Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Nintendo's kinda pissed that Japanese 3DS games are taking so long to come overseas, plans to start helping Japanese devs this year in getting them over.

I'd like to say stuff like Bravely Default and Layton x Wright would benefit from thsi, but I have this sinking feeling that it'll be more Beyond the Labyrinth and Senran Kagura.

My special magical dreams for things that will never happen is Nintendo picking up publishing Shin Megami Tensei games on 3DS so that they are actually released in poor old Europe and Australia... Nintendo are partnering with Atlus for Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei so I can dream... I'm probably going to have to import a 3DS from USA if there isn't news of Soul Hackers and Shin Megami Tensei 4 being released in the Nintendo of Europe regions.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I wouldn't consider it an RPG since there's no character progression.

Monster Hunter has more detailed character customisation than a lot of JRPGs, it just doesn't have a character experience and levelling system outside of quest unlocking. I do agree it isn't really an RPG, though. It is an action game with a very heavy lean towards character customisation and gathering of materials to create new items to further customise your character with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Did ex troopers turn out to be any good?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PonchAxis posted:

Did ex troopers turn out to be any good?

From what I've been told by people who bought the PS3 version, it's a functionally competent anime action shooter game that plays it completely by the numbers. Nothing special. I tried the PS3 demo and it was neat enough that I'd consider importing it soon, as it's only like $60 on eBay. The game bombed super hard though saleswise and according to Capcom is almost impossible to localize due to how they created all the art assets.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Maybe they should be encouraging more western devs to make 3DS games for the international market, instead of just bringing over more Japanese stuff? That's not to say I can think of a whole lot of western-developed games I'd actually want on 3DS but I can't imagine more JRPGs are really gonna make much difference.

Look at the Vita to see how well "western" games do on handhelds.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

We are not getting Ex Troopers, but maybe this means Layton x Wright and Terry's Wonderland. Maybe. Hopefully.

Katana Gomai posted:

Ignorance of the situation does not excuse this. All third-party "Western" games on the Vita have been rushed, cheap cash-ins so far since the high development costs do not justify otherwise when considering the system's sales figures. That may change in the future.

Most Sony games like Uncharted, Wipeout, or the upcoming Killzone are easily more "Western" than Japanese, and they are turning out to be rather good. The Vita just came out at the wrong time, with the wrong price point, and the worst handicap in those memory cards.

Also, if your definition of handheld games include iOS, you should note that all the big titles there are made in the US and Europe.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 31, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

Is anything doing well on Vita? Like, at all? People talk about how nice the hardware is and how much free crap they get through Playstation Plus but no-one seems particularly enthused by any of the games and there doesn't seem to be anything in the pipeline.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is anything doing well on Vita? Like, at all? People talk about how nice the hardware is and how much free crap they get through Playstation Plus but no-one seems particularly enthused by any of the games and there doesn't seem to be anything in the pipeline.

There's no real way to measure sales numbers because they seem to be very heavily biased towards Digital sales and PSN doesn't release those numbers/they're not counted in traditional games shipped stuff. The game most people talk about is Persona 4 Golden, which is my favorite Vita game but it's also a port of a PS2 game :v:

I buy way more games for my Vita than for my 3DS but I'm not most people, but I don't think you'll find anything that's approaching sales numbers like a Mario Kart game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

People seem to be excited about some Killzone trailer just released in the vita thread... Personally I am burnt out on FPS games and I don't want to play one on a handheld, and the trailer had some emphasis on touch controls which also turned me off. Also apparently it's still 8 months away.

I read an article, too lazy to look for it, a few days ago that said the Vita is back to being outsold by the PSP after the holiday sales. It's a shame because it looks like a fantastic piece of hardware but there's zero games that look interesting to me for it. I was going to buy one for Monster Hunter but don't need to anymore with it coming to the Wii U and all. Little King Story apparently got it's sequel on the vita which I was interested in, but not enough to pay the price for the handheld.

The vita thread is overly positive though and people seem to be happy with it and rarely do I see complaints.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

katkillad2 posted:

Little King Story apparently got it's sequel on the vita which I was interested in, but not enough to pay the price for the handheld.

Eh, not really a sequel. Re-imagining with less endearing art.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Is anything doing well on Vita? Like, at all?

I can't speak to sales numbers, but Persona 4 Golden got a lot of positive press.

That said, I don't think the sales for Vita software are that great. Two studios closed last year after releasing a Vita title to mediocre sales. One was Psygnosis, I forget the other. Probably just a coincidence, but no one seems terribly interested in arguing otherwise.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Stoked, my 3DS XL arrived! But - is it meant to click so loudly when opening/closing the device? Much more of a sharp click between positions than the DS Lite or DSi XL...

EDIT: Really impressed by it, even though I have the 3D effect down to about 25% on the slider. Too much and I keep seeing 'ghosts' of the stuff on the screen. Do you find it better if the 3DS is held a little further away from you?

I've only tried Zelda and Mario, but I can see what a huge step up from the DS this is. Also what has me excited is how relatively early this still is in the 3DS' lifespan, and there must be an incredible range of titles still on the way. Keen for Tales of the Abyss, Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest 7 - and who knows what else will be out/announced later this year.

