Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Mortabis posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for how to get the charcoal from MOPP gear off of boots? This poo poo is disgusting. My boots are no joke solid black.

DX them and hope your supply guys are cool with giving you new ones, if not soap + brush will still leave them tinted slightly no matter what you do. Some guys just spray paint them flat tan and set them aside for FTX-only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Edit: yeah, spray paint failing all else.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Pressure washer will get out oil stains so maybe you can use it to get out mopp gear charcoal.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Excuse a civilian's question, but how do you get MOPP charcoal all over your boots? Were you not wearing overboots? Actually curious, I've worn NBC gear but not in a training scenario.

e:

Icon Of Sin posted:

:stare: you actually trained in MOPP gear? I never even touched the stuff (beyond the mask) in over 4 years in the army.

Ok, at least I don't feel like a dumbass for not getting how that happened.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
I dont even know how its possible to get charcoal on poo poo unless it was from a decon kit. i've loving NBC for like 5 years now and I've never gotten charcoal from a JSLIST ever, unless you're still rocking a CPOG with the button snaps and poo poo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's super easy to get it all over you with the old suits, which they're probably still issuing for training purposes.

The real solution is to go to another unit's laundry room and wash the MOPP suit before you put it on. Then you don't have to worry about it.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
I havent seen the old suit in an inventory for like 7 years man thats crazy, yeah those were messy but theyre not even worth using for training because they're completely obsolete.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Last time I went through it in 2011 the training gear was a mix of JLIST and old poo poo. Everyone had to have the new masks though, unless you wore glasses because even Jesus couldn't get the inserts for them (since this is the AF, that means something).

Edit: And that was the first time I'd seen JLIST.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Am I the only one who has done a MOPP gear hike?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Christoff posted:

That's retarded. Smeper fi.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Vasudus posted:

It's super easy to get it all over you with the old suits, which they're probably still issuing for training purposes.

They were old suits. Some of them were m81 woodland, the rest were OD green. They had all the snaps and poo poo. The insides were lined with charcoal. I think they were borrowed from the NY National Guard armory down the road.

quote:

The real solution is to go to another unit's laundry room and wash the MOPP suit before you put it on. Then you don't have to worry about it.
Yeah I'll be sure to tell the MS3s and MS4s to do that next time, once they're done having their asses chewed and getting smoked to Mars and back for the huge mess this poo poo made in the school gym.

Here's a picture of the boots

HiroProtagonist posted:

Excuse a civilian's question, but how do you get MOPP charcoal all over your boots? Were you not wearing overboots? Actually curious, I've worn NBC gear but not in a training scenario.

I was wearing overboots yeah but it got on my boots when I was pulling the pants on.

I don't think I'm going to do the spray paint thing. I've been working at the boots and they're a little cleaner but this poo poo just won't come off. The boots suck anyway though so it's not a huge loss, fortunately. Still it's annoying, I'm just going to keep them in plastic bags so the stuff doesn't get all over my apartment.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Last time I went through it in 2011 the training gear was a mix of JLIST and old poo poo. Everyone had to have the new masks though, unless you wore glasses because even Jesus couldn't get the inserts for them (since this is the AF, that means something).

Edit: And that was the first time I'd seen JLIST.

They replaced the old poo poo across the board with JSLIST at Elmo in the 2011ish timeframe, IIRC...I honestly don't know for sure because I had no chem gear for my last year and a half there, which was awesome. They had M50s from right around when I first got up there in '09, though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Holy poo poo those are filthy.

I think the last time I wore a MOPP suit was before I deployed and we all still had BDUs and black boots. So like, 9 years ago. gently caress those suits.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mortabis posted:

Here's a picture of the boots

Jesus, go get some suede degreaser from a shoe store, otherwise those boots are hosed dude.

e: hope you like paintballing or H4H or something, cause that pair isn't going to muster.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Holy poo poo those are filthy.

I think the last time I wore a MOPP suit was before I deployed and we all still had BDUs and black boots. So like, 9 years ago. gently caress those suits.

A platoon's worth of MOPP suits will burn for 3 days straight. We got rid of our stuff in OIF 1 on the way back down to Kuwait. You know, right after the "Mission Accomplished" press releases.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Christoff posted:

nope.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Christoff posted:

nope.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

did a MOPP gear run. don't loving ask me why.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I ran (not far) in a pro mask once because I thought I was hard.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DRONES CURE HAJI posted:

did a MOPP gear run. don't loving ask me why.

Me too. We did a Battalion MOPP gear run one time back in late 02 in preparation for going to OIF. Half the Battalion fell out before we were two blocks down the road. Our 1.5 mile run turned into a .5 mile run/walk/run and none of our leadership ever spoke of the event again.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Breathing in the gas mask was irritating enough and I was just standing around in a gymnasium. Forget running in it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

I ran (not far) in a pro mask once because I thought I was hard.

