Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Charlie Brooker has better hair than he used to, I don't think he should be chastised for not having poo poo hair anymore. Also I don't know if anyone's serious but having a normal if popular hairstyle isn't the same as the geekpie, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That Brooker makes me so angry with his fancy hair and attractive wife, what a sellout.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Why isn't he hating everything and not making constant masturbation jokes. I am so angry!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

pointsofdata posted:

Want to an hour of NIMBYs and :qq:ing about house prices?

e: 19:20 is comedy gold.

Ahahah. "They're aiming to prove their roads are already busy". Then the lone car just pootling by in the background. I'm convinced that guy KNEW he was going to be a punchline and slowed down.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Leon with a Zero posted:

Someone expertly de-constructed curtis' work by saying something like "You'll believe any link he puts forward once he presents it with hypnotic editing of BBC stock footage interspersed with ambient music from nine inch nails and Brian eno" i forget where that was from though.
Ha found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

I am very fond of an Adam Curtis documentary or two, but this is glorious. Good on the chap who made it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Irisi posted:

I am very fond of an Adam Curtis documentary or two, but this is glorious. Good on the chap who made it.

But he undercuts his own argument. If viewers will believe anything that is put to them with hypnotic music then how can be believe it when he puts to us that people will believe anything that is put to them with hypnotic music with hypnotic music. If what he says is true we can't be confident that what he says is true!

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Just watched Weekly Wipe. It was alright, but the movie review was awful. Brooker came across like a prick when he accused Osman of not caring about slavery.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of Charlie Brooker, he's just Tweeted the new trailer for series 2 of Black Mirror
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld9m8Xrpko0

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Semprini posted:

It certainly did with Jimmy Savile.

Haha

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I watch some UK TV, not a huge amount. It seems like they do pretty good when it comes to racially diverse casting. Especially when it comes to interracial dating, which is still pretty rare on American TV. Is this the case, or am I seeing a pattern that isn't there?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Weekly Wipe was ok. The film review bit was terrible and really offered nothing apart from some people awkward laughing about their attitudes to violence and slavery. If Brooker had used the same critical eye he did on the school shooting bit then it could've been interesting.

Also, get rid of Philomena Chunk. It just doesn't work because you already have Barry Shitpeas doing exactly the same act. The addition of her just feels a little bit like padding, and the joke only really works in short bursts. It's probably the first 'wipe' thing I've been disappointed with.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Mescal posted:

I watch some UK TV, not a huge amount. It seems like they do pretty good when it comes to racially diverse casting. Especially when it comes to interracial dating, which is still pretty rare on American TV. Is this the case, or am I seeing a pattern that isn't there?

Mixed race people are the second largest or are on track (there seem to be conflicting reports) to be the second largest 'non white' group in the UK so it is realistic.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Metrication posted:

Mixed race people are the second largest or are on track (there seem to be conflicting reports) to be the second largest 'non white' group in the UK so it is realistic.

Yeah it's not that UK tv is particularly good at showing interracial relationships, it's just that US tv is really bad at it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

marktheando posted:

Yeah it's not that UK tv is particularly good at showing interracial relationships, it's just that US tv is really bad at it.

Oh, wow. I just looked it up and the UK is 92% white! That's incredible. (The US is 72% white, btw.) I suppose this does back up your point about the US being bad at race on TV.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mescal posted:

Oh, wow. I just looked it up and the UK is 92% white! That's incredible. (The US is 72% white, btw.) I suppose this does back up your point about the US being bad at race on TV.

It's good for black british actors. Look at Idris Elba, who started out slaughtering vampires on UK tv, doing great in Hollywood because US tv has failed to nurture home grown black talent.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I know a bloke who was really going places as a stand-up. He got a haircut and it all went to poo poo.

Don't any of you knobbers ever underestimate the power of a good head of hair.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Mescal posted:

I don't think it's a deliberate attempt on behalf of UK TV to introduce more interracial relationships, more that society here is a bit more tolerant of such things so mixed-race relationships aren't considered noteworthy (apart from a few fringe elements who get upset about such things).

