Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Loaf32 posted:

Is it the same as what they (re?)printed in Precious Metal?

I couldn't say for certain, since the blurb for that book mentions additional material, but I imagine it's mostly the same.

watt par posted:

e2: the meter change is even more abrupt and gnarly in the earlier faster live version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKbLRMMRq8g

Interesting, I don't think I've heard that recording before! I have a number of bootlegs from the '94 tour, but that's a new one for me. Those recordings are well worth seeking out, as you can actually hear "Dopesmoker" develop over the course of the tour. They never play it -or any of the songs, for that matter- the same way twice.

I really like the fast version as well, and I actually think some of the riffs work better at a faster tempo than what's on the album. I particularly like "10-11-12" in the early stages of the tour, where they play it at an absolutely blistering tempo. It really highlights the time signature trickery that passes mostly unnoticed in the ultra-slow version.

On the flip side, the intro and guitar solos definitely benefited from a slower tempo. The first guitar solo and the leadup to it is probably my favorite section of the entire song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
New Boris info:

quote:

New Release Info.
boris "目をそらした瞬間 -the thing which solomon overlooked- chronicle"
REMASTER 4CD LIMITED BOX SET
2013/03/20 Release

目をそらした瞬間 -the things which solomon over looked-
1. scene 2
2. a bao a qu
3. 見せ続ける死角 -The dead angle which it continues showing-

目をそらした瞬間 2 -the things which solomon over looked 2-
1. カレハテタサキ -no ones grieve part 2-
2. dual effusion
3. 無残の涙 -merciless-
4. もう一枚の残像 -an another after image-

目をそらした瞬間 3 -the things which solomon over looked 3-
1. leviathan
2. 思い出せないこと -dimly tale-
3. カレハテタサキ -no ones grieve part 1-
4. sola stone

目をそらした瞬間 extra -the things which solomon over looked extra-
1. 一秒の長さ -length of eternity-
2. ケモノピーク -kemono peak
3. howl part1
4. 宴 -unritual-
5. quadruplex
6. ディスチャージ -grave new world-
7. howl part2

guest players:
seiichirou morikawa (血と雫, Z.O.A), michio kurihara

DYMC188
6,300yen(Tax in)
Daymare Recordings

boris "präpara" vinyl.
1st pressing limited copy 180g.
2013/03/06 Release

side a
1. december
2. 哀歌 -elegy-
3. evil stack 3
4. 砂時計 -monologue-
5. method of error

side b
6. bataille sucre
7. perforated line
8. コップの内側 -castel in the air-
9. mirano
10. カンヴァス -canvas-
11. maeve

produced by boris & shinobu narita

DYMV995
3,675yen(Tax in)
Daymare Recordings

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Another reason I think we should have the glorious riff chart in the OP.

This is great, Dopesmoker was basically my intro into the world of doom/stoner metal (what a great place to start) and will never get old to me. For those of you who haven't checked out the documentary Such Hawks, Such Hounds, here's a small 8-minute documentary on the development of Dopesmoker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIyj--J43R0

Btw, the full Such Hawks, Such Hounds documentary is available on youtube.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

QPZIL posted:

New Boris info:

Awesome, I love The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked but the first record is tricky and expensive to get hold of. Looks like additional new material too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Bongripper/Hate split with what I assume is a mastered version of Fisting is out for pre-order, digital download and streaming tomorrow.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

casual poster posted:

This is great, Dopesmoker was basically my intro into the world of doom/stoner metal (what a great place to start) and will never get old to me. For those of you who haven't checked out the documentary Such Hawks, Such Hounds, here's a small 8-minute documentary on the development of Dopesmoker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIyj--J43R0

Btw, the full Such Hawks, Such Hounds documentary is available on youtube.

Yeah, my current favorite pastime is listening to dopesmoker while learning to play it on my bass. That pretty much never gets old. I'll definitely check these out, thanks!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Bongripper/Hate split with what I assume is a mastered version of Fisting is out for pre-order, digital download and streaming tomorrow.

Got any more details on this? I wasn't on their mailing list when they sent this one out.

Thanks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nomapple posted:

Got any more details on this? I wasn't on their mailing list when they sent this one out.

Thanks.

