Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Decius posted:

Do you mean that Palpatine did all his evil, fascist, racist stuff only for *~*The Greater Good*~* to protect the galaxy against the Vong? Because that's the worst thing to have come out of the whole EU in my opinion. Can't have an evil guy just being evil for evil's sake. No, he has to have some greater reason to overthrow a democracy. And Genghis Khan killed dozens of millions to foster more trade between Europe and Asia.

Grey man shades of grey anti-heroes no good or evil just different sides :rolleyes:

I loved Traitor but dear lord does that route turn to poo poo in the hands of hack writers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Conquering the Republic to present a united front when the Yuzhaan Vong arrive is a workable plot when somebody like Thrawn is the one trying to execute it, but it doesn't really fit with what had been established about Palpatine, whose main motivation was self-interest.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Look, if you just took a thousand years to bring about the culmination of some long Xanatos gambit to rule the galaxy, your self interest is going to involve also defending your new conquest against external threats.

(But yes, also loving hacks)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

WhyteRyce posted:

Grey man shades of grey anti-heroes no good or evil just different sides :rolleyes:

This is why KOTOR II is actually a terrible game with terrible unlikable characters.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Longbaugh01 posted:

Does it ultimately weaken Palpatine's through-line as a character, or make it stronger when taking the entire...canon into account?

It's laughable to imagine that he foresaw a universe-ending catastrophe that he strove to avoid, and yet died because, despite him knowing that Vader was trying to use Luke to overthrow him, he brought both those people alone to his throne room, with no guards anywhere, and then died when Vader literally picked him up, walked across a room, and dropped him down an elevator shaft.

Epi Lepi posted:

This is why KOTOR II is actually a terrible game with terrible unlikable characters.

KOTOR II had hack writers?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Decius posted:

Do you mean that Palpatine did all his evil, fascist, racist stuff only for *~*The Greater Good*~* to protect the galaxy against the Vong? Because that's the worst thing to have come out of the whole EU in my opinion. Can't have an evil guy just being evil for evil's sake. No, he has to have some greater reason to overthrow a democracy. And Genghis Khan killed dozens of millions to foster more trade between Europe and Asia.

Right. The two-part Clone Wars episode about the Godzilla-esque monster is perfect for doing Palpatine right. Everything he does in that episode he does because it's evil and he loves it. It has some of the best Palpatine moments in the whole EU; scientific research on an intelligent being, forcing a scientist into unethical research, making the Jedi kill an innocent, and of course turning a giant monster loose in downtown Coruscant. All pure evil, all done for the love of the game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Palpatine is all about RULE THE EMPIRE EVERY DAY, hitting on chicks as well as loving with the Jedi. Nothing more deeper than that with him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a little known fact that the real reason Palpatine quarantined Dathomir was that he was afraid William T. Riker would discover it and use it to challenge his title as the universe's number-one space pimp.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
So basically, it may have been a much better concept if it had had better execution by capable writers, and had been divorced from the character of Palpatine.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Longbaugh01 posted:

So basically, it may have been a much better concept if it had had better execution by capable writers, and had been divorced from the character of Palpatine.

The entire concept itself doesn't really exist in the EU. The closest thing that comes to it is that one sourcebook suggests Palpatine used the possibility of extra-galactic invasion as a bogus reason to justify building up the Empire's military during the peacetime after the Clone Wars. The recent Essential Guide to Warfare outright states that the "Palpatine created the Empire to defend against the Yuuzhan Vong" is a fringe neo-Imperial piece of propaganda/conspiracy theory. Other than those two things, the theory more comes from fans than anything in the actual EU itself.

There's a lot of poo poo in the EU, but I do think this is one area where it takes flak for something that, for once, it doesn't actually do.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think a lot of people make the presumption based on the fact that Palpatine was in contact with the Ssi-Ruuk before The Truce At Bakura and told them they could have a bunch of planets in the Outer Rim if they shared their entechment technology with him.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

I think a lot of people make the presumption based on the fact that Palpatine was in contact with the Ssi-Ruuk before The Truce At Bakura and told them they could have a bunch of planets in the Outer Rim if they shared their entechment technology with him.

