Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

holy moly, the PBtT / TA split is incredible. That PBbT song is just absolutely stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Boris told the world about their new album, but in their native tongue.

"boris "pr in para" vinyl.
1 st pressing limited 180 g copy.

2013 / 03 / 06 Release
side a
december 1.
2. Elegy for-elegy-
3. evil stack 3
4. An hourglass-monologue-

5. method of error
side b
6. bataille sucre
7. perforated line
8. Inner-castel in the air-Cup
9. mirano
10. On canvas-canvas-

11. maeve

produced by boris & narita shinobu
DYMV995
3675 yen (Tax in) Daymare Recordings"

and that Thing That Solomon Overlooked set is CD only but has all the jams on it. I think that this is gonna be released on tour only since it coincides with the start of their US tours.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

Farts Domino posted:

not that I want to haul this debate back up but from a consumer standpoint, gawwwwd I agree. Ask a record store owner and I bet they think it can stay around for much much longer.

I dunno, pretty much every record store owner I've talked to about it has a fairly open disdain for RSD.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I think the only record stores that somewhat like RSD are the ones that are borderline chains like Amoeba, Easy Street (not anymore!), etc.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

WASDF posted:

I think the only record stores that somewhat like RSD are the ones that are borderline chains like Amoeba, Easy Street (not anymore!), etc.

Yea, a few like the traffic boost but I've heard a lot of grumbling that if you aren't Zia (the regional chain) you only get a fraction of your order and a lot of disappointed customers.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
When a brand new record arrives warped, is it a manufacturing error or has it just been stored really badly or something? I received a new 2xLP in the post and sides A/B move around quite a bit on my turntable. It doesn't affect the sound noticeably, but it still bums me out that a brand new record that was still pretty pricey can arrive warped like that :/ I kind of want to complain, but I don't know where the blame lies or what good it would do.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
A friend of mine shared this link from WFMU with me, so I thought I'd leave it here for those who haven't seen it yet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Darthemed posted:

A friend of mine shared this link from WFMU with me, so I thought I'd leave it here for those who haven't seen it yet.

They should have called that list "Awesome places you'll never be able to go".

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
This is not a true blind test as there is no constant but I thought it would be fun to see who could tell the difference between the following two audio files:

Sample 1
Sample 2

Can you tell which equipment was used for each recording? Which do you prefer.

Turntable - Technics SL-1200 Mk2 [Direct Drive Quartz Lock] (2010)
Turntable - Garrard 4HF [Idler] (1963)

Cartridge - Stanton 500 Mk3 [$25] (2012)
Cartridge - Shure M97xE [$100] (2007)

Everything after the cartridge was identical for each sample. I know the levels are out, my bad.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

To me it sounded like the first one handled the highs better but the second had worse highs and only slightly better lows.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

This is not a true blind test as there is no constant but I thought it would be fun to see who could tell the difference between the following two audio files:

Sample 1
Sample 2

Can you tell which equipment was used for each recording? Which do you prefer.

Turntable - Technics SL-1200 Mk2 [Direct Drive Quartz Lock] (2010)
Turntable - Garrard 4HF [Idler] (1963)

Cartridge - Stanton 500 Mk3 [$25] (2012)
Cartridge - Shure M97xE [$100] (2007)

Everything after the cartridge was identical for each sample. I know the levels are out, my bad.

Not to poo poo on what you're doing here, but everyone will being hearing this a different way (due to the varying levels of quality between people's computer speakers), so you'll probably get a variety of answers.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Not to poo poo on what you're doing here, but everyone will being hearing this a different way (due to the varying levels of quality between people's computer speakers), so you'll probably get a variety of answers.

Yeah that's true, there's no real hard science here. Just wanted to see whether people could notice a big difference, and whether they preferred the cheap or expensive cart. It was something I already did on my Facebook, and the response leaned favorably towards the :20bux: DJ cart.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

Yeah that's true, there's no real hard science here. Just wanted to see whether people could notice a big difference, and whether they preferred the cheap or expensive cart. It was something I already did on my Facebook, and the response leaned favorably towards the :20bux: DJ cart.

