Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
At this place, hating law school or your fellow law students is a pathology - everywhere else, it's a Wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Circlewave posted:

geez, i'm sorry to hear that man. what makes you say that it wasn't worth it, though? not to make you spill your whole life story or anything.

i've had my fair share of doubts about actually going (lurking on TLS too long will do that to anybody), but i figured that would only be the case for the TTT bottom feeders...is it so bad even if you come out in a decent position at a top 25 school?

and Scraps, if i lived anywhere near Texas (i'm in DC), i'd take you up on it.

I'm in Richmond, but it's prolly still too far. I went to a school around like 50th, did document review for a while, there were no jobs whatsoever, started my own practice 3 years ago and I'm happy. But I'm a weirdo and I was comfortable with that roller coaster ride going into it. A lot of my friends did doc review and then vanished like they were kidnapped by a Mexican drug lord. Some have great jobs, some.... needed my assistance with their bankruptcy, which coincidentally does not kill off student loans.

I would not tell anyone "DON'T GO", but I'd say don't go expecting to be handed a job when you get out. Don't expect career services and on-campus interviews to result in anything (sub t1 and/or sub 5% grades). Don't expect to get top 5% grades. Those things could happen, but it's not likely and you can't bet +100k and 3 years on it. So if you assume that you won't get top 5% grades and won't get handed a job, would you still want to go? I would genuinely have answered yes to that question, but I know a lot of people that wish they'd taken the blue pill.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Warszawa I would believe you but I was hanging out with a 1L earlier this year and he was an incredible douchebag who said "by the way did I mention I'm a law student at Yale" at basically every opportunity.

He even did the slight pause, then head nod, eyes half closed as he said "Yale" thing too. You know of what I speak.

If hating him was a pathology well then feed me a stray cat.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I'm referring to the ATL thing that broke this morning and the subsequent school response.

Hating Yale Law and Yale Law students is, in my mind, a sign of moral fortitude.

(Also who was the 1L I want to sabotage them.)

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Woah people got waaaay mad at me for posting this

http://www.fairtest.org/racial-bias-built-tests

in response to a question as to whether law school and stuff might not be a completely egalitarian institution.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

insanityv2 posted:

Woah people got waaaay mad at me for posting this

http://www.fairtest.org/racial-bias-built-tests

in response to a question as to whether law school and stuff might not be a completely egalitarian institution.

What, you mean an overwhelmingly white and only slightly less overwhelmingly upper-middle class institution might react poorly to insinuations that persistent white supremacy plays a role in almost every aspect of society?

BUT REVERSE RACISM, GUYS.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Law school owned and I would totally do it again.

The key is to live in a frat house, never go to class and pick your attendance dates to coincide with the age of 3.5% fixed student loans and the poker boom.

It's probably worse than that if you don't do these things, though!

Ephemeron posted:

Thank you for the prompt reply. Unfortunately, the only category of Russian lawyers eligible for QLTS are 'advocates' (essentially, barristers), and I'm not one. :(

Could I just apply for an LPC (followed by a training contract and hopefully a job), or is there something else I'm missing?

I don't really have any idea, but with an LLM, wouldn't it be easier to requalify into an advokat and then go from there?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Warszawa posted:

I'm referring to the ATL thing that broke this morning and the subsequent school response

Oops, I didn't see that, and missed the joke.

petey.timeline

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Impaired driving judgment trip report:

Random stop: breath samples excluded, not guilty

Ambush arrest inside house: judge doesnt believe a word he says, probably makes factual error and error in law and i'm going to appeal damnit, guilty of everything UGH

First straight up loss since July :smith:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AgentSythe posted:

I dunno, man. A few days into my USPTO training I am greatly preferring to be hanging around the lawyers and ex-agents than the other engineers. I suppose that law grad != law student, though.

Additionally, my SPE is insane. I am terrified for when I actually get to my art unit.

My academy SPE was terrible at her job and was a miserable person to be around. My AU SPE is awesome.

Also I went to law school at GULC with 0 debt thanks to moneybags family and even though I'm not practicing at some point I hope that it pays off when I become a primary and can move up within the agency to be a judge or some bullshit.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

So if you know someone dead-set on law/grad school and who would be a very good RA with minimal supervision, this might be a less worse option than some other ones:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/getinvolved/jzra

quote:

Duties & Responsibilities

This position requires, primarily, the ability to absorb large amounts of written and other media materials from various sources (including but not restricted to: original sources, scholarly articles, news articles/blogs, interviews, databases) in a short amount of time, critically analyze that material and render it back. This rendering could take the form of prep materials for panels, conferences and presentations; article outlines; fact checking materials; original article or paper drafts; slide decks or other digested forms. The research assistant should also be prepared to help prepare materials for class sessions and syllabi, lead discussions and work with project managers to accomplish research-related goals.