I only got a DSi XL in late 2010, and there were not too many releases after that which really got me excited. This is the first time in ages I have had a portable gaming device early, and can watch the technology and quality of games evolve.

---
vvv I meant 3DS XL :)

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 31, 2013

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
My 3DS XL has a pretty clear click. I don't remember specifically on the 3DS, but I think it did too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

That said, I don't think the sales for Vita software are that great. Two studios closed last year after releasing a Vita title to mediocre sales. One was Psygnosis, I forget the other. Probably just a coincidence, but no one seems terribly interested in arguing otherwise.

The other one was that mercenary group Sony Europe or whoever contracted to make that god awful tech demo launch game they bundled with early edition sales.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh and hey, here's some news. Rune Factory 4 is coming to North America this Summer. Get hype for farming and beating up monsters!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

^^^ Wow, that is some mad RPG action coming our way. Come on, Euro releases...

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Etrian Odyssey 4 doesn't even have an EU release date. I'm not holding out any hope for this either :smith:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Policenaut posted:

Oh and hey, here's some news. Rune Factory 4 is coming to North America this Summer. Get hype for farming and beating up monsters!

A European release date announcement would be really nice! I'm not that interested in the series myself, but I do know someone who is.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Etrian Odyssey 4 doesn't even have an EU release date. I'm not holding out any hope for this either :smith:

Well, the Etrian Odyssey games that got localized over here did kinda flop, so it's no surprise that we don't have one for EO4 really. Kinda sucks.
:smith::hf::smith:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Some very cool old classics in the eShop but I am a little put off by the prices. I think £3.59 and upward is a little much for some of these old Gameboy titles (Link's Awakening is £5.39... come on, really?). Good to see Metroid II and Super Mario Land II: 6 Golden Coins in there. Wish that the Ambassador titles would become open to the rest of us. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sultan Tarquin posted:

If this keeps up, I think I'm just gonna import a US 3DSXL. No way I'm missing out on two Shin Megami Tensei games due to region locking :argh:. Plus the other various games that don't get an EU release, I guess. Did anything ever come of Time Travellers getting localized? Was it even good?

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

EDIT: Really impressed by it, even though I have the 3D effect down to about 25% on the slider. Too much and I keep seeing 'ghosts' of the stuff on the screen. Do you find it better if the 3DS is held a little further away from you?

I just got mine yesterday and after playing around with the 3D, I've found that I prefer it completely off. It really bothers my eyes with it on. I've only tried it with the Fire Emblem demo and Crimson Shroud, so I am going to keep messing with it as I get more games this year. Of all the settings, I found it the best when the 3D slider was at the very bottom with the 3DS pulled away far from my face. I still need to mess around with it until I completely make up my mind. Either way, I don't mind playing with the 3D off. As some posters who had eye problems mentioned earlier, at least I can conserve the battery with it off!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Speaking of the 3D. What do the different 3D settings in mario 3D land actually do?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did anything ever come of Time Travellers getting localized? Was it even good?

As far as I've heard none of the big localization groups are thinking about Time Travelers, and I have no idea if Level-5 will actually do it themselves after it bombed in Japan. Maybe it might be one of the games Nintendo's looking into help bringing overseas? Heavy Rain crossbred with a visual novel could have some appeal.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

From what I have seen, Time Travelers was rather neat. I've no idea why it bombed so hard in Japan.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

From what I've been told by people who bought the PS3 version, it's a functionally competent anime action shooter game that plays it completely by the numbers. Nothing special. I tried the PS3 demo and it was neat enough that I'd consider importing it soon, as it's only like $60 on eBay. The game bombed super hard though saleswise and according to Capcom is almost impossible to localize due to how they created all the art assets.

The PS3 one has some nice looking visuals that really makes it feel like a 'manga' game. I bought a copy as my way of supporting the franchise.

Why can't we just get a Lost Planet 2 again? (I know there's LP3 coming, but it seems to be getting rid of a lot of stuff that made LP2 good)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Speaking of the 3D. What do the different 3D settings in mario 3D land actually do?

IIRC, it gives you the choice between things looking like they're deep "inside" the screen like a shoebox diorama, or popping up out of the screen.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Ah alright, I just whacked the slider all the way up and left it on the first option so the other one just looks weird to me now.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Folt The Bolt posted:

Well, the Etrian Odyssey games that got localized over here did kinda flop, so it's no surprise that we don't have one for EO4 really. Kinda sucks.
In a way it was probably expected, I suspect the older gamer generation from the late 80s/early 90s would've appreciated the games more, when they experienced games like Dungeon Master or similar dungeon crawling games. But how many of them owns a DS nowadays? It's very much a niche inside a niche, and drawing your own maps? How OCD.