Sound issues aside you should also consider that DJ carts have a tendency to require higher amounts of tracking force which can put excessive wear on your discs.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
High amounts of wear at higher tracking forces are really only an issue with elliptical. It sounds scary to some, but 5 grams with a clean conical and clean discs you are fine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

5 grams? You're a madman!

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Haha it's a spring loaded arm on a turntable from 1963, this poo poo was HI-muthafkn-FI in the day! Can you tell which sample was this record eraser!

fe: I run it at 2.5, but seriously, 5 is totally fine on a conical low compliance provided everything else is also lubed to hell and running well.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Speaking of wear, my second hand Technics will arrive sometime next week. It comes with an Ortofone Pink scratch cartridge, I'll be replacing it but not for a little while, it's not going to destroy my records if I just treat it as a normal cartridge is it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Completely off topic, but does anyone here have experience selling an especially valuable record? I just found out that something I have an extra copy of quadrupled in value since I got it and I'd like to sell it before that bubble bursts. I'm considering ebay, but I'm concerned that A)I might not get the best value I can that way and B) I'm hesitant to do that because I got burned once by a buyer there who claimed they didn't receive the item (ebay sided with them). I'm more concerned about the latter, honestly. I wouldn't be opposed to selling it to a record shop (in fact I'd prefer this) but they barely give you 40% of the total value if you're lucky.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Laser Cow posted:

Speaking of wear, my second hand Technics will arrive sometime next week. It comes with an Ortofone Pink scratch cartridge, I'll be replacing it but not for a little while, it's not going to destroy my records if I just treat it as a normal cartridge is it?

See, the problem with a secondhand stylus is that it's entirely possible for the actual diamond part to be chipped, cracked or worn in a way that will wear records but is also impossible to see without a microscope. On a stylus that you do not know the provenance of this is entirely possible. It's unlikely that this is the case but it does happen.

Luckily however, your cartridge is part of a very large family of crossover DJ/Hi-Fi cartridges which have up-gradable styli. The Ortofon Pink shares the same cartridge engine as the Concorde and OM series. IIRC you can swap styli between them. Meaning that replacing the conical scratch tip with something like the OM5e stylus will instantly turn this into a decent entry level Hi-Fi performer.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
That's really good to know and a really good idea. Thanks for the advice.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

CPL593H posted:

Completely off topic, but does anyone here have experience selling an especially valuable record? I just found out that something I have an extra copy of quadrupled in value since I got it and I'd like to sell it before that bubble bursts. I'm considering ebay, but I'm concerned that A)I might not get the best value I can that way and B) I'm hesitant to do that because I got burned once by a buyer there who claimed they didn't receive the item (ebay sided with them). I'm more concerned about the latter, honestly. I wouldn't be opposed to selling it to a record shop (in fact I'd prefer this) but they barely give you 40% of the total value if you're lucky.

Did you have shipping confirmation when you got burned from an eBay buyer? I can't imagine that if you have proof that the item was signed for that they'd side with the buyer (but this IS eBay we're talking about, so I apologize if that's exactly what happened).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

CPL593H posted:

Discogs or an auction in SA-Mart usually work well.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

CPL593H posted:

They should have called that list "Awesome places you'll never be able to go".

Speak for yourself, I only live an hour from Euclid :dance:.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Pretty sure that something in my vinyl setup means I'm not getting as much bass as I should be. I've thought this for a while, but my friend who also has a record player came over to listen today and confirmed my suspicions. The bass response seems fine when I hook my computer up to my amp and play it through my stereo, but when I use my turntable there is very little bass. I think the bass cone in my left speaker is damaged (they're my dad's old ones), but other than that, where could the fault lie? I checked all of my connections and stuff and they all seem fine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

nomapple posted:

Pretty sure that something in my vinyl setup means I'm not getting as much bass as I should be. I've thought this for a while, but my friend who also has a record player came over to listen today and confirmed my suspicions. The bass response seems fine when I hook my computer up to my amp and play it through my stereo, but when I use my turntable there is very little bass. I think the bass cone in my left speaker is damaged (they're my dad's old ones), but other than that, where could the fault lie? I checked all of my connections and stuff and they all seem fine.

