Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, didn't realise that Ken's Rage 2 was out here in the UK in a bit over a week. And DW 7: Empires two weeks after that. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been kinda on the fence about getting into this series for a while, and today a bunch of old Warriors games were put up on the EU PSN. The only game in the series I've played is Dynasty Warriors 3 and I remember liking that a lot. Are any of these worth picking up?

- Dynasty Warriors 4
- Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires
- Dynasty Warriors 5
- Kessen III (Not sure if this is part of the series)
- Samurai Warriors 2
- Samurai Warriors 2 Empires

Or would I be better off just getting Dynasty Warriors 7 or something?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KimT posted:

I've been kinda on the fence about getting into this series for a while, and today a bunch of old Warriors games were put up on the EU PSN. The only game in the series I've played is Dynasty Warriors 3 and I remember liking that a lot. Are any of these worth picking up?

- Dynasty Warriors 4
- Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires
- Dynasty Warriors 5
- Kessen III (Not sure if this is part of the series)
- Samurai Warriors 2
- Samurai Warriors 2 Empires

Or would I be better off just getting Dynasty Warriors 7 or something?

Samurai Warriors 2 (or Empires if you're feeling a bit more strategic) are still fairly decent games, but don't forget you're basically playing an upscaled PS2 game and are pretty dated now. Unless you have any nostalgia for the older DW games, you're best off just going straight for 7 since it's the best iteration at the moment. Kessen is much more of a strategy title, and I've never played it, so.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'd suggest Samurai Warriors 2. It is my favorite Musou besides Warriors Orochi 3.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmaXw64KyKM

New trailer for Pirate Warriors 2. Perona's face in the embedded video still mirrors my own. I just saw Brook with his killer sword cane thing and I think it's pretty hype, but I'm slowly approaching the point where I recognize everything in these trailers. The new costume stuff still throws me though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The only thing I know about One Piece is that one of the characters uses three swords, which is pretty awesome.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

5er posted:

Amongst the DW, SW and Sengoku Basara series, are there any direct descendants that have taken mortal offense at some of the less kind depictions? I would think someone of the Naoe lineage would get pissed at Kanetsugu's rough handling in SB.

I wouldn't think so. It'd be like being related to Robin Hood and taking grave offence at the Disney movie. They're folk heroes, legends. If it really were A Thing, Oda Nobunaga's descendants would be in court every other day with the way he's been portrayed.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Is there going to be a Ken's Rage 2 English demo on psn/xbla? I know it is in Japan, but I want the English demo.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I wouldn't think so. It'd be like being related to Robin Hood and taking grave offence at the Disney movie. They're folk heroes, legends. If it really were A Thing, Oda Nobunaga's descendants would be in court every other day with the way he's been portrayed.

Instead, Nobunaga's descendants are busy being fabulous and conquering the world of figure skating.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ambivalent posted:

Instead, Nobunaga's descendants are busy being fabulous and conquering the world of figure skating.

If he really wanted to make a buck, he'd license himself to be in the next SW or Orochi game :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Regarding Zhang He, he may have been a historical badass, but that didn't really come through in the Romance of Three Kingdoms. There, he was a narcissistic, overconfident fuckup who kept getting lured into Shu's traps (a common occurrence for Wei, but Zhang He was their go-to guy for it). Dynasty Warriors actually made him quite a bit more competent and dangerous, if a hell of a lot fruitier. I actually like the guy in the games - he fits the role of 'fabulous prettyboy narcissist' without being either useless or a particularly bad person. Plus, one of his musous is the motherfuckin' Moonlight Butterfly. :getin:

Wouldn't mind a slight toning-down, but I hope they do keep those elements without making him either a raging rear end in a top hat or a total joke.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Actually, in the novel both with the ambush from which he was killed and the ill-fated attack on Cao Cao's main camp after Wuchao he's depicted as correctly reading the situation but being overruled and ordered into trouble by an overconfident or strategist, while as I said before everyone's a mook at Changban except for Zhang He -- even allowing that Zhao Yun was burdened with Adou (Liu Shan), Zhang He alone forced Zhao Yun to flee instead of simply fighting his way past, and Zhao Yun only escapes on account of a deus ex machina; hell, before Wuchao Zhang He stalemates Zhang Liao in personal combat for a bit before Gao Lan and Xu Chu join in.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Here's a new Dynasty Warriors 8 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLuq5a2d_cc

And if you'd like to see the dozen character demonstration trailers, then come on down!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Policenaut posted:

Here's a new Dynasty Warriors 8 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLuq5a2d_cc

And if you'd like to see the dozen character demonstration trailers, then come on down!

