Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Earth posted:

I like this photo, but it lacks in representation that science may be used as a weapon as well.

Pretty sure the point isn't to encapsulate every single aspect of science, man.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 18, 2014

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know what's going on, but that image is about an arts exhibition in Dublin, so I don't know if you're posting it as an ironic response or something, either way your use of language makes it unclear

The cover to Les Misé... I mean a painting by Eugène Delacroix

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 31, 2013

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Meanwhile in Conservatopia the victim manages to very quickly reach down to his belt, draw his own gun, spin around, and accurately shoot the criminal before getting shot himself, all without harming any other bystanders.

Or not.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I tried posting this on another board, and someone posted this in response:

How the poo poo do I respond to something like this?

[edit] This, too.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Blacks are still largely marginalized. The history of oppression is secondary in effect to the fact that we as a society are still loving over minorities. The lower class is disproportionately made up of minorities, and that's largely due to our lovely policies that keep the poor poor.

And, as a Russian coming from a family that was probably descended from those serfs, gently caress that comic. It's a completely false equivalency. Modern day descendants of serfs are in no way marginalized. You would not be able to tell if any random Russian you saw in the street was from a privileged background or not. There's nothing holding anyone back based on their lineage other than perhaps the wealth your family has now, and higher education is far more accessible there than in the States.

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 31, 2013

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Fandyien posted:

[edit] This, too.

The Jewish one is BS because they get counted as whites in most IQ-by-demographic counts. And I'm pretty sure that they're not the highest of all racial groups, it's Asians.

The Russia one sucks because it assumes that blacks/Africa haven't contributed anything to society, intellectually or artistically, which is not true. Also, Russians were considered to be like a "sub-race" of whites (kind of like the Irish and Jews) because they're Asiatic and not western European (William Buckley said this is why they embraced communism.)

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Post a picture you dingus.

Great job

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

China is currently dealing with some of the worst pollution in human history.

One millionaire philanthropist, Chen Guangbiao who made his fortune through recycling is giving away cans of fresh air from rural parts of China.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
When it comes to Jews vs blacks, the kinds of racism they faced have usually been entirely different on top of it, especially back in the day when people had no problems when people had no problem being blatantly racists"

"Those negroes are savages from the jungles who are basically smart enough to be servers and will probably rape all our white women."

"You can't trust those Jews, they're way too greedy and clever, always thinking of ways to try to scam money out of you. Just look at how they've taken over the media and banking system. However, if we need a lawyer or an accountant, open up the telephone book and find the most Jewish sounding firm you can."

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Rare Collectable posted:

China is currently dealing with some of the worst pollution in human history.

One millionaire philanthropist, Chen Guangbiao who made his fortune through recycling is giving away cans of fresh air from rural parts of China.

Thank god for the white cat/ black cat and no environmental laws, now China is literally a loving Mel Brooks movie!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Alec Eiffel posted:

I don't know what's going on, but that image is about an arts exhibition in Dublin, so I don't know if you're posting it as an ironic response or something, either way your use of language makes it unclear

The cover to Les Misé... I mean a painting by Eugène Delacroix

Contemporary Chinese Art

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

The Jewish one is BS because they get counted as whites in most IQ-by-demographic counts. And I'm pretty sure that they're not the highest of all racial groups, it's Asians.
There was a high profile study in which Ashkenazi Jews averaged an IQ of 114, but I'm willing to bet they had wealthier families and far better access to quality education on average than blacks in the western world. I'm sure a tradition of literacy that's been unbroken for thousands of years doesn't hurt either.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

HMV is a British music store chain that recently went into administration. It has existed since 1921, so its loss made quite a few people upset, but evidently not quite enough to start buying from there again. They were taken over last week by a compancy called Hilco, but are still trying to cut costs. This was posted on the company's twitter page by a group of staff members that discovered they were all going to be made redundant. All these were deleted a short time later.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure what it says about me that I agree with some of those :v:

Someone stole a gold emblem from Bahlsen, said they'd only give it back if they gave cookies to kids at a hospital in Hannover.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

KoldPT posted:

I'm not sure what it says about me that I agree with some of those :v:

Someone stole a gold emblem from Bahlsen, said they'd only give it back if they gave cookies to kids at a hospital in Hannover.

