Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

e: well, there's still the 15-year gap between EU3/March of the Eagles and Vicky 2
Huh? Isn't MOTE entirely within EU3's (EU4's?) timeline, just with a more focused perspective?

Pretty excited about that game too, BTW. And I know The Old Gods and The Republic are all great, I'm just not cheerleading for them because I really can't get into CK2 for the life of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I can tell our web person, but where do you mean exactly? If I hit the FB button on the right it seems to show in English ok.

The like button under Share This is in swedish.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

I can tell our web person, but where do you mean exactly? If I hit the FB button on the right it seems to show in English ok.

Might just be me in Chrome?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's in Swedish for me too so it's not Chrome (I'm using Opera).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Thanks, told them.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

gradenko_2000 posted:

Huh? Isn't MOTE entirely within EU3's (EU4's?) timeline, just with a more focused perspective?

Pretty excited about that game too, BTW. And I know The Old Gods and The Republic are all great, I'm just not cheerleading for them because I really can't get into CK2 for the life of me.

Nah, EU4 is having its end date moved earlier. EU3 was pretty poor at depicting the revolutionary wars, mind.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Vodos posted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7UKDQS All CK2 stuff + some other games 15$

This one seems to be sold out :(. I checked it 15 minutes ago, thinking "I'll just wait till I get to my desktop to buy it instead of doing this on my phone" and when I got to it, nada. Hopefully they'll restock that, I have most of CK2 already but the Game of Dwarves DLC plus Starvoid plus War of the Roses would actually still make it worth it and I can give out CK2 as a gift.

E: Also, how could I forgot, gently caress yeah CK2 and V2 expansions :woop:. Was hoping for something to make revolutions more interesting in V2 but I can hardly complain the expansion making major changes to one important part of the game isn't overhauling other parts of the game.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 31, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I have to admit, it's a small thing, but the addition of a newspaper frame to present major events in Heart of Darkness really tickles my goat. One of the issues with Victoria 2 was always how your country felt a bit lifeless after a while, and a spot of flavor in the vein of newspapers presenting major events might be what the doctor ordered.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'll have to wait to hear more about HOD before I get too excited.

Thought about TOG that I don't think anyone has mentioned: 867 is a date in which Hungary is still pagan and a good 95 years before Otto I defeated the Magyars at Lechfeld, preventing further Hungarian expansion into the nascent HRE.

It's also a mere 8 years before the line of Lothair went extinct and Lotharingia was inherited by West Francia, historically. Expect people to be desperately trying to get this 42 year old to finally produce an heir.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Oh my! This Victoria expansion is looking awesome. And i don't have to wait too long for its release either, thanks Paradox!

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
It's probably a bit late now, but if Wiz could get his hands on some of the mechanics in Vic2 with this expansion I'd be thrilled.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

meatbag posted:

It's probably a bit late now, but if Wiz could get his hands on some of the mechanics in Vic2 with this expansion I'd be thrilled.

What makes you think the expansion wasn't his idea all along? He was working on improving how Africa works in Victoria 2 before he went to Paradox. :tinfoil:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Kudos to Paradox for continuously improving their games instead of moving on. V2 was supposed to be the red-headed step-child yet it keeps on giving.

Don't stop Paradox, feed our hunger for complex games. :btroll: WE WANT MOAR FEATURES :btroll:

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Stealing the crisis system from Pride of Nations, the naval combat system from Hearts of Iron, and using newspapers are good ideas that I will pay 20 dollars for, but I wish there was some attention on the economy.

Now if I can pick and choose which papers to subscribe to, that would be lovely. Pinko commie rags!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Maybe instead of having a mechanism where you 'sphere' a country and get all the resources, there could be a system where you 'invest' cash/diplomacy in a foreign STATE and get the resources of that state only. So France might have invested and gotten a monopoly in Guangdong and Britain has Jangsu and Anhui. You could use this everywhere, so instead of one Great Power saying "YOINK! I'll take Brazil" you'd be investing in particular Brazilian provinces that had the resources you wanted, and countries could be divided by different powers. A little more granular and less winner takes all.
You should play Imperialism II. It still has a special place in my heart for really effectively gameplay-ifying imperialism. Translating Imperialism II's notions to V2 would be a major change, but it would allow for some pretty neat things, like:
* Building railroads / building factories / expanding RGOs in individual provinces.
* Getting a share of the sale price of any resources produced by anything owned by an "investor" power.
* Using built-up influence with the target country to lock competitors out of invidual provinces / states.
* Eventually building up to a full lock-out of others (full sphering) as a kind of "win" condition.

