Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

movax posted:

Penn and Teller fuckin' owns, make sure you stick around after the show to meet 'em and get a pic or something.

It was strange to hear him call me boss, but it's good advice. They are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

movax posted:

I wasn't a fan of Tropicana (the gaming floor anyway) but as the above poster said, your room is for you to shower/sleep/hangover recovery, nothing else.

One thing I will suggest though, a group of us went over NYE, and first thing we did when we got there is run to the grocery store and buy a ton of lunch meat/sandwich stuff. Lot cheaper than eating out everyday. Our place even had a kitchenette, so we could do eggs and stuff.

I would say if you're in Las Vegas and you're not eating delicious amazing food all the time, you're doing it wrong.

It really depends what you want to get out of the city -- I'm not a huge drinker and don't get the whole bottle service/nightclub/dj thing at all, but I'm a compulsive gambler and huge foodie so I love Vegas.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I'll be spending a week in Vegas in late March while my husband goes to a Frontsight :jihad: training course. Probably staying downtown at the Golden Nugget or 4 Queens. What is an older lady goon to do during the day all by her lonesome? I've already done the zipline and a helicopter tour and I don't like buffets or gambling much. Got my fill of sightseeing on the strip last June, but I guess I'll go see it all again. I think I might go on a horseback riding tour of the desert, but I want that to be at the end of the week as I will likely be sore afterwards. There are jeep tours of Red Rock, but I feel kinda weird going by myself - don't want to intrude on a family outing, has anyone done those before?

Are there any matinee shows you guys know of? Price is Right was a hot ticket item for daytime last summer, but I think it's gone now. Hubby will be back around 7ish, but will likely just want to eat and fall into bed, so I need to entertain myself.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Meow Cadet posted:

I'll be spending a week in Vegas in late March while my husband goes to a Frontsight :jihad: training course. Probably staying downtown at the Golden Nugget or 4 Queens. What is an older lady goon to do during the day all by her lonesome? I've already done the zipline and a helicopter tour and I don't like buffets or gambling much. Got my fill of sightseeing on the strip last June, but I guess I'll go see it all again. I think I might go on a horseback riding tour of the desert, but I want that to be at the end of the week as I will likely be sore afterwards. There are jeep tours of Red Rock, but I feel kinda weird going by myself - don't want to intrude on a family outing, has anyone done those before?

Are there any matinee shows you guys know of? Price is Right was a hot ticket item for daytime last summer, but I think it's gone now. Hubby will be back around 7ish, but will likely just want to eat and fall into bed, so I need to entertain myself.

I highly recommend Pink Jeep Tours. We toured Valley of Fire with them but they do Red Rock also. They pick you up and drop you off at your hotel with a Jeep that seats 10(?). There were 3 couples, including my boyfriend and I, and a few single people in our group so you wouldn't be intruding on anything.

Grand Canyon is absolutely amazing and worth a visit also. They do horseback riding in half hour/ hour/ two hour rides at the west rim of the canyon. If you're worried about being sore afterwards you could do a shorter ride.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

Just came back from my 2nd trip!

Did everything I missed doing my last trip!

Highlights:

-Saw Jersey Boys, was fantastic, everything I expected! (try to get centered seats. We had seats off to the side and missed some things.)

-Went to the Stratosphere and did two rides, Big Shot and X-scream in 45mph winds. TOTALLY crazy!

-Peppermill's restaurant. Great food, insane portions!

-Did the ziplines at fremont. Short but worth it!

-Ate breakfast at "Mon Ami Gabi" inside Paris hotel on the terrace.

-Mexican cokes!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Museum of Organized Crime

SO-SO

-I know this will shock some people but I found Penn and Teller merely okay. I didn't help that I had seen at least 5 of the tricks on FOOL US.
Also, they did this bizarre trick where they picked a person, closed her eyes and silly tricks to her using metal rings. The only person who really feels the trick is one person while
the rest of us see how it's done. Interesting but I found it to be flat. Cool of them to take pictures and sign autographs with the fans though.

Lowlights:

-The gourmet buffet at Bellagio's. Food was okay. Not worth the price (38$) we paid.

-Annoying solicitors/People who hand out those "GIRLS TO YOUR ROOM" cards.

-We stayed at Bill's and we're sad that it's closing. I found it to be charming! Juuuuuuuust the right amount of dank!!!

