Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Just because the season is over doesn't mean we can't make this a final month to remember!

Old Man Clemens in for Old Man Denny's spot on the Rotation. He's got enough gas in the tank to get me through the last month, I hope!

Sandy Alomar in for Larry McLean.

Omar Vizquel in for Hans Lobert.

Kal Daniels in for Old Man Murray.

D'Aquisto gets a chance to see if he's worth his salt in Middle Relief Rob Murphy dropped down to the Bullpen.

As one last reminder, Thome comes in and replaces Sorrento as soon as he's healthy.

On the off chance I don't have enough place on my 30-man for Clemens, please launch Vern Fuller into deep space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Lanier to the Minors
Warneke to SP3
Pollet to CL
Call up Ayala to SR

Sigh.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Minor shuffling here.

Kuenn is sore, so have Jim Ray Hart take over for him for a month. Also, have Charlie Gehringer replace Doyle at 2B, and Billy Rogell replace Art Fletcher at SS.

New Lineup: (changes in bold)
Gehringer - 2B
Greenberg - LF
McCovey - 1B
Mays - CF
Cepeda - DH
Fox - RF
Rogell - SS
Catcher Platoon
Hart - 3B

Also, this probably got lost over the past few posts, but Tommy Bridges takes Sailor Stroud's place in the pitching rotation.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Nice to see that we're attracting five times our population to games. The beancounters will be very pleased. As for team performance, 6.5 games back is in that area where you want to give up and tank, but you just can't because if it all comes together, it could magically happen.

Roster changes: Play Ty Cobb in RF, with Sisler going to 1B and Foxx to DH. Bat Sisler in the spot vacated by Jacobson.

Go to a four-man pitching rotation with the current top four SPs, and set pitch through trouble/start on short rest/rack up pitch counts all to +5. I realise this is what broke the Daydreamers' rotation, but oh well.

This defense is laughably bad. I get Pratt, that's a result of my carrying no shortstops on my 25, but Dykes and the 2B platoon are shameful. Anybody got some solid defensive infielders to sell?

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

gingemidget posted:

Nice to see that we're attracting five times our population to games. The beancounters will be very pleased. As for team performance, 6.5 games back is in that area where you want to give up and tank, but you just can't because if it all comes together, it could magically happen.

Roster changes: Play Ty Cobb in RF, with Sisler going to 1B and Foxx to DH. Bat Sisler in the spot vacated by Jacobson.

Go to a four-man pitching rotation with the current top four SPs, and set pitch through trouble/start on short rest/rack up pitch counts all to +5. I realise this is what broke the Daydreamers' rotation, but oh well.

This defense is laughably bad. I get Pratt, that's a result of my carrying no shortstops on my 25, but Dykes and the 2B platoon are shameful. Anybody got some solid defensive infielders to sell?

Yes. Yes I do. I have Larry Doyle and Billy Rogell and Art Fletcher available. What are you offering?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Pick 'em Contest!

Expansion Owners!

How would you like an extra sandwich pick in the dispersal draft?

All you have to do is pick the winners of the Gauntlet rounds and the winners, number of games, and score of the final game of playoff series. With any luck, ToiletofSadness will be running this so I don't have to, so this is more of an introduction, as well as a chance to get your feet wet.

For the first pick 'em, choose the two winners of the Wildcard Gauntlet. Since some teams have a better shot than others, you can win more points by picking the longshots. I've listed the number of points you get for correctly picking each team below.

Pick TWO!
Antarctica Unspecifieds (1 point)
Coburns (1 point)
Cleveland Unicorns (3 points)
Oneida Mighty Spooners (4 points)
Web 2.o Bloggers (4 points)
Dubai Dervishes (10 points)

Also, to stop Mornacale for whining...who am I kidding, at best this will reduce the whining...

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Gauntlet gamble time! I have no alterations to make to my current pitching and sliders.