As was noted in the lets read thread, those yahoo's didn't have the military power to break a backwater colony, much less challenge anyone on a larger scale.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They sure could whistle a tune though.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

They sure could whistle a tune though.

Hmmm?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
That's one good thing the NJO did; sweep away a lot of the stupid poo poo, like the yevetha and ssi-ruuk.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chairman Capone posted:

The entire concept itself doesn't really exist in the EU. The closest thing that comes to it is that one sourcebook suggests Palpatine used the possibility of extra-galactic invasion as a bogus reason to justify building up the Empire's military during the peacetime after the Clone Wars. The recent Essential Guide to Warfare outright states that the "Palpatine created the Empire to defend against the Yuuzhan Vong" is a fringe neo-Imperial piece of propaganda/conspiracy theory. Other than those two things, the theory more comes from fans than anything in the actual EU itself.

There's a lot of poo poo in the EU, but I do think this is one area where it takes flak for something that, for once, it doesn't actually do.
Didn't the end of the second series of Thrawn books by Zahn basically imply that Thrawn was preparing for some drat thing which was curiously undefined but was probably ruled, in retrospect, to be the Yuuzhan Vong? Of course Thrawn wasn't the Emperor.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Nessus posted:

Didn't the end of the second series of Thrawn books by Zahn basically imply that Thrawn was preparing for some drat thing which was curiously undefined but was probably ruled, in retrospect, to be the Yuuzhan Vong? Of course Thrawn wasn't the Emperor.

Thrawn was preparing for it, but he was established in his first appearance has having been "banished-but-not-really" to the Unknown Regions, and there's inferences about the Chiss knowing either about the Vong or other varied extragalactic hostile species as far back as slightly-post-Episode-1.

That said, if that entire Thrawn compound was meant to be an early warning system for Vong, they really dropped the ball on it. :shobon:

Or, more likely, the writers that Zahn pissed off in the HoT duology just wanted to ignore every Zahn book, given that he basically handed a giant extended middle finger to everyone who had written anything involving Luke Skywalker during the pre-Vong EU. One of the two.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ursine Asylum posted:

Or, more likely, the writers that Zahn pissed off in the HoT duology just wanted to ignore every Zahn book, given that he basically handed a giant extended middle finger to everyone who had written anything involving Luke Skywalker during the pre-Vong EU. One of the two.
How'd he do that? I just looked at the wiki page for those drat books, it says Luke was trying to go ten days' cold turkey on "Using The Force To Wipe His Own rear end" or something.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The EU never said that Palpatine formed the Empire to deal with the Vong. In fact, all he knew were some vague rumors of them in the Uncharted Regions that he didn't really concern himself with. They were just some little thing to keep an eye on as he dealt with far more important things. Basically they were just one of countless little mysteries and potential threats that he may or may not ever have to worry about. He had absolutely no idea of how dangerous they really were.

Thrawn on the other hand did do his things because of the Vong. So that was kind of a retcon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Nessus posted:

How'd he do that? I just looked at the wiki page for those drat books, it says Luke was trying to go ten days' cold turkey on "Using The Force To Wipe His Own rear end" or something.

It wasn't really every author, just a couple. One author tried to link Mara Jade with Lando (in one book, I forget which one, Luke called Lando, and Mara answered wearing nothing but a shirt and seeming embarrassed), and Zahn made a point to mention that moment and kill it, having Mara get kind of pissed and making sure Luke knew absolutely nothing happened between them. Also, Dark Empire got called out. Mara mentioned something about that time, and Luke got cold and said, "The Emperor Reborn". Mara replied with a doubting, "Yeah, sure. I never really believed that was him, but whatever." It was kind of hilarious. In that one line, Zahn took what was accepted fact and allowed another possibility, that someone else had made clones and pretended it was Palpatine, basically making GBS threads on Dark Empire.

