Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

loving banks! Still waiting on the divorce-sale title to get sent out from the bank for the DRZ, but the seller is dropping the bike off on Saturday regardless, so at least I will have it at home to clean up and get ready. It's not like I can ride it in this freaky winter weather anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

The only BB engines that I'd trust would be those that were verified to be built by Eddie at Sisinero Speed Works in CO. And even then, it's a questionable buy because if you have any issues with the engine you can count on it being at least $1500 (it's drat hard to find cheap DRZ engines that are ready to go, especially if you're starting from a tuned platform and you're trying to replicate that), and hey, that's 6k and you can find a 690 for that price with better suspension, longer maintenance intervals, a bigger tank, vastly superior gas mileage, range, etc.
This put a smile on my face.
I have a DRZ that I bought for $1500.
It has a 5 gallon tank, the stocker came with.
I also have a big bore kit that came with it - it is not installed.
And?
I live in Denver.

:getin:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah at that price you may as well go hog wild.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kenny Rogers posted:

This put a smile on my face.
I have a DRZ that I bought for $1500.
It has a 5 gallon tank, the stocker came with.
I also have a big bore kit that came with it - it is not installed.
And?
I live in Denver.

:getin:

Go see Dr. Sizneros

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Go see Dr. Sizneros
He's the one they call Doctor Feelgood...

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Should have bought a 690!!!

Well I know that, now.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The R6 is now sold (at a nice profit even). Now I need to find a non-sketchy supermoto seller :(

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took delivery of the DRZ yesterday. It's still a bit dirty because when I went to clean it (with hot water/soap) the cloth was freezing fast to any metal bits. Maybe next weekend when it's supposed to be above freezing I will clean it more throughly. Now my garage is totally overcrowded (three motorcycles, one Mustang, four bicycles, lawn mower etc.) but in the spring the bikes will move outside to give the GT500 room to breathe.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imperador do Brasil posted:

in the spring the bikes will move outside to give the GT500 room to breathe.

:catstare:

I think you have that backward

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:catstare:

I think you have that backward

Nope. GT500 + weather = no bueno. I have a little covered area behind my garage the bikes can go under when it's raining.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

So, now that I have cash I'm looking again at the bored out DRZ pictured below. I got some more info on it and it seems the bike isn't clapped out or a scam (won't know until I go take a look).

Guy wants 4500 for it (listed in the ad). It's got a legit 1800 miles on it and the guy dropped his price to 4200 for me when I mentioned pricing. It's a 2009.

I'm about to email him back and offer 3800. Would you guys pay 3800 for this DRZ? It's got FCR / hotcams / 434 kit / new bridgestones. If not 3800, would 4000 be too much? DRZ pricing is always all over the place so I'm just trying to calibrate whether or not I'd be paying too much.

I'm inclined to say 3800 is a pretty decent deal if I can get it...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

JP Money posted:

So, now that I have cash I'm looking again at the bored out DRZ pictured below. I got some more info on it and it seems the bike isn't clapped out or a scam (won't know until I go take a look).

Guy wants 4500 for it (listed in the ad). It's got a legit 1800 miles on it and the guy dropped his price to 4200 for me when I mentioned pricing. It's a 2009.

I'm about to email him back and offer 3800. Would you guys pay 3800 for this DRZ? It's got FCR / hotcams / 434 kit / new bridgestones. If not 3800, would 4000 be too much? DRZ pricing is always all over the place so I'm just trying to calibrate whether or not I'd be paying too much.

I'm inclined to say 3800 is a pretty decent deal if I can get it...

Who did the upgrade work and are you getting all the stock bits with it? 4000 would be a good price (to me i'm in a different country) if you did, that way if the big bore did let go you could put it back to stock cheaply

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you get the stock stuff with it its definitely worth it. If not, you need to feel the situation out, but 3500-4000 is in the normal range for DRZ-SM's around here.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

If the guy has all the stock cams / cylinder I'll probably feel comfortable with 4. It all hinges on riding it / checking it out but I don't think that's outrageous for an 09 with all the mods done. You could certainly do worse for the price ie 2005's that people are trying to get 5000 out of....

The bore kit / cams / etc were done by a large motorcycle dealer in Houston that does a lot of work for people. I'll be asking to see the paperwork for it and stuff of course to make sure this checks out. Waiting to hear back from him now on whether he has all the stock parts before I make an offer.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Got a Seat Concepts kit. Found an upholstery shop that installed it for a $20 bill. It's great. Thanks for the recommendations.

I tried to take photos to compare the seat height and angle to the Corbin, which can burn in hell. I can no longer flat-foot the bike, but that's OK.

(Corbin)

(SC)

Foam is much softer too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Someone please talk some sense into me and tell me why this is a bad idea for me before I try buying this:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3591254940.html

I've only been riding for half a year, with my first bike being an SV650. I've tried out my friend's DRZ400SM, which I've found inspires the inner hooligan in me to go find new and creative ways to interpret California vehicle code.