Have you tried hooking up different speakers? It sounds like the ones you got are hosed.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

CPL593H posted:

Sell it in a record shop on consignment.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Wilbur Swain posted:

Sell it in a record shop on consignment.

Considering the typical price of the album, that may take a while.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

Considering the typical price of the album, that may take a while.

Does anyone currently have it listed for sale on discogs? If not, list it there...or just list it there in the mean time while you explore other options.

Edit: I have no experience selling vinyl, but paying extra for delivery confirmation would probably be a good idea. Then if someone claims they never got it you have a record of it being delivered.

Kevar fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 2, 2013

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Darthemed posted:

So far I've been to probably the easiest three on there, Rough Trade, Amoeba, and The Thing.

The Thing is pretty beautiful (for old busted vinyl fans and junk lovers), but aside from dusty good looks and musty smells it's one of the biggest piles of picked over scraps imaginable. The basement is a great place to just chill and stare at bad album art for hours but the only thing I remember buying there is a not-so-bad 12" by a very bitter wheelchair-bound gangsta dancehall rapper who I think was called Crooked.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Yeah the Thing is kind of a disappointment and not even as overwhelming as I expected.

Euclid NOLA rules, they my bros

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Is there a dedicated thread anywhere about buying/selling on discogs?

I just got my first order, but I don't even know where to go to get record mailers etc. (Help, UK goons!)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

nomapple posted:

Is there a dedicated thread anywhere about buying/selling on discogs?

I just got my first order, but I don't even know where to go to get record mailers etc. (Help, UK goons!)

I know this won't help you now, but I usually just save some from when I order poo poo. I learned this lesson after I found out how much of a pain in the rear end it it to find boxes suitable for mailing records. As far as I know you can buy them from various websites, but I think a lot of places require you to buy them in bulk. This is the first place that comes to mind for poo poo like this: http://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSearchResult.aspx?KeywordTyped=record&keywords=Vinyl%20Records

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I know this won't help you now, but I usually just save some from when I order poo poo. I learned this lesson after I found out how much of a pain in the rear end it it to find boxes suitable for mailing records. As far as I know you can buy them from various websites, but I think a lot of places require you to buy them in bulk. This is the first place that comes to mind for poo poo like this: http://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSearchResult.aspx?KeywordTyped=record&keywords=Vinyl%20Records

I found a place that sells them in batches of 10 for reasonable prices. Picked me up some "FRAGILE" tape and some bubble wrap. I actually have a good condition box ready to go from the last LP I received, so there's that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

nomapple posted:

Have you checked your speakers to make sure they aren't out of phase?

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone have any tips for expanding the center hole on an LP just slightly? Just picked up a new album and it's a really tight fit on the platter.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Space Jam posted:

Does anyone have any tips for expanding the center hole on an LP just slightly? Just picked up a new album and it's a really tight fit on the platter.

Put it on and take it off the spindle repeatedly. Or just take a pen-knife, insert it in the hole, and rotate it a few times.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Space Jam posted:

My BTBAM- Colours album got stuck to the platter yesterday and it was loving scary!

alg posted:

Have you checked your speakers to make sure they aren't out of phase?

Mystery solved. This mug has been using an amp without a phono stage. :suicide:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

nomapple posted:

It could be something in your phono stage or preamp.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Space Jam posted:

I had this perfect pen for this. I would just put it in the hole and spin the record a bit and it would then fit flawlessly. I'm pretty sure someone went into my room and picked it up because I can't find it anymore. I now just kind of jam it on the spindle and then spin it around in a controlled way. I tried a knife on my White Light/White Heat record but it didn't do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

nomapple posted:

My BTBAM- Colours album

poo poo, i'm really jealous. They go for way too much on ebay.