This should include some related abilities, like the ability to force other powers to give up some of their lock-ins (or transfer them to you) as peace terms. Imperialism should be profitable enough to make powers want to do this.

edit: I want this to be the imperialism system for the entire world, not just China, honestly. Of course, you can always conquer, but then you have to front way more upfront costs and may not get as much out of it, depending on local situations.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Vodos posted:

If anyone's looking to buy HOI3 Collection, V2+AHD or CK2+all DLC, check these crazy packages on Amazon, today only!:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7UKDQS All CK2 stuff + some other games 15$
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AAIJJCW HOI3 + V2 + some other stuff 7.5$
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7UK2I2 CK1+CK2+all DLC (as far as I can tell) 10$

I bought full price Republic DLC on Monday :( At the time I didn't mind giving PDS money but now I'm :argh: Amazon :argh:

For more info on the deals check the Amazon sales rep's thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523213

Ed: Forgot to mention, people outside the US can simply put a valid US address as their billing address to buy digital games on amazon.com, they don't check IPs or credit card stuff (or don't care).

Thanks for this. I really want the second one to get AHD but I can take or leave everything else. It looks like you can't gift stuff either. Is this the cheapest way to get AHD? Any of the other games decent (save HOI3, I already have that)? HoD looks cool so I am finally thinking about breaking down and getting AHD and converting from Vicky to V2.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Ah, the CK2 expansion I was expecting! But wait, what are all these other features-:suspense: :gonk: :gizz:

drat you Paradox.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dibujante posted:

You should play Imperialism II. It still has a special place in my heart for really effectively gameplay-ifying imperialism. Translating Imperialism II's notions to V2 would be a major change, but it would allow for some pretty neat things, like:
* Building railroads / building factories / expanding RGOs in individual provinces.
* Getting a share of the sale price of any resources produced by anything owned by an "investor" power.
* Using built-up influence with the target country to lock competitors out of invidual provinces / states.
* Eventually building up to a full lock-out of others (full sphering) as a kind of "win" condition.

This should include some related abilities, like the ability to force other powers to give up some of their lock-ins (or transfer them to you) as peace terms. Imperialism should be profitable enough to make powers want to do this.

edit: I want this to be the imperialism system for the entire world, not just China, honestly. Of course, you can always conquer, but then you have to front way more upfront costs and may not get as much out of it, depending on local situations.

I used to play the first Imperialism, back in the day. If I remember it correctly, seems like Victoria borrowed a lot of ideas from it. I could never seem to get very far though, the Congress of Nations would always show up after a decade or so and end the game prematurely. I seem to remember never being able to play more than a couple decades. Was there a way to turn that 'feature' off?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Still playing my Poland V2 game, I've gotten back every core save for Lithuania which I am slowly trying to rebuild relations with Prussia and Austria to go after. Prussia fell to anarcho-liberals and now me and Prussia are two Democratic Central European great powers. I have two problems now though;

1) How can I get Prussia, Russia, and Austria to stop having cores on my poo poo? Every 5 years they come back to fail to take their poo poo. I can't even do an EUIII "demand they renounce their claim" thing because that doesn't exist in V2. It's also making allying Prussia harder because they keep declaring failed wars on me.

2) How do I increase literacy quickly? It's the 1870s and I'm still at 25% literacy and so my research is awful. My research points were actually far higher as Krakow when I had 50% literacy. I have 2% of my population as clergy and I just passed public education, should I just kick back and wait more?

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 31, 2013

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

I used to play the first Imperialism, back in the day. If I remember it correctly, seems like Victoria borrowed a lot of ideas from it. I could never seem to get very far though, the Congress of Nations would always show up after a decade or so and end the game prematurely. I seem to remember never being able to play more than a couple decades. Was there a way to turn that 'feature' off?
Imperialism is very different from Imperialism II - I never really got into Imperialism, so I don't know, sorry :(

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Fintilgin posted:

There was no option, I remember I was pretty annoyed with that either. I don't know if the GOG version is any different, or maybe there's a mod out there. Would love to play it again, the sequel didn't really have the same feel to it.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Jakse posted:

Thanks for this. I really want the second one to get AHD but I can take or leave everything else. It looks like you can't gift stuff either. Is this the cheapest way to get AHD? Any of the other games decent (save HOI3, I already have that)? HoD looks cool so I am finally thinking about breaking down and getting AHD and converting from Vicky to V2.

