Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

uapyro posted:

I think my brain may be bleeding. I asked about this, and they said "The HTC Hero".

Then I asked, "Are there actually any comparable phones to the Evo3D?"

"No, there are not."

I'm probably going to give it another few tries... I'm not looking forward to another 60 mile drive just to pick up the exact same phone again.
Yeah, the 3d is really bad about replacements. The list is usually based on phones that were released around the same time. Since the 3d was the first dual core by a few months, the Epic Touch and Photon don't show up on the list. The LTE pops up once in a while, probably when stock is low. The rest of the time, it just says No where we'd go to order it.

I've seen it happen on other phones, we can sometimes order the Transform Ultra to replace the original Transform, but usually not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Duckman2008 posted:

Back in November my indirect repair center at the time had decent stock coming in of the 3D LCD unit. Only issue was there were so many issue units we kept running out. I would be swapping people like crazy to the LTE.

FYI everyone, the Evo LTE can be swapped for a galaxy S3...

Really? What's the best way to see if this can happen? I'm on my second EVO LTE since June - the first one wound up with a dead antenna and this one has terrible battery life (like will go from 80% to 30% in an hour randomly), has started crashing and rebooting with no prompting and does that thing where it heats up in my pocket when not in use. I'd LOVE to get away from HTC products if there's any way I can.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Giblet posted:

We couldn't submit an order for a back ordered phone. We used to just tell people they could continue to call us to see if it was available. It's been almost 2 years since my store could even do an advanced exchange so things may have changed now.

Gotcha. For indirect repair centers you can now order back ordered phones, so it's presented as an option if its there.

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Really? What's the best way to see if this can happen? I'm on my second EVO LTE since June - the first one wound up with a dead antenna and this one has terrible battery life (like will go from 80% to 30% in an hour randomly), has started crashing and rebooting with no prompting and does that thing where it heats up in my pocket when not in use. I'd LOVE to get away from HTC products if there's any way I can.

Take it into a repair center, go over the issues, see what they can do. Be persistent. Some places won't do it until the 3rd swap. It is currently an option though, no guarantees it isn't removed, but so far so good.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 29, 2013

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

blue.eyed.ash posted:

If you yell enough they will swap you.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Did they remove all of the non-unlimited data plans for smartphones? I could've sworn there was a 2gig plan back in '11

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

I have a launch day evo 3d (that I was happy to replace a pre with..man am I not good at phone choices)

Me too!

I'm so loving sick of the 3d and Sprint service in general that it's not funny. I don't get any kind of a 4g signal in the building I work in and the 3g I do get is so loving slow that it's infuriating. That combined with the wretched battery life I get, and I don't know how I haven't thrown the thing against a wall yet. It has definitely entered my mind a few times.

I don't even know what Sprint has coming in the next few months that's worthy of an upgrade. I'm trying my best to not jump ship and buy a Nexus 4.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Network Vision update for the week:

Approximately 715 updated sites today in: Chicago (78), Shentel (76), Atlanta/Athens (51), Arkansas (41), San Diego (34), Indianapolis (31), PR/VI (28), Baltimore (22), Kansas (21), New York City (21), Washington DC (21), Upstate NY Central (20), Boston (17), Nashville (16), LA Metro (14), Miami/West Palm (14), Minnesota (14), Austin (13), VT/NH/ME (12), Ft.Wayne/South Bend (11), Norfolk (11), SF Bay (11), DFW (10), Mississippi (10), North LA (9), Philadelphia Metro (9), Las Vegas (8), Tampa (8), Orange County (7), Upstate NY East (7), Orlando (6), Raleigh/Durham (6), Riverside/San Bernardino (6), Central Jersey (5), Charlotte (5), Houston (5), Memphis (4), Myrtle Beach (3), New Orleans (3), Northern Connecticut (3), Southern Connecticut (3), Jacksonville (2), Georgia (2), Delaware (1), Long Island (1), Northern Jersey (1), Oregon/SW Washington (1), Providence (1), San Antonio (1), South Carolina (1), Southern Jersey (1), West Michigan (1), West Washington (1).

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Duckman2008 posted:

Gotcha. For indirect repair centers you can now order back ordered phones, so it's presented as an option if its there.

Take it into a repair center, go over the issues, see what they can do. Be persistent. Some places won't do it until the 3rd swap. It is currently an option though, no guarantees it isn't removed, but so far so good.

