Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
We're going to lose in India

Australia (squad): Michael Clarke (c), Shane Watson, Jackson Bird, Ed Cowan, Xavier Doherty, Moises Henriques, Phil Hughes, Mitchell Johnson, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Glenn Maxwell, James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Scylo posted:

Australia (squad): Michael Clarke (c), Shane Watson, Jackson Bird, Ed Cowan, Xavier Doherty, Moises Henriques, Phil Hughes, Mitchell Johnson, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Glenn Maxwell, James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner.

This is...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

When can we officially say that cricket in Australia is done?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Once the footy starts again. Never been so pumped for the NAB cup in my life.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Henriques, Maxwell and Smith all in the same squad? Oh my.

And Doherty's back! Let's see if he can improve on his test average of 102.

:suicide:

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
It'll be fine. Sure, the batting isn't entirely deep and the bowlers will likely all break after one game, but Clarke and Hughes are the best two batsmen in the world not named Amla and as such the'll carry the hopes of the nation kicking and screaming towards glorious victory.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

foolish_fool posted:

It'll be fine. Sure, the batting isn't entirely deep and the bowlers will likely all break after one game, but Clarke and Hughes are the best two batsmen in the world not named Amla and as such the'll carry the hopes of the nation kicking and screaming towards glorious victory.

Forums User foolish_fool is actually Paul Kent of the Daily Telegraph

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Hyperriker posted:

Forums User foolish_fool is actually Paul Kent of the Daily Telegraph

Google tells me this guy got in some argument deriding Anthony Mundine. I would never do such a thing, Mundine is at least as much a surety to win as the Aussie cricket team. e: Not to mention that he apparently argued against the return of SBW to the NRL. What a dick.

e2: Mostly I'm just really confused. How could you *not* see how amazingly brilliant Hughes is? Surely the Indian attack (and more importantly, the English) will crumble under the might of his cover drive.

e3: VVV Certainly a 25 year old Hughes is possibly a better batsman than a 100 year old (and also inconveniently deceased) Bradman.

foolish_fool fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 31, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

"Phil Hughes is a better batsman than Donald Bradman." - foolish_fool

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Scylo posted:

Oh gently caress me, we are so gonna get thrashed.

What the hell does Steve O'Keefe have to do to get a go? Literally averaging 15 per wicket better than any other spinner in Australia at present, yet we have Doherty as backup to Lyon.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
At least it looks better than our disgraceful short form sides! :gbsmith:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Oh gently caress me, we are so gonna get thrashed.

What the hell does Steve O'Keefe have to do to get a go? Literally averaging 15 per wicket better than any other spinner in Australia at present, yet we have Doherty as backup to Lyon.

Yeah I don't really get this. There's that old joke that when you get selected for NSW you get a baggy green as well, yet despite playing for them O'Keefe can't get a look in even though he's been a very consistent bowler and can bat a bit.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Well Doherty has two wickets with an average of 80 and Smith has 0 centuries and 1 wicket. Pretty easy to see why the selectors would pick those guys over O'Keefe who has 17 wickets with a 24 average and a 25 average with the bat.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
He's not mates with the right people.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

stayl posted:

He's not mates with the right people.

He probably said something nasty about Clarke.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
OK, whose dick does O'Keefe need to suck to get a shot? Ridiculous.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cocksmith posted:

OK, whose dick does O'Keefe need to suck to get a shot? Ridiculous.

Probably needs the entire selection panel to bukkake him.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Just caught up with Warne's fix-it post and all I can say is hahahaha. "Give all my mates jobs and we'll totally do a better job!"

I thought was a pretty universal sporting law that the most talented players make awful coaches, while the best coaches were usually pretty average players.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The selectors couldn't even be bothered to watch the game where SOK took 8 wickets This is possibly the worst picked test side I can remember. Its been picked based on odi or even worse twebty20 form.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The selectors couldn't even be bothered to watch the game where SOK took 8 wickets This is possibly the worst picked test side I can remember. Its been picked based on odi or even worse twebty20 form.

I dunno, if they'd picked on recent ODI or T20 form they'd only have 5 players

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What are you guys talking about? That's not the test side! That would just be silly!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

The only thing going in our favour is that India are loving terrible.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

Brydon Coverdale @brydoncoverdale
A couple of Steve Smith stats: since 2010 Tests v Pak in England he has 1 first-class ton from 40 innings and 17 wickets at 73.11 #cricket

Test match quality player right there.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
We're in so much trouble lmao

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At least we might get to see Sehwag go nuts against Lyon/Doherty/Maxwell/Smith.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Smith at least has a pretty good average with the bat and is just back-up by the looks of it. Plus he can play spin.

gently caress Doherty though, fuuuuck. Also Glenn 'FIGJAM' Maxwell and Moises 'One Good Season' Henriques.

Gonna be hilarious regardless of what happens. If India get beaten by that side they're one of the worst test sides in the world (if that wasn't clear). If we get pasted there will be mobs in the street. P happy either way.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

"Phil Hughes is a better batsman than Donald Bradman." - foolish_fool

He isn't the first to say it, just backing up popular opinion

I love how much this photo is still used

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh dear Australia, oh dear.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
It's okay because Brad Hodge will win us The Ashes

e: First match of the womens world cup is on now

Centusin fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 31, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Do the ICC know?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doctor Cave posted:

And Doherty's back! Let's see if he can improve on his test average of 102.

Mister Chief posted:

a better batsman than Donald Bradman

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

If only.

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002

Scylo posted:

The bowlers are going to top the batting averages. It would appear that the solution to Shane Watson not being able to bowl is to pick even more all-round incompetent players. Maybe Jackson Bird will unlock Glenn McGrath mode and Australia can shakily chase down 150...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/602944.html

cricinfo posted:

India have again struck down the latest attempt to bring more consistency to the implementation of the DRS by threatening to pull out of any tour in which the host country insisted on using the technology.

Oh just gently caress off already and stop holding back the loving game.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

hahaha jesus christ. what a group of petulant little manbabies. let them pull out, it'll hurt them as much as the hosts.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

And at the same time they're the absolute loving worst for showing dissent to umpires. Horrible cunts the lot of them.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

No-one outside of India will miss India if they disappear from the international game.

All they have to offer the cricketing world at the moment is a backwards attitude and poo poo cricket.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It's only countries like SL and Bangladesh that need India because those tours generate so much money for the cricketing minnows. When Russel Arnold was commentating this summer he was saying that Sri Lankan stars are basically obliged to play in the IPL or India will schedule fewer matches in Sri Lanka, with dire financial consequences for the home side.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

India is the Israel of cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

(...) And I am a self hating jew

gently caress this poo poo.

• Locked thread