You get separate keys for everything so you can gift it "manually" just send whomever the key. The big bundle has 36 keys!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

DrProsek posted:

2) How do I increase literacy quickly? It's the 1870s and I'm still at 25% literacy and so my research is awful. My research points were actually far higher as Krakow when I had 50% literacy. I have 2% of my population as clergy and I just passed public education, should I just kick back and wait more?

Just try to get as much clergy as possible. Otherwise I don't think there' much you can do. If you're falling behind on research you can always do "debug researchpoints" for faster research.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Cowcatcher posted:

There was no option, I remember I was pretty annoyed with that either. I don't know if the GOG version is any different, or maybe there's a mod out there. Would love to play it again, the sequel didn't really have the same feel to it.
I liked the sequel a lot more, honestly. The thing that really turned me on to the sequel was that, at first, the game seemed like a straight-forward "save money and build things with it" game. You have a bunch of raw resources in Europe, and you spend those to make depots and roads to connect more resources to your network, which you then spend to make more and better roads and depots (and more soldiers), etc. However, once you discover the new world, you realize that you can conquer or colonize it to leapfrog your economic grind to the top and outpace your neighbours. Suddenly, everyone in Europe is fighting over the new world because of its implications for the old world. It just made a ton of sense.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Farecoal posted:

Just try to get as much clergy as possible. Otherwise I don't think there' much you can do. If you're falling behind on research you can always do "debug researchpoints" for faster research.

I remember hearing 4% clergy in every state is the optimal.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dibujante posted:

I liked the sequel a lot more, honestly. The thing that really turned me on to the sequel was that, at first, the game seemed like a straight-forward "save money and build things with it" game. You have a bunch of raw resources in Europe, and you spend those to make depots and roads to connect more resources to your network, which you then spend to make more and better roads and depots (and more soldiers), etc. However, once you discover the new world, you realize that you can conquer or colonize it to leapfrog your economic grind to the top and outpace your neighbours. Suddenly, everyone in Europe is fighting over the new world because of its implications for the old world. It just made a ton of sense.

I have a copy of II somewhere. Tried it out for a few minutes ages ago and couldn't get into it. I need to give it another try. Really in the mood for something like that.

FAKE EDIT: Nice, it's on GOG.

REAL EDIT: I wish there was a 'Turn-based Paradox' company out there that still made sweet old strategy games like this, Colonization, Merchant Prince, etc. :smith: x1000

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 31, 2013

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Nightblade posted:

Yeah just keep throwing money at clergy. I would even go over 4% per province if you want literacy to go up as fast as possible.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gradenko_2000 posted:

EDIT: Just to throw more love at Heart of Darkness, I think lifting the "crisis" system from Pride of Nations is a stroke of genius, especially if they can trigger dynamically rather than as scripted events. I can't wait to see the kinds of conflicts nations will be drawn into over it.

Agreed, PoN was chock full of great ideas with poor execution, good to see some of them being fleshed out. Although it would have been even better if they had redone the horrible confusing card game interface from PoN and made it a straight up CCG mini-game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nightblade posted:

This. 2% is ideal for research, but 4% is the target number if you want literacy. Also, rushing the education techs help greatly, and Darwinism gives a huge boost to education efficiency.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Thanks for the help everyone! What I'm getting here is that each state needs 4% clergy, so drop lower class tax and use NFs to boost Clergy in all provinces (does primary culture matter? Should I be focusing on only boosting literacy for Poles, or any high pop province; Galicia-Lodomeria is high pop but it's mostly Ukranians).

Also I'm guessing that there's no way to remove Prussian or Russian cores on my provinces :(. Oh well, if it bothers me that much I can always edit the saves so provinces I control no longer have foreign cores or mod a decision to also remove Prussian, Russian, and Austrian cores on all provinces with a Polish core, make it open to Poland if it becomes a great power with soandso military and prestige scores.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If you're playing APD, it's vital that you research the Education techs; remember that it's not just the tech effect but also the related invention effects that help out with that, so a tech that gives say 10% education efficiency might end up giving 30% when you add up the inventions that come with it. Once you've balanced your clergy around (you probably do not actually need to get to 4%) and research say half the education tech tree you could be getting a point or more in literacy yearly, if I remember my own experience right.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Culture doesn't matter for Clergy's boost to literacy, you just want 4% of the pops in a state to be Clergymen to maximize literacy gain, even if they're not primary cultures.