Got it. I've been hesitant because the issues I've had with this EVO are intermittent and the last thing I want to do is walk in and say "this phone's a POS, it keeps dying and crashing" to have a tech look at it and say that everything is working fine.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I swear Sprint is avoiding all NV updates in Ohio just to gently caress with me.

That said, I'd swear I'm getting better (re: still lovely, but not infuriatingly super lovely lovely) speeds between Dayton and Cincinnati today (got the iOS 6.1 update last night)

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Got it. I've been hesitant because the issues I've had with this EVO are intermittent and the last thing I want to do is walk in and say "this phone's a POS, it keeps dying and crashing" to have a tech look at it and say that everything is working fine.

I was lucky mine was actually acting up every time I went to the store. Of course I did have bad luck with a corporate repair store saying it was the network when my phone doesn't work half the time. I found another repair store that was not corporate and they actually tried it out and said it was the phone that was faulty, so I'm sticking with them.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Disargeria posted:

Did they remove all of the non-unlimited data plans for smartphones? I could've sworn there was a 2gig plan back in '11
You're mistaken. It's always been all unlimited here, at least on smartphone lines.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

td4guy posted:

You're mistaken. It's always been all unlimited here, at least on smartphone lines.

It's limited in the sense that if you left it on 3G, using as much data as the network would allow, 24/7 for 30 days, the cap is probably a couple gigs.

E:

Are they supposed to call me or something at some point and ask why I'm always roaming? I must have rolled through a coverage blip on my drive home from work while running Pandora.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 30, 2013

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The Entire Universe posted:

E:

Are they supposed to call me or something at some point and ask why I'm always roaming? I must have rolled through a coverage blip on my drive home from work while running Pandora.

I'm pretty sure you have to do it for a couple of consecutive months. They aren't going to boot you for 8 days of roaming.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is the Sprint SGS2 a terrible decision to pick up used? I know it has that wakelock bug with the notification light in ICS, but is there any way to fix that (custom roms?)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

Is the Sprint SGS2 a terrible decision to pick up used? I know it has that wakelock bug with the notification light in ICS, but is there any way to fix that (custom roms?)?

Used for like, $100-150 max is a decent deal. I'm sure it's root able, not sure who still tweaks Roms for it.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
The ROMs for the Sprint SGS2 aren't all that great to tell the truth. There is a decent CM10 beta and android 4.0 or later causes some weird issues with battery life and all that. If you plan on staying on rooted stock its not too bad. I think I need to go get mine replaced because I think mine has a bad radio though, but that's neither here nor there.

Going to assume they have plenty of GS2s for replacement and I won't end up with a bullshit phone?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Stumpalitious posted:

The ROMs for the Sprint SGS2 aren't all that great to tell the truth. There is a decent CM10 beta and android 4.0 or later causes some weird issues with battery life and all that. If you plan on staying on rooted stock its not too bad. I think I need to go get mine replaced because I think mine has a bad radio though, but that's neither here nor there.

Going to assume they have plenty of GS2s for replacement and I won't end up with a bullshit phone?
They go on and off backorder, but they've got them.

It may be a little slow at the moment, the phantom menu popup (the antenna is directly under the menu button, when in a weak service area the interference can trigger the button) is now a known issue, so there have been a ton of replacements.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

datajosh posted:

Network Vision update for the week:

Approximately 715 updated sites today in: Chicago (78), Shentel (76), Atlanta/Athens (51), Arkansas (41), San Diego (34), Indianapolis (31), PR/VI (28), Baltimore (22), Kansas (21), New York City (21), Washington DC (21), Upstate NY Central (20), Boston (17), Nashville (16), LA Metro (14), Miami/West Palm (14), Minnesota (14), Austin (13), VT/NH/ME (12), Ft.Wayne/South Bend (11), Norfolk (11), SF Bay (11), DFW (10), Mississippi (10), North LA (9), Philadelphia Metro (9), Las Vegas (8), Tampa (8), Orange County (7), Upstate NY East (7), Orlando (6), Raleigh/Durham (6), Riverside/San Bernardino (6), Central Jersey (5), Charlotte (5), Houston (5), Memphis (4), Myrtle Beach (3), New Orleans (3), Northern Connecticut (3), Southern Connecticut (3), Jacksonville (2), Georgia (2), Delaware (1), Long Island (1), Northern Jersey (1), Oregon/SW Washington (1), Providence (1), San Antonio (1), South Carolina (1), Southern Jersey (1), West Michigan (1), West Washington (1).