Lineup vs. LHP

LF Zack Wheat
2B Joe Morgan
DH Jack Clark
RF Chuck Klein
1B Jack Clark
CF Bob Elliott
SS Arky Vaughan
C Ivan Rodriguez
3B Pablo Sandoval

vs. RHP

LF Zack Wheat
2B Joe Morgan
DH Miguel Cabrera
RF Chuck Klein
1B Al Oliver
CF Bob Elliott
SS Arky Vaughan
C Ivan Rodriguez
3B Wade Boggs

Bench
Platooned players plus
Carlos Beltran
Buster Posey

Minors
Joey Votto
Mike Sweeney
Johnny Damon
Bob Eliott
Joe Gordon
Buddy Bell

Bograt
Nov 4, 2009

MagNIFicent

I'm going with Coburns and Bloggers to win the Wildcard Gauntlet. I know the Bloggers are somewhat of a longshot, but since life hates Smasher, I figured events will conspire to make him have to deal with Mornacale's spreadsheets for just that much longer.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Pesky subs in for Doerr while he is injured. Platoon them once he's well.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Wildcard Gauntlet Roster:

Lineups:

2B Rod Carew/Ryne Sandberg
RF Mel Ott
LF Ted Williams
3B George Brett/Mike Schmidt
1B Jimmie Foxx
CF Bernie Williams
DH Chuck Klein
C Jorge Posada
SS Barry Larkin

C Don Slaught (catches for Lee & Stieb)
SS Derek Jeter
OF Eric Davis

Pitching:

SP Greg Maddux
SP Dave Stieb
SP Bert Blyleven
SP Cliff Lee

CL Tom Henke
SU Goose Gossage
SR Jeff Reardon
SR John Franco
MR Paul Assenmacher
LR Tom Seaver
MU Luis Tiant

Full Roster with years for reference:

C Jorge Posada (1997)
C Don Slaught (1983)
1B Jimmie Foxx (1927)
UT George Brett (1983)
2B Ryne Sandberg (1985)
2B Rod Carew (1975)
SS Derek Jeter (1997)
SS Barry Larkin (1987)
3B Mike Schmidt (1978)
4C Mel Ott (1933)
LF Ted Williams (1939)
CF Bernie Williams (1997)
OF Brian Giles (1995)
RF Chuck Klein (1929)
OF Eric Davis (1987)
UT Willie Stargell (1965)

SP Bert Blyleven (1975)
SP Greg Maddux (1994)
SP Luis Tiant (1966)
SP Clifton Lee (2004)
SP Tom Seaver (1984)
SP Mike Garcia (1954)
SP Orel Hershiser (1995)
SP Dave Stieb (1985)
SW Eppa Rixey (1913)
SW Sonny Siebert (1966)
RP Tom HEN-KE (1992)
RP Goose Gossage (1984)
RP Jeff Reardon (1981)
RP John Franco (1987)
RP Bill Campbell (1975)
RP Paul Assenmacher (1995)

Home Stadium: the Ring of Iron (Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, 330/385/402/385/330 [final dimensions])

Strategy (Rate on a scale from -5 to +5)

Hit and Run: -3
Sacrifice Bunt: -5
Squeeze Play: -3
Trying for extra bases: -2
Stealing Bases: -2
Aggressively Tagging Up: -2
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -1
Giving Intentional Walks: -4
Pitching Around Good Hitters: +1
Bringing the Infield In: -2
Guarding the Lines: +1
Making Cutoff Throws: +1
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: -2
Bringing in Pinch Runners: +1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: +1
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: +1
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: -1
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: +2

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
There's no DH in the Wildcard Gauntlet. After all, these are all no-DH teams.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Just made a minor change to my poor team's orders. No, I didn't drop Snuffy, you monster.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Lets blow this thing up.

Lineup Changes
1. Eckstein - SS
2. Kennedy - 2B
3. Pafko - CF
4. Salmon - RF
5. Hack - 3B
6. Anderson - LF
7. Spiezio - 1B
8. Molina - C ( 5 on 1 for Joey G.)
9. Glaus -DH as needed

Bullpen
CL - K-Rod
SU - Percival

The rest of the Bullpen can do whatever they want.