Bon Gripper posted:

BONGRIPPER // HATE Split LP
100 Smoke / 400 Black LPs via Great Barrier Records

The BONGRIPPER // HATE Split LP will be available for pre-order, digital download and stream tomorrow, Friday, February 1 at 10:30 a.m. US Central Standard Time. You may obtain a digital copy of this release from bandcamp for whatever price you want or free (enter $0.00 for the price). Please email thebongripper@gmail.com for wholesale pricing. Records should be in our possession in about week. We anticipate shipping the pre-ordered records by February 12th. As always, we will update you if there is any change.

BONGRIPPER - Live at Roadburn 2012 2CD
1000 2CDs via Burning World / Roadburn Records

The Live at Roadburn 2012 2CD is available directly from the band as well (ahem, US people). You can stream and download (pay what you want) from the Burning World / Roadburn Records’ bandcamp page located at http://burningworldrecords.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-roadburn-2012. The 2LP (Satan Worshipping Doom Set) will be available soon. Please email us for combined shipping with the new split LP.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
in case y'all forgot, Belzebong are the tits.

http://belzebong.bandcamp.com/album/sonic-scapes-weedy-grooves

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I did forget - you're absolutely right, it's some really solid stoner-doom. Not too original but gently caress it, sometimes that's just what you want.

Will be eagerly picking up the new Bongripper today! New Cult of Luna's out, too.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The 2LP (Satan Worshipping Doom Set)

:stare: The what

e: ahh gotcha, I thought maybe they were doing some sort of rerelease of the record + the live version or something

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 2, 2013

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

It's their Live at Roadburn album where they did SWD in it's entirety.

Nabbed a smoke vinyl of the split, pretty happy with that.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

ethan posted:

It's their Live at Roadburn album where they did SWD in it's entirety.

Any reason why Hail was not played? Or was it just a lack of time?

On another note, I know I only recently got into the stoner/doom style, but I always enjoy finding someone else that likes Sleep or Bongripper, it's just a silent nod of "yeah, you like good music too."

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

casual poster posted:

Any reason why Hail was not played? Or was it just a lack of time?

On another note, I know I only recently got into the stoner/doom style, but I always enjoy finding someone else that likes Sleep or Bongripper, it's just a silent nod of "yeah, you like good music too."

Hail is up to stream from the same album on their bandcamp. :confused:

http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-roadburn-2012

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it was the first track they played.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Sorry, I didn't even have a chance to listen to it, I just read what was written and assumed they hadn't put it in. My bad.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Hmmm, Fu Manchu is playing at a sweet rear end bar that's only an hour away from me in April. Not really my cup of tea nowadays but I might not be able to pass it up.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I never can decide if Thou qualifies as sludge metal or black metal but either way they are supremely brutal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie0LuRRoOCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCEwNDyuOxI

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Thou is fuckin' fantastic, one of my favorite bands. I'd say they're on the sludge side of things, with that thick crushing guitar tone and some slow as Hell riffs.

They have a ton of albums, and as far as I know they're all available for free from either the band or label page. I'll find the link when I get home today.

E: I was supposed to see Thou and WitTR in NYC at a CD release party but ended up having a tooth pulled that day. Just about the only concert I regret missing.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 4, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The Gasmask posted:

Thou is fuckin' fantastic, one of my favorite bands. I'd say they're on the sludge side of things, with that thick crushing guitar tone and some slow as Hell riffs.

They have a ton of albums, and as far as I know they're all available for free from either the band or label page. I'll find the link when I get home today.

E: I was supposed to see Thou and WitTR in NYC at a CD release party but ended up having a tooth pulled that day. Just about the only concert I regret missing.

They have awesome album art as well:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
What is the best Thou album to start with? They were recommended to me pretty recently.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

nomapple posted:

What is the best Thou album to start with? They were recommended to me pretty recently.

I think Peasant is their best album. It's my favorite, at least.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

nomapple posted:

I'd start with Tyrant and then Peasant (they are both excellent albums and I have a hard time ranking one better than the other; I'm just going chronologically).

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

The Gasmask posted:

It was the band's page, here: http://noladiy.org/thoupast.html

Also, they have a new full-length coming out later this year.