It's a pity then that the region lock has locked us out of this series for now. And translating the game to four additional languages doesn't exactly entice publishers to risk it. But one can hope for a miracle of some sort.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Harvest Moon/Rune Factory stuff is released by Rising Star Games in PAL-land but it takes 'em forever to do... I wouldn't expect RF4 until the holiday season at the absolute earliest.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Policenaut posted:

That's loving awesome. But... it looks like an NDS game.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
Super Mario 3D Land is insanely fun, but it's a constant reminder that I will never get to experience anything in 3D because I don't have stereoscopic vision and permanently play in 2D mode :(.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iNiS, why did you have to reduce yourselves to only making Lips games? You used to spin wonderful magic from sound :sigh:. I'd love an EBA sequel, but I'd settle for another Gitaroo Man.

Oh, they've branched out in recent years. They did The Black Eyed Peas Experience and the Xbox karaoke app!

Make of that what you will.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Ineffiable posted:

Why can't we just get a Lost Planet 2 again? (I know there's LP3 coming, but it seems to be getting rid of a lot of stuff that made LP2 good)
Wait, I thought Lost Planet 2 was the lovely sequel that failed to recapture the magic of the original

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Zeph posted:

Super Mario 3D Land is insanely fun, but it's a constant reminder that I will never get to experience anything in 3D because I don't have stereoscopic vision and permanently play in 2D mode :(.

I've said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again: Super Mario 3D Land is one of the best Mario games I have ever played. I'd say my top three favorite Mario (platformers) are World, 64 and 3DL. Probably in that order.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Zeph posted:

Eh, you're not missing much imo. For almost every 3DS game I've played I turned on the 3D, played for 10 minutes, went "well that was nifty!" then turned it off for the rest of my time with the game.

But yeah 3D Land is terrific. The 3D Mario team are really talented, and they put whoever is doing the NSMB series to shame. It's kind of sad that the 2D stuff sells so much better.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Chaltab posted:

Wait, I thought Lost Planet 2 was the lovely sequel that failed to recapture the magic of the original

Must be some other game you're thinking of.

Lost Planet 1 was an average by the numbers shooty videogame set on an alien cold planet.

Lost Planet 2 took the cold environments, added jungles, underwater and more environments, 4 PLAYER drop in and out co-op, Transforming and combining robots, giant boss fights, and even an exp and random loot system with over 100+ guns to choose from, and customization of characters. And FIESTA TIME. One of the bosses was a giant monster attacking a train, while you have 4 people scrambling around on a train either loading the big rear end cannon, reloading the big rear end cannon by carrying shells bigger than they are, on turrents shooting down minor enemies, or running around the train, repairing it.

And Lost Planet 3 will likely go back to how Lost Planet 1 was, with a focus on the story, and made by the developers of Turning Point: Fall of Liberty (a bad game)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
As far as missing out on the 3D effect... this is the game that has executed the effect the best. You can tell the games that don't put too much thought into it. The 3D Land team pretty much mastered it. It's a shame that you can't experience it, but yeah, it still isn't central to the gameplay beyond a few bonus rooms. It's still a must-buy if you are a Mario fan, regardless of functioning eyes.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

Crowbear posted:

Eh, you're not missing much imo. For almost every 3DS game I've played I turned on the 3D, played for 10 minutes, went "well that was nifty!" then turned it off for the rest of my time with the game.

But yeah 3D Land is terrific. The 3D Mario team are really talented, and they put whoever is doing the NSMB series to shame. It's kind of sad that the 2D stuff sells so much better.
Eh, I got NSMB2 as well and it's fun for what it is. I just wanted Mario platformer, and that's what I got. But the first time I fired up 3D Land...it reminded me of the first time I played 64 and immediately justified my purchase. That feeling only comes up with a handful of truly great games.

The 3D thing goes further than the 3DS though. 3D tv's, 3D movies, 3D IMAX, anything at all - present and future media - that uses stereoscopy is lost on me because of my dumb broken eyesight :smith:. I've had to decline going to 3D movies with friends because of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zeph posted:

Eh, I got NSMB2 as well and it's fun for what it is. I just wanted Mario platformer, and that's what I got. But the first time I fired up 3D Land...it reminded me of the first time I played 64 and immediately justified my purchase. That feeling only comes up with a handful of truly great games.

The 3D thing goes further than the 3DS though. 3D tv's, 3D movies, 3D IMAX, anything at all - present and future media - that uses stereoscopy is lost on me because of my dumb broken eyesight :smith:. I've had to decline going to 3D movies with friends because of it.

You won't have to decline seeing those movies any more! You could buy a pair of 2D Glasses.... I think.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

BadAstronaut posted:

Yeah it's best to keep it a little less than arms length away. You'll always forget and find yourself like nose to screen at it but the 3D looks the best if it's about that distance. Also if Zelda and SM3DL wow you wait till you take a gander at Kid Icarus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I don't have Kid Icarus and have sort of blown my video games budget until next payday already, so will have to 'make do' with Zelda, Mario and Street Fighter 4 for now.

I tried some DS carts in there and they look perfect. Seems to me that with a 3DS XL there is absolutely no reason to keep my DSi XL, as I have a DS Lite for GBA purposes and the 3DS XL for all else...
Have any of you hung on to your DSi XL's for any reason?

• Locked thread