Sounds as though they're sticking with each Kingdom's music theme. I like.

EDIT: Did Guan Yinping just kick a guy in the nutsack? :stare:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 31, 2013

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Man, I would complain about Huang Gai getting a Brainbuster instead a more gonzo wrestling move, but then I remember that his second Musou is the Kinniku Buster and that makes up for everything.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
They also updated the site with more pictures and information on that new mode.

Also they posted my favorite picture:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Holy poo poo Guan Xing's musou. :stare::fh:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Belzac posted:

They also updated the site with more pictures and information on that new mode.

Also they posted my favorite picture:

Oh nice, they're actually including him bringing his own coffin to Fan Castle? That's awesome.

Edit: That re-worked flail moveset looks really drat fun too. And the Wu trailer has a reworked version of Arena from DW3. Wonder if they're redoing some older songs for this game, Interceptor from DW4 would be pretty rad.

Suben fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 31, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

As fun as reading Romance is (especially now that I have a sense of who many of the characters are), I'm really curious to read a more factual accounting of the Three Kingdoms era. I'm particularly curious about anything written recently.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

As fun as reading Romance is (especially now that I have a sense of who many of the characters are), I'm really curious to read a more factual accounting of the Three Kingdoms era. I'm particularly curious about anything written recently.
While there's bias both for Wei from the client (as the intermediary between Han and Jin in the line of succession) and for Shu from the author, a former Shu official turned Jin historian, Chen Shou's Records of the Three Kingdoms is as close as you'll get, having been compiled at least a few years after the fall of Wu. In the 400s CE Pei Songzhi annotated it (completed in 429) with his own commentary, corrections and sources.

Incidentally, in describing the ancient country of Yamatai, the Wa people and its queen Himiko, it's apparently the oldest surviving historical document to make explicit mention of Japan -- and that's where we get Himiko from the Warriors Orochi series from.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Rafe de Crespigny who's a historian and just about THE Three Kingdoms authority (at least in the western world) has a lot of his essays and things like that available to read for free including Generals of the South which is a big history of Wu. Although he comes at it a bit biased since he likes Wu and Cao Cao a lot and has said that Liu Bei is his least favorite person from that era... mainly because of how time and other works have turned him into a saintly figure while he sees Liu Bei as scheming and two-faced. I think the quote is something along the lines of "When you have Liu Bei as a friend why would you need enemies?" although I've heard that even with biases (because there really is no unbiased version of history) he's able to put them aside enough to acknowledge/give respect for the things Liu Bei/Zhuge Liang/Shu in general did.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The funny thing is, I think the perception of Liu Bei as a less-than-helpful ally is actually brought up in RTK more than once, and I know that it definitely comes up at least once or twice in the 2010 live-action series -- "why invite him? Just look at the pile of 'allies' he's left behind!" Heck, I believe in the 2010 series Tao Qian is brought up as one of them, although an earlier episode does validate the official story.

I'll agree re: Suben about the inherent biases of histories, and in the case of Sanguozhi that's before you read a Pei Songzhi-annotated edition and wind up with his own "biases by source selection".

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires site updated today, detailing Extra mode with online Co-op and CAW uploading. Also, most of the sections with screenshots explaining things now are using the translated screens.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires site updated today, detailing Extra mode with online Co-op and CAW uploading. Also, most of the sections with screenshots explaining things now are using the translated screens.

That's looking really impressive. Can't wait to play it.

I didn't realize there were even more DLC weapons for Xtreme Legends. Guess it's time to waste some more money :negative:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Buncha One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 screenshots for y'all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dammit, I said I wasn't going to buy Pirate Warriors 2 after how mediocre the first one was, but I'm so weak.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Dammit, I said I wasn't going to buy Pirate Warriors 2 after how mediocre the first one was, but I'm so weak.
Weak! WEEEAAAK!!!

Speaking of which, where is Jojo Musou? I'm not a Jojo fan particularly but I'm sure that would make a decent Musou game. Just like any other action manga would.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

We're getting a rad rear end Jojo fighting game instead, which probably fits more because most of the fights in Jojo are like 1 on 1.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

We're getting a rad rear end Jojo fighting game instead, which probably fits more because most of the fights in Jojo are like 1 on 1.
They are in HnK and Gundam too but that didn't stop them.

I don't know anything about One Piece, is fighting hundreds of people at once part of that?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know anything about One Piece, is fighting hundreds of people at once part of that?

Yeah, there are huge fights in One Piece. And Kenshiro totally destroys tons of mooks throughout his run in HnK but maybe not enough to establish a Musou around, and Gundam has a bunch of war scenes.

