Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Go in and ask for scratch duo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Re: soundcloud copyright rejection

I've been informed by an artist who does a lot on soundcloud and with a pro account who occasionally has something taken down due to copyright that Soundcloud only analyzes the first 40 seconds of an upload. He said "you can just put in some bullshit like *wooshy wishy woosh woosh* and it will work". It was pretty funny (probably doesnt translate well to text), but thought you guys might want some closure on the discussion. He also said mashups are another way some people get around it

e: forgot to mention, he had one of his mixes with HIS OWN SONG at the beginning get rejected because it was released on EMI (I think?)

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but after I got my Solo account I tried reuploading a previously rejected song and it worked fine. :saddowns:

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

mitztronic posted:

Re: soundcloud copyright rejection

I usually just open with 20 seconds of an ambient track, that seems to trick it just fine.

I got to open up for a great party on Friday, and they recorded the set, lots of UK Bass and some Tech-House. I kept it a little more mellow since it was early in the night, but the dance floor was full and moving from the get-go, super fun party. The only bummer was that the venue lost power a couple times throughout the evening. Power went out in the middle of my set, and one of the subs was gone for another 5 minutes or so. Good thing the crowd was so awesome, they didn't even care, couldn't kill the vibe in that place! The mix is a bit rough in spots, due to all the commotion, but I had such a fun time and people really dug the tunes, so here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/nacktmusic/fnf-dream-on

1) Disclosure - Boiling
2) Dusky - Flo Jam
3) George Fitzgerald - Every Inch
4) The xx - Angels (Shadow Child Remix)
5) Disclosure - Flow
6) New York Transit Authority - Off The Traxx
7) Catz n Dogz - They Frontin (feat Monty Luke)
8) The Other Tribe - Sing With Your Feet (Shadow Child Remix)
9) Wasabi - Summer Time (Justin Jay Remix)
10) Bobby Champs - Steve Martin
11) Urulu - In My Life
12) TRJ - Higher 2.0 (LKid Remix)

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

keevo posted:

God loving drat it. I hate too many DJs nowadays. I'm getting into an argument with other DJs about DJs that don't use headphones. I'm saying is that I don't care what equipment a DJ uses as long as the crowd has a good time. For all I care, someone could use Virtual DJ or iTunes and if the crowd loves the music and experience, I'd be cool with it. Everyone else is arguing that it's more about how it's done (which means using turntables, USING HEADPHONES, not using the sync button, etc.). My opinion isn't stupid, right? It's not ridiculous for me to not be concerned about how it's being done, as long as the crowd is happy, right?

This is a really hot button for many people right now. A couple of weeks ago I went to see a buddy of mine play out for the first time in a really long time, but the guy on before him was using serato and absolutely BOMBED a transition. Seriously off beat and just bad. A friend I was with just looked at me and was like, "That didn't sound right." And he doesn't even DJ. It was obvious that the dude had synched the tracks, but the beatgrid was off, but since he didn't use headphones, he didn't realize it and looked like a jackass to the people that actually know what they are doing.

That being said, I use my CDJ2000s and DJM2000 WITH Traktor because I like having my whole library at my fingertips with the customization and cue points I can set in Traktor. I can beatmatch with phones and learned on vinyl, so I respect the old school mentality, but the versatility of modern technology is impossible to ignore.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
If you really know your tracks I don't see the requirement for using headphones with a DVS. It's still a good idea, but not a requirement.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

revmoo posted:

If you really know your tracks I don't see the requirement for using headphones with a DVS. It's still a good idea, but not a requirement.