First of all, how dare you sir :argh:

Second of all, that's last weeks update. Here is the most recent one:

Approximately 675 updated sites today in: SF Bay (94), Houston (47), Shentel (45), DFW (43), Chicago (40), LA Metro (33), Indianapolis (30), Kansas (25), Arkansas (21), Las Vegas (20), PR/VI (20), Mississippi (18), New Orleans (14), Tampa (13), Austin (12), New York City (11), San Diego (11), Washington DC (11), Charlotte (9), San Antonio (9), Baltimore (8), Miami/West Palm (8), Norfolk (8), North LA (8), Raleigh/Durham (8), Atlanta/Athens (7), Jacksonville (7), Orlando (7), South Bay (7), Upstate NY Central (7), West Michigan (7), Nashville (6), Orange County (6), Myrtle Beach (5), East Michigan (4), East Texas (4), Northern Jersey (4), Riverside/San Bernardino (4), Upstate NY East (4), Long Island (3), Philadelphia Metro (3), South Carolina (3), Alabama (2), Boston (2), Central Pennsylvania (2), Colorado (2), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (2), Memphis (2), Minnesota (2), Oregon/SW Washington (2), Central Jersey (1), Southern Jersey (1).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I have a voice issue at my apartment, and I was wondering if there was anything that could be done to mitigate it, or if anyone has an idea of why it happens in the first place. I'll usually get anywhere from 2-5 bars of service at home inside and out (there are six bars total on the SGS3 stock rom's indicator, FYI), now with a pretty consistent LTE signal as well. Problem is, 90% of the time the voice service is awful regardless of the displayed signal strength. It'll connect calls ok, incoming and outgoing, but once it connects it will usually drop the audio (both ways as far as I can tell) for about a second at a time, every 5 seconds or so. This of course makes it pretty impossible to have a coherent conversation without repeating things 10 times and trying to get the timing just right.

It happens inside and out, though seems to happen a little more inside. Doesn't do it at my work, so I'm pretty positive its not the phone. Also, I had the same problem when using my GNex. Is it more likely interference, bad signal because of hills, or something else? An Airrave probably won't be possible because we're at 5 lines on the account already. :(

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Wow! How far along is dfw on the whole? I know I'm doing great at work and at home, at least.

I was in Evansville, IN over the weekend. The land that Sprint forgot. I honestly don't think I could stand to be a Sprint customer if I still lived there.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

This is probably the spergiest thing I've ever said, but I want some sort of notification or something when I connect to LTE. My Sprint account shows that I've downloaded a MB or two over 4G, but I've never seen my phone on anything but 3G. I want to know where the hell these mystery LTE places are.

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

Autopay charged me for next month's service and I'm planning on porting my number to GV and switching to T-mobile. I still have 5 days of service for this month, according to my Sprint account page. If I port my number out to GV before the 5 days are up, can I request a refund from Sprint for the following month's service or dispute the charge with my bank?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

burndtjamb posted:

Autopay charged me for next month's service and I'm planning on porting my number to GV and switching to T-mobile. I still have 5 days of service for this month, according to my Sprint account page. If I port my number out to GV before the 5 days are up, can I request a refund from Sprint for the following month's service or dispute the charge with my bank?

Sprint will automatically issue a refund check after a bit. That being said if auto pay charged you that means your bill was due for the billing cycle you are currently in. You will only be refunded for whatever few days are left in your current billing cycle, not a whole month.

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

Ahh, thanks!

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

brc64 posted:

Wow! How far along is dfw on the whole? I know I'm doing great at work and at home, at least.

I was in Evansville, IN over the weekend. The land that Sprint forgot. I honestly don't think I could stand to be a Sprint customer if I still lived there.

Nearing 40% I think, projected completion has at least moved into this year with a September 2013 date.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Ender.uNF posted:

First of all, how dare you sir :argh:

Second of all, that's last weeks update. Here is the most recent one:
Haha, whoops! I'll let you handle it then, I saw the updated map and didn't look before I copied the last reply to the thread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is there a map that shows when 4G is supposed to come to a specific area?

I'm in Buffalo, and I'll be upgrading my Evo soon, but having an LTE compatible phone won't do me much good if it's not until 2053 (I know it's probably going to happen at some point this year, but I'm impatient, goddamnit!).

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

KillHour posted:

Is there a map that shows when 4G is supposed to come to a specific area?

I'm in Buffalo, and I'll be upgrading my Evo soon, but having an LTE compatible phone won't do me much good if it's not until 2053 (I know it's probably going to happen at some point this year, but I'm impatient, goddamnit!).

