Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

WastedJoker posted:

I'm from Durham and she sounds like a Geordie to me....I'm mildly freaked out now.

Edit: Just watched a few bits oft he 1st ep again and seriously, she sounds like a weird Sheffield/Geordie mix to me.

I think I've had a stroke.

Have you ever heard a Welsh accent before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

WastedJoker posted:

I'm from Durham and she sounds like a Geordie to me....I'm mildly freaked out now.

Edit: Just watched a few bits oft he 1st ep again and seriously, she sounds like a weird Sheffield/Geordie mix to me.

I think I've had a stroke.

I know what you mean. She's clearly Welsh but every now and then a line sounds very north eastern.

e: I'm from Newcastle

ee: Weekly wipe was loving hilarious. Way better than 2013 wipe. I agree the film review bit felt a bit forced and Doug Stanhope is only rarely more than slightly amusing, but apart from those parts I was in tears laughing through most of it.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 1, 2013

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Squalitude posted:

Weekly Wipe was so terrible I won't be watching again even if there's nothing else to occupy my time next Thursday. Kinda sad, really.

lol

I liked it, the Barry Shitpeas and Philomena Cunk section especially. the only bit I didn't really like was the film review

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It was alright.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Weekly Wipe was exactly the same as all Brooker's other Wipe series except for the lovely guest review panel which was 4 minutes out of a half hour show. You guys make it sound like the show was something he poo poo out and smeared over your front door or something.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
Yeah, he knows the wipe format works, and he's got a nice secure time slot and he's experimenting with the formula a bit, something that he couldn't as easily have gotten away with when screen/newswipe was a little culty and had a smaller and kind of terrible internet people audience. Now he is successful he's trying different stuff. It doesn't all work but the thing about television is you don't know how something is going to be received until it is received and besides, it was short. And it prompted a discussion about Django unchained when we were watching it so we missed it anyway. But happily, reminded ourselves that it was a cool film.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm glad the panel of celebrity guests was just for the film review segment, going on the iplayer thumbnail I was worried they'd be there for the entire show. Those 4 minutes weren't unwatchable either, unlike Stanhope's section. Usually he's at least making some kind of a point about something but this time it's just a bit of his stand up I guess?

The rest was a pretty good mix of Screen and Newswipe.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rarity posted:

Weekly Wipe was exactly the same as all Brooker's other Wipe series except for the lovely guest review panel which was 4 minutes out of a half hour show. You guys make it sound like the show was something he poo poo out and smeared over your front door or something.

Get with the times grandad, Brooker is mainstream now. The cool is in hating him.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think a grand total of one person actually hated it. I hope he takes a look at video games at some point in the series.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I thought it was a good start, not great and probably hurting for an hour episode length (or at least Doug Stanhope getting punched in the face, one or the other) but I liked where it was and can see where Brooker's Maturing comedy nicely contrasts with his want to rely on the old classics.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

justcola posted:

I watched all of Utopia this evening after the talk in the thread.

I'm also sick to death of shows having characters walk out into a road and being hit by a truck or bus coming from off screen. It was shocking when I saw it in Mean Girls, but not so much in every single drama that has been made in the last ten years. I'd like to see the point of view of the drivers of these trucks, what are they doing all the time that these people decide to stand in the middle of the road with no traffic around, preferably whilst talking to somebody standing on the pavement? Really grinds my gears.

Just curious, is this referring to the guy getting hit after dropping the package in the mail? If so, I'm pretty sure that was entirely intentional on his part and not really setup to be a surprise. If not, I guess I forgot something.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
Screenwipe was alright, as mentioned the Barry Shitpeas segment was brilliant and I don't mind Doug Stanhope and thought his bit was quite funny too. The movie review bit was rubbish though, nothing of substance was said. I found it contradictory for Screenwipe to be so insightful and considered on many topics (like the NRA bit) and then just basically spend 5 minutes going 'Extreme violence made me lol' and 'It made me think about slaves lol'. It was just a bit juvenile which didn't fit the show.

I'm kind of half enjoying Utopia too, it's certainly watchable but is a bit style over substance.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I thought Doug Stanhope was actually funny this time, I don't normally rate him.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
I think you lot are missing the point of Doug Stanhope.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

7seven7 posted:

I think you lot are missing the point of Doug Stanhope.

"I don't think you 'get' the joke, man. If you got the joke you'd find it funny. Here, let me explain why Stuart Lee is funny to you it is because-"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I like Doug Stanhope a lot, he is one of the few current stand up comedians that I can tolerate. I don't get why he's so hated to be honest, as he isn't a bigot or misogynist, and he doesn't attack the weak in his comedy. Obviously his humour is a lot more base and crude than the likes of Stuart Lee, but I'd put him alongside Lee as a worthy comedy performer.