I watch a lot of American TV and I've never noticed an absence of mixed-race relationships. Likewise, when I watch UK TV I don't notice an increase in interracial relationships. Unless you're culturally attuned to notice that kind of thing it doesn't register.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

For all its flaws, Brooker's weekly wipe is a hell of a lot better than than the BBC's previous attempts at semi-comedic weekly news summary shows. It's unfair to hold the programme up to the ridiculous expectations this thread has of Brooker's work, especially considering that his show now fulfills the void previously occupied by stuff like Russell Howard's Good News and Mock the Week. You might not like some of his opinions about a film he watched, or how he had a disagreeable guest, but surely his show is a huge step forward from all the other shite news analysis shows we've had in the past few years.

As far as Doug Stanhope goes, yes he has lovely political opinions but that doesn't mean you have to automatically hate his comedy. There are lots of people who can be funny despite believing unsavoury things about the economy, and its pretty childish to espouse a reactionary dismissal of their work on that basis alone. Particularly when its as non-political as the kind of segments Stanhope typically gets on Brooker's shows.

Also for what its worth I approve of Richard Osman getting more air-time on anything :swoon:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Doctor Chin posted:

I watch a lot of American TV and I've never noticed an absence of mixed-race relationships. Likewise, when I watch UK TV I don't notice an increase in interracial relationships. Unless you're culturally attuned to notice that kind of thing it doesn't register.

Once you notice it it really stands out that a black man will almost always have a black partner. Even in the case of a mixed relationship, it's very very rare for a black guy to be with a white woman on US telly.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

marktheando posted:

It's good for black british actors. Look at Idris Elba, who started out slaughtering vampires on UK tv, doing great in Hollywood because US tv has failed to nurture home grown black talent.
Though Elba moved to NY in the 90s because of the lack of roles available to black men in UK TV way back then. Which he has cited racism for.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Cerv posted:

Though Elba moved to NY in the 90s because of the lack of roles available to black men in UK TV way back then. Which he has cited racism for.

David Harewood (Estes off of Homeland) said pretty much the same thing, he said that a black male was more likely to get a meatier role in the US than the UK.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
If you've not got the DVD, Carpet Remnant World is on Comedy Central Extra tonight at 10, Stewart Lee fans.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Anyone else tempted to try out Netflix just to see the new House of Cards?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Captain Mediocre posted:

For all its flaws, Brooker's weekly wipe is a hell of a lot better than than the BBC's previous attempts at semi-comedic weekly news summary shows. It's unfair to hold the programme up to the ridiculous expectations this thread has of Brooker's work, especially considering that his show now fulfills the void previously occupied by stuff like Russell Howard's Good News and Mock the Week. You might not like some of his opinions about a film he watched, or how he had a disagreeable guest, but surely his show is a huge step forward from all the other shite news analysis shows we've had in the past few years.

As far as Doug Stanhope goes, yes he has lovely political opinions but that doesn't mean you have to automatically hate his comedy. There are lots of people who can be funny despite believing unsavoury things about the economy, and its pretty childish to espouse a reactionary dismissal of their work on that basis alone. Particularly when its as non-political as the kind of segments Stanhope typically gets on Brooker's shows.
I hadn't realised weekly Wipe had such a good slot, that's a hell of a step up. I'm convinced that you could replace every episode of Mock the Week with looped footage of a room full of trained seals honking and clapping and no one would even notice.

As a fan of Top Gear I agree that you can enjoy someone's comedy despite their (awful, awful) political leanings, however I just don't find Stanhope funny at all. I do sometimes enjoy his Wipe segments: my favorite is probably his takedown of Late Night US comedy, it never made me laugh, but it's at least insightful.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006
I don't know, I wouldn't call that a takedown or insightful because its not like anyone here laughs at those jokes either. if people are jaded by the news stories, its probably more the fault of the 24/7 news cycle than late night shows, which have a much longer history and plenty of other issues to comment on than making jokes about war.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Weekly Wipe was okay but not great. What worries me is that this was his first episode, he had time to prepare and used stuff from the last month or so and it still wasn't that great. Next week he will only have a week's worth of new material to do something with so I'm afraid it will get worse if anything.

MrHat
Jun 18, 2005

Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I will be. You can try it for 1 month for free and the whole season is available.
If I don't make it through it all within 1 month I'll consider £5.99 a pretty good price so a show I enjoyed.