Pick 'em
Bloggers
And
Coburns

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

All you have to do is pick the winners of the Gauntlet rounds and the winners, number of games, and score of the final game of playoff series. With any luck, ToiletofSadness will be running this so I don't have to, so this is more of an introduction, as well as a chance to get your feet wet.
Absolutely not a problem.

To the expansion owners: scoring rules for this special Gauntlet round will be different than the rest of them, but I'll explain all that when the time comes.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pick'Em!

Dubai Dervishes and Coburns

Monathin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 1, 2013

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Coburns and Unicorns

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Pick 'em Contest!

Pick TWO!

I like me a longshot.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

There's no DH in the Wildcard Gauntlet. After all, these are all no-DH teams.

Ah, OK. Was thinking normal Gauntlet rules. Klein warms the bench, then.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Pick TWO!

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.
Pick 'Em:

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Pick 'Em:

Dubai Dervishes
Coburns

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Also, to stop Mornacale for whining...who am I kidding, at best this will reduce the whining...

"The ratings won't be all that different," he said.

But seriously, thanks.

e: Can I use my third ratings challenge on Barry Bonds's 88/92, because what?

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 1, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Mornacale posted:

"The ratings won't be all that different," he said.

But seriously, thanks.

e: Can I use my third ratings challenge on Barry Bonds's 88/92, because what?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, then, I'll just platoon him with McCutchen believe in Lord Barrold, from whom all graces flow. The time for blogs has past, now we put our destiny in Barry's hands. :pray:

We are prepared.

Notes:
- We'd like to take this opportunity to move the rest of our fences in to minimum depth.
- Bill Freehan should be personal catcher for either Old Hoss or Chief Bender. If Freehan is better defensively than Fisk, catch Old Hoss; otherwise, catch Bender. Also, if it's possible to ensure that he catches any time Vaughn or Holtzman make a spot start, that would be great.
- A -1 Start on Short Rest should just encourage occasional spot starts, right? It shouldn't make my manager go insane and switch to a 3-man rotation, right?
- Thanks again for posting my stuff. :love:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I am rooting hard for the Bloggers to make the playoffs because this remains hilarious.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I strongly considered going Full Bloggers and not even starting Bonds, but I decided to go the other way. We shall see what results ensue.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

GrickleGrass posted:

Pick 'Em:

Now why would you do that :ohdear:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Brian Downing goes back to being the catcher for my team and hopefully doesn't injure himself again.

Let the game take care of replacing Home Run Baker for the first week and platoon Crawford/Kelly and Stone/Monday for a month to get rid of fatigue.

Pick'em

I have put in motion ways to make sure both the Unicorns and the Bloggers will make it into the playoffs. Now there is still the possibility of the officials not accepting their "gifts" but I mean when has that ever happened? :20bux: :20bux: :20bux:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Pick TWO!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Replace Fred McGriff with John Olerud. Put Dave Stieb in Vean Gregg's spot in the rotation as soon as he's recovered.

Pick 'em:
Cleveland Unicorns
Oneida Spooners

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

CVE posted:

Brian Downing goes back to being the catcher for my team and hopefully doesn't injure himself again.

Let the game take care of replacing Home Run Baker for the first week and platoon Crawford/Kelly and Stone/Monday for a month to get rid of fatigue.

Pick'em

I have put in motion ways to make sure both the Unicorns and the Bloggers will make it into the playoffs. Now there is still the possibility of the officials not accepting their "gifts" but I mean when has that ever happened? :20bux: :20bux: :20bux:

You do realize this is the last month of the regular season and you're nearly 15 GB, right?

"Resting for a month" is basically "replacing" at this point.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Let's see here...

