Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Dorroile posted:

Don't forget SMT: Imagine, which takes place between SMTI and SMTII despite not really having anything at all to do with anything!

I played a little bit of it and I always thought it was silly to put it there because canon dictates that it was the law faction who won.

really should have done it after TDE from Nocturne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masakado
Aug 6, 2008

neongrey posted:

The Hijiri/Aleph thing was a musing by an FAQ writer (a good one, but still) and disavowed not very long after, I'm amazed it's held on this long.

This, a million times this. I was the FAQ writer in question and wrote that when I was working a lovely job with long periods of doing nothing and way too much time on my hands. I was never really serious about it in the first place and never expected people to latch onto it but welp.

For content, the games that have direct connection are Megami Tensei 1&2, Shin Megami Tensei 1&2, Devil Summoner & Soul Hackers, and Majin Tensei 1&2. Dunno about Last Bible. There's also a cameo in Persona 1 that goes a little beyond cameo such that you can say that Shin Megami Tensei If... is probably connected to it. NINE is supposed to take place in between the gap in SMT1 but so is Giten Megami Tensei and they both contradict each other and were terrible games (the latter has some redeemable qualities) so can be safely ignored. Anything beyond that is fanwank and speculation.

Also I don't think it's ever explicitly spelled out which faction is the canonical winner in SMT1. The history in the manual of SMT2 jives best with a Neutral win but the SMT1 endings are nebulous enough and the events between the two games are hazy enough that a plausible scenario could be conceived for any of them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

neongrey posted:

The Hijiri/Aleph thing was a musing by an FAQ writer (a good one, but still) and disavowed not very long after, I'm amazed it's held on this long.

Masakado posted:

This, a million times this. I was the FAQ writer in question and wrote that when I was working a lovely job with long periods of doing nothing and way too much time on my hands. I was never really serious about it in the first place and never expected people to latch onto it but welp.

Well, part of the reason it might still be so prevalent is because it's mentioned in his entry over at the Megami Tensei wiki.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Didn't the first Raidou Kuzunoha game end with a bunch of time travel loving up the continuity too?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

YggiDee posted:

Didn't the first Raidou Kuzunoha game end with a bunch of time travel loving up the continuity too?

It did! http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Akarana_Corridor

I actually really liked that part.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

YggiDee posted:

Not exactly! You travel in a time/space corridor and peer into different decades. You see that the SMT 1 and 2 universe stems from the Kuzanoah universe, meaning that Raidou's adventures are all a precurser to the SMT 1 adventures. I believe the ultimate villain of DS:RK1 is from a further point in the future than SMT2, which is to my knowledge the furthest ahead that the series has gone. Nocturne is either a seperate universe (as explained in the Amala) or a predecessor to the first SMT game, which is unlikely since it seems that the True Demon ending is the canon outcome of Nocturne.

Persona is unconnected, Soul Hackers is POSSIBLY connected (and would be in the mainline SMT universe if this was the case) and I don't know if the NES titles or Devil Survivor/Strange Journey matters. I assume those are all seperate universes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Honestly unless the game straight up says "Hey here is a thing that happened in the past" (P4 -> P3, P2 -> P1, SH -> DS, SMT2 -> SMT1, etc) it really, really isn't worth worrying about.

Masakado posted:

For content, the games that have direct connection are Megami Tensei 1&2

I'm still not clear on if MT1 is meant to be an actual event that happened or if it was supposed to be the Devil Buster game.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

RentCavalier posted:

Persona is unconnected, Soul Hackers is POSSIBLY connected (and would be in the mainline SMT universe if this was the case) and I don't know if the NES titles or Devil Survivor/Strange Journey matters. I assume those are all seperate universes.

Wait, how is Soul Hackers connected? It's a sequel to Devil Summoner which I guess you could say is an alt-history version of SMT1 (there's an announcement on the radio at one point about Ambassador Thorman dying of a heart attack, and he's a major character in SMT1) but other than that it's pretty self-contained. There's not really anything to explicitly connect it with the rest of the series as far as I can remember.

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm still not clear on if MT1 is meant to be an actual event that happened or if it was supposed to be the Devil Buster game.

I can answer this one--Devil Buster was programmed by Nakajima to imprison Pazuzu after the events of MT1--you see it in the "good" ending. (i.e. the one where you side with Lucifer) MT1 actually happened since Lucifer is stuck in a block of ice after his defeat at Nakajima's hands, until he gets freed by the main character's friend mid-game. I think. I haven't played MT2 in a real long time but I remember that point sticking out to me.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 31, 2013

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

quote != edit argh

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

Wait, how is Soul Hackers connected? It's a sequel to Devil Summoner which I guess you could say is an alt-history version of SMT1 (there's an announcement on the radio at one point about Ambassador Thorman dying of a heart attack, and he's a major character in SMT1) but other than that it's pretty self-contained. There's not really anything to explicitly connect it with the rest of the series as far as I can remember.

I know that Hazama and... that one elf chick from SMT2 are people you can trade demons with at the pet shop, and Hazama is still kind of cartoonishly evil, so take that minor cameo as you will.

Genpei Turtle posted:

I can answer this one--Devil Buster was programmed by Nakajima to imprison Pazuzu after the events of MT1--you see it in the "good" ending. (i.e. the one where you side with Lucifer) MT1 actually happened since Lucifer is stuck in a block of ice after his defeat at Nakajima's hands, until he gets freed by the main character's friend mid-game. I think. I haven't played MT2 in a real long time but I remember that point sticking out to me.

Ah, ok, thanks.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

RentCavalier posted:

Persona follows off of Shin Megami Tensei If. . ., so it's another alternate timeline (in which SMT1's apocalypse doesn't happen). The female protagonist of If appears in Persona 1 and 2.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Agnostalgia posted:

Persona follows off of Shin Megami Tensei If. . ., so it's another alternate timeline (in which SMT1's apocalypse doesn't happen). The female protagonist of If appears in Persona 1 and 2.