Satisfaction Guaranteed fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 31, 2013

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

Meow Cadet posted:

No more price is right, we were bummed about that :(

However, I did see ads for this:

http://www.thequadlv.com/shows/jeff-civilico-comedy-in-action.html#.UQmnePLETjA

which is a 2pm show (there's a coupon that allows you to buy a :10bux: ticket!!) and

http://www.harrahslasvegas.com/shows/mac-king-comedy-magic-show.html#.UQmn_PLETjA

I did not see either show so YMMV

And on Saturdays Jersey boys at the Paris has a 5pm showing

Satisfaction Guaranteed fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 31, 2013

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Bill's owns. I was crushed when I heard its going to be revamped to something else. Best cheap strip hotel by far.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

FaceEater posted:

Downtown Cocktail Bar
Great spot. Service was kinda wack, which they admitted freely to us because we were there at like 7 on a weeknight, and it was just us 4 dudes and a couple couples in the place, but some tasty drinks and nice for a little class in the semi-decrepancy of some of downtown / Fremont.

Where is this exactly?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Bill's owns. I was crushed when I heard its going to be revamped to something else. Best cheap strip hotel by far.

What the hell??!!! First I've heard of this. drat, this was thee best spot on the strip. Cheap rooms but still nice.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

AzCoug posted:

Where is this exactly?

Just off Fremont Street, right after the canopy ends. It's kinda tucked off the side a bit and not easily visible. And you'll stand outside what you assume is the entryway for at least a little bit while you try to figure out how to actually get inside the place because the door isn't obvious.

I just spent 3 days staying at the Plaza and hanging around Fremont Street and this place was hands down my favorite spot. Everything we tried was somewhere between great and exceptional. Place has a wonderful vibe; dimly lit, lots of cozy table setups, chill music. Service is a little slow but it's mostly because these are drinks that you can't just bang out a dozen of in 30 seconds and there was only one bartender on the weeknights. But I really couldn't recommend the place enough.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Now we're thinking of driving to Vegas from Sacramento area in the Spring. Don't want to take I-5 or 99, looking at maybe 395 to Barstow and 15 over to Vegas, or taking 95 and staying in Nevada mostly. Any thoughts? We'd probably do an overnight, either in Bishop or Tonopah respectively. Just looking for scenery and a change of pace.

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Zombies? Or middle-management? I can't tell...

Meow Cadet posted:

Now we're thinking of driving to Vegas from Sacramento area in the Spring. Don't want to take I-5 or 99, looking at maybe 395 to Barstow and 15 over to Vegas, or taking 95 and staying in Nevada mostly. Any thoughts? We'd probably do an overnight, either in Bishop or Tonopah respectively. Just looking for scenery and a change of pace.

I haven't made that drive to/from Sacramento, but keep this in mind if you take the 95: In those more rural areas, the 95 is the main road in some towns, which means significantly slower speeds and stop lights. Cops LOVE to give tickets. I heard this from some friends who took the 95 north before venturing off to Boise.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Meow Cadet posted:

Two words about Tonopah: Clown Motel - http://www.panoramio.com/photo/11583944

That area also happens to be some of my favorite driving in the world. Gorgeous at dusk/dawn, nary a soul else on the 2 lane blacktops, and US-6, 95, and 50 are all gorgeous in that end-of-the-world scenery sort of way.

Edit: Just realized I did the drive heading westward from Tonopah to Sacramento once, and, in reverse order (Sacramento to Tonopah) we went US-50 to US-395 to CA-120 to US-6, and it was bea-utiful.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 2, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So like millions of other jackasses in America, I'm planning a bachelor party in Vegas. I guess there's going to be around 9 of us total? Someone earlier mentioned a suite at the Venetian, any other places we could jam a bunch of guys? I'm guessing no matter what we'll need more rooms, but we'll probably spend most of the time partying together so a large place to hang out would be best.

I know we're going sometime at the end of spring/begging of summer. I have no idea what we want to do, or even how much money we'll have. The groom is unemployed and a lot of our friends are underemployed. Me and the other best man have good middle class jobs, but I don't think we can pay for everything for everybody.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

FISHMANPET posted:

So like millions of other jackasses in America, I'm planning a bachelor party in Vegas. I guess there's going to be around 9 of us total? Someone earlier mentioned a suite at the Venetian, any other places we could jam a bunch of guys? I'm guessing no matter what we'll need more rooms, but we'll probably spend most of the time partying together so a large place to hang out would be best.

I know we're going sometime at the end of spring/begging of summer. I have no idea what we want to do, or even how much money we'll have. The groom is unemployed and a lot of our friends are underemployed. Me and the other best man have good middle class jobs, but I don't think we can pay for everything for everybody.

Venetian is all suites, but don't let that trick you into thinking you could fit nine people into one. In fact I'm kind of suspicious of the idea of "stuff a bunch of guys into a suite for cheap" anyway. First off you'll have to sneak around a bit to hide the fact that you are going way over max occupancy. Second is that suites are expensive enough that if you're OK with being uncomfortable you might as well get a block of cheap rooms at The Quad (previously Imperial Palace) or Luxor or something.