I'm not sure what it says about you either. What do you mean you agree with some of those?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07mVgliChw8

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Lapham's Quarterly, Intoxication

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The talk a few pages back of British aristocrats who supported Hitler reminded me of a particularly nasty piece of work.

Arthur Ronald Nall-Cain, 2nd Baron Brocket. He was a dyed-in-the-wool Tory; he was elected a Conservative MP in 1931 and subsequently raised to the House of Lords upon the death of his father, the first Baron Brocket. He inherited millions from his family's brewing company, and with some of that money he bought the Knoydart Estate in the Highlands of Scotland.

Knoydart is one of the remotest parts of Scotland even today (being cut off by mountains and sea lochs, and only accessible either by boat or a 16-mile walk over rough terrain) and Brocket was the worst kind of absentee landlord, evicting tenants and turning the area into a recreational shooting and fishing playground for the rich. Neville Chamberlain holidayed on Brocket's estate during his time as prime minister.

Brocket was also a Nazi sympathiser, which might be putting it mildly - he was a personal guest of Hitler's at his 50th birthday celebrations in 1939, and regularly hosted meetings of prominent Nazi supporters at his houses in England. Not only was he friends with Chamberlain but also with von Ribbentrop, Germany's foreign minister. When war broke out he agitated for a negotiated peace and continued appeasement of Hitler - efforts which obviously failed. To add injury to insult for Brocket, the British government requisitioned his Knoydart house to billet soldiers - particularly commandos and paratroopers who were training in Knoydart. When the war ended, Brocket's equally awful wife ordered the servants to dispose of all cutlery and crockery that might have been touched by the soldiers, as well as everything else that could have come into contact with them - including toilet seats.

Brocket also sacked a lot of the estate's staff and continued the long shithead landlord tradition of replacing them with imported loyal gamekeepers, who patrolled the estate and threatened to shoot hill-walkers or shepherds because 'they might be mistaken for red deer'. The community was being slowly squeezed out of its own surroundings to line Brocket's pockets and there seemed to be no way for people to fight back.

Finally, however, something snapped, and in 1948 seven men (most of whom had fought in the war) decided to take action against Brocket's poisonous landlordism. On the 9th of November Sandy MacPhee, Duncan McPhail, Henry MacAskill, Jack MacHardy, Archie MacDonald, William Quinn, and Archie MacDougall set out and staked out part of the estate. Of the 52,000 acres owned by Brocket they seized 65 acres of land for themselves, as well as 10,000 acres of hill land for grazing, and began squatting on the land. Their action - which was in the same vein as many land seizures carried out by the Highland Land League in the 19th century - became a celebrated cause throughout Scotland, and when Brocket filed a court order against them, the raiders responded that they were simply following the provisions laid out in the Land Settlement Act of 1919, which allowed for demobilised soldiers to be provided with small farms or crofts from 'under-used' land. The act had been little more than an ineffective fantasy when it was put into law but it did give precedent to the men's acts, and with the Labour landslide government in place at Westminster the Seven were confident that they could win their fight. They even received so much monetary support from well-wishers across Scotland that they were able to hire legal counsel - which advised them to give up the squat and fight the battle purely in the courts, even though the men had proclaimed their willingness to be arrested rather than give up the land.

