Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Next chapter is out in Japanese, only a day late. Good but a bit short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caeruleas
Mar 5, 2007
This too shall pass
That didn't seem short. :confused:

Another gif-worthy chapter.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That's because in between me reading and you posting Murata added in about 10 double page spreads that apparently didn't make it into the first version of the chapter through some sort of mistake. :v: For reference, everything in between the double page shot of the apartment and Genos getting the phone call wasn't there when I read it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
This manga cannot be released fast enough.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
When will I be able to buy it in English in paperback format (or whatever)?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

AnonSpore posted:

That's because in between me reading and you posting Murata added in about 10 double page spreads that apparently didn't make it into the first version of the chapter through some sort of mistake. :v: For reference, everything in between the double page shot of the apartment and Genos getting the phone call wasn't there when I read it.

That happened to me too. But now that I know:

Caeruleas posted:

Another gif-worthy chapter.

I've never made a .gif from stringing together images, but I gave it a shot.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 2, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There is a translation out, but don't read it. To put it simply, "Jenosu". Think about that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

And a billion watermarks per downsized page marring Murata's art. Yeah.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

onepixeljumpman posted:

That happened to me too. But now that I know:

I've never made a .gif from stringing together images, but I gave it a shot.

Please tell me that's someone being punched through the goddamn moon.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Looks like a zoom out from some dialogue (probably "Well I guess the Earth is safe now!") to a giant asteroid speeding towards earth.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This manga owns. How can something with such a silly premise manage to be so good?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

trucutru posted:

This manga owns. How can something with such a silly premise manage to be so good?

Well, it's not really a silly premise, is it? It goes to the heart of being a super-hero: what does it mean when you are simply superior? Why do you do what you do when you are just better than everyone else? Saitama is Superman writ large, a being so far above the rest it's simply not fathomable. And when you get to that point, what motivates you? Why do you do what you do? What goes on when all it takes is one punch? What does it mean to be a hero?

Onepunch-Man, for all it's silliness, is a very deep manga. It hides it's complexity behind silly heroes, ridiculous villains, and gags, but fundamentally it's a surprisingly deep examination of heroism. Saitama simply has no peer when it comes to power, yet he is pretty much unknown and his deeds go completely unacknowledged. He could twist the world around his finger, for better or worse, but he doesn't. Why? And what does that mean, in the context of a world that idolizes super-heroes and is besieged by forces beyond comprehension? Is he the platonic ideal of heroism, or is he merely a force of nature?

(I'm only being partially facetious here, btw.)

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Murata posted this on his Twitter.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Sigh... I was really hoping it was someone getting punched through the moon, but Saitama verses Armageddon will be fine I guess.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Liar posted:

Sigh... I was really hoping it was someone getting punched through the moon, but Saitama verses Armageddon will be fine I guess.

I think you mean Saitama as Bruce Willis in Armageddon

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Pyronic posted:

I think you mean Saitama as Bruce Willis in Armageddon

Minus any space shuttles or crazy Russians. I fully expect Saitama to just be sort of standing outside and put an end to the asteroid by simply being hit by it and having it fracture on his head.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I'm surprised the story is apparently not set on Earth! I wonder if this is just a superfluous detail or they'll make something of it later

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

So has anyone uploaded the newest chapter who isn't mangapanda? I'd rather not have watermarks all over the place.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Mangapanda does their own version (which is uploaded on their site) which is terrible both in terms of translation quality and in the watermarks, as you know. You can keep an eye on Boon's blog, mangaupdate's site, or Batoto to see if Boon's version has come out. I or someone else will probably also mention it in this thread soon after it's released, as well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Boon
Batoto

Translations that are not literally worse than Google Translate.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Xy Hapu posted:

I'm surprised the story is apparently not set on Earth! I wonder if this is just a superfluous detail or they'll make something of it later

Even odder considering Saitama's Chicago Bulls shirt.

Also now I'm wondering when we'll see Tanktop Man. Wonder if he's anything like long-time cosplay weirdo Man-Faye.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xy Hapu posted:

The zoom-out looks vaguely like the Eurasian continent, but I couldn't say for sure.