For example, a wraparound suite at Cosmo on a random weekend in May is $1760 for two nights. With tax and resort fee that's over $100/night/person and most of you would be sleeping on the floor. At the quad you're looking at $40/person/night tops and everyone gets a bed. $20/person/night if you go four to a room.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Magic Underwear posted:

Venetian is all suites, but don't let that trick you into thinking you could fit nine people into one. In fact I'm kind of suspicious of the idea of "stuff a bunch of guys into a suite for cheap" anyway. First off you'll have to sneak around a bit to hide the fact that you are going way over max occupancy. Second is that suites are expensive enough that if you're OK with being uncomfortable you might as well get a block of cheap rooms at The Quad (previously Imperial Palace) or Luxor or something.

For example, a wraparound suite at Cosmo on a random weekend in May is $1760 for two nights. With tax and resort fee that's over $100/night/person and most of you would be sleeping on the floor. At the quad you're looking at $40/person/night tops and everyone gets a bed. $20/person/night if you go four to a room.

Are travel sites a good place to find cheap Vegas hotels? Would something like Priceline or Hotwire (or other "secret" deals) work just fine? I did a search on Travelocity from May 20-24 as an example, and it said nothing was available on those dates, but it had a lot of "Top Secret" deals for like $20 a night.

Haha, Priceline has Circus Circus for $22 a night for double queens. What are the odds of that room being covered in semen and hepatitis?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

FISHMANPET posted:

Are travel sites a good place to find cheap Vegas hotels? Would something like Priceline or Hotwire (or other "secret" deals) work just fine? I did a search on Travelocity from May 20-24 as an example, and it said nothing was available on those dates, but it had a lot of "Top Secret" deals for like $20 a night.

Haha, Priceline has Circus Circus for $22 a night for double queens. What are the odds of that room being covered in semen and hepatitis?

Circus Circus is not very nice and it also has a terrible location. Please don't stay at circus circus for your batchelor party.

As for priceline etc, I don't think they have anything special EXCEPT that the "name your own price" dealie can be gamed sometimes. Look up biddingfortravel. Note that outside of specific cases, doing name your own price in vegas will get you bad results like Trump or LVH. Not terrible places just not at all close to the action.

I know of two sites for legit Vegas deals that I find pretty reliable. They are mycheapvegas.com and smartervegas.com. They are mostly duplicative of each other but I find mycheapvegas to be slightly more up to date so that is the one I use most.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Meow Cadet posted:

Take the course with him!

I've always wanted to go...

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

I would have recommended Bill's as it was cheap/great location/rooms were fairly clean.

But now it's closed. :(

The Quad is a good location/cheap but it's under heavy HEAVY renovations (place doesn't even have a proper facade atm) but I don't think the renovations have reached the rooms yet. It's super cheap for a reason and the rooms get BASHED on review sites all the time.

Question for the locals: I know about Echelon and the Fontainebleau but what's with all the empty lots/boarded up buildings on the way downtown? Seriously, everything looks old and sketchy between the main strip and fremont. Any reason for that? I finally did that bus ride in the day (after numerous night rides) and it was just as sad in the broad daylight.

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Zombies? Or middle-management? I can't tell...
I've never understood the idea of a bachelor party spending a shitton on one or two hotel rooms in Vegas. Doesn't it make more sense for everyone to get their own room so they have a place to take a random girl at the end of the night?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It seems like as many people come to Vegas for a bachelor party and such, there'd be some arrangement with a bunch of rooms having access to a common party area. There's likely to be a fair amount of hanging out and drinking and that sucks to do in a standard hotel room with a bunch of dudes, but a bigger place with couches and tables and chairs and stuff can be pretty nice. I might look at some stuff at the Quad for the bulk of us and then getting a larger room for the groom to be/a place to hang.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Magic Underwear posted:

I know of two sites for legit Vegas deals that I find pretty reliable. They are mycheapvegas.com and smartervegas.com. They are mostly duplicative of each other but I find mycheapvegas to be slightly more up to date so that is the one I use most.

Parroting smartervegas.com as where I go for deals. Find a hotel you'd like and theres a couple promo codes. Click through on all the deals, often times deal 3 might be better than deal 1 or 2.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

As an adult, I rarely share a hotel room with anyone. Unless absolutely necessary, that's just me. I'd look at Tropicana and Planet Hollywood as well. Also, Rumor, Artisan, and like Sam's Town or somethin? Maybe downtown? I guess downtown would be good for a budget trip.

I don't get the allure of coming to Vegas with little to no money to spend for a bachelor party. Drinks are more expensive, strippers aren't cheap, rooms during Spring Break until the end of Summer aren't cheap. And partying even remotely properly should cost you a couple hundred dollars a person per night.