Kevin Spacey gave a pretty good quote about the idea:

quote:

Netflix's decision to air all the episodes at once has been called a gamble, but Spacey insists the decision could help combat piracy. 'Give the consumer what they want, when they want it, in the form they want it in, and they will buy it at a reasonable price and not steal it', he told Philly.com. 'So I actually think this way of putting it out there, giving the consumer the option will take a huge bite out of piracy.'
That said it only works when the good shows are available.
The Oatmeal summed it up pretty well ages back:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

MrHat fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 2, 2013

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The enginnering of the whole thing has some disturning undetones:
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/01/how_netflix_is_turning_viewers_into_puppets/

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

cloudchamber posted:

The enginnering of the whole thing has some disturning undetones:
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/01/how_netflix_is_turning_viewers_into_puppets/

Speaking as someone who is fascinated by audience influence and the online distribution model I find that entire article to be disturbing simply because of the amount of bullshit contained within it. What hogcock.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

quote:

I’m guessing this will be good for Netflix’s bottom line, but at what point do we go from being happy subscribers, to mindless puppets?
I dunno, probably at some entirely fictional point that people stop being able to exhibit free will when you put TV programs that they enjoy in front of them?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

FreakyZoid posted:

I dunno, probably at some entirely fictional point that people stop being able to exhibit free will when you put TV programs that they enjoy in front of them?

I don't know, mid-way through the second episode of House of Cards I was stuck by the similarities between Francis Underwood manipulating those around him to get what he wants, leaving people broken and unwanted for his own means, and Netflix's ability to know when I paused a TV Show.

It's only a matter of time before I cross the rubicon and start wetting myself because they have perfected TV so thoroughly that I can't comprehend the use of the pause button despite my bodily functions screaming out to be heard over Kevin Spacey's sensual southern drawl.

NETFLIX PRESENTS: Infinite Jest

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 2, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

MrHat posted:

Kevin Spacey gave a pretty good quote about the idea:

Kevin Spacey saying what we've been saying for years. If I can pay £6 a month and get whole series lined up to watch at my leisure in one go, the same time as the rest of the world, and without adverts... well that makes a usenet subscription redundant.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Captain Mediocre posted:

For all its flaws, Brooker's weekly wipe is a hell of a lot better than than the BBC's previous attempts at semi-comedic weekly news summary shows. It's unfair to hold the programme up to the ridiculous expectations this thread has of Brooker's work, especially considering that his show now fulfills the void previously occupied by stuff like Russell Howard's Good News and Mock the Week.

Actually the only comparison I was making was that I'd just been watching How I met Your Mother on E4, which was pretty drat terrible, and then switched over to Wipe and didn't really get much more amusement out of it. Not every part was meant to be funny, of course, and I think I appreciated those parts more. Like fookin pinkilicious, ugh.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ironically the Netflix model of distribution actually makes it harder to tweak series based on viewer data than it does for a show that is being produced while airing episodes. Sure, Season Two might see some refinement based off that feedback and critic reactions, but that's normal for any series.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Kevin Spacey saying what we've been saying for years. If I can pay £6 a month and get whole series lined up to watch at my leisure in one go, the same time as the rest of the world, and without adverts... well that makes a usenet subscription redundant.
Game of Thrones is one of the most pirated TV shows. Game of Thrones takes around a year to be released on bluray & dvd. Does anyone working in TV really think that's a coincidence?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

FreakyZoid posted:

Game of Thrones is one of the most pirated TV shows. Game of Thrones takes around a year to be released on bluray & dvd. Does anyone working in TV really think that's a coincidence?
No but I'm sure it makes a good sob story about the mean pirates using their 666 branded techno-bullshit to steal TV from the hard working 'merican heartland or something.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
i really touched a nerve with the Brooker hair thing, didn't it?

As for Netflix, I subscribe to the UK version and pay a tiny fee to Unblock-US so I can get my grubby little hands on the US library which is much larger.

Got no issues with series only being available on Netflix - it's the way forward.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

i really touched a nerve with the Brooker hair thing, didn't it?

As for Netflix, I subscribe to the UK version and pay a tiny fee to Unblock-US so I can get my grubby little hands on the US library which is much larger.

Got no issues with series only being available on Netflix - it's the way forward.

The Mediahint plugin for Chrome/Firefox also unlocks the US Netflix, its free rather than a paid VPN.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

twoot posted:

The Mediahint plugin for Chrome/Firefox also unlocks the US Netflix, its free rather than a paid VPN.

This is what I use. Saves the extra money paying for a VPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Mediahint or MediaPimp?

Can't find the firefox version