Send down Bill Skowron
Bring up Maicer Izturis

New Lineups
Vs RHP

1. 2B: Jose Vidro ('04 Expos)
2. 1B: Nick Johnson ('04 Expos)
3. CF: Mickey Mantle ('54 Yanks)
4. LF: Enos Slaughter ('42 Cardinals)
5. C: Yogi Berra ('54 Yanks)
6. RF: Stan Musial ('42 Cardinals)
7. DH: Walker Cooper ('54 Yanks)
8. 3B: Gil McDonald ('54 Yanks)
9. SS: Marty Marion ('42 Cardinals)

Vs LHP

1. 2B: Jose Vidro ('04 Expos)
2. RF: Enos Slaughter ('54 Yanks)
3. 1B: Stan Musial ('42 Cardinals)
4. CF: Mickey Mantle ('54 Yanks)
5. C: Walker Cooper ('42 Cardinals)
6. DH: Yogi Berra ('54 Yanks)
7. LF: Gene Woodling ('54 Cardinals)
8. 3B: Maicer Izturis ('04 Expos)
9. SS: Marty Marion ('42 Cardinals)

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

Pitching changes:

SP Nomo
SP Chacin
SP D. Martinez
SP Valdez
SP Garcia

CL Putz
SU Brothers
SR T. Martinez
SR Osuna
MR Park
LR Moyer

Also, please use Cargo in left for the remainder of the season.

Mornacale, can we agree on Jackson, Radinsky, and Belisle for Holtzman? I think Guardado is better than all three, but you're welcome to disagree.

Pick TWO!
Coburns (1 point)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

NotThatSamBeckett posted:

Mornacale, can we agree on Jackson, Radinsky, and Belisle for Holtzman? I think Guardado is better than all three, but you're welcome to disagree.

You may be right about Guardado. Mogul doesn't seem fond of him in the sims I've run, but he was pretty good in the real world.

Anyway, are Rhoads and Wicker a sticking point for you? My lottery tickets. :qq:

e: Also why are so many people picking the Bloggers? Oh god this is so much pressure. :derp:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Grinnblade posted:

You do realize this is the last month of the regular season and you're nearly 15 GB, right?

"Resting for a month" is basically "replacing" at this point.

Well Home Run Baker is injured for the first week (7 days of injury left) so that's the only reason for that and if you can tell me that the sore condition won't lead to anything troublesome during this last month then I'll gladly call the platoon off.

Obviously I could totally throw the last month to get a better draft position but that would hardly be sporting even though it would be a move that would make Ted DiBiasi proud.

I would like if someone would go over the needs of the EC teams to get a picture which of my horrible fielders needs to be replaced with a first draft pick etc. Granted this can wait until we got our first deaths and thus the players for the Dispersal Draft.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mornacale posted:

e: Also why are so many people picking the Bloggers? Oh god this is so much pressure. :derp:

Either you win, which lets us win, or you lose, in which case EVERYONE wins.

Also: No go with no Lohrman?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
If Bill Lohrman is potentially holding up a trade, both sides need to seriously rethink how useful the trade will be.

CVE posted:

I would like if someone would go over the needs of the EC teams to get a picture which of my horrible fielders needs to be replaced with a first draft pick etc. Granted this can wait until we got our first deaths and thus the players for the Dispersal Draft.

I could do a quick once over of people's rosters once the EC is over, with the caveat that you won't know which players will be available in the draft.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

UZworm posted:

Now why would you do that :ohdear:

Because nobody had picked that particular combo yet... I mean, uh, I believe in you. Now don't gently caress this up for me and the Pope. No pressure.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Dynamo League Wildcard Gauntlet

: And it's now time for Dynamo League Wildcard Gauntlet. The first two teams to reach 90 games will take be awarded the two wildcard slots, and face each other in a one-game playoff for a spot in the Dynamo League Divisional Series. The remainder of the teams will be placed into the Gauntlet according to their performance in this round.
: That's right, Smasher. In addition, the Expansion owners have made some predictions of their own. Let's take a look:

Antarctica Unspecifieds
1 point if picked correctly

Pander (SAD)
mooseontheloose (HRV)

Coburns
1 point if picked correctly

Bograt (TIJ)
ScottyJSno(LOV)
Monathin (CNT)
theacox (CER)
cbx (DEC)
NotThatSamBeckett (PAR)

Cleveland Unicorns
3 points if picked correctly

theacox (CER)
GrickleGrass (MAN)
CVE (MDM)
mooseontheloose (HRV)
Gabriel Pope (OMA)