For content, his standup/doc Go Home, is a short worthwhile watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuHVAm4m6iM

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 1, 2013

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

I like Doug Stanhope a lot, he is one of the few current stand up comedians that I can tolerate. I don't get why he's so hated to be honest, as he isn't a bigot or misogynist, and he doesn't attack the weak in his comedy. Obviously his humour is a lot more base and crude than the likes of Stuart Lee, but I'd put him alongside Lee as a worthy comedy performer.

I think it's because he's a massive raving libertarian. I can ignore his politics and just enjoy the jokes though. But then I find the sight of a man hopping around a stage screaming "gently caress your keynsian economics, SQUAT THRUSTS! What would would Hayek tell you? He'd tell you to do SQUAT THRUSTS!" absolutely hilarious.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Want to an hour of NIMBYs and :qq:ing about house prices?

e: 19:20 is comedy gold.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 1, 2013

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
I find his stand up to be better than his ~wipe appearances. His personal politics have soured me to the man though.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I thought Weekly Wipe was great apart from the film talk part.

I'd guess that an advantage of making them per-week is that they can make changes easily until they find the best format.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

StrawmanUK posted:

I find his stand up to be better than his ~wipe appearances. His personal politics have soured me to the man though.

Personally, I won't listen to any comedian that hasn't written at least one academic essay about how Marxism, communism and all that other stuff is really good.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I like him, but it felt weird that his stand-up bit on Wipe seemed to be filmed in a room containing a grand total of three people and a laugh track.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Lovechop posted:

Personally, I won't listen to any comedian that hasn't written at least one academic essay about how Marxism, communism and all that other stuff is really good.

Zizek is a great comedian!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Some Strange Flea posted:

I like him, but it felt weird that his stand-up bit on Wipe seemed to be filmed in a room containing a grand total of three people and a laugh track.

I really didn't understand what the point of that was.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I am getting a little bit bored of Brooker :( I think it started when he had a ridiculous haircut.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I thought it was pretty great. I really do wish each episode was an hour though, it felt like it was over way too quickly.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

pointsofdata posted:

Want to an hour of NIMBYs and :qq:ing about house prices?

e: 19:20 is comedy gold.

Blimey, if you thought Utopia had a lot of stereotypical, shallow characters you couldn't really empathise with properly this will blow your mind. The only people in it who seemed like decent people were the two old GPs who wanted to put solar panels on their roof even though they almost certainly won't live long enough to see any benefit from them, just because they think it's the right thing to do.

Also BANANA (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything) is a better acronym than NIBMY and we should use it more.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Irisi posted:

Nooo....because, you see, cakes are delicious and covered in icing sugar and chocolate and other lovely things. Naked mole rats look like sad little penises with teeth and claws attached and their queen is a screaming pink horror who is perpetually pregnant and pissed off about it.

No good can come of mole rats, you know.

Crawling penises ruled over by a pulsating tumour-filled ballsac.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

WastedJoker posted:

I am getting a little bit bored of Brooker :( I think it started when he had a ridiculous haircut.

Yeah being groomed really puts me off TV personalities, personally

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Imagine how much the nation would love David Attenborough if he was peering out from an Alan Moore style beard.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

le chat posted:

There's being groomed, and then there's getting the exact same type of stupid floppy haircut that you yourself were taking this piss out of in Nathan Barley.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I wish he'd go bald so this thread doesn't start talking about his loving hair every time he does a thing. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading HEAT: UK GOON EDITION.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wish he'd go bald so this thread doesn't start talking about his loving hair every time he does a thing. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading HEAT: UK GOON EDITION.

Bald, a moustache and fat again for the full paedophile walrus look?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SeanBeansShako posted:

BROOKER NO LONGER LOOKS LIKE A SHUT-IN NECKBEARD - MORE ON THIS SHAMEFUL STORY INSIDE
Other features: Top 10 Monster Munch Flavours, Star Wars Kid: The Shocking Tell-All Interview, Who Likes Tits Anyway?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Flatscan posted:

There's being groomed, and then there's getting the exact same type of stupid floppy haircut that you yourself were taking this piss out of in Nathan Barley.

Ah yes, Nathan Barley, that famous biting pisstake of London haircut culture.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Do you not remember geekpie?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Superb Owls posted:

I'm trying to get into the works of Adam Curtis (Thanks to Screenwipe) and I'm wondering on which Documentary of his to start off with? Which documentary showcases the best of what he can do?

The power of nightmares is a decent way to start as its basically about the the link and rise between American non-conservative ideology and extremist fundamentalist Islamic ideology, some links are a bit strained but the general message i surprisingly coherent. Someone expertly de-constructed curtis' work by saying something like "You'll believe any link he puts forward once he presents it with hypnotic editing of BBC stock footage interspersed with ambient music from nine inch nails and Brian eno" i forget where that was from though.

It's definitely worth watching some of his longer films they include some interesting links but its debatable to what extent they prove to be true.

Ha found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 1, 2013

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Good to see that parody again. Still brilliant.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

le chat posted:

It certainly did with Jimmy Savile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Jonnty posted:

Ah yes, Nathan Barley, that famous biting pisstake of London haircut culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKS6ShrGrog