping Co-ordinators) https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postgres-xc/+bug/1084849

Is there anyway I can manually get it off my install.

EDIT: Using dpkg --purge worked, thanks Google. Ignore the above

mmm11105 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 30, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure if this was asked before, but can Ubuntu be installed via a formatted partition on an external hard drive? I know there is a way to format a USB stick to use as a boot device to install Ubuntu, but can it also be done with a partitioned section on an external hard drive (which connects by USB, if that changes anything)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

I'm not sure if this was asked before, but can Ubuntu be installed via a formatted partition on an external hard drive? I know there is a way to format a USB stick to use as a boot device to install Ubuntu, but can it also be done with a partitioned section on an external hard drive (which connects by USB, if that changes anything)?

Works fine

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I have a Thinkpad T430s headed my way and I have an mSATA SSD that I'll be putting Ubuntu on. Are there any active steps I need to take to make sure the SSD is being handled properly (turning on TRIM or whatever)? Will the installer handle everything I need it to? Is there a best-choice filesystem to use?

fourwood fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 31, 2013

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just installed a bevy of updates and restarted, now there's a ton of blinking pixels in the top left of my monitor! Using nVidia proprietary drivers btw. Screenshot attached. Any ideas?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I just inadvertently became a Linux-only person. A month ago my desktop finally died. A few days ago, my laptop kicked the bucket leaving me with a netbook that I loaded Ubuntu 12.10 on for kicks. It's weird having to no-poo poo learn how to use Linux tools to do everything I want to do.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
My Linux is confused.

I installed 12.10, which we all know is a shameful linux, so I promptly got rid of it. I then installed 12.04.

But it refuses to acknowledge that I have a wireless adapter. This is weird because 12.10 recognized it right away and could use it just fine. I can find the adapter via lsusb, but the os doesn't seem to know how to use it. I have tried fruitlessly to find a way to get it to work. Can anyone help me out? I have a TP-Link WN722N wifi adapter which has an AR9271 chipset.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ViggyNash posted:

My Linux is confused.

I installed 12.10, which we all know is a shameful linux, so I promptly got rid of it. I then installed 12.04.

But it refuses to acknowledge that I have a wireless adapter. This is weird because 12.10 recognized it right away and could use it just fine. I can find the adapter via lsusb, but the os doesn't seem to know how to use it. I have tried fruitlessly to find a way to get it to work. Can anyone help me out? I have a TP-Link WN722N wifi adapter which has an AR9271 chipset.
Are you able to plug in temporarily and update 12.04? The driver for your wireless has likely been backported but isn't yet on the CD image (a new CD Image, 12.04.2, comes out on the 20th)

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

ShadowHawk posted:

Are you able to plug in temporarily and update 12.04? The driver for your wireless has likely been backported but isn't yet on the CD image (a new CD Image, 12.04.2, comes out on the 20th)

I installed 12.04 using the exact same wireless (TP-Link WN722N) he's using without any issues. It should be recognized. And sorry, ViggyNash, I have no idea how to fix that.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

There's nothing particularly wrong with 12.10, by the way. If you're opposed to the shopping lens or online results in the dash it's pretty easy to turn it off permanently.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Or just install gnome-shell and be done with it. Screw the haters, I like stock gnome3. :colbert:

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

I hated Unity at first, but now that I've been using it for a while, I've come to like it. One thing I do miss is having a global menu with a list of all installed programs. There's been a few times where I couldn't remember a program's name, but a listing of installed programs by category would have gotten me to what I wanted. I know Unity has the ability to filter the Dash results, but this requires far more clicks and time than other desktop environments. Or sometimes I've forgotten that I installed a particular program, go to install it, and discover I already did sometime in the past.

I think I'd be happy with something as simple as what Gentoo does with the Portage world file (/var/lib/portage/world), which is just a simple list of all user installed packages.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

ratbert90 posted:

Or just install gnome-shell and be done with it. Screw the haters, I like stock gnome3. :colbert:

I've said it before in the thread, but I totally agree here. I didn't hate Unity, but Gnome3 has gotten way better since launch. If you haven't tried it since around the time it came out, give it another shot. I haven't had any major bugs in the last several releases, and it works great now.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yep, ratbert90's post convinced me to try Gnome3 and I love it. Way more intuitive than Unity for me. A lot more like a `real' desktop environment, whatever that means. It's just different, and nice :-)

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Is it reasonable to get a current Gnome3 desktop in Ubuntu? Or what's the best Gnome3 setup on a Debian-based system?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

fourwood posted:

Is it reasonable to get a current Gnome3 desktop in Ubuntu? Or what's the best Gnome3 setup on a Debian-based system?

It's extremely easy. Install Ubuntu (if you don't have it already). Then sudo apt-get install gnome

That's it.

EDIT: Oh, one last thing. 12.04 has 3.4, whereas 12.10 is upgraded to 3.6. 3.4 seems perfectly usable to me, but if you want the latest and greatest, install 12.10.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 16, 2013

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
12.04.2 CD images are available.

Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Xubuntu

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is there some kind of plugin so I can check a website for spyware before I direct other people there? I teach ESL and I want my students to search for song lyrics and poo poo and I don't want to send idiots to their doom. I know it's their responsibility but I'd like to send them to less bad places. I use Chrome (mostly or also Firefox) in 12.04.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

greazeball posted:

Is there some kind of plugin so I can check a website for spyware before I direct other people there? I teach ESL and I want my students to search for song lyrics and poo poo and I don't want to send idiots to their doom. I know it's their responsibility but I'd like to send them to less bad places. I use Chrome (mostly or also Firefox) in 12.04.

Are you worried about drive-by-downloads for Windows users or other Ubuntu users?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

Are you worried about drive-by-downloads for Windows users or other Ubuntu users?

Sorry, I really wasn't clear. I'd like to check if websites are dangerous for Windows users from my ubuntu machine.

• Locked thread