A big concern I have is the reliability of these bikes since KTM seems to mostly make high strung race bikes. I believe the 2008-2010 run of the 690 SMC is far less likely to randomly blow up than the previous generation, but can someone confirm? Additionally, are the basic maintenance intervals sensible on this bike? (ie measured in miles rather than race hours).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
drat that's a good deal on an SMC, especially out here in the bay.

They're as reliable as a DRZ with proper care - need to clean 2 screen filters, change 2 paper filters, and use expensive oil each oil change. Also, run good gas, keep the exhaust system stock, and take it off the bad gas map.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 5, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

yergacheffe posted:

Someone please talk some sense into me and tell me why this is a bad idea for me before I try buying this:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3591254940.html

I've only been riding for half a year, with my first bike being an SV650. I've tried out my friend's DRZ400SM, which I've found inspires the inner hooligan in me to go find new and creative ways to interpret California vehicle code.

A big concern I have is the reliability of these bikes since KTM seems to mostly make high strung race bikes. I believe the 2008-2010 run of the 690 SMC is far less likely to randomly blow up than the previous generation, but can someone confirm? Additionally, are the basic maintenance intervals sensible on this bike? (ie measured in miles rather than race hours).

God drat you. If that were near me at all I'd be there. That's a great deal. If nothing else, you can flip it easily if you don't like it / it's too much power.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Finally got a headlight that works:

It's from a european Yamaha Fazer. My buddy had a FZR600 that he was going to convert but broke one of the mounting tabs and gave up. I took it, epoxied the tab back on and whipped up a couple mounting brackets.

Had one of those terrible Acerbis twin headlight things, it was strictly for legal purposes. If there weren't any streetlights, you didn't want to be on it after dark.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

That thing needs some SM USD forks!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

drat that's a good deal on an SMC, especially out here in the bay.

They're as reliable as a DRZ with proper care - need to clean 2 screen filters, change 2 paper filters, and use expensive oil each oil change. Also, run good gas, keep the exhaust system stock, and take it off the bad gas map.

Yup, mine has been largely trouble free for the 4 years and 21,000 miles I've owned it. I do a lot of short journeys on mine so I've always made sure to keep ahead of the oil change schedule, typically changing at 1500-2200 miles rather than the 3000 the manual suggests. I've checked the valves about half as often too, and honestly there's barely been any movement. I've certainly never found it out of spec.

The throttle response can be very twitchy, and some bikes have a tendency to stall out at stops. These problems are usually the result of poor dealer set up and the ECU being tuned so as to scrape by euro emissions regulations. With TuneECU (free software) and a cheap ($50?) ODB2 programming cable/adapter you can adjust the throttle position sensor and tweak the emissions settings to be less aggressive, this will basically cure all of these issues.

The stock exhaust system is pretty good performance-wise although the stock silencer weighs a loving ton and gets hotter than ten thousand suns thanks to the built in catalytic converter. Performance mods are an all-or-nothing affair; The air box is tuned for the stock exhaust and just fitting a slip on (and mapping it for such) will give you only a little bit more top-end, which it robs from the low and mid range. The only way to get meaningful gains across the rev range is to get rid of the air box too and fit some kind of pod filter arrangement with the open exhaust and do some custom mapping. The bike is a handful enough without any modification though.

The only thing I would change is the cam chain tensioner. The stock hydraulic unit is lovely at maintaining pressure, making the bike noisier than it need be, and prone to collapse, which can end up with serious engine damage. Rally Raid products in the UK make a wicked manual one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The Supermoto Code - copied from a local riding forum

-Always wheelie over bridges that cross another road (for the pleasure of the ones travelling below)

-Go fast into corners as you can, and when you see God, hit the brakes...
And when a sportbike runs out wide to negotiate a switchback you should drop in on the inside and ........ observe their technique.......... and when they nearly drop it in surprise when they spot you.... pop a little wheelie on the way to the next corner.......

-When hunting sportsbikes always wait until you get a bunch of them going into a hairpin and pass them all at once...

"Five scalps that time Tonto"

-- Supermoto and fake carbon do not mix.

-tis not kosher to race on the public highways and byways.
Besides it's more fun to casually look over from your ...proper... upright position as they scramble to emulate Rossi but with little success......

-Thou shalt modify thy bike from the manufacturers specification at every oppurtunity

It shall break, Thou wilst not sweareth

Thou shalt not covert they neighbours SM...... thou shalt get one yer flippin self

Thou shalt have a fully road legal motorcycle, yeah RIGHT!

Thou shalt perfect the art of the "tactical dismount"

Thou shalt not lie...... unless asked by a representaive of the law as to whether you were speeding and is that can legal

Thou shalt deliberately and with malice aforethought attempt to wheelie in front of onlookers for the sole purpose of demonstrating the cleanliness of thine sump

Thou shalt not replace scuffed parts in the pursuit of vanity,they shall stay on the bike as testimony to your foolishness at falling off, thou shalt gain no "Kudos" from this endeavour

Thou shalt learn to change a rear tire and not gently caress it up.