I ran up a steep hill in MOPP 4 during an exercise once. Then I got yelled at for kneeling while pulling security because I "was contaminating my suit".

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Not all of those stupid masks are created equal. I've had 4 different ones, and all were at various stages of ease of breathing. My one in basic that I was issued for the gas chamber made breathing hard as gently caress, yet, somehow, didn't make a proper seal at the same time. I just assumed they were all poo poo.

Had to do another gas chamber in Korea, thinking how fuckin' lovely it was gonna be, but my mask breathed easily, and sealed up good. Smooooooth sailing, suckas.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Do they make you remove your mask in the gas chamber outside of basic? I mean it's funny in retrospect but that poo poo sucks.

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

LYING ABOUT BEING A US MARINE

HATING ON TRANSPEOPLE BUT SECRETLY DATING ONE

CLAIMING TO HAVE PTSD ON MY OKCUPID PROFILE

HAVING A TRIFORCE TATTOO ON MY NECK
Fruity Ruddy does errything in MOPP gear

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

not caring here posted:

Not all of those stupid masks are created equal. I've had 4 different ones, and all were at various stages of ease of breathing. My one in basic that I was issued for the gas chamber made breathing hard as gently caress, yet, somehow, didn't make a proper seal at the same time. I just assumed they were all poo poo.

Had to do another gas chamber in Korea, thinking how fuckin' lovely it was gonna be, but my mask breathed easily, and sealed up good. Smooooooth sailing, suckas.

Probably has to do with the filter.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DoktorLoken posted:

Do they make you remove your mask in the gas chamber outside of basic? I mean it's funny in retrospect but that poo poo sucks.

In the Marine Corps, we used to have to remove the mask and hold it in front of us at arms length. It's changed in the last 5-10 years to where we now have to put two fingers through each side and touch the lenses in order to break the seal and demonstrate we know to clear the mask.

It seems there used to be too much leeway for our NBC Marines to haze the poo poo out of anyone they didn't like. Since you obviously have to close your eyes when removing the mask, you cannot tell when everyone has theirs off. Old chambers I used to go through, I could never hold my breath long enough to make it through the clear part. Turns out the NBC guys would just wait until everyone was breathing CS before allowing us to don and clear our masks. I know they tried charging some of our NBC guys for hazing because of the way they ran chambers but I was too junior to have any idea whether or not they wound up getting punished.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

DoktorLoken posted:

I've done it twice more since basic and had to totally remove it both times. Name, rank, last 4. Seal up again, clear, exit.

Get a good mask and it's no problems though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Only did it during LDAC. MOPP up, go in, do some jumping jacks, break seal and re-seal, do more jumping jacks, take off your mask and answer a few questions, then out the door you go.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

nwin posted:

Are there any medical guys that post here that might have info on SSRI use in the military? I know USCG and other branch's regs probably differ, but I'd like to bounce something off someone, preferably over PM.

From several days ago, but unanswered.

In the Air Force, you are non-deployable for 90 days after you start any psychoactive medication to prove that you aren't going to have a reaction. Other than that, there's no issue.

Getting into the AF after being treated for depression or anxiety, on the other hand, can be a problem.

None of the services will kick you out for simply being treated for anxiety/depression with an SSRI. It may be disqualifying for certain special duties (e.g., PRP program [handling nukes]), but won't get you bounced.

I've said this before, but please just PM me or post in the AF thread with any/all medical questions. I don't check this thread enough since it's rarely remotely relevant to anything I do. I also got tired of med students and wannabes in TGD and gave up posting there a long time ago.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
In case anyone was wondering, we would all die in a chemical environment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

Bullshit. I always wear a disco belt.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
I'm PCSing across the country and have a few questions: My understanding is that I'm allowed 9 days and 2900 miles, am I going to get paid this even if I did it in a shorter distance/time? I know I won't be doing it in a shorter distance, but time for sure. I'm authorized the standard $123/day, do I have to prove 9 days of hotels to get those days of lodging rates or are they just going to pay me 24 cents a mile x 2900 miles, plus 9 days x $123 regardless of how I do it?

edit: If you have a link to a reg clarifying this that would be awesome.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yes, think of it as free leave.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Christoff posted:

Yes, think of it as free leave.

Not necessarily the case...you'll get reimbursed the mileage regardless of the time you take or the actual mileage you use (you get reimbursed based on mileage tables from point A to point B, not on how much you actually drive) but unless the AF does things differently from the other services (it shouldn't, since PCS travel is a DoD wide thing) you will only get reimbursed the total amount of days from when you leave your old unit/duty station to when you sign in to your new unit.

