Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Where the gently caress is Harper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Where the gently caress is Harper?

Too afraid to use him. There's no way he'll be any good.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Part of me doesn't even want to point this out because it would be hilarious once the league was locked but I'll be nice: you need a DH, Art

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Part of me doesn't even want to point this out because it would be hilarious once the league was locked but I'll be nice: you need a DH, Art

READING COMPREHENSION!

Back to the drawing board I guess.

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 28, 2013

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Still not totally excited by this

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

jeffersonlives posted:

smdh

Unrelated: my Stan Musial Memorial Team will be in today (Monday), I'm not the last one again, am I?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Play Bryce

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Art if you're going to play that Willie Davis or Jackie Robinson at DH just loving use Harper already

uublog posted:

smdh

Unrelated: my Stan Musial Memorial Team will be in today (Monday), I'm not the last one again, am I?

No but I'm about to start harassing people who haven't gotten their teams in so please do that

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

No but I'm about to start harassing people who haven't gotten their teams in so please do that

I'll try to have mine in tonight, had to work all weekend so time sort of evaporated.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

I'll get mine together and in tonight.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Looking at his performance history, Bryce can barely hit over .250 in a 80mil league, how bad is he going to be in a 120mil league?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Someone pick me a zodiac. I was going to take NL Dog from the completely scientific method of being a Cubs fan born in 1982, but it's gone and now I'm pissed. Pissed!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Looking at his performance history, Bryce can barely hit over .250 in a 80mil league, how bad is he going to be in a 120mil league?

I, too, would want to base my decision around a performance history consisting of three uses, against teams that typically are in the ligapelota vein, loaded with cookies and players designed specifically to destroy open leagues, as opposed to the context of a somewhat restrictive league.

And to follow up with jeff, what the hell would give you pause about Bryce but not Willie Davis

Devo posted:

Someone pick me a zodiac. I was going to take NL Dog from the completely scientific method of being a Cubs fan born in 1982, but it's gone and now I'm pissed. Pissed!

AL Rabbit gets you 99 Pedro
NL Horse gets you 02 Barrold

Make your choice

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Barrold is tempting, but Pedro it is

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

AL Dog is still out there and gets 1982 Yount, the dreamiest player in the sim

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

ArtVandelay posted:

Be a true fan and shoehorn in a Nats player or two even if they aren't the best fits.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

There, are you happy, Bryce Harper is in, Willie Davis is out, and Willie Mays is here to hit some dingers. I kinda of wanted to add Gio instead of Medlen, but Medlen was so good not even homerism can make me do it.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

First run at a Zodiac team. I did this kind of quickly at work so I don't know if it sucks or not.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I've very nearly finished my Musial Memorial team. I just need to find a dude who hit for the cycle in a $700,000-ish season. That's not happening, is it? poo poo. The first time I thought I was done, I ended up with like $4M extra and I wasn't crazy about my offense so instead of simply upgrading one guy/position, I shuffled a bunch of them through various qualifiers. Lucky that a lot of guys are eligible a few different ways but the cycle one is tough because it's just a list of names/seasons, we then have to look the guy up in the WiS database to see what his actual numbers were and if he fits with the current team construction.

I was also messing around, in the early stages, with a pitching staff of 5 guys in the 200-300+ IP range and like 3 or 4 relievers and just letting the starters go the maximum pitches most of the time. I'm fairly certain that would fail to a hilarious extent but I still kinda wanna try it sometime.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Most of us used 2010 Jody Gerut as our cycle guy, he's a 200k guy.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Oh yeah, I looked past him a bunch of times and didn't even think he'd be cheap. I'll probably go with that then. I'm for some reason not completely sold on Biggio, but I have no idea why. I also probably don't have enough PA at C (I think the common goal is 700 at each position?) but ehhh. Anything more would put me over $120M and I'd like to be done tinkering with it, lest I want to spend half my morning on it. Perhaps hitting Mauer lower in the lineup will limit the problem.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

uublog posted:

(I think the common goal is 700 at each position?)

Generally, per lineup spot, you'll want:

Give or take. Park, strength of offense, league, etc. all factor in. In an OL you can typically put 1975 Gary Carter in the 9-hole and get 162 games out of him with barely any fatigue, for example.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Or you could just do what I did and get all Glasscocky in the situation.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

AlleyViper posted:

Generally, per lineup spot, you'll want:

Give or take. Park, strength of offense, league, etc. all factor in. In an OL you can typically put 1975 Gary Carter in the 9-hole and get 162 games out of him with barely any fatigue, for example.

Ah, then 640 out of Mauer and Berra hitting 7th will probably be just enough

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Okay, I am in with a crappy pun and a stadium I am hecka unsure about (Ebbets)! This is gonna be... interesting, at least!

Jeff: I have the criteria/players in a .txt file, do you want me to PM you with it or e-mail or what

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Did this pretty quickly last night until my internet went out, then finished it this morning.

I have no idea what stadium to use here

e: Fixed for backup catcher. Leaving 200k on the table but bleh I'm done

Devo fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 31, 2013

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

uublog posted:

Okay, I am in with a crappy pun and a stadium I am hecka unsure about (Ebbets)! This is gonna be... interesting, at least!

I don't know if it was intentional, but Ebbets is an inspired park for this league ("The Man" nickname originated from Dodgers fans at Ebbets having panic attacks when Stan came up to bat).

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Groucho Marxist posted:

I don't know if it was intentional, but Ebbets is an inspired park for this league ("The Man" nickname originated from Dodgers fans at Ebbets having panic attacks when Stan came up to bat).

I did not know that, so this was completely unintentional, but it gives me a recent to stay with it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

PM on WIS is best

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Okay, just sent it

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Also please enter your teams goons, four of my five stragglers are goons

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Non hall of famer 2 man band team with Bonds and Carl Mays. Trying to decide whether I should just have fun and put it in Coors, or somewhere like the dingerdome.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

With a deadballer/Bonds team if you don't put it in Coors it's basically malpractice

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Put it in Santa Fe.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Which Barry should play catcher or shortstop, or does it really even matter?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Hey Stanballers, what did you use to find players who spent their entire careers with one team? Apparently there's no good list for it which basically leads to me guessing (incorrectly) at the most expensive guys with the money I have left

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

uublog posted:

Hey Stanballers, what did you use to find players who spent their entire careers with one team? Apparently there's no good list for it which basically leads to me guessing (incorrectly) at the most expensive guys with the money I have left

MARIANO RIVERA. THERE IS NO OTHER ANSWER.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

uublog posted:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/9669 + Comment 8 on that has some pitchers. Not exhaustive, but it's something to work with.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

If you're not using 1981 Mike Schmidt you're doing it wrong.

You're even a Philly fan for chrissakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Devo posted:

If you're not using 1981 Mike Schmidt you're doing it wrong.

You're even a Philly fan for chrissakes!

I already have Ripken at third and am now maybe short-ish on starters! I mean Schmidt's a great choice obviously, but I'm trying to see who all of my options are. Or I could blow the whole poo poo up and start practically from scratch with Schmidt.

Power of Pecota posted:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/9669 + Comment 8 on that has some pitchers. Not exhaustive, but it's something to work with.

An actual productive/helpful response! Cool.

uublog fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 1, 2013

• Locked thread