I've only read the first 3 series', but just about every fight is a 1 on 1 battle with no generic mooks involved. It's non stop boss fights.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

Depends on the Gundam series but most of the animes actually involve either equal side multi-pilot battles or a few really strong mobile suits vs. a huge number of weaker ones. G Gundam is the only one I can think of where it was most 1 on 1 and then the whole ending throws that away any way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe I watched the wrong Gundams, since I remember an enemy MSs destroyed per episode ratio of like 2:1 or lower.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe I watched the wrong Gundams, since I remember an enemy MSs destroyed per episode ratio of like 2:1 or lower.

Oh come on, the total body count in some shows is ridiculous. They destroyed dozens of MSs in some episodes of Gundam 00, Victory, and Wing, and then there's earlier series' that get into war scenes that have huge off-screen body counts. A Baoa Qu, Titans Colony Laser, Neo Zeon's Axis, just to name a few. There's a bunch of war scenes where a ton of mobile suits get trashed off screen, presumably because having Amuro shoot down Zaku III's for 10 minutes on the way to fight Char would be pretty boring. That's why you get stuff like Kai and Hayate trying to defend White Base and they cut to them going "OH MAN THERE'S TOO MANY OF THEM!"

You can, at the very least, sit down and make the case for Gundam Musou. The body count for a series may come nowhere near the level that it does in a single stage in a Musou game, but you can see how they can justify it. There's no filler mook fighting in Jojo, everything is boss battles. Dio doesn't have like "The Dio Force" comprised of putty men he can send out when Jotaro gets uppity, he just has 2 dozen stand dudes with unique abilities that make for really cool boss battles. Jojo better fits a fighting game or a boss rush action game than a Musou.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gundam is certainly way more suited to a Musou game than Fist of the North Star, which had maybe all of three large scale battles in the whole thing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Fist of the North Star should have basically been God Hand.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Man, I thought Liu Bei in Dynasty Warrior was a rube. His depiction in Romance makes the DW Liu Bei look Machiavellian.

I'd call it poor characterization, but I'm not the author of one of the four great Chinese classics, so what do I know? :shrug:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

The GIG posted:

Man, I would complain about Huang Gai getting a Brainbuster instead a more gonzo wrestling move, but then I remember that his second Musou is the Kinniku Buster and that makes up for everything.
Please understand that it's a basically a brainbuster/vertical suplex that somehow causes AOE knockback... and then Huang Gai's metal canoe/"iron boat" falls onto his victim!

SirPhoebos posted:

Man, I thought Liu Bei in Dynasty Warrior was a rube. His depiction in Romance makes the DW Liu Bei look Machiavellian.
And here I was thinking that the DW version was making his novel version look Machiavellian and that the DW version was deliberately whitewashed... seriously though, what you describe had some people wondering if the novel version was actually written to subvert the supposedly-intended "saintly" characterization by making Liu Bei so over the top as to be unbelievable... which probably helps with explaining why a bunch of the popular folklore about Shu rests on other characters besides him.

It doesn't help (re: the novel) that novel Zhuge Liang is, frankly speaking, a dick and some of his more famous moments from the novel are about being a dick (i.e. taunting Zhou Yu to aggravate his ulcer and his appearance at Zhou Yu's funeral)... and there's the circumstances surrounding Guan Yu's return after Chibi: if he needed Cao Cao alive as a deterrent against Wu as DW7 claims in the Shu story, he never bothered telling Guan Yu that part -- and at one point I remember him admitting to Liu Bei that he sent Guan Yu simply to keep him from whining about being left out... which, considering the forced "I swear to catch Cao Cao or my life is forfeit" oath, makes Zhuge Liang a major dick.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chortles posted:

And here I was thinking that the DW version was making his novel version look Machiavellian and that the DW version was deliberately whitewashed... seriously though, what you describe had some people wondering if the novel version was actually written to subvert the supposedly-intended "saintly" characterization by making Liu Bei so over the top as to be unbelievable... which probably helps with explaining why a bunch of the popular folklore about Shu rests on other characters besides him.

I guess it depends on the scene, but I just got to the part where Lu Bu goes to him for refuge and literally the first thing Liu Bei does is offer him control of the province. :psyduck: Lu Bu doesn't even threaten him. His first words to him are "Hey, how would you like to be Imperial Protector? Here's the official seal and everything! :downs: "

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The GIG posted:

Man, there's a lot to the game. Is this the first time an Empires game had this much stuff? The last one I played was Samurai Warriors 2 Empires (I can't pop it in and find out because my 360 is dead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Tecmo Koei brought Dynasty Warriors 8 to the Taipei Game Show, here's some footage of the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEAWvbL5TEY