Hell, I'm trying to talk my insanely rich friend into planning his bachelor party in Montreal or somewhere in Texas.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I don't get it either. I went to a bachelor party weekend a couple years ago and all 3 guys I went with brought less than $200 each for the 3 days we would be there. This included food and pitching in for the rooms. Yeah, I had fun walking the strip when I was 13 coming to Vegas with my parents. I like doing big boy things now. Talk your friends on doing something else. You will quickly grow tired of everyone broke complaining they can't do anything.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
How in the world are drinks in Vegas expensive? I've spent eight bucks on a Red Bull but I've never spent a dime on actual alcoholic drinks.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

revmoo posted:

How in the world are drinks in Vegas expensive? I've spent eight bucks on a Red Bull but I've never spent a dime on actual alcoholic drinks.

Because you are gambling. You need money to gamble and if their friends are broke then they won't be doing much of that. Especially since they are going for a bachelor party so they are more than likely not wanting to be sitting at a casino bar playing Video Poker all night to get drunk.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

revmoo posted:

Some people go to these things called bars or nightclubs. The serve alcohol there which costs money.

Dr. Eat
Jan 4, 2005
Brain Specialist

JaySB posted:

Some people go to these things called bars or nightclubs. The serve alcohol there which costs money.
idk man, i'm a pretty big fan of getting sloshed for free at the venetian video poker bar and getting approached by hookers all night.

don't see how marquee or tao can compete with that.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Dr. Eat posted:

idk man, i'm a pretty big fan of getting sloshed for free at the venetian video poker bar and getting approached by hookers all night.

don't see how marquee or tao can compete with that.

To each his own? Different strokes for different folks?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
My thing in Vegas is to go out and eat ethnic food. Different strokes for different folks. You guys have the best Chinatown

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Insane Totoro posted:

My thing in Vegas is to go out and eat ethnic food. Different strokes for different folks. You guys have the best Chinatown

That's probably been my favorite unexpected thing since I've been living here for a couple of months now...Chinatown is awesome.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Uh why have we not been shooting a ton of guns, drinking a lot, gambling, and eating Thai food together?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

He probably got SARS again

e: oh sorry this isn't the Goon Meet thread, uhhh content, Wynn had some drat good Mojitos.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

movax posted:

He probably got SARS again

:lol:

Seriously, I think I had SARS for that entire week...let me tell you want, dealing with finalizing the insurance claim for your totaled car while going car shopping, trying to find a place to live, and simultaneously starting work while you literally feel like death is a fun experience.

Anyway it's not the goon meet thread but insane tortoro shoot me a PM.

Also there is a really good Korean BBQ place next to the Korean market on Spring Mountain and Rainbow, felt like I was back in Daegu. Their kimchi is excellent.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

Uh why have we not been shooting a ton of guns, drinking a lot, gambling, and eating Thai food together?

I shoot every week. I'm shooting tomorrow...errr in 7 hours at the range near Jean.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Hell I have family in Vegas. Next time I'm out there I expect beer and machine guns.

Dr. Eat
Jan 4, 2005
Brain Specialist

JaySB posted:

To each his own? Different strokes for different folks?
i was also a big fan of playing a game where i had to drink everytime i folded cause i lost a bet. f u aria for cutting me off. only casino in vegas that's done that BS to me.

Dr. Eat fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 19, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has anyone done something like this?

http://www.exoticsracing.com/

Was it worth it?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 24, 2013

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone done something like this?

http://www.exoticsracing.com/

Was it worth it?

I did something similar- I rented an exotic car for my bf to drive for 24 hours with Vegas Luxury Rides. It was about the same cost, and we were able to go to Hoover Dam and Red Rock instead of driving in circles for an hour (I'm not a big car person in case you couldn't tell). At the risk of sounding like a paid advertisement, the customer service was remarkable- everyone was friendly and there were no hidden costs. They even figured out that the experience was supposed to be a surprise- I guess it's easy to tell if the woman pays and a man's name is on the registration forms. I'd recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Hello,
My folks are going to LV in March and are having a hard time finding a good place to stay. Like the OP states, hotels fall in and out of favour, and that's what my parents are finding as trip advisor and some other sites say that a lot of hotels are under construction right now, or that the ones they used to stay at are getting bad reviews. I'm wondering if you fine goons can help me know some currently favourable places for them to stay. They'd ideally like to be on the strip, and pay as little as possible, and have a clean room. That's really it. They like to wander and don't mind leaving the place they're staying to go play slots and look for pawn stores somewhere else. I told my dad about Bill's Gambling Hall, so he's looking into it. Thanks!