Now as far as I know you will still get the $123 a day even if you don't have a hotel receipt (for example if you were staying with friends/family while you were on the road or something) since it is per diem for all incidentals while traveling, not just lodging, but once you sign in to the unit you stop getting that. So what I'm saying is that regardless of how many days the travel takes you, you're an idiot if you sign in to your new unit before you use up all your allotted travel days.

As for a reg I'm too lazy to go look but the JFTR will tell you everything you need to know regarding PCS travel.

e: And obviously if you fly then that's a whole 'nother thing as far as reimbursement goes.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

Not necessarily the case...you'll get reimbursed the mileage regardless of the time you take or the actual mileage you use (you get reimbursed based on mileage tables from point A to point B, not on how much you actually drive) but unless the AF does things differently from the other services (it shouldn't, since PCS travel is a DoD wide thing) you will only get reimbursed the total amount of days from when you leave your old unit/duty station to when you sign in to your new unit.

Now as far as I know you will still get the $123 a day even if you don't have a hotel receipt (for example if you were staying with friends/family while you were on the road or something) since it is per diem for all incidentals while traveling, not just lodging, but once you sign in to the unit you stop getting that. So what I'm saying is that regardless of how many days the travel takes you, you're an idiot if you sign in to your new unit before you use up all your allotted travel days.

As for a reg I'm too lazy to go look but the JFTR will tell you everything you need to know regarding PCS travel.

e: And obviously if you fly then that's a whole 'nother thing as far as reimbursement goes.

My travel time will exceed the allotted time (I've got leave time in there too), and mileage is going to be over so I'm just expecting to get what the rate is. Where I'm confused is the per diem. There is a breakdown in JTFR saying $77 of the $123 is the lodging cost, and they do require you to keep a receipt of all lodging, but I haven't read enough of it to understand if you do or don't get that money regardless of where you stay.

On top of that, $77/day is their standard lodging rate, which might get me into a campground in some parts of the country and a 5 star hotel in others. I've been told that each economy has a "standard rate" and as long as you don't exceed that they'll adjust your compensation.

My plan so far is to just get it done as quickly as possible, visit some friends on the way, and spend as little money as I can. When its all said and done, hopefully they'll let me keep everything I didn't spend and I'll come out ahead. I'm a single enlisted doing a full DITY, I don't have that much weight, and I'm not all that interested in moving 9 weight sets across the country to make a few extra bucks.

With that in mind, any other PCS advice would be great.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

iceslice posted:

My travel time will exceed the allotted time (I've got leave time in there too), and mileage is going to be over so I'm just expecting to get what the rate is. Where I'm confused is the per diem. There is a breakdown in JTFR saying $77 of the $123 is the lodging cost, and they do require you to keep a receipt of all lodging, but I haven't read enough of it to understand if you do or don't get that money regardless of where you stay.

On top of that, $77/day is their standard lodging rate, which might get me into a campground in some parts of the country and a 5 star hotel in others. I've been told that each economy has a "standard rate" and as long as you don't exceed that they'll adjust your compensation.

My plan so far is to just get it done as quickly as possible, visit some friends on the way, and spend as little money as I can. When its all said and done, hopefully they'll let me keep everything I didn't spend and I'll come out ahead. I'm a single enlisted doing a full DITY, I don't have that much weight, and I'm not all that interested in moving 9 weight sets across the country to make a few extra bucks.

With that in mind, any other PCS advice would be great.

Keep receipts for gas, truck rental, packing supplies, etc. You will get paid the same rate based on weight moved regardless of how many receipts you show. However, the more receipts you have showing costs associated with the move, the less tax burden you will have. The profit you make on a DITY move is taxed at a higher than normal rate (I forget the exact rate but it's in the 20 some odd percent range).

Your Per Diem is paid regardless of receipts. It makes no difference if you sleep in your car or in the Hilton, you get paid the same rate based on the number of travel days allocated.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Hekk posted:

Your Per Diem is paid regardless of receipts. It makes no difference if you sleep in your car or in the Hilton, you get paid the same rate based on the number of travel days allocated.

Or if you are driving out on the Alcan and the cheapest, most fleabag motel you can find in the Yukon is still $30 more a night than what they're paying you per diem.

Also having just done one what he said about DITY/PPM is correct...they will still want to see receipts when you file your travel voucher (not your DITY/PPM voucher, that's separate), but I'm not really sure why since per diem is the same rate.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

I've got plastic and duct tape, though. I'll be alright, right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

grover posted:

I've got plastic and duct tape, though. I'll be alright, right? :ohdear:

Throw in a nickel and a wish and you're set.

No wait. Jetski.

• Locked thread