When they left the seized land, they lost their best weapon, and the legal battle was a stonewall by Brocket's far more numerous and far better-paid lawyers. The Labour government also condemned the men and sided firmly with the Nazi Lord Brocket, the Scottish Secretary Arthur Woodburn being particularly strident in his criticisms of the Seven. The nationalist poet Hugh MacDiarmid wrote a disappointed article about the end of the drama, and the whole episode inspired a quite excellent folk song by Hamish Henderson:

quote:

Twas down by the farm of Scottas
Lord Brocket walked one day
And he saw a sight that troubled him
Far more than he could say
For the seven men of Knoydart
Were doing what they'd planned
They'd staked their claim, they were digging their drains
On Brocket's private land

"You bloody Reds!", Lord Brocket cried
Wot's this you're doin' 'ere?
It doesn't pay, as you'll find today,
To insult an English Peer
For you're only Scottish halfwits
And I'll have you understand
You Highland swine, these hills are mine
This is all Lord Brocket's land"

"I'll write to Arthur Woodburn, boys,
And he'll soon let you know,
That the Sacred Rights of Property
Will never be laid low.
With your stakes and tapes, I'll make you traipse
From Knoydart to the Rand
You can dig for gold till you're stiff and cold
But not on this 'ere land."

Up spoke the men of Knoydart
"Och, away an shut yer trap
For threats from a Saxon brewer's boy
We just don't give a rap
For we are all ex-servicemen
And we fought against the hun
We can tell our enemies by now
And Brocket, you are one"

At this the noble Brocket
Turned purple in the face
He said, "These Scottish savages
Are Britain's dark disgrace
It may be true that I've let a few
Thousand acres go to pot
But each one I'd give to a London spiv
Before any goddamned Scot!"

"You're a shower of Tartan Bolshies
But I'll soon have you licked
I'll write to the Court of Session
For an interim interdict
I'll write to my London lawyers
And they will understand"
"Ach, tae Hell wi yer London lawyers,
We want our Scottish land"

When Brocket heard these fighting words
He fell down in a swoon
But they splashed his jowls with uisge [uisge : water]
And he woke up mighty soon
He moaned, "The Dukes of Sutherland
Were right about the Scot
If I had my way I'd start today
And clear the whole damned lot"

Then spoke the men of Knoydart,
"You have no earthly right
For this is the land of Alba
And no the Isle of Wight
When Scotland's proud young Fianna [Fianna : warriors]
Are assembled in the van
We'll show the world that Highlanders
Have a right to Scottish land"

"You may scream and yell, Lord Brocket,
You may rave and stamp and shout
But the lamp we've lit in Knoydart
Will never now go out
For Scotland's on the march again
And we think it won't be long
Roll on the day when the Knoydart way
Is Scotland's battle song"

(mods please change my name to Tartan Bolshie)

Hamish Imlach's rendition of the song is on Spotify and well worth listening to.

The land raid is commemorated by a cairn in the village of Inverie (the only remaining settlement in Knoydart). Brocket actually went on to sell the estate in and in 1999 the Knoydart Foundation bought the land to be held in trust for the few inhabitants left in the area rather than exploited by an outside landlord. Land reform remains an important issue in rural parts of Scotland with community buyouts becoming more common in the past few years, and although actual Nazis are not very common, the exploitation of parts of the Highlands and Islands by rich businessmen and aristocrats does continue. Until the land is owned fully by the people who actually live there, the cause for which the Seven Men of Knoydart fought will still be one worth fighting for, albeit one that tends to get overlooked in the more urban focus of modern left-wing movements in the developed world.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Fandyien posted:

The Jewish diaspora was formed by a combination of families leaving Judaea voluntarily - and it is often forgotten that even before the first systematic acts of persecution against the Jews in the second century BC there were already thousands of Jews living abroad - and those fleeing the conditions within Judaea created by destructive military campaigns. Other than the Babylonian exile of 597 BC, in which the Judaean aristocracy were forcefully removed by the Babylonians, there was never a forced exile of the Jews in antiquity. Most Jews who left Judaea were also those who A) had skills that allowed them to work abroad or B) were wealthy enough to do so; antisemitism existed in antiquity, but it seldom took on the violent form of later history, and so most Jews were able to form stable communities abroad and function within the societies in which they lived. This meant that those who comprised the diaspora were by and large able to receive educations, work openly, and enjoy reasonable amounts of freedom, even if they were alienated from those with whom they cohabited. As time went on, however, Christianity became pervasive, and antisemitism increased and grew more violent. Nevertheless, Jewish communities always had that foundation laid in antiquity that created a culture of education, scholarship, mercantilism, and artisanship, which allowed Jewish communities to survive even in oppressive environments.