Research is largely self-directed with little outside guidance beyond broad outlines and themes (though occasional targeted research assignment for a specific fact or image can be expected), so the ability to quickly critically appraise sources and identify interesting, relevant and original paths is essential. Wide-ranging interests and the ability to work on almost any issue or topic that arises is a plus, as is an ability to ramp up quickly on unfamiliar fields or topic areas. Excellent writing and editorial skills with an attention to detail are also required.

This job is an ideal opportunity for those interested in future graduate school or law school studies, whether currently admitted or still applying to such programs.

Over the course of the year, a motivated individual will sharpen and focus his or her research agenda and make valuable contributions to the field of cyberlaw and beyond, while being exposed to leaders in academia, industry, and government. A research associate in this position will work very closely with Professor Jonathan Zittrain and his team, assisting in a variety of research areas, e.g. ubiquitous human computing, mesh networks, and Internet access.

The position will not start before June 1, 2013. As with all Berkman staff positions, this is a term position, ending June 30, 2014.

Basic Qualifications

BA or BS degree.

Additional Qualifications

Previous teaching/TAing experience a plus. Previous formal experience in cyberlaw is not required, but a strongly developed interest in cyberlaw, the Internet, technology and policy is highly recommended.

Additional Information

About Jonathan Zittrain

Jonathan Zittrain is Professor of Law at Harvard Law School and the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Professor of Computer Science at the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and co-founder of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society. His research interests include battles for control of digital property and content, cryptography, electronic privacy, the roles of intermediaries within Internet architecture, human computing, and the useful and unobtrusive deployment of technology in education. More about Professor Zittrain at: http://jz.org/

Organization

The Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University is a research program founded to explore cyberspace, share in its study, and help pioneer its development. Founded in 1997, through a generous gift from Jack N. and Lillian R. Berkman, the Center is home to an ever-growing community of faculty, fellows, staff, and affiliates working on projects that span the broad range of intersections between cyberspace, technology, and society. More information can be found at http://cyber.law.harvard.edu.

Commitment to Diversity

The work and well-being of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University are strengthened profoundly by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We actively seek and welcome applications from diverse candidates, as well as applications from researchers and practitioners from across the spectrum of disciplines and methods.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

J Miracle posted:

Well yeah if nobody actually kicked the plaintiff out then obviously the plaintiff is full of poo poo. All that "letting it run around knocking poo poo over" stuff tends to be a real fact-specific thing, I mean somebody's wheelchair might knock some stuff over and everyone would let it slide, but if somebody's dog bumps something it seems like its a goddamn nightmare THAT CANNOT BE ENDURED.

Yes, plaintiffs tend to be full of poo poo. If they weren't full of poo poo, we would settle.

Regarding the dog, that's really not a very good comparison. It would be more similar to the person in the wheelchair hauling rear end around the store running into people without any consideration of who they hit. The dog was literally running full speed around the store and jumping on people.

Solid Lizzie posted:

Also, law school is just the worst.

Disagree. Law school owned. Not the actual classes, but everything else.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 31, 2013

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nero posted:

I thought the ADA had a million regulations about the height of doorknobs and stuff. I admit it, the only things I know about the ADA are from a CLE I spent daydreaming about not being a lawyer, and am duly chastised.

But seriously gently caress the byzantines
cool job dissing what I enjoy doing for a living while having no idea what you are talking about, though.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

HiddenReplaced posted:

Disagree. Law school owned. Not the actual classes, but everything else.

False, Law school was horrible. I un-ironically love the practice of law though.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I liked most of the first five semesters of law school and the sixth (so far) is the easiest I've had it, like, ever. It helps that my 1L section was all cool people and we've stuck together. And it helps we have great weather.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I liked the part of law school where I had time to draw stuff and my friends were impressed with it because they didn't know any real artists.

On that note, the anime will continue until morale improves:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

False, Law school was horrible. I un-ironically love the practice of law though.