Found this on S4GRU...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3101-map-of-current-and-coming-soon-sprint-lte-cities/

Fantastic...nothing happening at all in Ohio.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Ender.uNF posted:

Here is the most recent one:

Approximately 675 updated sites today in: ...Central Pennsylvania (2)...
Can a S4GRU paid member tell me where these two towers are? This is the first I've seen my region listed in tower upgrades. I live in the largest city in Central PA, so I'm hoping it's mine.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012
Why's the OP hating on the Moto Photon Q so much? I've got one and it's been great.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

Why's the OP hating on the Moto Photon Q so much? I've got one and it's been great.

You're lucky. It's one phone where I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that a large number of them came back with rebooting problems. Add in that Motorola basically treats anything not on Verizon as a second rate phone now a days and you have a product I personally wouldn't recommend.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

We have 2 on display at my store. Neither work. We already replaced both once.

I refuse to sell that phone unless someone comes in asking for it by name and I can't talk them out of it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've got an OtterBox Commuter for my iPhone5, and when I put the screen protector on a spec of dust was under it near the bottom, maybe 1/4" from the edge of the protector, not even on the screen. It has finally started bugging me a lot since it caused a little air bubble around it. Can I lift up the screen protector and then reapply it, or if I peel up that corner will it not stick and I'll have to replace the whole thing?

I've never used a case/screen protector on a phone before, but the difference in resale prices between scuffed up phones and pristine ones is large enough for me to want to use this drat thing.

e: vvv I'll try that, thanks for the tip.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 31, 2013

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've got an OtterBox Commuter for my iPhone5, and when I put the screen protector on a spec of dust was under it near the bottom, maybe 1/4" from the edge of the protector, not even on the screen. It has finally started bugging me a lot since it caused a little air bubble around it. Can I lift up the screen protector and then reapply it, or if I peel up that corner will it not stick and I'll have to replace the whole thing?

I've never used a case/screen protector on a phone before, but the difference in resale prices between scuffed up phones and pristine ones is large enough for me to want to use this drat thing.

Get some scotch tape. Place one piece on the screen protector with about 2 inches on the screen and enough to grab sticking off the corner. You will use this to lift just the corner of the protector. Wrap a second piece of scot tape around your most dexterous finger sticky side out. Briefly lift the corner of the protector and use the sticky finger to snag the piece of dust.

I've never tried this on a screen protector that has been on a phone for a while. It may or may not work for you. If it doesn't just buy a new one, or spend the money on a zag and get replacements for the cost of shipping whenever you want.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

goku chewbacca posted:

Can a S4GRU paid member tell me where these two towers are? This is the first I've seen my region listed in tower upgrades. I live in the largest city in Central PA, so I'm hoping it's mine.
Looks like one in Nicholson and one in Narvon. I'm not from the area but just looking at the map, I have no idea where Sprint got their definition of "central" PA.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to do it for a couple of consecutive months. They aren't going to boot you for 8 days of roaming.

This began last month, but I only used about 700 megs.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

datajosh posted:

Looks like one in Nicholson and one in Narvon. I'm not from the area but just looking at the map, I have no idea where Sprint got their definition of "central" PA.

Wagons. Seriously.

It's somewhat related to the Metropolitain Trading Areas and Basic Trading Areas as defined by the FCC - which roughly follows population/census/government lines. Those more or less follow old wagon trails and US Geological Survey markers, except with the MTA/BTAs the lines are located as far from population centers as possible to minimize interference issues.

The frequency licenses are generally sold for one area at a time, sometimes for the smaller BTAs others for the larger MTAs. Sprint also has one of the extremely rare nationwide licenses which is where LTE is running right now (PCS G block).

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
My S3 is having SDcard issues. A few days ago I kept getting messages about the card being removed unexpectedly then remounted and back and forth. Now it doesn't recognize it at all. I know the card is okay because I can read it on my MacBook (and I'm currently backing up its contents just to be safe...)

It looks like this is a pretty common issue with the S3... I no longer have TEP on my account, so if I try to take it in to a Sprint store, will they do anything? What's my best option at this point?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Try another card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

Found this on S4GRU...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3101-map-of-current-and-coming-soon-sprint-lte-cities/

Fantastic...nothing happening at all in Ohio.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I live in Milwaukee, which I know is not a huge metropolis area or anything, but it'd be nice to actually be able to use 3g. It wasn't so bad when I first signed up, but it's been pretty bad the last year or so. Really just need to switch already, EPRP is nice and all, but what's the point if I can't even use it?