Because no program grids poo poo right 100% of the time.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Well of course, but if you know your tracks you probably also have them imported properly to your dj software.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

As stupid as it is, the headphone argument is a real thing. Using em/Not using em, What brand/make/style etc. I used a $300 pair of in ears to dj for a long time (still do when I am djing and no one is going to bother me all night), and constantly got poo poo about it. No one has ever said anything about my more traditionally styled v-modas.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
A6 is drat fly, worth the upgrade price. Def worth the flat 300 if you have been using pirated stuff so far, as well. Bidding war on ebay for 2 stanton 880s + cartridges. Dopejams is dead, so that roadtrip is gone, I know about discogs does anyone have any good recommendations specifically for techno vinyl? I have a small collection but nothing to write home about.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Well of course, but if you know your tracks you probably also have them imported properly to your dj software.

poo poo happens, it's foolish not to have headphones around to take a listen before throwing something live. Just the other day I found out a track I play constantly got its beat grid messed up in Serato. I've played this track probably a thousand times, set up its grid by hand, and when I opened it up this last time the whole grid had been moved by some random amount. I noticed my cue points weren't lining up with the grid, which was weird, and confirmed with my headphones that it was all out of whack.

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

poo poo happens, it's foolish not to have headphones around to take a listen before throwing something live. Just the other day I found out a track I play constantly got its beat grid messed up in Serato. I've played this track probably a thousand times, set up its grid by hand, and when I opened it up this last time the whole grid had been moved by some random amount. I noticed my cue points weren't lining up with the grid, which was weird, and confirmed with my headphones that it was all out of whack.

Exactly what I was saying. A quick cue in the cans keeps you looking like a rockstar instead of looking like a total jackass.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Jesse James posted:

Exactly what I was saying. A quick cue in the cans keeps you looking like a rockstar instead of looking like a total jackass.

Yea totally, the cans make the DJ. Whoever holds the cans gets the requests.

In other news, i folded and got ahold of a DJM-T1.

It is amazing in every way except its not serato and traktor sucks dick.

Im thinking about switching back to serato, but im going to give it a few weeks before i make any rash judgements.

Heres how it went down: opened box, installed driver and traktor duo, plugged in and tested, works.

Then i took it to my big weekly gig and used it.

It worked perfect!!!!!! Besides hating traktor for a number of reasons, its tied together with the software so well i just have to love it. So, maybe, traktor it is.

Heres a pic of it at its first gig. Seriously, i took it out of the box and used it on stage before ever using it or traktor before. Everything worked perfectly all night and i even got wasted and used everything just fine. I give this thing 9.9/10.

ps dont try this at home, it was a 2 dj gig and it wasnt the end of the world if it was hosed ,and i brought serato too

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Let me get this straight. You bought an expensive piece of hardware that was tied to software you don't like, didn't really even get to experiment with it, and then took it to gig with? And everything worked flawlessly even though you got blasted and you are still unsure about it? I am so confused.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

Let me get this straight. You bought an expensive piece of hardware that was tied to software you don't like, didn't really even get to experiment with it, and then took it to gig with? And everything worked flawlessly even though you got blasted and you are still unsure about it? I am so confused.

Correct.

Thats why im giving it such high points for usability.

It worked right out of the box exactly as it was supposed to. Thats loving amazing.(and it was easy enough to use for a drunk guy)

Like i said, i also have serato, and i was planning on just mapping the midi to serato. Which works amazing, as i have an X1 and it works great with serato. The X1 sold me on the T1 because its basically a mixer with a X1 split in half and moved to the sides.

But yea, traktor in the minimal deck view tied to a DJM-T1 is a very very powerful piece of DJing equipment, and if anyone is looking for something similar i highly recommend it.

oredun fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 29, 2013

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Why do you hate traktor?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Blowdryer posted:

Why do you hate traktor?

First of all, its to big for a 13" screen. I can understand why they let you adjust what you see, but only to a point. I wish i could see some things but not others, and its kind of a choice but kind of not.

Secondly, i like some flexibility when i DJ, im a "working" dj so i get alot of stupid rear end requests. traktors beat mapping does not work all that well, and if its not beat mapped the beat meter thing wont work. I like serato cause i can just look at the screen and match the beats up(along with my headphones obviously, but seeing a bpm and waveforms on top of each other REALLY helps)

And thirdly, i feel like traktor is over complicated. Sure, maybe for people that like controllerism and poo poo its cool, but i like 2 turntables with looping and hotcues which serato does beautifully.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I want now that I have the money to buy some new Gear.