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008
It's a joke.

The continent is shaped like Saitama Prefecture.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Has someone already posted this Dangan Tenshi Fan Club one shot?

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/dangan-tenshi-fan-club-r8012

http://www.miraclejump.net/special/

I can't read the second one so I'm not sure what's going on there.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Xy Hapu posted:

Lot's of anime take place on a planet that resembles but is legally distinguishable from earth.

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
Which event was it that caused Saitama to increase his rank?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

antavila posted:

Which event was it that caused Saitama to increase his rank?

Speed of Sound Sonic. It was in the newspaper on the same page of the manga.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, failedninja's right regarding the shape of the continent.

Murata accounted for the curvature of a globe. :allears:

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah, failedninja's right regarding the shape of the continent.

Murata accounted for the curvature of a globe. :allears:

HOW DOES HE DO THAT?!

I love that once again he's taken what was a couple of badly drawn panels and made 10 double page spreads from it.

As for the story, it makes me laugh that Saitama didn't even think of reporting the seaweed monster which would have probably put him in the A class. Has fighting monsters become so routine for him?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love the way Bang's sweater is drawn in his intro page.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

evilspacehopper posted:

HOW DOES HE DO THAT?!

I love that once again he's taken what was a couple of badly drawn panels and made 10 double page spreads from it.

As for the story, it makes me laugh that Saitama didn't even think of reporting the seaweed monster which would have probably put him in the A class. Has fighting monsters become so routine for him?

Too much trouble. His groceries would spoil and then he'd have to go shopping again, plus it was already time for him to start making dinner.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

evilspacehopper posted:

Saitama never realized the seaweed creature was a dangerous monster terrorizing the city. He thinks it was just a weird but innocent bystander whom he assaulted in his desperation to obtain the cure to baldness. Of course he is not going to report it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Has anyone else noticed the engrish plot summary? It's low resolution, so I've lost a few words, but it's hauntingly beautiful.

My name is SAITAMA. I am a hero. My hobby is hero activity. I became strong too much. Therefore, I am very sad. Any enemy will punch down with one blow. Hair was also lost. Feeling was also lost. I want the ?????? of ?????? in a battle. I would like to meet the strongest enemy. I would like to meet a matchless enemy. And I wold like to punch down with one blow. It is because I am a one punch-man.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Liar posted:

Even odder considering Saitama's Chicago Bulls shirt.

Also now I'm wondering when we'll see Tanktop Man. Wonder if he's anything like long-time cosplay weirdo Man-Faye.

It's actually Tanktop Master. There's a running gag going on that there's a Tanktop X for every rank of hero, starting from Tanktop Tiger and going up all the way to Tanktop Master. You can see him in the left of the bigass group illustration in the OP.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of the picture in the Op, I'm guessing the blond guy in the middle is the S Class Rank 1 hero?

By the way, I wonder if we've seen any Dragon level mysterious beings yet. The Mosquito lady and Asura Rhino seem like they could be Dragon level, but even the giant that was demolishing cities in Chapter 3 was only Demon.

And obviously there's no way we've seen any God level ones(besides Saitama himself).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

No, the rank 1 hero hasn't been shown yet. As for why that guy's in the center... you'll see.

The Japanese wiki mentions offhand that a lot of the early enemies, including Vaccineman and the mosquito girl, were probably dragon level. The manga says that the little brother who used steroids to become a giant was demon level, but judging from the destruction he caused it might've been upgraded to dragon later on if Saitama hadn't punched him.

Super Mario Shoeshine
Jan 24, 2005

such improper posting...

something from pixiv

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Hahaha, that rules. Here, in better resolution.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

"Do you think you have a fear of missing special sales?"

"THAT'S IT!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

In news from Murata's twitter, OPM is entering its fifth print run in Japan, and he's starting preparations for the third volume. Also he's redrawing the sequence in chapter 17 (the Genos/Saitama spar) to fit the format of a printed manga.

Oh, and just because he's is a monster, he added a handful of spreads to that meteors-approaching-Earth sequence in the web raws. Spreads that he'll probably be redrawing completely for the volume release anyway. This guy.