West Africans, on the other hand, were from the beginning forcibly brought to America as slaves and kept enslaved for generations. Then, after they were largely emancipated, there were by and large no stable, well-established African-American communities into which they could integrate, and they were still actively and violently excluded, basically up until the civil rights era. Thus, they were never able to establish that foundation that most Jewish communities had.

Assyrians driving conquered opponents into exile, much as the Babylonians drove the Judaean elite into exile in Babylon.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That was really interesting, thanks. Landlordism seems like such a historic problem in this part of the world, to me. Kind of depressing that it's still going on.

Why does he need my blood? He doesn't seem wounded, is he a vampire? :ohdear:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I'm not sure what it says about you either. What do you mean you agree with some of those?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07mVgliChw8

Well, pretty much that I don't think the word oval office is a big deal. Profanity is profanity, it's not necessarily making a negative association with the other meanings of the word. I say "oh my god" or "jesus christ" pretty often despite not being religious. I could be wrong, though!

I doubt there's anything better than LoGH for out of context quotes.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

az
Dec 2, 2005

So many regressive shitposters flying low in d&d tonight.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

Fandyien posted:

When recent Jewish immigrants were given IQ tests in the early 20th century they did relatively badly and were considered a "backwards" race alongside Irish and Blacks. Yet this has changed, almost as if IQ is heavily tied to ones environment...

a bad enough dude fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 1, 2013

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

a bad enough dude posted:

When recent Jewish immigrants were given IQ tests in the early 20th century they did relatively badly and were considered a "backwards" race alongside Irish and Blacks. Yet this has changed, almost as if IQ is heavily tied to ones environment...

Indeed! A strange neighborhood circa 1910s

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

a bad enough dude posted:

Are you talking about this?

quote:

In the spring of 1913, Goddard decided to prove the effectiveness of the test by sending two field workers to Ellis Island in New York harbor, the entry point for most immigrants. The two workers were told to "pass by the obviously normal" immigrant and choose individuals from the great mass of "average immigrants" for testing. They selected 35 Jews, 22 Hungarians, 50 Italians, and 45 Russians. Based on the results of those tests, Goddard claimed that 80 percent of the Hungarians, 79 percent of the Italians, 87 percent of the Russians, and 83 percent of the Jews were "feebleminded."
Because if so, I don't think the results actually tell us much about IQ measurements in general, nor about that of the Jewish people specifically.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I know in my heart this isn't NWS, but I also thought it was universally accepted that helmets are a good thing so America: a thousand word essay
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/SO6YunF.jpg :nws:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tCMI0uKbBE

Dude's actually singing.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Advertising:

http://youtu.be/10fTETXczPI

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Protesters against Russia's "gay propaganda" ban get attacked by Orthodox activists, arrested.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
Russia today is such a lame source of threats and vague moral outrage:

That's how you do "drat russians!"

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

This was brought up in a previous post but can anyone tell me the name of this cartoon? I want to find more. Google Image isn't returning any useful results.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Starting to piss me off how literally everyone, ever always gets anarchy so completely wrong.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

More stuff in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=615404&fpart=5

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

glitchkrieg posted:

This was brought up in a previous post but can anyone tell me the name of this cartoon? I want to find more. Google Image isn't returning any useful results.

The Outbursts of Everett True. Best source I know of is this dude's post history in this thread.

ETA: I feel obliged to note that he is not exclusively social justice, at least like that. His cartoons always follow the same pattern; dude does something annoying, callous, or unthinking, and Everett True beats the poo poo out of them for it. For the sake of variety, sometimes his wife beats him, and sometimes he refuses to beat somebody because they done something good.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

darthbob88 posted:

The Outbursts of Everett True. Best source I know of is this dude's post history in this thread.

Wicked, thanks!

Stay classy, Twitter.

• Locked thread