Law school owned but that's because I mastered the art of cramming so it was basically a three year vacation.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I didn't see this NY Times article posted. I thought it would be of interest.

Law Schools’ Applications Fall as Costs Rise and Jobs Are Cut

quote:

A few schools, like the Vermont Law School, have started layoffs and buyouts of professors. Others, like at the University of Illinois, have offered across-the-board tuition discounts to keep up enrollments. Brian Leiter of the University of Chicago Law School, who runs a blog on the topic, said he expected as many as 10 schools to close over the coming decade, and half to three-quarters of all schools to reduce class size, faculty and staff.

After the normal dropout of some applicants, the number of those matriculating in the fall will be about 38,000, the lowest since 1977, when there were two dozen fewer law schools, according to Brian Z. Tamanaha of Washington University Law School, the author of “Failing Law Schools.”

I can't help but feel a little bit gratified by legal academia feeling pain.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

TyChan posted:

I can't help but feel a little bit gratified by legal academia feeling pain.

But who will write articles for the Blank School of Law Space, Kittens, and Due Process Journal?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Bro Enlai posted:

I liked the part of law school where I had time to draw stuff and my friends were impressed with it because they didn't know any real artists
PS love your crazy-rear end anime lawyer blog

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

TenementFunster posted:

HAHAHAH you have the section key number pasted to your monitor. Oh god I love it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

TenementFunster posted:

I'll take alt codes used only by lawyers for $100, Alex...

e: beaten

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

CaptainScraps posted:

HAHAHAH you have the section key number pasted to your monitor. Oh god I love it.
that's nothing. I still have my phone number on a post it stuck on my phone

it's labeled "your phone number"

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 14, 2013

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

What's that book your Gunbuster is standing on, is that some manga because it doesn't look like anything a lawyer would have

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Bro Enlai posted:

What's that book your Gunbuster is standing on, is that some manga because it doesn't look like anything a lawyer would have
Love Hina tankōbon cleverly disguised as a citation manual :ssh:

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Law school owned but that's because I mastered the art of cramming so it was basically a three year vacation.
Pretty much this, although, despite the effort involved, I enjoyed my seminars. The mid-recession job hunt added a lot of stress, but that was less law school being crappy and more that, going in, I was clueless as to how difficult it would be land a good job.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

TenementFunster posted:

that's nothing. I still have my phone number on a post it stuck on my phone

it's labeled "your phone number"

My set-up looks eerily similar to yours, including the drugs.

I have my business card taped to one of my monitors for phone number purposes.

I also have my bar number on a sticky note on the other monitor.

And then also a list of different billing codes.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
haha the post it with my bar number on it is just out of frame in that picture

also no desk is truly like mine unless it has a blue zaku

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bbbut how are you going to remember alt-0182?!?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

Protip: you can bind your own commands for the section number thingie and the paragraph symbol thingie in the symbol menu.

Whatever ctrl-alt-s and ctrl-alt-p used to do was way less useful than what they do now.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

evilweasel posted:

Protip: you can bind your own commands for the section number thingie and the paragraph symbol thingie in the symbol menu.

Whatever ctrl-alt-s and ctrl-alt-p used to do was way less useful than what they do now.

I was going to post this, I just change the section symbol to alt+S, everything goes much more quickly.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I made my spell check autocorrect "ss " to the section symbol. There are a million ways!

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

I made my spell check autocorrect "ss " to the section symbol. There are a million ways!
Mine is "SS" because wouldn't you have problems when you're spelling words with double S's?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Bro Enlai posted:

I liked the part of law school where I had time to draw stuff and my friends were impressed with it because they didn't know any real artists.

On that note, the anime will continue until morale improves:

The Palsgraf one is still the best, but these are cool.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 1, 2013

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

The Palsgraf one is still the best, but these are cool.

I want to see it (the Palsgraf one)! :v:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274&pagenumber=292&perpage=40#post389909558

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Law school was awesome. I long for the days that I can wake up for a few minutes to see the stock market open, maybe trade, smoke a bowl, play a few rounds of Battlefield, go back to bed, and then maybe do some homework/class, and then get drunk.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Once I realized that attendance in class was totally optional, and that I had bills to pay, I just got a regular job during law school. I did doc review, which has the upside of flexible hours so I could come and go. So it was normal living, with a week of cramming twice a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Green Crayons posted:

Mine is "SS" because wouldn't you have problems when you're spelling words with double S's?

Mine is "sec " (with the space)