E: They're also one of my favorite bands. I'm bummed because they've made at least 2 European tours in the time I've known about them and neither has extended to Finland.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 4, 2013

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Thanks a lot for the link, I'm still new and have never heard of this band, really liking them.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Necro-tron posted this on his Facebook wall as "Christian jazz" and I happen to think it's pretty awesome. I think you will too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVINOkc0nJE

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
:woop: :woop: :woop: More dates added!

quote:

BORIS US TOUR 2013
04/23 San Diego, CA @ The Casbah
04/24 Phoenix, AZ @ The Crescent Ballroom
04/26 Denton, TX @ Rubber Gloves
04/27 Austin, TX @ Carson Creek - Austin Psych Fest
04/29 Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
04/30 Carrboro, NC @ Cat's Cradle
05/01 Washington DC @ Rock and Roll Hotel *
05/02 Washington DC @ Rock and Roll Hotel *
05/03 Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre of Living Arts
05/04 Allston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall *
05/05 Allston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall *
05/06 New York, NY @ Le Poisson Rouge *
05/07 New York, NY @ Le Poisson Rouge *
05/09 Cleveland, OH @ Grog Shop
05/10 Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall *
05/11 Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall *
05/12 St. Louis, MO @ Firebird
05/13 Lincoln, NE @ Bourbon Theater
05/14 Denver, CO @ Bluebird
05/18 Seattle, WA @ The Crocodile *
05/19 Seattle, WA @ The Crocodile *
05/21 San Francisco, CA @ Rickshaw Stop *
05/22 San Francisco, CA @ Rickshaw Stop *
05/23 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echoplex *
05/24 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echoplex *

Yay NC!

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
So the new Sunn album is really great

http://excellentmusicrecords.co.uk/sunnsquare.html

e: I've been tricked, it's not them. Still good tho

Asshole Masonanie fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 6, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HTML5 posted:

So the new Sunn album is really great

http://excellentmusicrecords.co.uk/sunnsquare.html

e: I've been tricked, it's not them. Still good tho

SUNN ■]]] BEAR NO RELATION TO SUNN O))) OR SOUTHERN LORD IN ANY WAY.

Wow... yeah, that's not shady at all.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It's about time all the cool band names were taken.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

QPZIL posted:

"NOTE THE 90 DEGREE ANGLES."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That's a better gimmick than Duran Duran Duran.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Listened to Northless - Clandestine Abuse today. Now I'm wondering if you guys could tell me whether they have an album with a different vocal delivery/style, since that was really the only thing keeping me from enjoying what was otherwise a pretty solid doom vibe.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Does anyone know a good source for band merchandise such as t-shirts? I want to support these bands and get some sweet shirts.

The best I know of is http://www.rockabilia.com/ but their selection is lacking unless you're looking for the latest Avenged Sevenfold gear.

Also if anyone spots a particularly awesome design relating to the bands in this thread, it'd be cool if you shared it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

It doesn't stop there. Just take one look at their "artists"...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's a pretty weird collection of cover bands, and looks to me like it's probably just one or two actual bands under a whole load of different names. Anal Aardvark made me laugh though.

e: Really hope Bogshitter is a Bumsnogger tribute band. Although their only track so far is an Enya cover. :psyduck:

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 7, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

big scary monsters posted:

It's a pretty weird collection of cover bands, and looks to me like it's probably just one or two actual bands under a whole load of different names. Anal Aardvark made me laugh though.

e: Really hope Bogshitter is a Bumsnogger tribute band. Although their only track so far is an Enya cover. :psyduck:

" FUCKBUCKET are brilliant. Really execellent."

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

QPZIL posted:

:woop: :woop: :woop: More dates added!

Yay NC!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I love seeing shows at the Cradle.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Ramsus posted:

Does anyone know a good source for band merchandise such as t-shirts? I want to support these bands and get some sweet shirts.

The best I know of is http://www.rockabilia.com/ but their selection is lacking unless you're looking for the latest Avenged Sevenfold gear.

Also if anyone spots a particularly awesome design relating to the bands in this thread, it'd be cool if you shared it.

Usually, I just buy straight from the bands/record labels. I think it's a more direct way of supporting the bands than going through sites like Rockabilia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
In light of the plagiarism, Sunn O))) just posted on Facebook that they have a new collaboration album with Boris coming out in march!!

I'm so excited, Altar is amazing.