I think those were the only two specific call outs. But the whole book had a feeling of ending the bullshit that had been going on for a long time, and bringing the series to a new starting point for something new to come. Too bad it was the NJO. But that's not Zahn's fault.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

That's one good thing the NJO did; sweep away a lot of the stupid poo poo, like the yevetha and ssi-ruuk.

I'd love to have seen those battles.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

Even if it wasn't the Vong themselves, Survivor's Quest and Outbound Flight suggest that there are some nasty things lurking in the Unknown Regions that represented a more immediate concern to Thrawn and the Chiss.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Metal Loaf posted:

Even if it wasn't the Vong themselves, Survivor's Quest and Outbound Flight suggest that there are some nasty things lurking in the Unknown Regions that represented a more immediate concern to Thrawn and the Chiss.

Nasty. They had no idea this meant bugnest orgies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah. Thrawn died trying to forestall the encroachment of giant randy insects.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

It wasn't really every author, just a couple. One author tried to link Mara Jade with Lando (in one book, I forget which one, Luke called Lando, and Mara answered wearing nothing but a shirt and seeming embarrassed), and Zahn made a point to mention that moment and kill it, having Mara get kind of pissed and making sure Luke knew absolutely nothing happened between them. Also, Dark Empire got called out. Mara mentioned something about that time, and Luke got cold and said, "The Emperor Reborn". Mara replied with a doubting, "Yeah, sure. I never really believed that was him, but whatever." It was kind of hilarious. In that one line, Zahn took what was accepted fact and allowed another possibility, that someone else had made clones and pretended it was Palpatine, basically making GBS threads on Dark Empire.

I think those were the only two specific call outs. But the whole book had a feeling of ending the bullshit that had been going on for a long time, and bringing the series to a new starting point for something new to come. Too bad it was the NJO. But that's not Zahn's fault.

To add to it, Mara goes on a huge rant about how Luke really hosed up with the way he setup the Jedi academy, was selfish, declares himself Jedi master, etc. honestly, Zahn called out every book as being terrible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Duckman2008 posted:

To add to it, Mara goes on a huge rant about how Luke really hosed up with the way he setup the Jedi academy, was selfish, declares himself Jedi master, etc. honestly, Zahn called out every book as being terrible.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part. Vision of the Future is just the best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did he not treat The New Rebellion more favourably than some of the other EU books?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Metal Loaf posted:

Did he not treat The New Rebellion more favourably than some of the other EU books?

I think he just called "Kueller" or whatever just some troubled youth, so it was kind of a put down. I think the author of TNR wanted to half play it up as a small part of more widespread fuming resentment of the New Republic.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

He also threw dirt in the face of the authors who were straw-manning characters creating a villain who is treated like every other author treats Thrawn, and then having him be taken down pretty easily. Borsk Fel'ya is also given a promotion, and is shown not to be captain-total-dick because all he ever does in most stories is just say "Leia wants that? Well, I say gently caress that then and will never let it pass!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Borsk Fey'lya was a Zahn creation, wasn't he? I can't remember if he'd appeared in anything before Heir To the Empire.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Metal Loaf posted:

Borsk Fey'lya was a Zahn creation, wasn't he? I can't remember if he'd appeared in anything before Heir To the Empire.

He was in the X-Wing comics in the NR advisory council. Those were created in the same timeframe, so it's likely that he's one of the characters Zahn created and Stackpole, collaborating with Zahn, put him in the comics (which are set prior to the Thrawn trilogy).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Calax posted:

Borsk Fel'ya [...] all he ever does in most stories is just say "Leia wants that? Well, I say gently caress that then and will never let it pass!"

And then they went back to the same loving well in NJO. But at least they had the good graces to kill him off in the middle of it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Calax posted:

Borsk Fel'ya is also given a promotion, and is shown not to be captain-total-dick because all he ever does in most stories is just say "Leia wants that? Well, I say gently caress that then and will never let it pass!"