Thou shalt not pay full price for anything, Thou shalt excersize the sacred practice of Blag at all times

Thou shalt be respectful of sportsbike riders and acknowledge there right to be on the same road as thou by passing them at the earliest oppurtunity and saluting their biking prowess with a well pinged stone off your rear wheel into their expensive headlight glass

Thou shalt respect thine wife with a sunday morning post coital hug and not leap off into your leathers whilst her face is still stuffed in the pillow and gasping for air

Thou shalt buy a decent bike stand

Thou shalt know the names of all local hospital Triage nurses

Thou shalt accept a piss ripping for thine own public humiliations with dignity and honour, and get the bastards back at every oppurtinity

-Thou shalt take every oppertunity to let people know what you ride, especially sportsbike riders. Then continue to tell them how good our bikes are, until they get so annoyed with you that they start to get that little vainey thing in their foreheads.

-Thou shalt (when at a trackday with sportsbike riders) make sure they overhear you when stating that your motard is putting out at least 100BHP LESS than their machines... after passing them round the outside of every corner thus pissing them right off!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Thou shalt deliberately and with malice aforethought attempt to wheelie in front of onlookers for the sole purpose of demonstrating the cleanliness of thine sump

:3:

Flying_Dane
Jan 17, 2006

Grymm & Frostbytten
Does anyone know what this is? It was on the floor next to my DRZ after I washed it. It could be from something else but I only spotted it after so now I am worried it came off the bike. I had a good look around but couldn't see where it might have come from. It is around 38mm across.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sorry for the hiatus guys! Haven't been riding my bike too much.

Can't say I'm too eager about it but selling my 07 690 SM to an internet buddy for $4,900. I've been looking at craigslist here and there for a 2008+ 690 SMC. I'll probably take it a bit more seriously now and start looking a bit more. Not 100% sure if I'll get another sumo but summer will be coming up and I know I'll hate myself if I don't...

The decent priced ones just get snatched up so quick. It's ridiculous how much they go for but I guess the plus is that i'd be able to get all my money back if I sold it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Flying_Dane posted:

Does anyone know what this is? It was on the floor next to my DRZ after I washed it. It could be from something else but I only spotted it after so now I am worried it came off the bike. I had a good look around but couldn't see where it might have come from. It is around 38mm across.

Thats the airbox drain one-way valve. There should be a little spigot coming out of the bottom panel of the airbox (on the outside of the airbox, not inside) that is the perfect size for that thing to fit over. Pop it back on there and you're good to go. Maybe tighten it with a ziptie so you dont lose it again.

It's part #9 here: http://www.bikebandit.com/2006-suzuki-dr-z400sm/o/m9748#sch508681

Its purpose is to let water out of the airbox without sucking air back in through the same hole constantly while you're riding.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 10, 2013

Flying_Dane
Jan 17, 2006

Grymm & Frostbytten

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thats the airbox drain one-way valve. There should be a little spigot coming out of the bottom panel of the airbox (on the outside of the airbox, not inside) that is the perfect size for that thing to fit over. Pop it back on there and you're good to go. Maybe tighten it with a ziptie so you dont lose it again.

It's part #9 here: http://www.bikebandit.com/2006-suzuki-dr-z400sm/o/m9748#sch508681

Its purpose is to let water out of the airbox without sucking air back in through the same hole constantly while you're riding.

Thanks mate, its been driving me crazy. Stuck a zip-tie on there now.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Finally got to take the DRZ out for my first ride on it today. I had read that it would be a lot of fun, but I wasn't expecting that much acceleration up to 60mph from a 400. Need to replace the rear tire this spring, as it's a bit squared off, but otherwise it's exactly what I was looking for.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Someone should show that to the dude who put together that hideous Mountain Dew art bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dude shoulda just got one of these:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Ok, is the DRZ "Loctite fix" really just as simple as pulling the front sprocket degreasing t,he splines, and putting some red Loctite on underneath it? The main how-to on Thumpertalk is full pages printed out, so I feel like I'm missing something.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 13, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats the gist of it, but you dont want just any threadlocker, you want what they say, as it dries in a special way.

You need to make sure you're using retaining compound and not threadlocker. I went through some rounds with it here and found some alternate numbers you can also look for: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/962463-loctite-263-vs-271/

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I used the red Permatex 271 because it's what on hand, and the novel of a howto on TT said, "Loctite271 or equivalent."

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Today was an unseasonably warm 47 degrees in central PA so I took the opportunity to ride both bikes, and took a picture of the DRZ just 'cause.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Today was an unseasonably warm 47 degrees in central PA so I took the opportunity to ride both bikes, and took a picture of the DRZ just 'cause.

Loved it today here in SE PA. Couldn't ride too much because my tires are bald as gently caress and I dropped my insurance to its most basic for the winter but it was great to hoon around a little and take advantage of lane splitting during the 4:00 traffic I usually get jammed up in.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Hey the posts were from like 2 weeks ago but where is a place to get different inexpensive decal kits for a DRZ? Would love to see some of the options available. :)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think i posted these a while ago, but I heard today that for some reason the australian police hate fun and have taken my buddies bikes away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FhmQk5iOUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPZm_wndh70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pkdGuCXRx0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Took them away because of those videos? Or because of some non-related event?

• Locked thread