Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Stymie posted:

jek tono porkins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

sacul mlifdab

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
nice heels.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

did jabba name him? that would excuse it.

hey, jabba no badda

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
oh lord i think that i'm turning into a cd poster and i've never even been there.

i just pulled up the robot beatdown scene from prometheus on my computer for a quick laugh and "got" it. i knew that ridley scott had said in an interview that the robot was giving a basic "we come in peace" introduction. what "must" have happened was that when the alien touched michael fassbender's head it could somehow sense that he was a robot and his deliberately organic appearance was deceptive and showed that he could not be trusted and was probably a threat. so it ripped his head off.

now i realize that this is still pretty retarded and is basically an ad hoc explanation (it immediately decided to kill this random guy after jumping to a really drastic conclusion about his intent because it "somehow" knew that he was a robot) but i don't know why the scene would have even been written if it isn't true. it troubles me that i was actually able to "think" on the level of the cd thread (see nonsensical lovely writing, subconsciously attempt to fit it into some kind of explanation) in order to come up with this. the movie only makes sense if you explain everything away like a conspiracy theorist and for about 30 seconds tonight i was that conspiracy theorist.

please help me because i'm convinced that this is what they were going for and it scares me that i picked up on it.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 2, 2013

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i interpreted that scene in prometheus as, imagine you're a scientist experimenting on some rats, doing brain surgery or whatever to raise their intelligence

you take a nap one day and when you wake up, there's a bunch of huge rats now walking upright, wearing mockeries of clothing and carrying crude instruments along with some sort of mechanical rat that they created

the mechanical rat croaks out "why make you us?" while the other rats look on

i think the sensible reaction would be to freak out

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Stop making CD style posts.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
In fact, just stop posting.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Stymie posted:

i interpreted that scene in prometheus as,
this is reassuring, i see that i still have a ways to go.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 2, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
the guy who lets them land is named land-o

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

Deacon of Delicious posted:

have you been reading your posts

especially that one with all of the capital letters

you don't get to call anyone else autistic

bless :tipshat:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you see average sci-fi tropes are like

*jumps off a cliff*

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ahmeni posted:

the rest was okay
starting player of games now, hope it's good

it's good, i kinda liked consider phelbas more, but starting with player of games is way easier and is a good idea™

i'm now reading look to windward and it is also good. books are cool

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
We're talking stupid Star Wars names and no one has even mentioned "Skywalker" yet?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ol qwerty bastard posted:

We're talking stupid Star Wars names and no one has even mentioned "Skywalker" yet?

You mean George Lucas' character "Luke S."?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
oh god shut up all of you nobody cares what you think about star wars

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

I like the word wookie. Wookie wookie wookie

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Heresiarch posted:

excuse me i have good opinions on star wars

like this, this owns:

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

starkiller

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

oh of the connecticut starkillers?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hashtag Nascar posted:

I like the word wookie. Wookie wookie wookie
it's wookiee you moron.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ieewook

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shut up about starwars!!!

aaaa

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Well no one wanted to talk about China Mieville, so Star Wars it is.

Man come to think of it, they should get him to write the script for a Star Wars movie. It'd be like what I imagine David Lynch's "Dune" could have been.

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

qntm posted:

You mean George Lucas' character "Luke S."?

:psypop:

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

Heresiarch posted:

mods?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the guy who lets them land is named land-o

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Well no one wanted to talk about China Mieville, so Star Wars it is.

Man come to think of it, they should get him to write the script for a Star Wars movie. It'd be like what I imagine David Lynch's "Dune" could have been.

i havent read any, is it good? the name sounds super dumb but thats probably my racism showing through

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

I really enjoy his writing. It's weird, and he throws a lot of ideas at you, and his books aren't particularly easy reads, but they are really satisfying. He's got a way of building up non-standard fantasy/sci-fi worlds that really make you feel like they could be real somehow.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My thoughts on China Mieville:

Perdido Street Station is a monster story set in a really cool city
The Scar is like whoa
Iron Council is OK, just gets a little drawn-out
The City and The City is fun once you suspend disbelief of the completely ridiculous premise
If you think I'm reading the "On board the moletrain Medes, Sham Yes ap Soorap watches in awe as he witnesses his first moldywarpe hunt" book you're high

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Agreed.
Agreed.
Agreed.
Haven't read it yet.
Gets better; the writing does stay consistently strange but at least it's a stylistic choice and not because he's a bad writer (I'll admit the way that every "and" is replaced with "&" is maybe a bit much). The story is good. It reminds me of Disney's "Treasure Planet" for some reason.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can already tell VALIS is going to be a trip and a half from the way the narration switches from third to first person and back within the same paragraph and the way he can't seem to decide whether the main character is his creation or his alter ego or what

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 2, 2013

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i sure am tired of all these star wars

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gooby on rails posted:

I can already tell VALIS is going to be a trip and a half from the way the narration switches from third to first person and back within the same paragraph and the way he can't seem to decide whether the main character is his creation or his alter ego or what

Dick is kindof a bad writer but his ideas, stories and settings are good. At least I thought his prose was kinda bland at best.

Also I guess I'll check out some Mieville. Thanks dudes.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Stymie posted:

i sure am tired of all these star wars

ewoks are like cattes on space tehehe

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

Agreed.
Agreed.
Agreed.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H99DjUzafAM

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

This video contains content from Kobalt Music Publishing and EMI, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhf0rnEW4X4

• Locked thread