Looking at the US Congress this seems like a realistic description of a career politician though.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
He was a such a little poo poo but drat did he go out like a badass. Not as good as ganner though. :black101:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

He was a such a little poo poo but drat did he go out like a badass. Not as good as ganner though. :black101:

Ganner's death was literally the best death in NJO. And given how many deaths NJO had, that's saying something.

e:

Nessus posted:

In addition to all of the above, they make a point of saying that all the ubershit Luke was doing (I recall there being one book where he reconstructed Vader's seaside fortress on Coruscant from a pile of rubble using only the power of his mind) was basically shitfucking him, his interpersonal relationships, his ability to use the Force, and was sending him on a straight line long term course to the dark side. They use a couple specific examples, like the fortress-rebuilding thing and having him gently caress up people's minds at range, but it was so prevalent in the pre-NJO EU that it felt like a bunch of old Superman writers and their propensity towards giving him "super face-mushing" or "super emblem throwing" powers.

And then Zahn showed up and said "No, you're stupid." :allears:

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 31, 2013

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Ursine Asylum posted:

Ganner's death was literally the best death in NJO. And given how many deaths NJO had, that's saying something.

e:

In addition to all of the above, they make a point of saying that all the ubershit Luke was doing (I recall there being one book where he reconstructed Vader's seaside fortress on Coruscant from a pile of rubble using only the power of his mind) was basically shitfucking him, his interpersonal relationships, his ability to use the Force, and was sending him on a straight line long term course to the dark side. They use a couple specific examples, like the fortress-rebuilding thing and having him gently caress up people's minds at range, but it was so prevalent in the pre-NJO EU that it felt like a bunch of old Superman writers and their propensity towards giving him "super face-mushing" or "super emblem throwing" powers.

And then Zahn showed up and said "No, you're stupid." :allears:

... At least they didn't actually hit supermans level of stupid powers. At one point he blew out a star... with his breath... in SPAAAAAACEEE.

Although it seems like they mostly forgot that entire thing in NJO as I distinctly remember Luke basically holding a black hole in place during a ground invasion.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Calax posted:

... At least they didn't actually hit supermans level of stupid powers. At one point he blew out a star... with his breath... in SPAAAAAACEEE.

Although it seems like they mostly forgot that entire thing in NJO as I distinctly remember Luke basically holding a black hole in place during a ground invasion.

I'm willing to give it a little more of a pass, given that the "black holes" are actually bugs that run around and create black holes but somehow don't damage themselves, so :shrug:

But yeah that and another jedi managed to kill a ship by himself by inverting the black hole bug as well, although I think those are the only 2 times they do that in the series.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Longbaugh01 posted:

Probably well-worn territory for this thread, but in light of the connection between Palpatine and the Vong:

Do you feel this is one of the better aspects to come out of the NJO and NJO-related stories?

Does it ultimately weaken Palpatine's through-line as a character, or make it stronger when taking the entire...canon into account?

It's been a decade, but I thought Outbound Flight had Thrawn and Palpatine both knowing about the Vong flat out (and calling them by name) circa the prequels. So it's Zahn's fault. :ssh:

Though I don't think there's anything wrong with Palpatine using the threat of them to recruit Thrawn and just continuing with his master plan anyway. It is open for interpretation but seems like it is keeping in character.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 2, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

Ganner's death was literally the best death in NJO.

At first I read this as "EU" and I was about to go all Garik "Face" Loran passing away while looking up into the night sky at the Iron Fist in orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

At first I read this as "EU" and I was about to go all Garik "Face" Loran passing away while looking up into the night sky at the Iron Fist in orbit.

That wasn't Face, it was Phanan. (Is that okay to leave unspoiled at this point? :ohdear:)

And best death in the EU, I think I'd have to say Gariel Captison, but EU is pretty sparse character-death-wise overall. Allston's X-Wing books probably account for a big chunk of hero deaths prior to NJO.