Fintilgin posted:

In Imperialism 1, the historical 1882 scenario is set-up so that the Council of Governors will only convene once, at the very end of the game, in 1915.

EDIT: Check out the far-right screenshot on the bottom row. If you hit Cancel, you can keep playing, sort of how Civilization does it. Not sure if this will also work for a loss, though.

In Imperialism 2, there's no such mechanic at all anymore, and victory is achieved by controlling half the Old World on or before the game's end. It's actually really cool because the New World isn't even technically required to win, but it ends up being really important anyway because of all the riches in it.

And yeah, GOG needs to pick up Merchant Prince the next chance they get.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 1, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Double-post, sorry

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Escaped bull gores 12! posted:

An enranged gentleman cow gored 5 men and 7 women to death yesterday. The gentleman cow, who had previously been of a gentle nature, was beheaded by a passing chimney-sweep.

Oh man, more humor similar to the CK2 events would greatly increase my enjoyment of Vicky II :allears:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Raserys posted:

Oh man, more humor similar to the CK2 events would greatly increase my enjoyment of Vicky II :allears:

The war for the bocage has started and the German Hedgemony is a dire threat to shrubberies everywhere!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dibujante posted:

Okay, I'm playing this now. I feel kind of dumb though. There MUST be some screen in the game where I can see HOW MUCH of each resource I'm gathering each turn, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I can see my stocks just fine, but not how much I'm producing.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Does anyone know why my Communists keep spontaneously disappearing in A House Divided, and how to stop it from happening? I'm playing as the United States and it's happened twice now - I slowly inch my population's support for Communism up, Communists now make up 26 percent of the population and they're set to win the election, and then, literally overnight, every single Communist supporter drops out of the party and it falls to zero percent. There's no dialog box, no event, no invention, they just loving disappear. It's getting really irritating. I'm playing with the Pop Demand Mod if that helps.

It happened in my last playthrough as the USCA once too - the country was actually in the middle of a communist revolution, the rebels were about three days from winning and then they, and all communists in the country, straight-up loving vanished. I didn't mind that time because I was trying to avoid going communist in that playthrough, but it still struck me as odd.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a vanilla issue, or is it exclusive to the mod? Do the Pop Demand devs just hate commies?

e: :effort:

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 1, 2013

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Can someone please post the new features in the Old Gods DLC here? Can't access game related sites at work.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sheizerbrick posted:

Can someone please post the new features in the Old Gods DLC here? Can't access game related sites at work.

quote:

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Europe is in turmoil. The land has been fragmented into petty fiefdoms, the Emperor struggles with the Pope, and the Holy Father declares that all those who go to liberate the Holy Land will be freed of their sins. Now is the time for greatness.

Description

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods, the fourth expansion for the critically praised strategy/RPG, finally enables you to play as a Pagan or Zoroastrian ruler, with particular focus on the dreaded Vikings and their tradition of pillage and adventure.
Crusader Kings II explores one of the defining periods in world history in an experience crafted by Paradox Development Studio, the masters of Strategy. Medieval Europe comes to life in this game of knights, schemes and thrones.

Features

Play as a Pagan chieftain and ravage your weak neighbors. If you remain at peace for too long, your people will grow restless...
New special start date in 867 AD: The Viking Rurik has founded the kingdom of Rus and the Great Heathen Army under the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok rampages through England.
Play as a Zoroastrian lord and restore your ancient religion to prominence.
Adventurers: Landless characters can gather armies and go off to carve out new realms on their own.
Prepared Invasions: Declare your intention to invade and watch your armies grow with adventurers and restless warriors, but don't wait too long to start your war or it might all fall apart...
Rebels with a Cause: Rebels are no longer a faceless menace – they are now led by characters with agendas.
Loot and pillage provinces. Burn down their cities and take their gold!
Sacrifice to Odin at the great Blot!
Christians and Muslims can dispatch missions to convert the depraved heathens.
New beautiful Pagan interface skin.
New events and decisions: berserkers, sejdr, curses, omens, divinations, runestones and much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Sounds awesome, thanks.

• Locked thread