Also one of the guys from Devil Summoner (the original Saturn one) works with her at a detective agency where you spread rumors that become reality... Which seems pretty in line for SMT, right? But then again trying to figure out the MegaTen timeline is like trying to defuse a bomb while colorblind. Fraught with danger and misinformation, all because we can't read Japanese.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

FauxGateau posted:

Also one of the guys from Devil Summoner (the original Saturn one) works with her at a detective agency where you spread rumors that become reality... Which seems pretty in line for SMT, right? But then again trying to figure out the MegaTen timeline is like trying to defuse a bomb while colorblind. Fraught with danger and misinformation, all because we can't read Japanese.

Wait, who? Is this in EP only? (I've only played IS) There's a Kuzunoha Detective Agency in IS which has the same name as the detective agency, but nobody from there is also from DS. Unless of course you want to argue that Kuzunoha Kyoji inexplicably ditched his (much superior) body in Soul Hackers in favor of the fatass that runs it. I always figured that was more of a cameo than anything else, since Devil Summoner was the concurrent thing around the time P2 came out.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

After a month long shipping comedy of errors I finally got Devil Survivor 2. Is the protagonist's hood supposed to be distorted as hell when he faces right or did I get a bootleg copy or something?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

After a month long shipping comedy of errors I finally got Devil Survivor 2. Is the protagonist's hood supposed to be distorted as hell when he faces right or did I get a bootleg copy or something?

He just has a really loving stupid hood.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
All of the characters in DS2 have terrible designs, for the record.

I like the bosses but the characters are terrible.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cityinthesea posted:

NPC Concerned Woman is great, I will fight you.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Cityinthesea posted:

Yamato is the biggest badass and so is Jungo. They both have great designs.

vv Also what that person said.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 31, 2013

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Don't sass the bunny hood. It's cute.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So counting all spin offs, how many apocalyptic events that snuffed out most of humanity have happened throughout the series?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Not nearly enough.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
How do we count games with more than one apocalypse ending?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Also, do we count the ones were you undo the apocalyptic event?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The canonical endings for all the games are where everything goes b:aaa:oom and also I get to play a gamee after it.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Screw the apocalypse, I want another game themed around cannibalism.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Iceclaw posted:

How do we count games with more than one apocalypse ending?

Add as many apocalypses as they have.

Fiend Computer posted:

Also, do we count the ones were you undo the apocalyptic event?

Yes, with an asterisk.

Why does SA have the plural for apocalypse in its spell check?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Arbite posted:

So counting all spin offs, how many apocalyptic events that snuffed out most of humanity have happened throughout the series?

I think it's quicker to name the ones that don't have apocalypses.

The only one I can be sure of there is SMT: Imagine. I don't think the first two Personas had any full-on apocalypses, but I could easily be wrong.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cleretic posted:

The only one I can be sure of there is SMT: Imagine. I don't think the first two Personas had any full-on apocalypses, but I could easily be wrong.

Hrm... does Catherine count as a Mega Ten game?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cleretic posted:

Both of the first Personas basically had mini-apocalypses. Major spoilers for P1 and P2 Like 1 dealt with a weird dream world created by a sickly teenager, where a guy used it to become a god to destroy the real world. Whereas Persona 2 dealt with rumors becoming reality to trigger an apocalyptic scenario. Also Hitler's in it. Both of them are potentially world destroying events, so I suppose that they could count as apocalypses.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Speaking of Megaten canon, I came across this image today:

I don't know how much that's actually canon, but still neat.

Edit: Er... images usually have a clicky box so you can make it bigger if you want to see it, I don't know why it isn't doing that now.

vvvv Thanks!

Snix fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 1, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Change the img tags to timg.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
If Hijiri isn't Aleph, then who is he? It seems weird that they'd include such an oddly specific fate for him, this whole curse and the like, for him NOT to be Aleph.

Of course, all that poo poo is only revealed in what was the "special edition" anyway, so god knows but...I mean it seems weird, doesn't it? That timeline is pretty neato though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
SMT's timeline is about as complex as Zelda's, but at the same time somehow more comprehensible.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Cleretic posted:

SMT's timeline is about as complex as Zelda's, but at the same time somehow more comprehensible.

It would be neat to get a SMT encyclopedia that explains the timeline and several of the odds and ends of the series like the Hyrule Historia. Will probably never happen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

gently caress, I'd buy that for my coffee table. It'd go right alongside the Japanese strategy guides for Devil Summoner 1, IS and Nocturne that I have for no real reason.

e: Also, for some reason or another, people actually want to hire anti-gravity-tit-man for their games? Why?

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 1, 2013

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

My theory is that there is a lot of overlap between video game players and people who like breasts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Handgun Harlot posted:

My theory is that there is a lot of overlap between video game players and people who like breasts.

No fan of breasts enjoys the horrors that man has unleashed. :colbert:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No fan of breasts enjoys the horrors that man has unleashed. :colbert:

Ia C'levaj! :cthulhu:

Also, in fairness, the Hijiri/Aleph thing is a pretty cool idea, so I can see why people would jump on it so readily.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My fundamental problem with devil survivor is that their eyes are too far apart. It's like he spliced the characters with cows.

He does put a shitload of effort into colouring and linework but there's only a limited amount you can do to polish a strangely proportioned turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

My fundamental problem with devil survivor is that their eyes are too far apart. It's like he spliced the characters with cows.

He does put a shitload of effort into colouring and linework but there's only a limited amount you can do to polish a strangely proportioned turd.

That WOULD explain the udders.