As I said earlier in the thread, I have a Mixtrack and an F1. The Mixtrack needs to go. Is there anything wrong from a technical perspective with replacing it with an X1 and a Traktor Audio 2 soundcard and remapping the F1 to be an effects unit/Volume control. I'm also still tempted to save up for a Z2 and use it for a controller Hub/Actual mixer and maybe one day throw turntables on it.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Solus posted:

I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I want now that I have the money to buy some new Gear.

As I said earlier in the thread, I have a Mixtrack and an F1. The Mixtrack needs to go. Is there anything wrong from a technical perspective with replacing it with an X1 and a Traktor Audio 2 soundcard and remapping the F1 to be an effects unit/Volume control. I'm also still tempted to save up for a Z2 and use it for a controller Hub/Actual mixer and maybe one day throw turntables on it.

What is your budget?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I grabbed the Demon MC2000, which seems to be a really solid piece. If anything though, buy the right tool for what you want and save up. No sense loving around with misplaced controls and shifts if you can swing it.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

vanilla slimfast posted:

What is your budget?

About 1800 New Zealand Dollars (When I count the vouchers I have for The Rockshop) I already have a Kontrol F1 and a Decent Laptop, and once I get rid of the Mixtrack I'm going to need a souncard or a Mixer with one built in.

Basically what I have to buy has to come from http://www.rockshop.co.nz/ http://www.mixfoundation.co.nz/ , Unless I import The only other place that sells DJ gear only stocks Citronic products.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I've got 4 of these USB controllers from work that were about to be thrown away:

(they were used for Radiology applications)

Is there any way to make them a MIDI controller? The buttons are pretty mash-friendly, and the jog wheel could be used for something interesting.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Alfajor posted:

I've got 4 of these USB controllers from work that were about to be thrown away:

Is there any way to make them a MIDI controller? The buttons are pretty mash-friendly, and the jog wheel could be used for something interesting.

With Max you could make that into whatever the hell you want! You could definitely make it into a midi controller, even something like switch what the dial does with another button, so you could alternate between volume and filter, or crossfader, etc. That could be pretty cool actually.

Quick price check. For a used pair of CDJ 1000 mk3, with coffin - $1100

Original owner, hardly used, local pickup so no shipping. Seems like a pretty great deal to me, any concerns or things I should check for when I test the gear out?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Speaking of used stuff, I put my NS7 back in SA Mart - really good price ($600) if you're in the market.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531530

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
Big ups to whoever recommended trolling ebay/craigslist for gear. 2 stanton 880s + carts + mats for 143 bucks. Traktor a6 + scratch for 300.

vinyls fun + cool thank you all for your help in getting set up. Time to browse discogs till the day I die.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Alfajor posted:

Answering my own question: yes, totally usable. The drivers let you map the buttons to any keystroke you want.
Since I already have a basic controller (Mixtrack Pro), I'm going to set this guy up as an effects/samples pad. I'll give the other 3 away to DJ buddies who also have ghetto setups and are just starting up :)

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

reichsten posted:

Quick price check. For a used pair of CDJ 1000 mk3, with coffin - $1100

Original owner, hardly used, local pickup so no shipping. Seems like a pretty great deal to me, any concerns or things I should check for when I test the gear out?

That deal is good, they go for about $599-699 used at guitar center. They're solid units but the primary thing I'd check is to make sure the cue and play buttons have a nice click in them when pressed. Other than that run through all the buttons and functions like normal.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

Alfajor posted:

Answering my own question: yes, totally usable. The drivers let you map the buttons to any keystroke you want.
Since I already have a basic controller (Mixtrack Pro), I'm going to set this guy up as an effects/samples pad. I'll give the other 3 away to DJ buddies who also have ghetto setups and are just starting up :)

I'm looking for something similar as well!