Oneida Mighty Spooners
4 points if picked correctly

Senerio (NOW)
GrickleGrass (MAN)
Gabriel Pope (OMA)

Web 2.0 Bloggers
4 points if picked correctly

Bograt (TIJ)
ScottyJSno (LOV)
Senerio (NOW)
Pander (SAD)
CVE (MDM)
NotThatSamBeckett (PAR)

Dubai Dervishes
10 points if picked correctly

Monathin (CNT)
cbx (DEC)

Not Picking
Atlantis Aquamen
Brooklyn BABiPs
Idaho Potatoes
Jacksonville Jobbers
RVA Beard Leaguers
Walney Rakers

: This is surprising, a lot of people are taking the Bloggers, despite the fact that I hate them and want them to die an ignominious death. Also, there's not a lot of evidence that they can compete, especially with the crappy roll that Barry Bonds got. I guess a lot of people are drinking the Morna-Kool-Aid. Not many people taking the Unspecifieds, either, which seems like a mistake, as they've been more than solid in the regular season.
: I assume that's because the Unspecifieds' rotation looks a bit shaky.
: Shaky or not, they've gotten the job done for two seasons in a row, that deserves a bit more respect that people are showing them. Well, let's get started...

: Unspecs get off to a decent start.
: Bloggers and Unicorns too.
: drat it.

: drat IT, BLOGGERS, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!
: It looks like it just might be a close one as-
: DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!

: YES! The Bloggers are falling apart! Everything is working out! Everything!
: And it looks like the Unicorns have got on a hot streak, and are looking good for the

: Looks like the teams are struggling to make any headway, with most of the teams within a few games of each other.
: Except for the Dervishes, they're...well...they're not going to make it.

: The top five teams are within three games of each other as the Coburns start rolling.
: These teams are all around the same quality, so there's a good chance that this just comes down to who had the biggest head start.

: And we're heading into the home stretch, as the Unspecifieds and Coburns need only three wins apiece to clinch wildcard berths.
: With time running out, it looks like it's going to be up to the Unicorns or Spooners to make one last run, but I'm not sure they have the time to do it.

: Very close to the end now, Unspecs and Coburns neck-and-neck, each just one win away, but the Spooners are just two wins away and the Unicorns three. Any of them could still make it.
:

: Coburns beat the Bloggers, and that's their 90th win! They will make it to the postseason, and that has got to make Warm Sarsaparilla feel good, just one season after having two of his teams relegated!
: And who will join him in the wildcard playoff game?

: Spooners catch up, and now they're just one win away! It's coming down to this, which team will win a game first?
: I don't think anyone saw the Spooners making it to the playoffs at the beginning of the season, so if they can pull this off...

: But no! They can't! The Unspecifieds win first! blackmongoose will finally make the playoffs after eight seasons!
: And that's just a tough break for the Spooners. They really had a shot.

: And that will do it for the Wildcard Gauntlet. Unspecs and Coburns advance, and everyone trying to pick an underdog learned an important lesson in why underdogs are not favorites.
: That they did, Smasher, that they did.

Team Statistics

Pick 'em Points

Pander (SAD) - 1 point
mooseontheloose (HRV) - 1 point
Bograt (TIJ) - 1 point
ScottyJSno(LOV) - 1 point
Monathin (CNT) - 1 point
theacox (CER) - 1 point
cbx (DEC) - 1 point
NotThatSamBeckett (PAR) - 1 point

Everyone Else - NOTHING!

MORE Pick 'em!
Pick TWO to survive
Burma Imperialists
Cleveland Commies
Rochester Generics
Spokane Air Raids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
So I was the only team to use a 4-man rotation and it killed me, basically? I thought a couple others did so also.

e: Does this suggest that a 4-man rotation in the real gauntlet is a bad idea, or is that schedule more spread out?

e2: Nevermind, looking again it's just a weird presentation thing, lots of other teams have a guy marked as their #5 starter who didn't pitch much. My pitching was just pure dogshit. Welp.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 2, 2013