I have a maschine, but it seems to be a little too much to haul around just for samples.

Let me know what you'd want for the pad!

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I am teetering between the S4 and S2 to learn on, I figure S2 is probably the ticket considering I have approximately 0 DJ experience but I figure if I really do love it that the S4 would be awesome to have. Is it possible that the sheer amount of features may prove to be intimidating/increase the learning curve? When I first started looking at the S4 I didn't realize it was such a god drat beast. If I just get the S2, what are the chances that I grow out of it quickly? Has anyone experienced such a dilemma? Also, is it a bad idea to buy used? I assume so.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

an skeleton posted:

I am teetering between the S4 and S2 to learn on, I figure S2 is probably the ticket considering I have approximately 0 DJ experience but I figure if I really do love it that the S4 would be awesome to have. Is it possible that the sheer amount of features may prove to be intimidating/increase the learning curve? When I first started looking at the S4 I didn't realize it was such a god drat beast. If I just get the S2, what are the chances that I grow out of it quickly? Has anyone experienced such a dilemma? Also, is it a bad idea to buy used? I assume so.

The pitch fader on the S4 makes it easier to learn beat matching.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

phractured posted:

The pitch fader on the S4 makes it easier to learn beat matching.

Easier as in I will become completely dependent upon it or easier in that it will really help cement the concept into my brain?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The S2 has pitch faders.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I started with an S4 to learn on. After getting some basics down (beatmatching WITHOUT the sync button, learning to use loops etc etc)I've went to a vinyl setup. I'd be up for selling my s2 and traktor software for below retail if you're interested.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
What's a decent cheap 2ch analog(or digital I guess if it's cheap) mixer with lo pass/hi pass filters? Mine doesn't have any... my friend was offering me some Numark mixer with band selects but that's not what I want either. Are there any?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Crunchtime posted:

I started with an S4 to learn on. After getting some basics down (beatmatching WITHOUT the sync button, learning to use loops etc etc)I've went to a vinyl setup. I'd be up for selling my s2 and traktor software for below retail if you're interested.

Are you selling an S2 or an S4? You said S4 first.

I'm seeing some S4s on ebay for 200-300 dollars below the retail price of 800, is it worth jumping at a 600 dollar used S4 or am I just asking for trouble?

edit: Also, is the S4 useful as a controller for production as well?

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 5, 2013

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

OOPS! sorry about that, I totally meant an S2, I'm sure you figured it out.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Crunchtime posted:

OOPS! sorry about that, I totally meant an S2, I'm sure you figured it out.

Yeah I figured. Well I might be interested, I'll get back to you in the next couple of days.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

ashgromnies posted:

What's a decent cheap 2ch analog(or digital I guess if it's cheap) mixer with lo pass/hi pass filters? Mine doesn't have any... my friend was offering me some Numark mixer with band selects but that's not what I want either. Are there any?

Define cheap. The z2 has digital filters and I think it's about 800 bucks. It also comes with Traktor.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

an skeleton posted:

edit: Also, is the S4 useful as a controller for production as well?

If it's anything like the X1 you can just do general midi assignments which can be mapped however. The layout and design is really DJ-centric, however, so I think it's usefulness in that regard would be somewhat limited.

Most controllers that work well in a production context tend to be heavily weighted towards having a lot of knobs, faders, and pads like the Maschine or the APC40, for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

keevo posted:

Define cheap. The z2 has digital filters and I think it's about 800 bucks. It also comes with Traktor.

Like $100-200. I already have Traktor Scratch A6. My current mixer's an old Vestax from before the digital era. Now that I think about it, I can use Maschine as a midi controller for Traktor and control filters... just a pain in the rear end because it's not near the crossfader, ugh, stupid idea...

edit: oh wow you guys were having a parallel conversation and came to the same conclusion

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 5, 2013